Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Effect volume on Diamond Controller  (Read 3704 times)
Zalbaag
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -42

Dark...Light...we are bound only to the Force

« on: April 19, 2017, 08:36:18 PM »

Hi everyone,

I just got my first saber with the diamond controller and I was messing around with effects when I noticed that the volume setting on the edit effects screen didn't seem to do anything once the effect went to the saber.

I have some fonts I've used with obsidian sound cards that are very loud and I'd like to lower the volume so that it isn't insanely loud on the saber. Anyone know how to effectively lower the volume on diamond controller effects?

Sabers I Own: Scorpion - Emerald Driver and V4 sound
Dominix LE V4 - Guardian Blue stunt saber
Manticore CE - SRD w/V4 sound
Crimson Scorpion - Emerald Driver and V4 sound (raffle prize)
Shock LE - Tri Fire Orange w/V4 sound
Aeon v4 - Blazing Red (raffle prize)
Archon v3 - Tri GB w/V4 sound
Graflex SE - GB w/V4 sound (raffle prize)
Manticore - AB w/V4 sound (raffle prize)
Emperor's Hand - Diamond
Crimson Reaper - Emerald w/V3 sound (raffle prize)

RSX Engineering
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 54

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 11:04:15 AM »

Hi everyone,

I just got my first saber with the diamond controller and I was messing around with effects when I noticed that the volume setting on the edit effects screen didn't seem to do anything once the effect went to the saber.

I have some fonts I've used with obsidian sound cards that are very loud and I'd like to lower the volume so that it isn't insanely loud on the saber. Anyone know how to effectively lower the volume on diamond controller effects?

Unfortunately there's a bug in the software, which disregards the volume setting. We're working on this issue and it will be fixed in the following upgrade, but until then, I'm afraid your best option is to scale down the volume of the original sound before uploading it to Diamond. You could use Audacity for that - a nice tutorial is here: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=11033.0

Marius.

Zalbaag
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 01:27:23 PM »

Unfortunately there's a bug in the software, which disregards the volume setting. We're working on this issue and it will be fixed in the following upgrade, but until then, I'm afraid your best option is to scale down the volume of the original sound before uploading it to Diamond. You could use Audacity for that - a nice tutorial is here: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=11033.0

Marius.

Thanks for the info!  The strange thing is, I've tried making the effects quieter in audacity, but they always seem to come out at the same volume once added to the saber. I've even had the same sound effect at different effective volumes in the effects editor screen, and when you listen to them on your computer one is definitely quieter, but once it's on the saber they are at the same volume.

Emperor's Hand - Diamond

Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 01:50:35 PM »

Zalbaag,
This is how you lower the volume on your sounds after uploading them to Audicity.  Careful when increasing volume however as often times they become distorted. The slider at the top of the box showing in this image will allow you to lower your sound. Then after you just save it and load it to your saber. Just make sure the rates are 48000 and bit is 16 before saving or it will not load. The bit typically changes on you when altering anything.

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

Zalbaag
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 02:41:43 PM »

Zalbaag,
This is how you lower the volume on your sounds after uploading them to Audicity.  Careful when increasing volume however as often times they become distorted. The slider at the top of the box showing in this image will allow you to lower your sound. Then after you just save it and load it to your saber. Just make sure the rates are 48000 and bit is 16 before saving or it will not load. The bit typically changes on you when altering anything.

Thanks! I will try this tonight!

Emperor's Hand - Diamond

Zalbaag
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 06:31:07 PM »

I tried adjusting the volume in the ways described above to no avail.  I even turned the output volume down to basically zero and it still comes out at full volume when I load the file onto the saber.  Marius, would you happen to know if there is a timeline for the bug fix that you mentioned?

Thanks!

Emperor's Hand - Diamond

Choc-O
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 6

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 02:01:35 AM »

Anyone know how to effectively lower the volume on diamond controller effects?

I was trying to figure it out also. Everyone in the family find it very loud (especially my wife  Cheesy)

Thanks for the thread !

My Sabers (10)
Dominix LE V2 (CG) (Grab Bag) | Prophecy V3 (RD) | Crimson Scorpion (Sound) (DVA & BH FoC) | Menace CE (Emerald) | Initiate V2 (AB) | Initiate V2 (CG) | Sentinel V4 (Diamond) | Black Reaper (Diamond) | Manticore (BR) (Sound V3) (Second Prize Spring Raffle 2017) | Guardian (Sound) (Tri-AB)

Felinus
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 7

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 05:53:04 AM »

Marius.

Actually, this doesn't work. The software appears to automatically amplify the sound prior to writing to the saber. It normalizes them similar to the default Amplify effect in Audacity - as loud as it'll get without clipping.

I'm trying to write an effect with a quiet idle hum, but it won't let me do it. I've reduce the volume on the source .wav way down, but it still comes out the same. Zalbaag reported this same thing.

If you want to have a smooth transition between effects, this makes it difficult. If I have "tone a" as my idle hum, and "tone b" as my swing, I want the end of the swing to seamlessly melt into the idle hum. But, since the swing has some louder sounds, the background idle in the swing is at a lower volume. 

However, I think some of the default effects kind of rely on this. Their waveforms aren't at maximum - the saber amplifies them. If it wasn't for this, the default saber effects would be a lot quieter.

What's needed is a button on the effect editor screen to either
a) amplify sound to max
b) play at actual volume
The default could be (a) so it doesn't affect the sounds that come with the saber.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: