Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Curved reaper LED wont light  (Read 1252 times)
JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 262

Jedi Weapons Master

« on: April 21, 2017, 01:07:16 AM »

The Red LED on my curved reaper just quit. Flash on clash still flashes silver, sound and activator LED still work, and Ive made sure the batteries are fresh. The LED is wired thusly:
black wire to 6
red to 7
purple to 8
white to 1

all wires seem to be connected to the LED module properly, none of them are loose or anything, and none of them are loose inside the saber either. Ive wiggled all the wires to see if one of them would make the LED flash on and so far nothing.

Anyone got any ideas on this? It's going to be a bear to take apart because its a curved model and theres a bit of hot glue around the activator so I'm hoping something just came loose. The heat sink has come off the LED module as well which I find a bit odd. I've already shot off a nice email to customer support to get some advice from them too.

Arsenal with Obsidian Sound And Silver Flash on Clash:

Kylo Ren Flamberge, Dark War Glaive, Reaper w/ Dornian pommel, Bane, Menace, Vader Prophecy, Darth Sidious Initiate V4
Dorinian, Obi Wan ROTS Archon, Regal Mantis, Spectre, Anakin AOTC Prophecy
Consular, Dark Shock, Yoda Initiate, Luke ROTJ Archon, Kit Fisto Menace
RGB: Bellicose Staff, Raven, Manticore Staff, Emerald Catalyst
Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand

Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 01:24:12 AM »

I'm wondering what customer service says? Maybe the led just died. Probably heated up and died when your heat sink came off.

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 01:37:26 AM »

My guess is a loose wire, maybe a solder connection that let go - I know you looked but they can be hard to spot if your not looking super close at connection joints.

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 01:47:12 AM »

I'm wondering what customer service says? Maybe the led just died. Probably heated up and died when your heat sink came off.

It hasnt been on for that long, no more than a minute or two tops at a time, havent dueled with it or anything and the only modifications I've done on it have been on the outside, so it isnt that.

My guess is a loose wire, maybe a solder connection that let go - I know you looked but they can be hard to spot if your not looking super close at connection joints.

Im sure its a loose wire, I just need to find it. I'm not looking to spend 10 bucks shipping it back to US so they can waste their time fixing something I might be able to handle, but I don't want to make it any worse either. White and red are bundled together which leads me to believe they're the FoC, which works fine. So its got to be purple or black. Black DOES have a loose spot in it near what I guess is a resistor, but I pressed it together a bit and wiggled it, trying to get it to turn on the LED, and nothing will happen so maybe it isnt black. I dont feel anything wrong with purple either

Kylo Ren Flamberge, Dark War Glaive, Reaper w/ Dornian pommel, Bane, Menace, Vader Prophecy, Darth Sidious Initiate V4

JediXIX
Alchemist of the Sentinel Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1172

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 03:19:40 AM »

The Red LED on my curved reaper just quit. Flash on clash still flashes silver, sound and activator LED still work, and Ive made sure the batteries are fresh. The LED is wired thusly:
black wire to 6
red to 7
purple to 8
white to 1

all wires seem to be connected to the LED module properly, none of them are loose or anything, and none of them are loose inside the saber either. Ive wiggled all the wires to see if one of them would make the LED flash on and so far nothing.

Anyone got any ideas on this? It's going to be a bear to take apart because its a curved model and theres a bit of hot glue around the activator so I'm hoping something just came loose. The heat sink has come off the LED module as well which I find a bit odd. I've already shot off a nice email to customer support to get some advice from them too.

If US have followed their usual procedures . . . the wires to the LED module should be ;
red wire = + for R diode
black wire = - for R diode
white wire = + for W diode
purple wire = - for W diode

It's likely to be an issue with the red or black wire . . . I know it's a pain to send back to US, but that way you'll retain your Warranty . . .

(ps . . . I havent forgotten about your PM, I've just been busy and I'll reply very soon  Smiley)

Remember... The Force will be with you... Always . . . (Just let it in)

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 03:35:19 AM »

If US have followed their usual procedures . . . the wires to the LED module should be ;
red wire = + for R diode
black wire = - for R diode
white wire = + for W diode
purple wire = - for W diode

It's likely to be an issue with the red or black wire . . . I know it's a pain to send back to US, but that way you'll retain your Warranty . . .

(ps . . . I havent forgotten about your PM, I've just been busy and I'll reply very soon  Smiley)

Yeah I was wrong before, the two bundled wires both join into one so they're the ground. The black wire is the problem... or maybe its just that the red LED burned out. I'm not sure which. Theres no reason for that LED to burn out though, Ive got sabers Ive had for years and the LEDs are still just fine.

JediXIX
Alchemist of the Sentinel Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1172

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 03:51:27 AM »

You can test it . . . Unscrew the heatsink . . . if you have a 2xAA battery holder with wires, put 2x AA batteries in (3v) and touch the positive to the red wire solder pad on the star and the negative to the black wire solder pad, if the red diode lights up you know it's not the LED . . . I use something like that to test LED's all the time, it's very handy . . .

Remember... The Force will be with you... Always . . . (Just let it in)

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 04:16:36 AM »

I'll see what I can do with it and talk to customer support too. I found the black wire came loose but that might just be from me fiddling with it, I don't know if its a wiring issue or what. I put the lens and aluminum LED thing back on and I'm just going to leave it like this and then probably have to send it back. This will be the first time I've ever had to send a product back to US.

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2027

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 06:38:08 AM »

Hope you figure something out if you haven't already. How did you get this or was it recently added to the store finally? Tongue

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG,
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 08:28:58 AM »

Hope you figure something out if you haven't already. How did you get this or was it recently added to the store finally? Tongue

It was a spring raffle thing. I can't figure it out and I'm not about to take the saber apart to do so since it could well be the LED itself, so I may just have to let the pros at ultrasabers handle it. This is such a nice saber I dont want to risk it by trying to open it up and messing around. I took a peek at the LED module and the wires and thats about it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: