Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Learning the QRC (quick release coupler)  (Read 2697 times)
Darth Cephalus
Supreme Heresiarch of Inadvisable Saber Techniques
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -915

Who watches the watchmen?

« on: April 22, 2017, 09:08:38 PM »

Figured I would make a new thread to keep this stuff together. QRC is the Ultrasabers quick release coupler. That is a nickname given it by Ryan who has been rocking one for a while now. Figured I would make a p-lace to discuss the thing and how it works. I posted a longer video before but this one is my second day of practice with the thing. I am still a bit shaky on the reconnect, but getting there. As far as I can see, there are about 4 ways to disconnect it effectively and 2 ways to reconnect it effectively. For me at least, reconnecting in motion always requires at least one hand in reverse grip. Also worth noting, one of my viewers who also has one suggested that a piece of a yo yo friction pad at the base of the inside part removes the play and spin in the coupler.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIHILxozZj0" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIHILxozZj0</a>

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 12:49:41 AM »

QRC looks only sort of useful for demos to me.
You showed it off well here, though

Master Resolute
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -453

Dark Jedi

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 01:28:36 AM »

this will be a favorite thread of mine. I think everyone should have one!

DC, try the criss-cross method for staying double standard grip. You can pull it off during the windmill or figure 8's. Works with reverse grip too. ( By criss-cross I mean literally cross your arms as you spin/move and disconnect at the same time. )

The reconnect takes some practice. Had one for a while now and its still the hardest part. You'll Notice I typically cross step when I reconnect to hide the fact that I have to slow down a little to snap it. Sometimes I'll treat the off hand saber like a sheath and cross step so I can keep both sabers moving the entire time as a bring it to my hip. I recently found a way to reconnect as you move through a triple 8. Anyway, good vid!

-- Remember....your Focus determines your Reality. --
-- If you gaze long enough into the Abyss, the Abyss will gaze back into you --

Darth Cephalus
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 01:57:32 AM »

So in a standard grip disconnect, are you pulling the mechanism with your pinky? I found I can do that to disconnect, but it is a bear to try to reconnect that way as my pinky has trouble holding the spring down for any period of time.

Master Resolute
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Dark Jedi

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 03:32:33 AM »

on rare occasion, yes. Most of the time I'm catching it about mid-palm. Forces me to let the hilt slide a little after a disconnect, that or a grip readjustment because you'll be holding it at the very bottom. For the sliding technique you can't have any tension in your wrist/forearm or it changes the trajectory.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 01:34:11 PM »

Awesome stuff, DC.  We've already seen the sick stuff Ryan can do with one, it's good to see you working with one now too.  Knowing you, you'll be disconnecting and reconnecting that thing mid move at full speed before long.  Smiley

Master Resolute
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Dark Jedi

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 05:06:55 PM »

just had another major breakthrough today with the reconnect. I've already been playing with the elbow positions being the key component for a smooth transition. When techniques get complicated or seem frustrating I break everything into baby steps and reverse engineer it. Im thinking of doing a QRC tutorial " Rez's Style " and posting it soon. I don't think I'll be doing another demo for a while until I can speed these transitions up more and add some capoeira to it!

Darth Cephalus
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 04:45:32 AM »

In mt recent routine, I was working with a quick release coupler, and there were a lot of ... shall we say "technical difficulties". I don't usually do blooper reels, but this time I thought I would share some of the trials and tribulations with you.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdJGhMiIzss" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdJGhMiIzss</a>

Master Medwyn
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 788

Silver Blade of the Distant Earth Knighthood

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 09:21:26 AM »

It's like a "sometimes too quickly releasing coupler" Smiley
I can only imagine how difficult it is to operate it properly, thanks for sharing!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: