Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Got my Master's approval  (Read 2916 times)
skribs
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 151

« on: April 23, 2017, 03:26:24 AM »

I am a 2nd Dan in Taekwondo.  I am the only full-fledged instructor at my school who is not the Master or directly related to him, and I am in charge of our school's demonstration team.  I bought the lightsaber in the hopes that I could use them on demo team, but I prepared myself for my Master to say "no".  Not because I thought he would, but because I was worried they might not be traditional Taekwondo enough for him to approve their use in representing our school.  I figured worst case scenario he said "no" but I still had lightsabers I could use on my own.

Everyone told me that he would say "yes" and I was being silly, and everyone was right.  I showed him the lightsabers yesterday, and he absolutely loved them!  He got out his camera to record me and his wife (the other instructor at our school) fighting each other, and yelled at us for not spinning around enough.  Not only did he approve their use in demo team, but his wife said that I have to do a lightsaber form for my 3rd degree test (which will be next year).    So they were really well received.

I also know that as I can save up for them, I'll be buying more lightsabers.  As it stands, I can have 4 people play with single blades or 2 people using doubles (or 3 people if one person uses doubles), and that means only a quarter of our team can use them at once.  I don't know if I'll ever have enough for our full team to go at once, but I should be able to get several people going at once down the road.

I love Star Wars, and I love Taekwondo, so I am very excited that I'll be able to combine the two together.

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 03:46:41 AM »

Fantastic outcome! Your Master is out kind of people!  Grin  What an awesome idea to bring your two favs together. We sure wouldn't mind if you shared some pics, or even better, a video or two of your team.

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

skribs
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 151

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 04:51:31 AM »

https://youtu.be/TLHjVmjY-R0

https://youtu.be/_aHyt4-Aimc

No lightsabers, but here are some videos of previous demos we've done.

My master likes gadgets, and my Dad (who is a 1st Dan at our school) and I are both nerds.  Our demo team has sort of become the test group for new technology.  For example, my Dad is learning how to use his 360 camera at our practices.

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 03:08:05 PM »

Your Master is a very cool man for letting you do this

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 262

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 09:39:43 AM »

I'd love to see some videos of saber action for sure. I bet if there are any local lightsabe enthusiasts they could bring theirs to sharem you could check the sparring partner search thread

Arsenal with Obsidian Sound And Silver Flash on Clash:

Kylo Ren Flamberge, Dark War Glaive, Reaper w/ Dornian pommel, Bane, Menace, Vader Prophecy, Darth Sidious Initiate V4
Dorinian, Obi Wan ROTS Archon, Regal Mantis, Spectre, Anakin AOTC Prophecy
Consular, Dark Shock, Yoda Initiate, Luke ROTJ Archon, Kit Fisto Menace
RGB: Bellicose Staff, Raven, Manticore Staff, Emerald Catalyst
Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand

scraver
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 89

Force is in the application

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 04:37:04 AM »

If I could give points to your master I would. I'll just have to give them to you instead for suggesting the addition of light sabers.
Ultrasabers is certainly a good choice for affordable stunt sabers - I don't think you'd need sound.

Best of luck with displays.

Guardian with Sound (Emerald) and nickel plated shroud

Wish list:
Bunch of DIY bits. Cheesy

VaporTrail_000
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 39

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 07:14:05 PM »

There's a martial arts school near me that actually offers classes in lightsaber use. AFAIK they're not affiliated with the major saber combat schools. The class prices are comparable to regular martial arts classes, as far as I can determine. I thought about actually signing up, but sadly, the yearly expense and the fact that I would be forced to miss (at least) half the classes by my job puts it on the back burner, if not back in the cupboard entirely.

Dark Apprentice LE V4 In Guardian Blue (Winter Sale Free Initiate)
Initiate V4 in Consular Green (Winter Sale Free Mystery Box)
Dark Initiate V4 LE in Consular Green, w/ LI-Ion pack (Winter Raffle 3rd Prize)
1 Diamond Initiate V4 LE
1 Diamond Dark Initiate V4

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 04:15:21 PM »

That's an awesome outcome, your Master sounds like a cool guy!  Please do post vids of your demos and lightsaber form here on Saberforum, I'd love to see it all.

WhillB
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 2

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 09:09:31 PM »

I'd just like to also ask for some vids please  Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: