Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Diamond board Shock review  (Read 2748 times)
Darth Cephalus
Supreme Heresiarch of Inadvisable Saber Techniques
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -915

Who watches the watchmen?

« on: April 24, 2017, 11:35:36 PM »

A review of the new Ultrasabers Diamond Controller board with a look at features and accessibility. A bit of comparison with the Obsidian and Emerald boards. Also a review of the Shock saber design.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY5JVl4F1uU" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY5JVl4F1uU</a>

Isola815
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 594

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 01:47:45 AM »

OMG Felicia is so very accurate! That really is the worst part about the Diamond menu. I can handle it not always being able to tell the difference between right and left, but that voice...  Huh  Undecided

Great review DC, lots of information to work from! Thanks Smiley

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 03:50:29 AM »

I always like your reviews because of how thorough you are.  You cover a lot and give the highs, lows and everything in between without being harsh or over excited.

I definitely want a Shock, I love that hilt.  I'm not sure about the Diamond just yet

And, lastly, nice shirt.

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 05:00:47 AM »

Good info! I actually don't mind "Felicia"  Cheesy  I know I could be the only one. It was great to hear of Ultrasabers' plans for the software and the improvements that are coming. I love the ability to change sound and blade color simultaneously and the fact that it's now a smaller bundle inside the hilt. Very impressive.

Good stuff, and I have yet to do any programming on my Diamond sabers. Hope to get to that soon.

Point for the candid review.

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

BatMike90
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -793

Dark (Knight) Side Points.

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 06:18:30 AM »

First off, thank you for very detailed video of the Diamond board that I found extremely helpful at this time. Secondly, I must admit I laughed out loud when you said "..Kill it with fire..". And finally, you sir, are an enjoyable and reliable source of information. Have a point and "enjoy your saber!".  Grin

Arsenel:
RGBW DIAMOND: Archon v3.1 / Dominicide / Graflex SE /  Guardian
V4 SOUND : Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Emperor's Hand
STUNT: Aeon v4 / Bellicose / Dark Apprentice v4 (x2) / Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Phantom Initiate V4 / Prophecy v3 / Renegade LE / Scorpion (x2)
Star Wars Cosplay Alias:
Merik Wolfe (Jedi Knight) / Darth Marcotus (Sith Warrior)
BatMike90's Soundfonts

HoverFloat
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 32

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 10:33:44 AM »

Came for the Shock, stayed for the Diamond review. Very informative, thank you.

I've seen quite a few Diamond reviews and I still don't understand the gestures, or their purpose. Is there more to it than just an effect after doing a certain..err.. gesture?

RSX Engineering
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 54

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 05:02:17 PM »

A review of the new Ultrasabers Diamond Controller board with a look at features and accessibility. A bit of comparison with the Obsidian and Emerald boards. Also a review of the Shock saber design.

That was a very thorough review. Thanks for that! A few clarifications:
- That black stuff on the back of the board is polyurethane. It is a resin that secures all the electronic components on the board, so there's minimum risk of damage due to mechanical shocks. It also improves cooling because it spreads the heat (which is generated by just a few spots on the board) to a wider area. Overall, the black resin improves the reliability of the electronics, so it's gonna be on all our boards.
- The turn off time was indeed increased as compared to previous boards, because on Diamond the button is also used to activate the menu, so we wanted to minimize the risk of accidentally turning off the saber while doing that.
- In order to activate the menu, you have to rotate the hilt in BOTH directions (back and forth, clockwise and counterclockwise). The menu is activated by a "force" motion executed with the button pressed - you can see the force motion here: http://rsx.ro/tmp/force.mp4. If you adjust the sensitivity of the force detection, this will also affect the sensitivity of the menu activation. For the left and right rotations used to navigate through the menu, there's a separate sensitivity setting which allows you to customize the ease of navigation to you own style.
- The gestures are actually limited to 5 seconds - if it takes longer, only the last part will be recorded and recognized. I strongly advice anyone who records a new gesture to adjust the detection sensitivity, because with gestures there's no "one size fits all". Simple gestures need lower sensitivity to avoid false detection and complex gestures need higher sensitivity to make sure they're recognized even if not reproduced 100% identically. We designed the gestures having in mind solo practice and artistry shows, as gestures give the saber the ability to recognize when a specific motion was executed as previously recorded. Other people have in mind more practical uses for gestures, such as switching fonts or turning the saber on and off. In time, we may implement such features and give the gestures more applications.
- The latest release of the Launcher (v2.19, which right now is under the final review and should become available very soon) fixes the problem of the cumbersome process of editing multiple effects. The effect editor now has a button labeled "Apply to font", which saves all the changes made to the effect in the current font, so you don't have so save it to a file or write it immediately. As long as you don't select or load another font, all the effect changes can be applied with a single write and no save. That was a serious slip on our side so we made a priority to fix it as soon as possible. Thanks for bringing it to our attention!
- Felicia... well, she's not gonna go down in flames, but she will learn to be more reverent  Wink

Marius.

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 05:12:51 PM »

RSX, your presence and loads of "intel" that you're sharing here on the forum is invaluable and much appreciated. Thank you, it's awesome, and the priority you've placed on improving the software is outstanding.  Also, thanks for clearing up the reason behind the power off time. Many were wondering why that was changed, and it's awesome you guys were thinking of the whole experience to minimize problems. I love the info about the benefits behind the polyurethane, especially the "heat sink" cooling it provides. I'm a computer guy myself, but I didn't realize polyurethane provided that kind of benefit. So cool! (excuse the pun  Cheesy). Bravo, you guys.  Point to you.

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

Darth Cephalus
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 08:50:13 PM »

That was a very thorough review. Thanks for that! A few clarifications:
- That black stuff on the back of the board is polyurethane. It is a resin that secures all the electronic components on the board, so there's minimum risk of damage due to mechanical shocks. It also improves cooling because it spreads the heat (which is generated by just a few spots on the board) to a wider area. Overall, the black resin improves the reliability of the electronics, so it's gonna be on all our boards.
- The turn off time was indeed increased as compared to previous boards, because on Diamond the button is also used to activate the menu, so we wanted to minimize the risk of accidentally turning off the saber while doing that.
- In order to activate the menu, you have to rotate the hilt in BOTH directions (back and forth, clockwise and counterclockwise). The menu is activated by a "force" motion executed with the button pressed - you can see the force motion here: http://rsx.ro/tmp/force.mp4. If you adjust the sensitivity of the force detection, this will also affect the sensitivity of the menu activation. For the left and right rotations used to navigate through the menu, there's a separate sensitivity setting which allows you to customize the ease of navigation to you own style.
- The gestures are actually limited to 5 seconds - if it takes longer, only the last part will be recorded and recognized. I strongly advice anyone who records a new gesture to adjust the detection sensitivity, because with gestures there's no "one size fits all". Simple gestures need lower sensitivity to avoid false detection and complex gestures need higher sensitivity to make sure they're recognized even if not reproduced 100% identically. We designed the gestures having in mind solo practice and artistry shows, as gestures give the saber the ability to recognize when a specific motion was executed as previously recorded. Other people have in mind more practical uses for gestures, such as switching fonts or turning the saber on and off. In time, we may implement such features and give the gestures more applications.
- The latest release of the Launcher (v2.19, which right now is under the final review and should become available very soon) fixes the problem of the cumbersome process of editing multiple effects. The effect editor now has a button labeled "Apply to font", which saves all the changes made to the effect in the current font, so you don't have so save it to a file or write it immediately. As long as you don't select or load another font, all the effect changes can be applied with a single write and no save. That was a serious slip on our side so we made a priority to fix it as soon as possible. Thanks for bringing it to our attention!
- Felicia... well, she's not gonna go down in flames, but she will learn to be more reverent  Wink

Marius.

Thanks Marius. Good info in there.

As to the black stuff, the reason I covered it is that you guys catch a lot of flack for it on Facebook groups. Most of that comes from fans of one specific "other guys" brand. As I said, it is neither here nor there for me. It gives your board a distinctive look, but I have boards from 7 different makers that I use and more than one version from a couple. While I have had issues with LEDs and their drivers, with speakers, and often with wire connections, I have never had a board overheat or fall apart. That was pretty much what I was saying was that for those people who say it is a technical problem, I had never observed that to be the case, so I figure we can let you do you.

I figured that was the reason behind behind the delayed power down. Makes sense. It is just something that takes getting used to.

The force effect thing was new to me. I had not found that one yet. I assumed the force effect was what was triggered by the gesture. Still does not make the menu less tricky to get into. It does tell me though that I can just keep the button down and keep trying until I get it or the saber powers off. I found the sensitivity settings but figured the menu setting was for getting into the menu as well. I did not think to adjust force.

The gestures you mention as future possibilities would be great. Specifically the gesture to switch to specific fonts. That was what I was hoping gestures would be able to do when you introduced the board, so it is good to know it is not off the table. That would also give people a way to not have to go through the menu. One thing I will note about gestures not in the video is that about a fifth of the time I set a gesture, it ends up being corrupt and leading to an activation error at powerup after the saber has shut down and turned on a few times. Sometimes this goes away with a restart, sometimes, I have to overwrite or clear the gesture.

Good to hear about the launcher, and I hope we can at least see a Felicia with reduced dialogue in the future. The pleasantries are what put her over the edge for me.

Again thanks for all the info and the great communication on the forum. You were integral in me figuring this thing out to begin with, not that I have it entirely figured out obviously. If you do get Felicia under control and fix up the launcher, I will be happy to shoot an update and show off the streamlined features in future.

HoverFloat
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 32

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 02:04:24 AM »

We designed the gestures having in mind solo practice and artistry shows, as gestures give the saber the ability to recognize when a specific motion was executed as previously recorded. Other people have in mind more practical uses for gestures, such as switching fonts or turning the saber on and off. In time, we may implement such features and give the gestures more applications.
Thank you for that. I understand it a little better now, but my lack of imagination still prevents me from seeing myself knowing what to do with it. Looking forward to people getting creative with the Diamond before I consider getting one.

- Felicia... well, she's not gonna go down in flames, but she will learn to be more reverent  Wink

Whoa, wait a minute. Did "Felicia" just become "canon?"

Darth Cephalus
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 03:23:23 AM »

Whoa, wait a minute. Did "Felicia" just become "canon?"
That is how I am going to choose to take that.

Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 04:14:06 AM »

Fantastic review DC. I have watch more than one of your reviews of different type of sabers and I think you do a great job.  I'm excited to see some of the finishing upgrades to this amazing new Diamond board. I too would like to hear Felicia a little more reverent now after playing with it for a while.

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

Vervidian
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 80

"This is madness."

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 04:10:05 PM »

In line with Darth Cephalus' thought process, I would like to see a simplified menu which could be selected from the launcher.  The current default on (2.17) / sabers shipped last week is a good level of detail for User Experience Level = Total Noob.

Now that I am at User Experience Level = Experienced or Advanced (having successfully modified a font, for example), I would much prefer a menu as follows:

*indicates user action* "indicates Felicia voice"

*wrist flick to enter menu*
"Diamond Menu"
*left wrist flick* - "Gestures"
*right wrist flick* - "<current sound font intro>" - it can jump right in at this point!
*font select or press & hold to exit menu* "Confirmed" OR <current sound font ignite effect>

While I absolutely appreciate the script's detail level for Day 1 Noobs who could easily get lost or frustrated jerking their wrist about, once you get the feel for it, the short-hand above should suffice.  Do other Diamond users agree?  Cephalus?  Bladewraith?  Others?

Jedi Sentinel Vervidian

Armory:
Emperor's Hand - Diamond RGBA
Catalyst - Diamond RGBW (Mrs. Verv's)
Sentinel LE v4 stunt - Guardian Blue - Mainhand Battle Saber
Sentinel v4 stunt - Consular Green ***raffle prize*** - Offhand Battle Saber
Initiate LE v2 - Guardian Blue (Lil Verv's)
2 stunt sabers as gifts - CG Prophecy, FO Tri-Cree Dominix

I feel the light side calling me!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: