Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Why do my hand get rub off  (Read 5589 times)
Croft
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 28

Saber: Lost Cray (was the Lost Gray)

« on: April 25, 2017, 01:20:06 AM »

Sorry if that's confusing, not realy sure on how to articulate this.

I have a Lost Cray, and when I practice spinning and just over all wielding.
When done my hand (mostly the right) has a dull silverfish look to it from spinning. Kinda like a rub off from the saber.

Any idea why this is happening and is there a way short of not spinning it to make it stop.

Croft  Grin

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 01:46:27 AM »

A lot of times chemicals in your sweat will interact with certain metals. My skin will strip off gold plating from cheap jewelry, and it will turn green if I wear something copper.

Several people have commented on this, and it seems to either go away once the outer, microscopic layers of the hilt have worn off. It might just be some finish from the machining process. You can also wear gloves, because if it is sweat, you will likely prevent that.

Signature banner by DarthScrub

Croft
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 01:51:45 AM »

Thanks, I'm hoping it'll stop because gloves I want to wear would impede the spinning.
Time will tell

Croft  Grin

Samhain138
Dark Lord of the Menace Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2171

Aw, crap.

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 04:29:08 AM »

The anodized hilts never do that for me.  My Sentinel did it for a while but it doesn't anymore.

Landen Se-Sentien
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 05:02:14 AM »

The anodized hilts never do that for me.  My Sentinel did it for a while but it doesn't anymore.

Right. So if it goes away, then it's a result of the manufacturing process. Some sort of residue or something.

If it doesn't go away, then it's a reaction.

Do you remember how long yours did this?

Samhain138
Dark Lord of the Menace Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2171

Aw, crap.

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 05:12:31 AM »

Right. So if it goes away, then it's a result of the manufacturing process. Some sort of residue or something.

If it doesn't go away, then it's a reaction.

Do you remember how long yours did this?

Honestly I'd forgotten about it until I read this. All my hilts are anodized except for my first one and my CE Guardian.  It never really did it.  So I'm not really certain.

obliviondoll
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -21

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 06:38:24 AM »

Aluminium is actually a highly-reactive metal, BUT oxidising reactions form a protective layer of oxides over the surface. It doesn't keep reacting over long periods because this oxide layer is extremely stable and won't react to most things. If it's a freshly-machined saber, then you will probably have some residue from the formation of this oxide layer, or if you got it REALLY soon after manufacture, you might be getting residue forming as part of the process of the oxide layer coming into being.

There are a couple of somewhat-plausible-ish ways that you could be experiencing ongoing reactions with an aluminium saber hilt:

1. Your hands have somehow developed protrusions which are harder than human bone and aggressive enough in shape to dig into the hilt of the saber as you spin it. Obviously, this would indicate a non-human origin, so can probably be ruled out for someone typing in English on an Earth-based internet forum.

2. Significantly more likely, you may be clashing the hilt against some other metal object in your outfit, or storing it with something that's scraping the oxide layer which would leave visible scratches on the surface. Look for these, and check your movements if you wear metal armour or clothing with a lot of metal parts. If you're scraping it on a spiked jacket or wristband, or swinging it extremely close to a studded belt, this may be a possible cause for ongoing "silvery dust" effects. Also don't keep the saber in a bag alongside your car keys. That's just asking for trouble.

Barring the above two scenarios, you *WILL* find that in time, the aluminium oxide layer will form a stable protective cover on the hilt if it hasn't already, any remaining residue will finish wiping off, and this will stop happening.

V^^^V
It's not about rage, it's about *emotion*. Happiness is the Dark side, and I will face you with a smile.

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 04:17:30 PM »

If it persists, perhaps give it a shot of clearcoat...

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Croft
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 11:25:18 PM »

Thanks for the info.

1) no metal studs or spiked gear, but I do wear a sterling silver ring on my right hand, will take it off when practicing and see what happens.

2) I am of this planet, a typical carbon life form. The force is not overly strong unless the misses hands me a jar she can't open.

3) will keep practicing, not worried about the rub of, but hoping it goes away in time.

4) Can't wait to get another so I can duel with her and my grandson.

Croft  Grin

Croft
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 12:43:02 AM »

If it matters, I figured it out, it was my sterling silver ring that was cause the rub off.

Yay.

Croft  Grin

Landen Se-Sentien
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 12:44:44 AM »

Good to know. I always take my rings off. It prevents scratches in both the rings and hits, and it's more comfortable.

obliviondoll
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -21

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2017, 04:32:52 AM »

If it matters, I figured it out, it was my sterling silver ring that was cause the rub off.

Yay.

Croft  Grin

Good to know you found the cause!

V^^^V
It's not about rage, it's about *emotion*. Happiness is the Dark side, and I will face you with a smile.

Stone
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: -2

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2017, 01:01:57 AM »

Mine still does this at first I thought perhaps it was some machining residue but after cleaning it with no result I realized it was most likely from the same chemical reaction that leaves me unable to wear certain metals. It’s a nuisance but not one to change my love of the streamlined initiate. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Croft
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2017, 12:20:42 AM »

I think this might be what cause's mine as well. I went out and purchased some thin leather gloves, fingerless. Now I don't get that rub off and it looks awesome at the same time.

Croft  Grin

Croft
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2017, 12:12:00 AM »

These are the gloves I was talking about, still learning how to use IMGUR for hosting pictures.

Croft  Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: