Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Masters of the Universe Film  (Read 4004 times)
Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« on: April 30, 2017, 04:54:07 PM »

I don't know how many MOTU fans are actually in the forum, but this is pretty "big" news.   Sony has announced A new MOTU film to be released in 2019 with David Goyer writing the initial draft of the script.  There are layers to my trepidation though.  For one this film has been in Development hell for a couple of decades, so even though a writer and release date are further than we've gotten before I'll believe it when I have a ticket in my hand.  Secondly....David Goyer.   I'm not a fan of a majority of the film's he's written so I can only imagine what his MOTU film will be like.  The main question is ...can a MOTU film work now?  I think it could if given the proper respect and attention..but 80's properties have never gotten that so far. 

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 05:10:56 PM »

I think it can. Both a strong cast combined with an intelligent script are a must, and it has to be very careful to not inadvertently make fun of itself. It can have as good of a chance of succeeding as any other franchise if the core of it is handled with care. The latest Power Rangers movie walked a thin line in that respect, so maybe they could learn from that of what works and what doesn't.

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 05:30:30 PM »

I'm down for this.  I love the 80s cartoon so much that I still watch episodes on Netflix.  I also have a collection of the old mini comics on my Kindle.  So, I'm a bit of a fan.  I think Goyer could do a good job, though it's not like MOTU needs terribly deep writing.  I think the source material supports the current trend of action oriented special effects Sci-Fi/Fantasy.

On a side note, I want them to release a 30th Anniversary Blu-Ray of the one with Dolph Lundgren.

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 07:09:44 PM »

If done right, it could be a great nostalgia trip for those of us who watched it growing up. If not, well... *points to the travesty that starred Dolph Lundgren*

That movie could have been so great, but with them leaving out both Battlecat and Orko as well as many of the other favorite heroes and villains in favor of new characters Stabby McStabberson, Lizard Boy, and the One Handed Idiot, a lot of fans were upset.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 07:34:48 PM »

MOTU had a much deeper story than many give it credit for...both the comics and the cartoon.   It's not a matter of the source material though it's how it is treated.  How many properties have we seen given crap treatment and not taken seriously.  Goyer isn't high on my list of writers anyway.  Then there is the idea of which storyline to follow as there are several "canons".   Original Mini-Comics, DC Comics, Animated series, 2000 Animated series, The new Action Figure canon, current DC comics.  As to the 87 film, it was just plagued with budget skimping by the studio, its why Orko and Battlecat were left out.  Something akin to Thor would work since He-Man is much the same as Asgard in Science and Magic together.   As to collections I have the Vintage figures, Current figures, all the current books, all the episodes on dvd etc.....

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 04:33:27 AM »

If done right, it could be a great nostalgia trip for those of us who watched it growing up. If not, well... *points to the travesty that starred Dolph Lundgren*

The Dolph Lundgren film was never intended to be a live action version of the cartoon.  In fact, it was in preproduction before the cartoon was developed.  The movie is based off of the earlier mini comics, where He-Man wasn't Prince Adam of the Eternian Royal family, he was a barbarian of enormous strength who rescued the sorceress and was chosen by her to be defender of castle Grayskull.  She gave him weapons and two battle harnesses to use in said defense, and he was aides by Teela and Man-at-Arms.

Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 04:51:21 AM »

Oh I would be excited to see it. I bought the old He-man cartoons years ago on DVD. I even walk around the house saying "I have the power" my kids don't like it, the don't know what it's from. Lol

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 05:00:26 AM »

The Dolph Lundgren film was never intended to be a live action version of the cartoon.  In fact, it was in preproduction before the cartoon was developed.  The movie is based off of the earlier mini comics, where He-Man wasn't Prince Adam of the Eternian Royal family, he was a barbarian of enormous strength who rescued the sorceress and was chosen by her to be defender of castle Grayskull.  She gave him weapons and two battle harnesses to use in said defense, and he was aides by Teela and Man-at-Arms.

Do you honestly think that the general public who grew up on the cartoon is gonna even know that? Do you think they'll care?

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 05:12:33 AM »

Do you honestly think that the general public who grew up on the cartoon is gonna even know that? Do you think they'll care?

Ahh nope!

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

Prowl 1701
Mentor of the Prophecy Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 830

We're all just dreams in the end...

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 05:12:44 AM »

I enjoyed the 80's cartoon (and the 200X one as well) and loved the 1987 movie, they were all good fun.  I have about 40 of the MOTU Classics figures (and the Castle Grayskull as well). I have a figure vintage, new adventures, and 200X figures too.  I'm down for a new movie.  I hear they lost their director though.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 04:37:23 PM »

I enjoyed the 80's cartoon (and the 200X one as well) and loved the 1987 movie, they were all good fun.  I have about 40 of the MOTU Classics figures (and the Castle Grayskull as well). I have a figure vintage, new adventures, and 200X figures too.  I'm down for a new movie.  I hear they lost their director though.

Sweet!  You got any pics of that collection?

No, I'm not saying anything like that at all.  With the popularity of the cartoon, they should have rewritten the movie to be closer to the cartoon.  I'm just saying why it has little resemblance to the cartoon, because it's based on the comics.

Oh, and I was born in 1979 and I grew up with that cartoon for sure and I absolutely love that movie.  I always have.  In fact, a lot of people do and it has achieved cult classic status.

I'm expecting a more modern movie to be based on the cartoon.  They're going to want to get those of us who grew up on that cartoon into the theaters.  Though, I expect there to be changes too.  It should be interesting to see how they go with it.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 01:44:19 AM »

I enjoyed the 80's cartoon (and the 200X one as well) and loved the 1987 movie, they were all good fun.  I have about 40 of the MOTU Classics figures (and the Castle Grayskull as well). I have a figure vintage, new adventures, and 200X figures too.  I'm down for a new movie.  I hear they lost their director though.

This was nothing but good as the director was McG...of Charlies Angels and Terminator Salvation fame...  Now just have Goyer as the writer to worry about.

I'm pessimistic to say the least. As I said these 80's properties have not really gotten the treatments they really deserve couple with a writer I dislike does not fill me with confidence.  It is a wait and see though since it may never happen.  As to getting to show of collections......

My Classics.....

My Filmation (80s Cartoon) figures (plus Anti-Eternia He-Man)

My Books and Swords..

And ThunderCats for good measure....

...My Vintage Figures are all stored right now...currently working on the collection room.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 02:06:30 AM »

Nice, you have both the He-Man and She-Ra swords.  I've been eyeing a metal Sword of Grayskull for a while.  It's not 100% accurate, but it's darn close.

Your He-Man collection rocks, and it's great you have some Thundercats too.

Regarding franchises from the '80s being made into new films or series: I'm skeptical every time.  I don't know if anything can compare to the classics in some cases.  Bay's Transformers started off on a great note with the first film, only to have subsequent films become increasingly disappointing.  The G.I. Joe movies, well, there were issues.  I like them both, but nowhere near as well as the original cartoons.  Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles I won't even touch.  I couldn't even stomach the whole first Bay film.  The current Voltron series on Netflix is OK.  There are some things I like, and some things I don't, regarding changes they made.  But, a lot of these newer versions are aimed at a younger audience more so than those of us who grew up with the originals.  So, I'll definitely be on a "wait and see" approach with a MOTU film.

Benji
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 163

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2017, 01:40:46 PM »

I loved the 2000 animated series and the original series. The first attempt at a live action movie, I thought was great the first few times I watched it... But trying to watch it recently, I see so much wrong with the entire movie I can't stand it. The curse of growing up.

I look at the prospect of a new MOTU movie cautiously as I don't think anyone who could pull it off right will step up to it.

I have but four enemies: Envy, Lust, Greed and Lethargy...

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2017, 12:23:07 AM »

I loved the 2000 animated series and the original series. The first attempt at a live action movie, I thought was great the first few times I watched it... But trying to watch it recently, I see so much wrong with the entire movie I can't stand it. The curse of growing up.

I look at the prospect of a new MOTU movie cautiously as I don't think anyone who could pull it off right will step up to it.

While I can definitely see whats wrong with it, I still love the live action film for what it is.  Knowing the studio kept slashing the budget helps to forgive it to  (Battle Cat, She-Ra, Orko, a Floating Castle Greyskull and a 5 minute sword fight between Skeletor and He-Man were some of the things cut).  Here is a fun fact, the actor who played Blade is Anthony DeLongis, an accomplished sword master known for his work on Highlander: The Series as well as many other films and tv.

For a long time McG was attached to the new film, he directed Terminator Salvation and Charlies Angels....   But he is no longer part of it and David Goyer is writing it as we speak..which I am hesitant about.      

I have a love hate with the 2000 series...they got some stuff right then screwed other stuff up.  I can not forgive that "sword".   By far my favorite addition to the lore given by the 2000 series was King Greyskull...which if he is in the film needs to be played by Dolph Lundgren  Tongue

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: