Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: First Saber Performance  (Read 4002 times)
theAfanc
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 14

Welsh Mythological Lake Monster

« on: May 10, 2017, 01:41:35 PM »

Hey everybody!  I finally have the videos for my first lightsaber performance.  I should preface by saying I have been training and performing Wushu for nearly 5 years now.  The style I train focuses on performances and choreographed forms so adding a lightsaber wasn't a huge step for me.

I had two fights during this show and while the first one went pretty well, the second had quite a few mess ups.  But my partner is an improv master and I am really proud of how we managed to turn it around and keep going.  So I wanted to share my fights with you guys and I would love to hear some input and critique.  (The second fight will likely never be performed again but the first will be done many more times.)

http://youtu.be/krLXEZB8ANI?list=PLhkZCAKuQ-81u7j7m-o4SNM1GUmh6rNou

http://youtu.be/o8bKO63ARlA?list=PLhkZCAKuQ-81u7j7m-o4SNM1GUmh6rNou

And we had some extra time so we did some sparing as well, here is my best of 3 with 'the Force'.  I got the first point then he got the second and third.
http://youtu.be/wjZNB2-ZCzk?list=PLhkZCAKuQ-81u7j7m-o4SNM1GUmh6rNou
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 03:34:14 AM by Darth Cephalus » Logged

Enso Marr
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -43

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 05:03:35 PM »

You can embed YouTube videos by copying the full link in the address bar and removing the s from the "https" at the start.

For instance this is what I copied out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krLXEZB8ANI

When we remove the 's' we get:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krLXEZB8ANI" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krLXEZB8ANI</a>

With that out of the way, good job on the performances!

I am going to focus on feedback for the first video, because as you said that one will be performed many more times:
- Did that slanted ground give the two of you any trouble?
- I personally found the constant weapon changes a bit distracting. You both had to slow down to make careful throws, which really cut into the flow of things.
- The back kicks need work, they often weren't even extended.
- In general your strikes could use more force behind them, for instance at 1:36 those two swings had zero stance and power backing them.

Things I liked:
- I like the idea of peaceful form work in the beginning being interrupted by a fight. It's a concept I've suggested to my own group before.
- Around 0:53 when you both come back in to reengage felt suitably epic.
- The incorporation of so much unarmed combat is great, and seldom seen with lightsaber performances.

May your fire burn both bright and beautiful, within and around you, that all may know your unrelenting freedom.

Follow @MasterEnso on Instagram for regular lightsaber and fire shenanigans.

Finale Saint
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 15

Time and fate.

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 04:08:48 PM »

THIS WAS AWESOME. Seeing people actually put the force into their duels is always a welcome treat! Good Show would love to see more in the future!

"I am the Balance"

Sentinel LE V4-Blazing Red
Dark Sentinel LE V4-Consular Green
Apprentice LE V4-Dark Violet Amethyst (Spear/Pike)
Shock LE- Guardian Blue

Master Uilos
Resident Master
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 121

Snark Jedi

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 09:38:03 PM »

Hello! I'm looking through the fights you posted and the others on your playlist. Enjoying it so far.

Few questions and notes on the first fight:

- How did the gauntlet block sell to the audience? Not a lot of people in the general population know/care about Lightsaber Resistant Materials like Phrik or Cortosis. I've seen fights where audience has called foul on the use, as many see a lightsaber as a cutall weapon. Curious to see how it worked for your team, it might have been easier considering the prominence of the gauntlet in costuming. The best way is to have the attacker treat that block as something clearly not normal. It tells the audience that one of these opponents is not playing by the rules.

- The fight uses the terrain a lot, which is a good thing, but it tends to go EVERYWHERE. This can turn in to a mess, especially as the audience has to keep tracking you. I would suggest tightening it up if you're using that space again.

- I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but take your time with this fight. Allow the audience to see and register the hits, allow yourself and your partner to set up for the next chain. Use the force power use in this, allow it as a break to add tension and to give yourselves a break. This will make the fight look cleaner. This felt like a 3 minute+ match in 2:30. Allow it and yourselves the time to breathe. The audience will appreciate it too.

- The use of the stage hand for weapon swaps with the force is amazing. You don't really see that used much actively in the fight.

Overall, this was a great fight that can be made greater. I hope you share the next iteration with us again.

Pedantic Lightsaber Philosopher. Stage Combat Junkie. Cranky New York Street Mage.

Master of the Snark Side of the Force

Long Live The Fighters

Master Medwyn
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 788

Silver Blade of the Distant Earth Knighthood

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 09:39:07 PM »

Cool! I like the flow of the wushu in there!

Darth Cephalus
Supreme Heresiarch of Inadvisable Saber Techniques
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -915

Who watches the watchmen?

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 03:37:32 AM »

Good stuff. I have to ask though as I can't quite see it: is the guy in the background who tosses you things and kicks them away wearing a shirt that says "The Force". If so, well done. Well done indeed. In a related question, would you consider having him run out onto the field and choke or push people when appropriate?

Master Uilos
Resident Master
Knight Captain

Snark Jedi

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 05:36:05 AM »

Good stuff. I have to ask though as I can't quite see it: is the guy in the background who tosses you things and kicks them away wearing a shirt that says "The Force". If so, well done. Well done indeed. In a related question, would you consider having him run out onto the field and choke or push people when appropriate?

This is how telekinetic Lightsaber Combat happens in stage combat. *nod*

Pedantic Lightsaber Philosopher. Stage Combat Junkie. Cranky New York Street Mage.

Long Live The Fighters

scraver
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 89

Force is in the application

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 05:55:15 AM »

This is how telekinetic Lightsaber Combat happens in stage combat. *nod*

I have to agree with both of these.

Guardian with Sound (Emerald) and nickel plated shroud

Wish list:
Bunch of DIY bits. Cheesy

theAfanc
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 02:28:58 PM »

I am going to focus on feedback for the first video, because as you said that one will be performed many more times:
- Did that slanted ground give the two of you any trouble?
- I personally found the constant weapon changes a bit distracting. You both had to slow down to make careful throws, which really cut into the flow of things.
- The back kicks need work, they often weren't even extended.
- In general your strikes could use more force behind them, for instance at 1:36 those two swings had zero stance and power backing them.

Things I liked:
- I like the idea of peaceful form work in the beginning being interrupted by a fight. It's a concept I've suggested to my own group before.
- Around 0:53 when you both come back in to reengage felt suitably epic.
- The incorporation of so much unarmed combat is great, and seldom seen with lightsaber performances.

Thanks, I figured there was a way to do it, I just didn't have the time XD  The slant of the ground did really F with us.  Near the end I lost momentum on my back roll and stand up because of it (and fatigue)  We will be performing on mostly flat surfaces in the future.  As for the kicks, that is something we always have to warm up ahead of time to get the spacing and things right but we didn't have enough time this performance because we were both more concerned with our other fight and the memorization.

THIS WAS AWESOME. Seeing people actually put the force into their duels is always a welcome treat! Good Show would love to see more in the future!
Cool! I like the flow of the wushu in there!
Thanks all!  We really wanted to incorporate some open hand fighting because of our shared Wushu background.  And yes, his shirt does say the Force.  That was my idea Tongue  He has been asked about tackling people int he future and he is totally down for it XD  We just have to figure out how to put it in.  Also, the video cut it off, but after I kill her and walk away, he crosses the field and picks her up and 'absorbs her' into the Force.

Hello! I'm looking through the fights you posted and the others on your playlist. Enjoying it so far.

Few questions and notes on the first fight:

- How did the gauntlet block sell to the audience? Not a lot of people in the general population know/care about Lightsaber Resistant Materials like Phrik or Cortosis. I've seen fights where audience has called foul on the use, as many see a lightsaber as a cutall weapon. Curious to see how it worked for your team, it might have been easier considering the prominence of the gauntlet in costuming. The best way is to have the attacker treat that block as something clearly not normal. It tells the audience that one of these opponents is not playing by the rules.

- The fight uses the terrain a lot, which is a good thing, but it tends to go EVERYWHERE. This can turn in to a mess, especially as the audience has to keep tracking you. I would suggest tightening it up if you're using that space again.

- I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but take your time with this fight. Allow the audience to see and register the hits, allow yourself and your partner to set up for the next chain. Use the force power use in this, allow it as a break to add tension and to give yourselves a break. This will make the fight look cleaner. This felt like a 3 minute+ match in 2:30. Allow it and yourselves the time to breathe. The audience will appreciate it too.

- The use of the stage hand for weapon swaps with the force is amazing. You don't really see that used much actively in the fight.

Overall, this was a great fight that can be made greater. I hope you share the next iteration with us again.

Thanks!  We had some pretty great tallent at this performance.  The gauntlet didn't get much of a reaction at all.  Our audience was 4-12 year olds so if they cared, they didn't say anything.  Everyone was just really excited in general (kids are such an easy audience XD)  It would probably help in a darker performance space because the gauntlet actually lights up. 

We are Wushu athletes and we are used to our forms needing to hit all four corners of a performance space when being judged so we kept that mentality for our fight.  But I will definitely talk to her about sticking in one place more.  I didn't even think of it as distracting.

When we usually practice, it runs at about 2:45.  Adrenalin sped it up and we went faster then normal.  We were also told we couldn't g over 3 minutes and we knew we were close so we were nervous about any pauses.

I thought having him clear the weapons was awesome too Tongue that was my idea, as was the shirt.  When she force pushes my saber away after disarming me the second time, he usually swings it around and runs off with it but there wasn't space Sad

Thanks again to everyone whos posted so far!  Keep the critiques coming Cheesy

Master Uilos
Resident Master
Knight Captain

Snark Jedi

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 05:08:37 AM »

Thanks, I figured there was a way to do it, I just didn't have the time XD  The slant of the ground did really F with us.  Near the end I lost momentum on my back roll and stand up because of it (and fatigue)  We will be performing on mostly flat surfaces in the future.  As for the kicks, that is something we always have to warm up ahead of time to get the spacing and things right but we didn't have enough time this performance because we were both more concerned with our other fight and the memorization.
Thanks all!  We really wanted to incorporate some open hand fighting because of our shared Wushu background.  And yes, his shirt does say the Force.  That was my idea Tongue  He has been asked about tackling people int he future and he is totally down for it XD  We just have to figure out how to put it in.  Also, the video cut it off, but after I kill her and walk away, he crosses the field and picks her up and 'absorbs her' into the Force.

Thanks!  We had some pretty great tallent at this performance.  The gauntlet didn't get much of a reaction at all.  Our audience was 4-12 year olds so if they cared, they didn't say anything.  Everyone was just really excited in general (kids are such an easy audience XD)  It would probably help in a darker performance space because the gauntlet actually lights up. 

We are Wushu athletes and we are used to our forms needing to hit all four corners of a performance space when being judged so we kept that mentality for our fight.  But I will definitely talk to her about sticking in one place more.  I didn't even think of it as distracting.

When we usually practice, it runs at about 2:45.  Adrenalin sped it up and we went faster then normal.  We were also told we couldn't g over 3 minutes and we knew we were close so we were nervous about any pauses.

I thought having him clear the weapons was awesome too Tongue that was my idea, as was the shirt.  When she force pushes my saber away after disarming me the second time, he usually swings it around and runs off with it but there wasn't space Sad

Thanks again to everyone whos posted so far!  Keep the critiques coming Cheesy

One of the key things of the fight is to always keep the focus on where the audience can see you. Your fight as is is perfect if done in the round, like at Ren faires or out door demos where the people viewing it have 360 degree advantage.

Timing for the show, yeah that's always the pain in the ass. If this is the first of many, you'll both get more relaxed in to it and allow yourselves to breathe during it.

Long Live The Fighters

theAfanc
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 02:50:42 AM »

One of the key things of the fight is to always keep the focus on where the audience can see you. Your fight as is is perfect if done in the round, like at Ren faires or out door demos where the people viewing it have 360 degree advantage.

Timing for the show, yeah that's always the pain in the ass. If this is the first of many, you'll both get more relaxed in to it and allow yourselves to breathe during it.

We were prepping this fight for a convention in which last year, the audience was 360.  This performance just happened to not have that be the case.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: