Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: resistor necessary???  (Read 5752 times)
Darth Kenobi
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: -1

« on: October 23, 2011, 07:05:37 PM »

if i want to build a saber with an av switch, 7.4 li ion battery setup and purple led and an obsidian, what would happen if i didnt use a resistor???

darth tratus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -241

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 07:35:37 PM »

i think you do. i have heard that you do need one, that is why i need to get on. oh yeah, i got my soldering stuff today!!! just need a  resistor now!
unless i dont need one as you pointed out. i guess it would be important to know about this.

Darth Caugnien
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -36

Tamer of the Beast!!!

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 09:59:06 PM »

Well, is the "purple" LED an RGB with the red and blue dice mixed? Because if so, the you would definitely need a resistor- in fact, two, one for each die. If you want to know exactly what type of purple you are going to get, wire in a potentiometer between each die, adjust to mix your color of purple you want, measure the resistance of each pot., and buy a resistor for each of those values. If you're using a "true purple" or UV LED, it would depend on the forward Voltage, or the amount of voltage needed, of the LED. But if it's a 3 or 5W LED, then most likely yes, you would need a resistor. However- if it IS a single-die 3 or 5W LED, I would recommend using a BuckPuck LED driver instead of a resistor. It regulates the amount of current that goes to the LED instead of just soaking up the excess and giving it off as useless heat. Much more efficient. Plus, its waaay easier to know which one to get, as you don't have to calculate the proper resistor value using the V=IR formula. You just choose 700 or 1000mA version, and wire it in!

My US sabers: RGB Bane W/Obsidian
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=2170.0

Darth Kenobi
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: -1

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 11:58:19 PM »

well i am using the ultrasaber violet amethyst led, an obsidian, 7.4 lions, and a yellow dot av switch. doesnt the resistor go to the switch?

darth tratus
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 12:01:03 AM »

sounds a lot like my saber. what hilt are you putting it in?

GdFuzz
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 02:27:15 PM »

You are going to need a resistor for the switch and led...  You may want to ask Ultra or Deep, I'm not sure how they tune their RGB's....    7.4 volts will def fry the led, if you don't regulate the current......

darth tratus
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 08:40:19 PM »

i got it with quick disconnects so i believe there are resistors underneath the blue heatshrink.

lordgale119
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 4

I walk within both and neither...

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 09:50:11 PM »

I'm rather interested in this thread, but I was somewhat confused about it. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm going to guess as to what the thread is talking about:
1: certain LEDs can't take the voltage the Obsidian USB board requires, and RGB is included in this,
2: to prevent the LED from going out with a bang in your saber, a special component to manage the voltage is needed, and
3: this upgrade is not included in an RGB/Obsidian combo saber.
am I right so far?
I intend to get a Bellicose with RBG and Obsidian, but this worries me a great deal, seeing as I'm VERY inexperienced when it comes to hardware.

Blazing Red Aeon V2 LE: Heretikos
SRD w/ AB clash Bellicose: Arshaluys

Darth Caugnien
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -36

Tamer of the Beast!!!

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 04:23:18 AM »

Well I have an RGB Bane with Obsidian, and they add a constant current driver and seperate resistors with each die, so its all good when you order an RGB with Obsidian.

My US sabers: RGB Bane W/Obsidian
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=2170.0

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1765

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 08:37:59 AM »

I'm rather interested in this thread, but I was somewhat confused about it. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm going to guess as to what the thread is talking about:
1: certain LEDs can't take the voltage the Obsidian USB board requires, and RGB is included in this,
2: to prevent the LED from going out with a bang in your saber, a special component to manage the voltage is needed, and
3: this upgrade is not included in an RGB/Obsidian combo saber.
am I right so far?
I intend to get a Bellicose with RBG and Obsidian, but this worries me a great deal, seeing as I'm VERY inexperienced when it comes to hardware.

The Obsidian only needs 3.6v, which can power most LED's without any additional power management - but you don't need to even think about that if you buy a saber form us.

Let me just bottom line this:

If you order a saber from us with Obsidian, we do EVERYTHING.  You don't need to worry about any technical details at all, you just turn your saber on and rock and roll.  All you will ever need to know is how to charge the batteries.

If you want to build your own saber with an Obsidian, then you will need to know about LED power management - and if you don't know how to drive an LED, you shouldn't be trying to build sabers.  That would be like a guy wanting to build a house but not knowing how to drive a nail.

Icke10
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 12:18:59 PM »

Just in case I want to change one of the leds in my sabers (US Li-Ion setup, 2 x 3.7 V Battery, arctic blue and guardian blue), can I simply change it to a 10w led with the existing resistor or do I have to keep more in mind ?

GdFuzz
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 05:24:53 PM »

You need to know the voltage requirements and operating current of the led you wish to use....    Once you have that, you need to figure out what kind of resistance is already installed in your saber....   10 watt leds can be expensive, so you def don't want to screw up...     As Alex has already stated...  Saberbuilding is a calculated science...  You def need to research how the process works before you attempt modifications...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: