Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Martial Arts Decision help...  (Read 2351 times)
Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« on: May 13, 2017, 05:17:20 AM »

Just thought I would see what the Forum thinks.  I know many of you here are martial artists and just wanted to get everyone else 2 cents.  I've always wanted to study some kind of weapons martial art and it has been far out of reach.  My preference is Western Martial arts (Longsword, sword and buckler etc)  and I have a practiced a bit on my own with online resources, it isn't the same as having an instructor.  Sadly, there are relatively few groups who practice European Martial Arts (It is growing thankfully) and none remotely close to me.  But there is a Japanese Swordsmanship center very close I was unaware of.  While my preference is European I do have have an appreciation for the Japanese sword (I used to be a Katana-fan boy but  my expanding research broke me of that.  Its a sword not a lightsaber Tongue)  I am considering it because then I can say at least I learned something.  The school offers three Disciplines.   Kendo, Iaido  and Battodo .  I could not possibly afford to practice all three so I would like to hear what you all have to say if you're willing.  Kendo is the bottom of my list.  Battodo and Iaido are the 2 that most interest me but I'm willing to hear the case for Kendo.  Here is the site if any would like to look at it.  http://www.tokubukan.com/

Thanks for any help.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 12:33:29 PM »

Have you sat down with the instructors of the center? Sometimes personal interest, style, prior knowledge, etc. can help them decide which one would be best for you.

Signature banner by DarthScrub

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 01:18:33 AM »

I have a friend who has done some stuff with Iaido, though I don't know how much. He seems to have enjoyed it. Other than that, I got nothin'. I've never had the opportunity to do any form of martial art, even though I would love too. Hope you figure it out.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

SAHPhoto
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 17

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 05:43:38 AM »

I have recently started iado and am so far enjoying it. I come from a kenpo/arnis/fencing background and I took up iado to get used to a two handed grip

Kendo is more of a sport art. I wouldnt mind taking it for some reference, but not on the top of my list

Own:
Guardian Emerald with v4 sound
Phantom Initiate V4 - Stunt Sabre, Violet Amethyst
Grab Bag - Dominix v2, guardian blue

Wish List:
Emperor's Hand

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 05:48:32 AM »

I have recently started iado and am so far enjoying it. I come from a kenpo/arnis/fencing background and I took up iado to get used to a two handed grip

Kendo is more of a sport art. I wouldnt mind taking it for some reference, but not on the top of my list
|

Feel the same.  Perhaps later on for fun.  Battodo is the one I am leaning towards. 

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 11:39:44 PM »

*sigh* this is not what I came here for....

I have issues with the school itself, especially the Kendo part. But I'm not going to go into that here.

Here's my take on the question, and as usual most of it is just my opinion. However, in this case some of it is actually fact based as opposed to just opinion based.

Kendo- First, Kendo is a sport. The point of Kendo is to hit your opponent before they hit you, and it's fairly rare for only one person to get hit in a Kendo duel. Usually both do, just whomever hit first wins. This is in contrast to Kenjutsu, where the point is to cut your opponent without being cut yourself. It's the difference between paintball and a live combat environment.

Iaido - Iaido is the art of drawing the sword, usually incorporating the first cut into the draw. That's it. It doesn't really go any further into combat than that. It does also include the proper cleaning/sheathing of the sword as well. So, it's like the first two moves in a chess match, and then picking of the pieces and putting them away. There's nothing in between.

Battodo - Battodo is the art of cutting with the sword, though very limited in actual combat techniques. As odd as it may seem, it's actually very easy to swing a sword, but not have the blade angled correctly so that the edge hits its target correctly. It can mean the difference between taking someone's arm off, and just leaving a nasty bruise.

To sum it up, Kendo is good exercise, Iaido will teach you to draw and cut in one movement, and Battodo will teach you to properly cut something. None of the above will teach you any type of actual combat skills (I know at least Kendo practitioners will argue with that, but I stand by my view on it. While there are valid Kendo techniques that could be used for combat, and will result in the defeat of your opponent, too many of them will end up with you being cut as well, usually resulting in mutual defeat).

So, to answer your question, it depends on what you're looking to get out of it. Kendo is actually going to give you the best workout and be the most exercise of the three. Battodo is going to be the best as far as a foundation to build actual combat techniques upon. Iaido would be my last choice, for while it is an excellent skill to posses, it's the least relevant to general combat. Personally my first choice would be Battodo, partially because being able to cut correctly is important, but mostly because tameshigiri is a lot of fun.

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 12:03:24 AM »

*sigh* this is not what I came here for....

I have issues with the school itself, especially the Kendo part. But I'm not going to go into that here.

Here's my take on the question, and as usual most of it is just my opinion. However, in this case some of it is actually fact based as opposed to just opinion based.

Kendo- First, Kendo is a sport. The point of Kendo is to hit your opponent before they hit you, and it's fairly rare for only one person to get hit in a Kendo duel. Usually both do, just whomever hit first wins. This is in contrast to Kenjutsu, where the point is to cut your opponent without being cut yourself. It's the difference between paintball and a live combat environment.

Iaido - Iaido is the art of drawing the sword, usually incorporating the first cut into the draw. That's it. It doesn't really go any further into combat than that. It does also include the proper cleaning/sheathing of the sword as well. So, it's like the first two moves in a chess match, and then picking of the pieces and putting them away. There's nothing in between.

Battodo - Battodo is the art of cutting with the sword, though very limited in actual combat techniques. As odd as it may seem, it's actually very easy to swing a sword, but not have the blade angled correctly so that the edge hits its target correctly. It can mean the difference between taking someone's arm off, and just leaving a nasty bruise.

To sum it up, Kendo is good exercise, Iaido will teach you to draw and cut in one movement, and Battodo will teach you to properly cut something. None of the above will teach you any type of actual combat skills (I know at least Kendo practitioners will argue with that, but I stand by my view on it. While there are valid Kendo techniques that could be used for combat, and will result in the defeat of your opponent, too many of them will end up with you being cut as well, usually resulting in mutual defeat).

So, to answer your question, it depends on what you're looking to get out of it. Kendo is actually going to give you the best workout and be the most exercise of the three. Battodo is going to be the best as far as a foundation to build actual combat techniques upon. Iaido would be my last choice, for while it is an excellent skill to posses, it's the least relevant to general combat. Personally my first choice would be Battodo, partially because being able to cut correctly is important, but mostly because tameshigiri is a lot of fun.

I was leaning towards Battado anyway because of the points you listed.  I am not  new comer in terms of handling swords and test cutting, just no strict training under my belt.  As I stated, in the absence of Hema teachers near me to further my skill set, this is a close second.  Not putting down these arts at all but they would not be my first choice..if I had a choice.

Soul
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -115

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 06:03:12 AM »

...I've always wanted to study some kind of weapons martial art and it has been far out of reach.  My preference is Western Martial arts (Longsword, sword and buckler etc)  and I have a practiced a bit on my own with online resources, it isn't the same as having an instructor.  Sadly, there are relatively few groups who practice European Martial Arts...

Moving away from the above discussion about Japanese disciplines, and back to your reference to longsword and sword/buckler fighting arts;  Have you looked into any of the foam weapon codes?  While not martial arts by any stretch of the imagination, it may satisfy your desire to do some weapon sparring, or learn a type of fighting with more European/Western weapons.

Prominent examples in America (I'm making an assumption you're from the states) are Belegarth, Dagorhir, and Amtgard.

Sparring training for these clubs/sports are treated very seriously, often with the same professionalism and seriousness as some martial arts I've done.

I personally play a team sport called Jugger, using sword and shield.  (Jugger is what you'd get if you had a 5v5 game of American football, but gave everyone but the quarterback weapons.)  Jugger exists in the states, but is much more prevalent in Germany, Spain, Ireland, and Australia.

I might be waaaay off base, but figured I'd throw the suggestion out there  Smiley

Neither Sith nor Jedi, however dark side points are appropriate

My saber: Aeon LE V4 Fire Orange stunt

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 08:28:21 AM »

Moving away from the above discussion about Japanese disciplines, and back to your reference to longsword and sword/buckler fighting arts;  Have you looked into any of the foam weapon codes?  While not martial arts by any stretch of the imagination, it may satisfy your desire to do some weapon sparring, or learn a type of fighting with more European/Western weapons.

Prominent examples in America (I'm making an assumption you're from the states) are Belegarth, Dagorhir, and Amtgard.

Sparring training for these clubs/sports are treated very seriously, often with the same professionalism and seriousness as some martial arts I've done.

I personally play a team sport called Jugger, using sword and shield.  (Jugger is what you'd get if you had a 5v5 game of American football, but gave everyone but the quarterback weapons.)  Jugger exists in the states, but is much more prevalent in Germany, Spain, Ireland, and Australia.

I might be waaaay off base, but figured I'd throw the suggestion out there  Smiley

I know of them, and as usual, not really a large local presence for me.  I have been a part of the S.C.A (Society for Creative Anachronism) which is a historical LARP in a way where we use rattan weapons and real armor (for the most part).  I just wanted to have an actual martial system to claim expertise in.  Thank you for the link,  Have a point

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 06:04:55 AM »

I was leaning towards Battado anyway because of the points you listed.  I am not  new comer in terms of handling swords and test cutting, just no strict training under my belt.  As I stated, in the absence of Hema teachers near me to further my skill set, this is a close second.  Not putting down these arts at all but they would not be my first choice..if I had a choice.

Right, yes. I tend to not make assumptions about what people do and don't know, and over explain for that reason. And I have a 15 year old daughter and 22 year old step son, who, if I don't explain in detail, will end up doing who knows what with what I ask them to do. "Bake a cake" can easily become "build as scale model of a zeppelin in the back yard."

As for preferred combat styles/martial arts/etc., that's all personal preference, and whatever works best for a person. My only request is to let us know what you decide on and update us on what you think of it.

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

Soul
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -115

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 06:23:39 AM »

"Bake a cake" can easily become "build as scale model of a zeppelin in the back yard."
Point  Cheesy

Neither Sith nor Jedi, however dark side points are appropriate

My saber: Aeon LE V4 Fire Orange stunt

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: