Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down
Author Topic: Customization Challenge???? Anyone interested...  (Read 29609 times)
Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #90 on: July 01, 2017, 04:07:43 PM »

Thanks JS.  I have watched him doing his technique multiple times and it's really helpful.  No on purpose weathering or shattering for my saber this time... err yet.  Do mistakes count lol.  Precision is the goal.  Finally found some Rustoleum clear satin topcoat.  Lots of gloss cans available.  Note to self to carefully read application instructions first.  Cheesy

point for your awesome signature photo  Cool

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #91 on: July 06, 2017, 05:49:42 PM »

Hi all.  Just a quick update.  Saber is coming along but I'm going to have to be mindful of the time frame as it's evolving on a weekly if not almost daily basis lol.  For some reason the Testors enamel paint is not wanting to dry to fully hard on the areas that have been sanded or dremeled down.  Frustrating and it is testing my patience lol !  Will have to clear coat it soon as the paint is wearing off in my hands.  Other than that all is good ( I hope ).  Cheesy

I sure hope that the Rustoleum satin clear coat is going to stick to the lightly sanded black anodizing... if not things are about to get really interesting and there might be an object hurdling into the ocean that's not a meteor. ha ha  Grin

EDIT:  Need some input about the coating again.  Would a matte spray finish take better and not be as slippery to hold.  Really concerned about the anodizing and it not drying on smoothly.  It's too late to sand down more of the saber.  Undecided

TR-77477
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -361

Join The Darkside ( We have cookies)

« Reply #92 on: July 09, 2017, 12:17:14 PM »

From my experience the shinier it is the more slippery it will be. A matte or satin will be best. Satin has more shine then the matte. if you are really concerned about the drying do it in light coats and give it time in-between to dry.

"The Jedi and Sith wield the Ashla and the Bogan, the light and the dark. I'm the one in the middle, the Bendu."

Wish list---Consular--Flamberge V2--Omen

Make-A-Wish Donations

Dark apprentice v4 with FOC and basic sound GB -- Dark Apprentice LE v4 (Grab Bag) GB
Dark Apprentice v4 (Grab bag) BR -- Dark Apprentice v4 (Grab bag) BR

Gifted

Dominix V4--- Initiate V4---Graflex SE SD---Dark Apprentice v4 GB
Dark Standard issue CG at Dcon 2018---Six Mystery Boxes at dcon 2019

TR-77477
Knight Commander

« Reply #93 on: July 09, 2017, 12:18:20 PM »

Also make sure it is not very humid out or you may get some cloudiness in the coats.

"The Jedi and Sith wield the Ashla and the Bogan, the light and the dark. I'm the one in the middle, the Bendu."

Make-A-Wish Donations

Dark apprentice v4 with FOC and basic sound GB -- Dark Apprentice LE v4 (Grab Bag) GB

Gifted

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #94 on: July 09, 2017, 03:54:23 PM »

Thanks TR for your helpful guidance.  Am going to use a matte finish.  The new Rustoleum product gives 2x the coverage so definitely will be light coating.  Smiley

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #95 on: July 10, 2017, 12:16:02 PM »

I really have to start working on my Libby, I've been busy making a bunch of PVC hilts lately.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #96 on: July 10, 2017, 02:40:30 PM »

I was going to ditch this in favor of other projects, but due to the fact that what I need to do this is less expensive than the others, I decided to finish mine.  Plus, I plan to test some techniques and a grab bag is the most economical way to do that.  Cheesy

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #97 on: July 10, 2017, 03:44:52 PM »

I'm mainly completing this saber for the goodwill of the Forum.  We all definitely need to add something new for members to discuss and get excited about.  I've really mostly enjoyed my saber custom journey and am so looking forward to seeing what other's have designed and crafted.  Hope that the original participants are still involved and that there are also a few surprise customizations. Smiley

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #98 on: July 10, 2017, 03:56:13 PM »

I'm mainly completing this saber for the goodwill of the Forum.  We all definitely need to add something new for members to discuss and get excited about.  I've really mostly enjoyed my saber custom journey and am so looking forward to seeing what other's have designed and crafted.  Hope that the original participants are still involved and that there are also a few surprise customizations. Smiley

Well said.  Smiley

I love seeing other peoples' work, it gives me lots of inspiration.

Isola815
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 594

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #99 on: July 11, 2017, 10:29:15 AM »

So contribute multiple times if you can.  

Okie dokie.

One is finished. Working on the other one now  Wink Tongue

TR-77477
Knight Commander

« Reply #100 on: July 11, 2017, 12:31:34 PM »

I recieved my last two parts yesterday. Once I mod them mine will be done..

Make-A-Wish Donations

Gifted

Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #101 on: July 11, 2017, 02:30:34 PM »

When's your due date? Aug?

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #102 on: July 11, 2017, 02:49:59 PM »

When's your due date? Aug?

Yes, August 1st.

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #103 on: July 12, 2017, 04:34:09 PM »

Really want this saber to be completed so that my living room is restored to normal.  Will never again custom engrave a black anodized saber if meant to be used and not just a display piece.  Will do as Drahcir has suggested which is start with a silver aluminum then prime/paint with base color.  Am hoping that the clear top coat is going to stick.  Also there have been times that I wish that I had the skill to do acid etching.  Have watched Rev's YouTube instructional several times but not yet confident enough to try by myself ( and only I know why lol ).  It's been a fun project though but I can still screw up royally.  Cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK8lNpS2iIE    ( Rev's video )

Now to think about a cool blade plug... empty thoughts... definitely borrowing from other's creations.  Roll Eyes

On another future custom note... was able to purchase a dozen KDP marble sized crystal balls from a local crystal shop.  Pretty much took the entirety of what they had as are so difficult to find.  Cheesy

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #104 on: July 12, 2017, 04:36:09 PM »

I really have to start working on my Libby, I've been busy making a bunch of PVC hilts lately.

Wanted to check out the cosplay items you have been creating but can't seem to find which post had the link.  Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: