Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Should I post the "Mace Windu" font I made? Ethical revision, please help  (Read 11265 times)
CyberKyber
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: -432

« on: May 16, 2017, 05:37:06 PM »

Hey all! So, I have a bit of a dilemma. I just spent the better part of this day finishing up a very special (and hilarious) font that I needed to have. Now, I'd love to post it, but here's the deal:

First off, it's a font which is just Samuel L. Jackson (or Mace Windu if you prefer XD) saying "MotherF*****" over and over. It's got custom everything, custom ignition, power off, lockup, swings, clashes, boots (and a Mace Windu "This party's over" boot sound), mixing saber effects with his actual voice, not just his voice. For the lightsaber effects, I believed I used "Lightsaber 3" by Aldar Beedo (props to you, all your fonts are amazing and also make up for great bases).

Now, two things about this font: 1) This is a font with a lot of profanity, well, 100% profanity actually XD Only swearing (which is fine by me, but I don't want to offend anyone either...).

and most important of all: 2) It wasn't my idea. I believe the idea is originally from Shameem Moshrefzadeh, quite a big youtuber, saber installer and font creator (which he posts on saber font). I love his work, and have actually bought a few of his fonts (and will never give them away or use them as bases, obviously XD). The thing is, he showed he created a very similar font (essentially the same, just Samuel L. Jackson saying that word over and over) but with no swing or clash sounds. I think he made that font for personal use only because he has not posted it anywhere, so I decided to make it myself from zero.

So that's the big ethical doubt. I didn't steal it/download it, I made it, but it wasn't my idea, it was his idea. I mean, I think it would be fine if I posted it because, for one, he hasn't posted it on saber font, so he's not selling it, and by posting it on here, I don't plan on making any money out of it XD. It's also not perfect, so, to be honest, if he ever does post his own version, I'll actually buy that XD.

So this is my reasoning, but I wanted to ask for opinions first. It was a lot of work to make, but also a lot of fun! I even edited his famous quote to say "I've had it with these motherf.... SITH in this motherf.... plane!".

Let's hear your opinions! Thanks!

Lightsabers:
Counterfeit/Violent Darth Vader lightsaber (ROTJ look)- reaper emitter, warglaive body, T-grips, Heiland/MPP activation clamp -
Emerald driver + Obsidian V4 - Crimson red
Menace SE staff - BR
Chosen Once CE - Obs V4 Deep Red (custom)
Graflex SE - Obs V4 GB
Archon V3.1 - Obs V4 Viridian green (custom lime+cyan)
War glaive/reaper hybrid, raven style - Deep Red/FO
Custom Prophecy V3 (Anakin AotC) -Medium Blue (custom)
Dominix V3 LE - CG
Apprentice LE (with black grip) - VA
Aeon V3 - TRI GB
Dominix V2 - SD

Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 06:03:26 PM »

I guess you would need to find out if your breaking any rules by posting it. If so I would avoid doing so. Things are getting deleted lately if they aren't in The best interest of the company. My opinion is that's even though it may be funny to you it may not be appropriate.

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

CyberKyber
Knight Templar

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 06:23:33 PM »

I guess you would need to find out if your breaking any rules by posting it. If so I would avoid doing so. Things are getting deleted lately if they aren't in The best interest of the company. My opinion is that's even though it may be funny to you it may not be appropriate.

Seems like a fair point =/

Lightsabers:
Counterfeit/Violent Darth Vader lightsaber (ROTJ look)- reaper emitter, warglaive body, T-grips, Heiland/MPP activation clamp -
Menace SE staff - BR
Graflex SE - Obs V4 GB
Dominix V3 LE - CG
Aeon V3 - TRI GB
Dominix V2 - SD

ModalNodes
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 16

NOOOOOOOOO

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 08:26:01 PM »

I agree; the font sounds like it will be cool, but you should definitely check the rules thoroughly before posting it.

"I am a Jedi, like my father before me." -Spock (Raiders of the Lost Ark, 2013)

Shimmy_Jim
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 13

"Not this ship sister!"

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 11:07:17 PM »

It might not have a home here, I think it might be an issue, regardless if you don't mind sharing it with me I would be thrilled to have this on my saber! feel free to personal message me a link to it. It sounds like you put some effort into this and I'd love to check it out! I'm a fan of funny and unique song fonts!

CyberKyber
Knight Templar

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 11:47:12 AM »

It might not have a home here, I think it might be an issue, regardless if you don't mind sharing it with me I would be thrilled to have this on my saber! feel free to personal message me a link to it. It sounds like you put some effort into this and I'd love to check it out! I'm a fan of funny and unique song fonts!

Yeah, sounds like a good idea! If anyone wants the font, just let me know and I'll PM it! I just sent it to you too, Shimmy Jim, hope you enjoy it!

And regarding the rules, Rule number 4 is probably the most relevant here: being polite, respectful and courteous. Mentions that colorful language is permitted, but should be a kept to a minimum if possible, and always being respectful to others. However, when it comes to something so specific as creating a sound font that only swears... XD It's too specific, I don't know if it applies here, but for now, if anyone wants it, I'll PM it. Hopefully, eventually someone will be able to clear it up further!

Lightsabers:
Menace SE staff - BR
Graflex SE - Obs V4 GB
Dominix V3 LE - CG
Aeon V3 - TRI GB
Dominix V2 - SD

ModalNodes
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 16

NOOOOOOOOO

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 06:10:36 PM »

CyberKyber, that sounds good! I would love to get the font, so could you please PM that to me, however you do that? Thanks!

"I am a Jedi, like my father before me." -Spock (Raiders of the Lost Ark, 2013)

CyberKyber
Knight Templar

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 08:03:59 PM »

CyberKyber, that sounds good! I would love to get the font, so could you please PM that to me, however you do that? Thanks!

Donezo! Enjoy! =)

Lightsabers:
Menace SE staff - BR
Graflex SE - Obs V4 GB
Dominix V3 LE - CG
Aeon V3 - TRI GB
Dominix V2 - SD

projectno253
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -88

There is no Peace...only Victory

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 11:46:00 PM »

What's getting deleted?

In response to OP, I see nothing wrong with posting something you made, even if it is from someone else's idea. It was a very broad idea to use someone's voice, so you'd be in your right to do the same. For free of course. Remember that all of this giant business and all of these companies are using an idea from one man, even if some say differently ( yeah, okay)

Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 11:54:43 PM »

What's getting deleted?

In response to OP, I see nothing wrong with posting something you made, even if it is from someone else's idea. It was a very broad idea to use someone's voice, so you'd be in your right to do the same. For free of course. Remember that all of this giant business and all of these companies are using an idea from one man, even if some say differently ( yeah, okay)

It has nothing to do with it being someone else's idea, but every thing to do with posting a sound font that's profane. Loaded with the F word.  Go head and posted it, but don't say I didn't warn you.

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

CyberKyber
Knight Templar

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 10:06:11 AM »

What's getting deleted?

That is true XD At the end of the day, it's all Star Wars Tongue And I get your point. What would be unacceptable, for example, would be to buy a font, convert it, and post it here for people to get for free =S.

It has nothing to do with it being someone else's idea, but every thing to do with posting a sound font that's profane. Loaded with the F word.  Go head and posted it, but don't say I didn't warn you.

Don't worry, I do see your point. As I said before, I'll just PM it to whoever wants it for now. Jediseth, Projectno253, do any of you want it? =)

Also, maybe a moderator could give a bit more insight to this? Anyone? Tongue

Lightsabers:
Menace SE staff - BR
Graflex SE - Obs V4 GB
Dominix V3 LE - CG
Aeon V3 - TRI GB
Dominix V2 - SD

MARIO9565
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 04:17:42 AM »

i would like this sound font, sounds funny

Zyn
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 63

What do I see? Light... Darkness.... Balance

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 02:02:23 PM »

I'd love to hear what you came up with. Can you PM me the share address please?

"The protectors of the Balance must stand on the edge of two worlds, accepted by neither, masters of both."

Butcher (Diamond) | Emperor's Hand* (BR) | Lost Gray* (SD) | Sentinel v4* (BR) | Reaper (AB) | D. Initiate (AS) | D. Apprentice LE v4 (SY) | Aeon v4 (CG) (WILLING TO TRADE) | Dark Sentinel/Aeon Staff (FO) | D. Prophecy Build Project (Pending)

CyberKyber
Knight Templar

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2017, 03:24:36 PM »

i would like this sound font, sounds funny

I'd love to hear what you came up with. Can you PM me the share address please?

PMed both of you; enjoy! =)

Lightsabers:
Menace SE staff - BR
Graflex SE - Obs V4 GB
Dominix V3 LE - CG
Aeon V3 - TRI GB
Dominix V2 - SD

Zyn
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 63

What do I see? Light... Darkness.... Balance

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2017, 03:40:02 PM »

Those are hysterical! I could actually see SLJ himself using these in a hilarious Star Wars spoof. Well done, and points to you!

"The protectors of the Balance must stand on the edge of two worlds, accepted by neither, masters of both."

Butcher (Diamond) | Emperor's Hand* (BR) | Lost Gray* (SD) | Sentinel v4* (BR) | Reaper (AB) | D. Initiate (AS) | D. Apprentice LE v4 (SY) | Aeon v4 (CG) (WILLING TO TRADE) | Dark Sentinel/Aeon Staff (FO) | D. Prophecy Build Project (Pending)

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: