Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: So much for SneakPlate  (Read 2664 times)
Kouri
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 328

Artisan

« on: May 16, 2017, 07:46:20 PM »

Been Co-GM-ing a game of Edge of the Empire/Force and Destiny, and figured I'd whip up a doodle of one of our PCs as a present for the player's graduation.

Still need to clean up the face and smooth out the rest of the detailing, but posting to talk about it since keeping it a surprise is frustrating, hah.

Kouri
Knight Commander

Artisan

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 03:26:51 PM »

Ditched the pencil lines and otherwise cleaned up and detailed everything but the head.

Also other tweaks like making the saber hilts thinner and fixing the trooper's reflection so that the front feet matched up.

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 05:34:05 PM »

Wow !  I was confused at first ( what else is new ) and was not sure if you had made this picture ?!

Are you kidding me !  You are one talented youngish man !!  The 2nd version looks much sharper and with cleaner details.

Aside from your awesome saber customizations, parts, saber stands and art... what else do you accomplish ?

Thanks for sharing and am looking forward to a continuation of this post.

awesomely cool point  Cool Smiley  

Kouri
Knight Commander

Artisan

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 12:50:45 PM »

What else? Mmm~ There was that one time I made an Android app. I actually need to get back and update that game with achievements and better graphics...

Aaaand out of time. This is as far as I got before having to run to the printer.

Mostly brightening the hair and cleaning up the colored layers.

Kouri
Knight Commander

Artisan

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 01:22:47 PM »

A quick overview of the process, in case anyone is interested.

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 04:11:30 PM »

Thanks loads Kouri.  I am often wondering how graphics animators ( correct description/title ?! ) do their magic.  Smiley

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 04:14:09 PM »

That's really awesome, Kouri.  I especially like the breakdown image showing how you did it.  You've got some skills, that's for sure.  Have a well earned point.  Smiley

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 07:47:47 PM »

That is pretty sweet. I have no skills in this area, although I would love to learn, so this is really cool to me.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Kouri
Knight Commander

Artisan

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 12:30:04 PM »

Thanks, guys. Here's a behind-the-scenes look at the thought process to wrap this post up:

1) Character's played by the same buddy I built Alternate Apprentice for, so let's use that as the character's main saber.

2A) The character just picked up a second hilt from a dead NPC, and the player expressed some interest in dual-wielding, so let's go with a dual wield photo.

2B) The player would probably prefer two light-blue blades, but I thought the picture would be more interesting with two different-colored blades. I imagined building both sabers with a light-blue style LED in each, so one would get an Enhanced Blue Day Blade, the other a Photon Green Day Blade - hence the Sky and Lime sabers in the photo.

2C) This needed to be more interesting than a just-standing-there-character-study, so I had to hunt down a decent dual-wielding pose. Settled on the photo of Play Arts Kai Cloud. Also wound up liking the big-pocket pants on the figure as a design element for our wannabe smuggler.

3A) Outfit needed to be designed. Player wanted some sort of black coat to focus on the character's smuggler background. The lightsabers and force-sensitivity were just tools - we're not dealing with a Jedi here.

3B) Last session, Character looted the armor from this defeated boss:

With help from another character, he managed to purge the armor of it's dark side influence, but damaged some of the armor plating in the process. More was stripped away to save weight, and what remained was used in construction of a new armored coat. You can see modified parts of the shoulder pads, arm braces, shin guards, and belt in the drawing.

4) Okay, so Character is jumping/running - well he needs *somewhere* to run. Game takes place during the OT, during the gap between ANH and ESB, and I realized one of those oval-lit corridors would be neat. A search for "star wars corridor" brought up a bunch of results, and I lucked out in finding one to repaint that looked like it would fit the character.

5) Well *why* is the character running? I'm joking with myself that he failed a Stealth roll (even with the bonus the armor offers), so let's throw a storm trooper in back. Found one at a nice enough angle with a blaster bolt ready to go.

6) Last bit's a quirk of the player/character to use (or abuse, depending on which GM you ask) the Character's Force-Enhance ability to permanently increase his Agility stat. Use of the Force is often invisible in the movies, but I wanted some visual representation that the character was enhancing his speed through the Force, so I slapped a white aura and *woosh* to the figure.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: