Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: LED Make and Model Question  (Read 1826 times)
zahnman
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 2

« on: May 19, 2017, 04:54:10 AM »

I have a grab bag saber configured for VA that I want to modify but since I don't know the make and model of the LED, I can't look up the Voltage and mA information. Does anyone know what type of LED this is?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/149897795@N03/34615975271/in/photostream/

Any help will be greatly welcome

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 01:54:35 PM »

I have one of those too.  It looks like it may be an older style Luxeon:

http://www.luxeonstar.com/discontinued-led-products

However, I'm assuming this is for resistor calculation and you don't need exact numbers.  You can get rough numbers, maybe round it up a bit, and calculate a resistor that's probably within tolerance for that LED.

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2027

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 03:05:24 PM »

Yeah I also have a VA led I don't use anymore and would like to try and make a nice bright blue out of if possible. Maybe just don't wire the red side whichever side itd be? But then if you were to do just a blue would the 3w stock resistor work?

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG,
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 03:42:40 PM »

I'm either going to hook mine back up as VA or do a saber in blue with VA flash on clash.  Smiley

To answer your question, Zren, the standard resistors should work with any single LED.  As far as I know, US uses basically one resistor for stunts, one that falls within the tolerances of all colors.

zahnman
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 10:19:49 PM »

Hi Scifidude79 and Zren ,

Thanks for the replies  Cheesy

Scifidude79:
 yeah, I thought it might have been a luxeonstar too but their LEDs have their brand name on them same, with the Crees.  I found a few matches online but the voltage and current information varied so much that I was hoping to get at least current and voltage limit information that US uses when they create VA, BH, etc so I won't burn up my LED when I start to.... tinker  Grin.  I don't really need to know what brand it is, just the Voltage and current limits for each RGB die in the LED.

Since I am new to all this I assumed that someone here has already found out the magic information.

Zren :  Looking inside my VA it looks like there is one resistor connected directly to the Red die covered in heat shrink. There is a larger resistor soldered closer to the 4 AAA battery pack. For me to get a look at what type and how many watts it is I would have to cut the wires and I am not ready to do that just yet. My Light saber still has that new saber smell and I am still getting a kick out of swinging it around.  Cheesy
I love my US saber; I just want to see if I can modify it without breaking the bank or at least stay within my budget  Roll Eyes.

RevanReborn
Technomancer of the Graflex Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1086

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 12:53:16 AM »

Hey Zahnman Smiley

Most likely led engin.  That's what it looks like for sure- they have both pale and black top stars that I've seen (as do luxeon and cree etc) so it can be tricky ID'ing from photo tho lol. 

Just assume a 2.6V @ 1000mA for the red as your specs.  Probabaly don't want to run it quite at the 1A though- if 2.6 volts gets you 1000mA, I'm gonna guess without doing the math (simple cross multiplication) that 2V would have you running between 700/800mA, which is perfect Smiley.  You can use a 700ma buck puck for that matter if you don't wanna do any math. 

The blue will be more forgiving- check led engin's data sheets for blue dice on their rgb stars- probabaly all the same'ish.  Even if you just sort of guess the info you need from an average of what the specs are for the blues you find, you'll be fine.  And the blue you can run at the full 1000mA no prob, so the resistor calculations will be straightforward- just pop in the number you're going with for the voltage at 1A, the battery voltage, and you've got your resistor value.  Go with 3W minimum just to be safe- you can use larger if you want, like 5W, it won't affect anything about resistance, just ability to handle heat. 

zahnman
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 06:45:38 PM »

Thanks to every one who replied. I hope I have provided points to everyone who replied so far in the proper fashion.  If not please let me know the proper way to award points and I will do so Cheesy

Now I am curious to know how many people have successfully rewired their RGB LEDs and what type of problems or issues you encountered and what you did to overcome the problem.

Thanks in Advance

Kouri
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 328

Artisan

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 07:06:34 PM »

Most Premium colors used to be ProLight 3W RGB emitters - though this one looks like an Epiled 3W RGB emitter. Reds range from 2.0-3.0v (safe bet at ~2.6v). Blue and Green vary 3.2-3.8 (safe guess at 3.6v)

While each color is actually rated at ~350mA , they overdrive alright, but I wouldn't push any one single color over 700mA.

If you're not using the standard US setup, they'll fit the same lens holder as LEDEngin or the old LuxIII stars.

zahnman
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 03:21:21 AM »

Hi Kouri  Smiley,

Thanks for the reply and great information  Grin

Hmmm...It seems like this little RGB LED has multiple identity disorder.  Wink

Now I am not sure if I want to risk messing with the configuration.  Undecided

I am going to take all the information and work through the Voltage and Current requirements. I am determined to learn how to mod and eventually make a saber on my own.

Points for the information and explanation  Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: