Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Couple of mods on a quiet weekend  (Read 1463 times)
Seano
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: -229

« on: May 21, 2017, 05:34:06 AM »

As I'm on call this weekend, so can't really go out and do anything (I work as a Cardiac Cath Lab RN, where we do angiograms, angioplasties and stenting, pacemaker insertions, etc., and we have to be within 20 minutes - 1/2 hour from the hospital), I thought I'd do a couple of little mods to some of my sabres.
Firstly, the pommel on my Lost Gray (which I just had upgraded to a Diamond controller - couple of bugs initially, but I've sorted them out now!) - I had previously painted the knobbly bits gold, which looked quite good, but after only a few weeks, have gone really dull - here's how it looked

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=34629.msg554423#msg554423

So I thought "stuff this!", and have just painted them a gloss black -

Next up, the screws on my Prophecy and Dark Prophecy. I don't if it's just me, but I find having to use a hex wrench to remove the screws a pain in the hole (Northern Irish saying for "pain in the butt"!). So I bought some 8/32 Washer Face Thumb Screws, and just trimmed down the threads with my trusty Dremel! There's a small 1mm gap between the washer face and the sabre, as the thread doesn't go all the way up to the washer face, but I think they look quite good, and are now so much easier to remove!

Ramse Moade the Grey

Current Sabres - Graflex SE in GB & Obsidian V3, Shock in TRI BR (QD's) & Obsidian V3, Customised Dorinian with Diamond Controller, Dark Catalyst in Adegan Silver with Arctic Blue FOC and Obsidian V3 (Customisation WIP)

JediXIX
Alchemist of the Sentinel Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1172

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 10:41:27 AM »

Liking the attention to detail Seano . . . +1 Smiley

Did you mask off around the knobby bits before painting ?

Remember... The Force will be with you... Always . . . (Just let it in)

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 02:42:50 PM »

The black highlights on the pommel really pop against the silver finish. I know what you were doing with the gold before but I like the results of this much more. Nice!

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 03:04:48 PM »

Great stuff.  You can't go wrong with black and silver.  Smiley

MavRick
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 600

May the force be with you! (give light side )

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 08:53:28 PM »

I'm liking what you did there my friend.  Grin Nicely done. Point to you good sir.

Sabers I own:                                           
 Graflex Tri-cree AB w/sd & bronze buttons
 Consular CG w/sd an silver foc
 Archon CG w/sd an silver foc
 Prophecy CG w/sd an silver foc
 Dorinian SRD w/lite sd and AB foc
 Guardian in GB
 Aeon V3 in GB
 Dark Standard Issue BR w/vert grooves
 Dark Apprentice AB (Freebee!)
 Sentinel LE V4 w/windows in SY
 Dark Sentinel LE V5 in AB (raffle prize)
 Initiate LE V4 in GB
 Franken saber in VA
Wish list: Dark Prophecy BR w/sd, dark cat pommel; Azure Dorinian AB; Dominix LE V2 in BR gift for a friend

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 09:12:39 PM »

Those are pretty neat mods. Nice job.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 09:56:23 PM »

I have to agree with the general consensus that the juxtaposition between the silver and black really makes for a winning combo  Smiley
I am glad to see the original gold hardware as I was thinking of going that route when I make my own purchase (now I know that it looks good but also the black as an alternative  Grin).

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Seano
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: -229

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 11:36:28 PM »

Liking the attention to detail Seano . . . +1 Smiley

Did you mask off around the knobby bits before painting ?

Yep, got some blue painters tape from Bunnings, cut them into small strips, then spray painted the knobbly bits.

Ramse Moade the Grey

Current Sabres - Graflex SE in GB & Obsidian V3, Shock in TRI BR (QD's) & Obsidian V3, Customised Dorinian with Diamond Controller, Dark Catalyst in Adegan Silver with Arctic Blue FOC and Obsidian V3 (Customisation WIP)

Huer-Ta
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 34

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 07:37:03 PM »

I like what you did with that pommel quite a bit.  I'm with you on the thumb screws, it's a very simple mod that not only makes taking the blade in/out less of a hassle but also add a nice little touch to your saber.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: