Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Assorted musings on my first purchase  (Read 4441 times)
Ross357
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 2

« on: May 21, 2017, 10:56:21 PM »

Hi All,

Being unfamiliar with US I decided to go the inexpensive route for my first lightsaber in my weapons collection. I nabbed a Dark Initiate LE v4 with a 32" UE midgrade blade, emitter windows, a silver AV switch, and the Fire Orange blade.

First point: It's gorgeous, well made and decently balanced (as far as I can tell) and I really like it! My only minor grumble is the Fire Orange is a bit creamsicle in color. Had I looked at the forum first I may have picked something else. I ordered some colored film cell sheets to see if I can tweak it a bit.

Second: I highly recommend the silver AV switch, it looks great with all the rest of the chrome on the glossy black hilt. Minor grumble number 2, the AV switch isn't a "click" switch, the depress on, depress off just doesn't feel "substantial" to me. Works fine and looks great it's just a me issue.

While on the topic of switches, I would have happily paid for an illuminated AV switch but they're only offered on hilts with sound. Does anyone know if there's a serious reason for this? I'm no electrical engineer but I know enough to know that wiring one in shouldn't be a problem.

All in all it's REALLY nice and is going to look great once I hang it on the wall.

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 01:29:11 AM »

First off: great choice for your first saber^^  I agree that the silver/chrome juxtaposes beautifully with the black hilt.  I am sorry to hear that the FO wasn't up to your expectations (one of the reasons that I took so long for my first purchase was the extensive reading and research on these very same forums; the threads from fellow members helped SO much to answer and satiate my own edification  Smiley).  However, if I might offer a bit of comfort/insight: now you have the perfect excuse to purchase your next saber!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 03:23:13 AM »

Excellent choice on your first saber. Mine was a pair of those with Violet Amethyst blades

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 03:29:14 AM »

Pictures!  Cheesy

A latching clicky switch has one job - provide power to the LED.

A momentary switch (illuminated AV) has more than one job besides powering on/off the LED - it also turns on the speaker, enables flash on clash effect, changes sound fonts ect.  These actions requires multiple presses without having to turn the saber off, enabling function on the fly.

So if you have a stunt only saber, the latching clicky switch is all you need - the latching AV was new beginning of last year (earlier?) which was a big step up from the guarded switch ... which was the only one available for years on stunt sabers.

Hope that makes sense Smiley  

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Ross357
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 03:46:59 AM »

First off: great choice for your first saber^^  I agree that the silver/chrome juxtaposes beautifully with the black hilt.  I am sorry to hear that the FO wasn't up to your expectations (one of the reasons that I took so long for my first purchase was the extensive reading and research on these very same forums; the threads from fellow members helped SO much to answer and satiate my own edification  Smiley).  However, if I might offer a bit of comfort/insight: now you have the perfect excuse to purchase your next saber!

Thanks! I don't hate the FO, I just thought it would be a deeper/darker orange. If those film cells work out I'll post about it.

I've already received my Emperor's Hand  Grin, I've wanted that hilt since I first saw it almost 10 years ago!

Ross357
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 03:49:00 AM »

Excellent choice on your first saber. Mine was a pair of those with Violet Amethyst blades

Thanks, it was that or the Dark Apprentice for me, they're both similar and the ones that really caught my eye among the less expensive models. I bet they look nice with the purple blades!

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 03:50:41 AM »

It's the ultraedge blade that makes your saber that color.  With a standard blade, it's much more vibrant orange.  Something about orange and red and the ultraedge blades makes the color look washed out.

Ross357
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 03:56:15 AM »

Pictures!  Cheesy

A latching clicky switch has one job - provide power to the LED.

A momentary switch (illuminated AV) has more than one job besides powering on/off the LED - it also turns on the speaker, enables flash on clash effect, changes sound fonts ect.  These actions requires multiple presses without having to turn the saber off, enabling function on the fly.

So if you have a stunt only saber, the latching clicky switch is all you need - the latching AV was new beginning of last year (earlier?) which was a big step up from the guarded switch ... which was the only one available for years on stunt sabers.

Hope that makes sense Smiley  

I originally had a pic posted but I thought it was too big so I deleted it. I couldn't find any info on resizing it...

Thanks for the info on the switches. The clicky bit is just a feel thing for me.

I would still love to know why US doesn't offer the illuminated switches on stunt sabers, feels like a no-brainer to me but this isn't the thread for that...

And now I remember how to do multiple quotes in one post  Grin, it been ages since I was on a forum!

Ross357
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 03:57:37 AM »

It's the ultraedge blade that makes your saber that color.  With a standard blade, it's much more vibrant orange.  Something about orange and red and the ultraedge blades makes the color look washed out.

Thanks! I wondered if that was the case. I may buy a standard midgrade and compare.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 03:59:02 AM »

Thanks! I wondered if that was the case. I may buy a standard midgrade and compare.

Yeah, I've tried Fire Orange with both, it definitely looks better with the standard blades.  Green, blue, even violet and yellow all do great with the ultraedge.  (my opinion, of course)

Ross357
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 03:40:31 PM »

Here's a pic that Hazard502 requested. I hope it's not too large...

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 08:45:53 PM »

Thanks for the picture!  Lookin real good Cool

For some reason most pics show up a bit large on the forums, you'd need to resize them on a photo sharing site before posting if you want them to show smaller.  It's a pain in the butt sometimes.

A quick personal note on blades - I find that a regular midgrade shows off all colors well, while the UE blade makes do with a lesser variety.  Worth having both types in the house to find that right balance. 

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 09:20:24 PM »

Here's a pic that Hazard502 requested. I hope it's not too large...

Beautiful looking saber Ross!  I especially like the emitter windows  Smiley
A quick personal note on blades - I find that a regular midgrade shows off all colors well, while the UE blade makes do with a lesser variety.  Worth having both types in the house to find that right balance. 

I agree with Has; the midgrade seem do particularly well across the color spectrum.  Plus having both types can be beneficial  Wink

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

MavRick
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 600

May the force be with you! (give light side )

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 09:29:37 PM »

HAZ is correct. You just need a standard mid-grade blade to get rid of the creamsicile look. This is why I prefer the standard blades. MTFBWY!

Sabers I own:                                           
 Graflex Tri-cree AB w/sd & bronze buttons
 Consular CG w/sd an silver foc
 Archon CG w/sd an silver foc
 Prophecy CG w/sd an silver foc
 Dorinian SRD w/lite sd and AB foc
 Guardian in GB
 Aeon V3 in GB
 Dark Standard Issue BR w/vert grooves
 Dark Apprentice AB (Freebee!)
 Sentinel LE V4 w/windows in SY
 Dark Sentinel LE V5 in AB (raffle prize)
 Initiate LE V4 in GB
 Franken saber in VA
Wish list: Dark Prophecy BR w/sd, dark cat pommel; Azure Dorinian AB; Dominix LE V2 in BR gift for a friend

Ross357
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2017, 11:29:23 PM »

I may have to break down and buy a standard midgrade... I do want to see if I can do anything with the colored film cells I ordered first though.

The emitter windows were a selling point for me Grin. It was this or the Dark Apprentice LE v4, I thought the Initiate had the better widows!

I actually cropped that down in Photobucket before I posted it. I wonder if it's because I used my phone for the pic??

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: