Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Z-Saber Scratch Build  (Read 3432 times)
Kouri
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 328

Artisan

« on: May 22, 2017, 12:19:58 PM »

About to visit family and had promised the littlest one a Vader hilt - but she's got siblings, so that means everyone needs to be armed. Brothers are big into Mega Man, so whipped up a couple of beam sabers. I'll be writing up the Z-Saber construction.

Putting to use an old Arctic Blue LED and UltraEdge midgrade blade - everything else is custom electronics, hardware, machined, or 3D-printed.

As usual with my budget builds, everything starts with a shop drawiing to figure out what lengths of pipe I'll need and dimensions of machined/printed parts.

With the Z-Saber a very short one-handed hilt, this build would be tight. I didn't want to use a smaller battery because:

1) It wouldn't be fair for one saber to die much earlier than the rest

2) I didn't want to mix chargers - the other two hilts are using 1000mA chargers, which would be a bit much for a 14500 cell - and I don't trust the kids to not mix up their chargers.

Thankfully, there was *just* enough space for all the electronics, so long as I went with a smaller speaker and a pommel-mounted charge port - which meant designing a custom pommel.

4" length of 1" thinwall polycarbonate tubing for the chassis, 20mm speaker leaves room for charge wires, 1" x 1" rebuilt BladeBuilder board, 18650 battery, with switch and LED wires running out the front. Chassis secures to the pommel, and the whole assembly slides into the hilt to be secured with screws and/or glue. I'd wind up re-using the design (with alternate pommels) for the Sigma beam sword and Vader lightsaber since Vader wound up with a similiar space limitation, and there wasn't time to design  a new setup for Sigma.

Not quite the quality I'd want in my portfolio, but the kids should have fun:

And a group shot of all the in-progress hilts:

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 02:18:30 PM »

That's really cool, dude.  They look like fun sabers for the kids to enjoy.  Smiley

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 09:50:16 PM »

Impressive Kouri!  I like what you have done^^  Reminds me of the CAD program that I used in school (heh although I haven't done drafting in years  Wink).  Keep up the great work  Smiley

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 02:45:38 AM »

Definitely some nice and compact work there. WELL beyond my meager wiring skills

Kouri
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 328

Artisan

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 11:36:20 AM »

Thanks, guys!

Also tinkered last night before packing these up. Realized the sound vents were too small and muffing the already-quiet 20mm speakers, so I went about re-drilling the holes wider.

Sigma and Vader turned out fine.

Zero, on the other hand...

So I needed an emergency speaker replacement. Turns out super glue does an excellent job of bonding PETG to Polycarbonate, so there was no removing the pommel to access the speaker. Wound up cutting a new spot in the polycarb chassis, underneath the soundboard, to pull out the original speaker and mount a replacement.

Works pretty well, actually, and thinking I might refine the setup for future builds, since it leaves me extra space to tuck away wires.

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 01:24:17 AM »

Nice fix there

Corwyn VonBeck
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -340

Grey Knight

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 02:14:09 AM »

Wow!, those are some neat little sabers! Nice work man!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: