Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Prophecy V3 diamond ordered !  (Read 2177 times)
kooky
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 4

« on: May 24, 2017, 04:53:40 PM »

Finally, after about 1 month of checking reviews, pouring over pictures and staying awake at night trying to decide. i have finally ordered a silver prophecy v3 with the diamond board .Cannot wait for it to arrive and being a landscape photographer , i am looking forward to sharing my shots with this forum . Got it in consular green with sunriders destiny foc as my initial startup . Thanks everyone for the help and advice

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 05:04:17 PM »

Sweet!  Congratulations on the purchase.  I'm sure you won't be disappointed, that seems like a great setup.  Smiley

kooky
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 05:49:02 PM »

Sweet!  Congratulations on the purchase.  I'm sure you won't be disappointed, that seems like a great setup.  Smiley

yep always wanted a lightsaber since i was like 7 years old so I'm totally buzzing !  Cheesy

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 06:56:57 PM »

yep always wanted a lightsaber since i was like 7 years old so I'm totally buzzing !  Cheesy

I know the feeling.  Though, it took me until I was 37 to get to where I could start buying Ultra Sabers.

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2027

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 07:10:06 PM »

Nice. I'm still imagining a silver Prophecy with a silver War Glaive pommel, would look sick I think ;o

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG,
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

kooky
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 07:52:09 PM »

I know the feeling.  Though, it took me until I was 37 to get to where I could start buying Ultra Sabers.

Haha yeah I'm 33 so not too far behind Cheesy

kooky
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 07:52:48 PM »

Nice. I'm still imagining a silver Prophecy with a silver War Glaive pommel, would look sick I think ;o

oh yeah that would be nice id say . might go for a different pommel at some stage if i get the urge

Felinus
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 7

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 09:06:27 PM »

Finally, after about 1 month of checking reviews, pouring over pictures and staying awake at night trying to decide. i have finally ordered a silver prophecy v3 with the diamond board .Cannot wait for it to arrive and being a landscape photographer , i am looking forward to sharing my shots with this forum . Got it in consular green with sunriders destiny foc as my initial startup . Thanks everyone for the help and advice

As a photographer myself, just a few thoughts on that. The saber is at a continuous brightness, and it's going to look best when balanced just right against the ambient light. From what I've seen so far, that's about 15 minutes after sunset in an open area (or before sunrise, of course). So, if you're in the woods, it'll be a bit earlier.  I jokingly call this "the Jedi hour", and it's the only time I bother igniting the saber outside.

Before that time, it's too bright outside, and the saber won't "pop" as much - it'll look more like a colored stick.

After that time, it's too dark... you'll be dealing with longer shutter speeds, and the saber will burn out into a blob. Though, you could create a font that reduces the brightness to give you a bit more leeway - essentially dimming the saber as it gets darker outside.  I haven't done this yet, but plan to. I've found that when it's very dark outside, and you're wielding a saber at full brightness, it's virtually blinding to look at!

Frankly, same thing goes for videography... I see a lot of videos shot with inappropriate ambient light (and I'm sitting here face-palming). If you're going to put all that effort into making a video, shoot it with the right light! You really only have about a 15-minute window on most days. Ambient light changes more than you might think (our eyes don't perceive this as much as a camera will), and a 1-stop difference either way is going to make a big difference in the results.

After playing with my saber for a month or so, I have a new perspective on what an "actual" saber might be like. The ones you see in the movies are kind of impossible - glowing equally during the day or at night. Unless the saber is sensing the ambient light & changing the light output to compensate, what you see on-screen isn't possible. I'll bet this has been the subject of many discussions among cinematographers for Star Wars movies!

Good luck with your saber - they're totally a blast!

kooky
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 10:48:35 PM »

As a photographer myself, just a few thoughts on that. The saber is at a continuous brightness, and it's going to look best when balanced just right against the ambient light. From what I've seen so far, that's about 15 minutes after sunset in an open area (or before sunrise, of course). So, if you're in the woods, it'll be a bit earlier.  I jokingly call this "the Jedi hour", and it's the only time I bother igniting the saber outside.

Before that time, it's too bright outside, and the saber won't "pop" as much - it'll look more like a colored stick.

After that time, it's too dark... you'll be dealing with longer shutter speeds, and the saber will burn out into a blob. Though, you could create a font that reduces the brightness to give you a bit more leeway - essentially dimming the saber as it gets darker outside.  I haven't done this yet, but plan to. I've found that when it's very dark outside, and you're wielding a saber at full brightness, it's virtually blinding to look at!

Frankly, same thing goes for videography... I see a lot of videos shot with inappropriate ambient light (and I'm sitting here face-palming). If you're going to put all that effort into making a video, shoot it with the right light! You really only have about a 15-minute window on most days. Ambient light changes more than you might think (our eyes don't perceive this as much as a camera will), and a 1-stop difference either way is going to make a big difference in the results.

Good luck with your saber - they're totally a blast!

eah i bought a blade builders kylo ren a few weeks back and even that is too bright in total darkness. Blue hour is the ideal time for shooting so that there will still be detail in the foreground and also in the saber.  I am also planning to incorporate the saber into my milky way photography so might end up taking tow different exposures and blending them in photoshop . thanks for the advice

Felinus
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 7

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 04:25:14 PM »

eah i bought a blade builders kylo ren a few weeks back and even that is too bright in total darkness. Blue hour is the ideal time for shooting so that there will still be detail in the foreground and also in the saber.  I am also planning to incorporate the saber into my milky way photography so might end up taking tow different exposures and blending them in photoshop . thanks for the advice

Well the great thing about the Diamond board is you can just create a very dim font for the darkness (I suppose you can do that with the Emerald too). You can also program the lockup to be a still dimmer blade (or different color) to switch it quickly & use fewer font spaces. Of course, you'll have to keep the saber still for whatever shutter speed you have.

Sure, you could just blend images in photoshop, but what's the fun in that? I could photoshop-in a saber to any image just as well (and for bright daylight, that's really the only option). I think it's almost always better to get the shot in one frame, if it's possible. Maybe it's just a silly purity thing, or maybe I just like the photography challenge. 

kooky
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 06:03:13 PM »

Well the great thing about the Diamond board is you can just create a very dim font for the darkness (I suppose you can do that with the Emerald too). You can also program the lockup to be a still dimmer blade (or different color) to switch it quickly & use fewer font spaces. Of course, you'll have to keep the saber still for whatever shutter speed you have.

Sure, you could just blend images in photoshop, but what's the fun in that? I could photoshop-in a saber to any image just as well (and for bright daylight, that's really the only option). I think it's almost always better to get the shot in one frame, if it's possible. Maybe it's just a silly purity thing, or maybe I just like the photography challenge. 

Thats cool , to be honest I rarely use Photoshop at all . Only when I have to. I never add anything to a shot that was not there . Blending two exposures is just a way of capturing the essence of the two exact same shots and using both for a perfect exposure . Here is a link to some of my work if you want to check it out . Are you on Instagram or Facebook ?

https://1x.com/member/davidahernphotography

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: