Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Dunkirk Predictions and Nolan's IMDb Grade Point Average  (Read 1462 times)
SaberFan22
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 11

« on: May 27, 2017, 11:20:26 PM »

As many of you will be more than aware, Christopher Nolan has a rather impressive record not just in terms of his actual filmography, but also in terms of critic and fan reviews, as shown by his mammoth and frankly pretty much untouchable ratings on IMDb.

The reason for this post is that I'm doing an assignment for university and one section of it focuses on the ratings and scores of movies perceived by sites such as IMDb, Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic, and use these to predict the success of the upcoming Dunkirk. (Though for this I would like to stick to IMDb.)

Here is a list of scores of every film he has written and directed at a professional level:

Memento (2000) - 8.5
Batman Begins (2005) - 8.3
The Prestige (2006) - 8.5
The Dark Knight (2008) - 9.0
Inception (2010) - 8.8
The Dark Knight Rises (2012) - 8.5
Interstellar (2014) - 8.6

As you can see the man consistently receives scores of between 8 and 9, the average being just above 8.6 I believe.

It would be silly to assume he will match the bohemoth score of The Dark Knight, as only 3 movies in the history of cinema have ever managed a higher score (The Shawshank Redeption - 9.3, The Godfather - 9.2 and The Godfather Part II - 9.0.), however based on the trailers for Dunkirk, and based on the very fact it's a World War II epic, not to mention the stellar Oscar-worthy cast and everything else we've heard and seen about this movie so far, it would also be silly to assume it will be his lowest rated written-directed professional feature yet. So currently we're sitting somewhere between an 8.4 and 8.9, though I think we can rule out another 8.8 not to mention 8.9.

In my opinion, then, I would suggest that the highest grade Dunkirk can realistically get, would be that of an 8.7 (which would make it the highest-rated movie to come out since Inception), and the lowest it should really be getting when compared to the rest of his filmography on paper is 8.4.

Do you guys think this is an accurate score prediction? Do you think it will be better than Inception? Maybe you think it will be a flop and fail to meet expectations? Or maybe you just think this is all a bit daft and my time could be better spent leaving my work out of this thread.

Having said that, I'd like to know your opinions and expectations for the film as a fan of Nolan and war movies in general. It's personally my most anticipated movie of the year just because I believe it has the potential to be the best movie not only of the year but of the last few years, however I'm scared that it may not live up to its potential.

Please let me know what you think!

Shock LE in Violet Amethyst
Dark War Glaive in Pyrestone Orange

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 12:18:19 AM »

All I know is that when I went to see Rogue One (at least I think it was, regardless it was an IMAX showing) they had like a 6-8 minute clip from the film run before it, and it was spectacular to say the least.

I'm quite curious to see how close your prediction actually is.  Smiley

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

SaberFan22
Knight Officer

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 12:36:21 PM »

Wow really? That's amazing! And good to hear it was so great! I remember getting to see the opening scene of The Dark Knight at the IMAX showing of I Am Legend and I left the cinema so pumped but also wishing I hadn't seen it as I couldn't wait till the movie came out to see the rest! Man 21 July until we can see Dunkirk seems like too long haha! I heard the movie doesn't have much dialogue, did you find that to be true in the segment that you saw?

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 01:54:41 PM »

Wow really? That's amazing! And good to hear it was so great! I remember getting to see the opening scene of The Dark Knight at the IMAX showing of I Am Legend and I left the cinema so pumped but also wishing I hadn't seen it as I couldn't wait till the movie came out to see the rest! Man 21 July until we can see Dunkirk seems like too long haha! I heard the movie doesn't have much dialogue, did you find that to be true in the segment that you saw?

You know, I hadn't thought about it until you mentioned it, but yeah, there wasn't that much dialogue.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

SaberFan22
Knight Officer

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 09:34:43 PM »

Yeah this is just one of a few articles about the decision: http://www.thewrap.com/christopher-nolan-dunkirk-little-dialogue/

There is speculation that his reason for doing this is due to the fact he's been attacked by critics who say he can't write good dialogue, but I doubt it's that. He's not the sort of film maker to make something simply because it cater's to someone's wants or expectations. If anything you'd think that'd encourage him to get better at writing dialogue, not write less of it. Plus, it being a suspense film, the use of sound other than dialogue can be more effective anyway.

Casper96
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 10:42:06 PM »

I don't personally find Nolan movies to be that rewatchable myself (with the exception of the Dark Knight trilogy and maybe Inception), but nonetheless have to admire his consistency. It's also good to see him taking on a new genre, I just hope it can meet/exceed expectations! I've read about him buying millions of dollars' worth of planes just to crash them rather than use CG which is dedication!

In terms of IMDB ratings you'd expect it to do better than Hacksaw Ridge (I loved it, but a Nolan movie is likely going to be even better) and that got 8.2, so... Maybe 8.3 or 8.4? Can't see it getting as high as 8.7, but then again if anyone can do it he can.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: