Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: WONDER WOMAN: NON-SPOILER REVIEW  (Read 3260 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« on: June 01, 2017, 10:48:00 PM »

PLEASE NOTE - THE FOLLOWING IS A SPOILER FREE REVIEW. I WILL NOT REVEAL ANY MAJOR PLOT POINTS FROM THE MOVIE.

It is no secret that Warner Bros attempts at creating their own cinematic universe to rival the MCU has been less than stellar. So far, the DCEU movie releases have received mixed reviews from fans and critics; they have their defenders but on the whole they have not been the runaway smash hits the studio (and public) expected. Despite Man of Steel, Batman vs Superman and Suicide Squad being incredibly divisive,  WB are forging ahead with their movie universe regardless, mainly because the comic book movie genre generates so much money at the box office these days (and DC arguably have some of the best heroes and villains at their disposal).

In an effort to expand their universe (and beat Marvel to the punch) WB have decided to make the first big budget superhero movie featuring a female lead character. It is also the first time a female director has been given a budget of over $100 million. There have been many attempts at making female led superhero movies in the past (Supergirl, Catwoman, Elektra etc). Unfortunately, all those previous movies sucked and have been used as a smokescreen from stuffy, overbearing Hollywood executives every since as "reasons" why female led superhero movies don't work (however, on further examination there have been a plethora of male led superheroes movies made that flopped at the box office before we entered this golden age of comic book movie but that didn't stop studio execs continuing to make male-led superhero movies. But that is conversation for another time and place).

All the signs for this movie being a success are there: Gal Gadot's portrayal in BvS was one of the few praise worthy things in that movie. The trailers have looked great (as is the case with all DC movie trailers) and the film has assembled a great cast. And let us not forget that the director Patty Jenkins directed Charlize Theron to Oscar success in Monster.

But, let us not be remiss; this movie has a lot riding on it's super-powered shoulders…It needs to be a critical as well as financial hit for WB, repairing the damage done by Batman vs Superman. It also needs to show the "traditional Hollywood elite" who make movies something that movie goers have known for years: that female led movies can be equally as good (or better) than movies featuring male leads. And finally it needs to be, dare I say it, fun.

So, is this movie another underwhelming misstep for WB or do they finally have a good superhero movie in their franchise?

The story/plot
Set in World War 1, Princess Diana of Themyscria ventures into the world of men and is drawn into the conflict after rescuing fighter pilot Steve Trevor from drowning when his plane crashes off the coast of the island paradise.

Overall opinion
In 1978, Christopher Reeve donned the red cape for the first big screen debut of Superman and forever inspired generations of cinema-goers, comic book readers, fans and filmmakers. That movie was so successful that Christopher Reeve is still considered, by many people, to be the benchmark by which all other Superman portrayals are measured. The movie gave us the heart, humour, compassion for mankind and heroism that the character was known for. Why do I bring this up? Because Patty Jenkins, the director of Wonder Woman, has stated that she wanted her Wonder Woman movie to be as inspirational/game-changing/revered as the 1978 Superman is; she wants generations of girls to see this movie and be as moved as boys were when they saw the Christopher Reeve on screen.

As mentioned before, this movie had a lot riding on it's shoulders, not just trying to get the DCEU back-on-track but prove that a female led superhero movie can be great and successful, both critically and financially. I am pleased to say that this movie is really, REALLY enjoyable. It works on all the levels you want from a comic book movie; Good story? Check. Good action? Check. Engaging characters? Check. Little bit of humour? Check. Some genuine badassery moments? Check. I can honestly say that this is the first DCEU movie that has great rewatchablility.

There are some people who will probably draw a lot of comparisons between this movie and Captain America: The First Avenger. And with good reason. They are both period piece origin movies set against a backdrop of war. However that is not a bad thing. By not being handcuffed with telling a story that is forced to fit in with pre-existing/upcoming movie, Wonder Woman has the freedom to really explore the origins of one of the world's oldest and greatest superheroes.

The movie has great acting talent involved who carry a lot of the heavy lifting in some scenes, relieving some of the burden from Gal Gadot, but never overshadowing her. Gadot is (currently) not a fantastic actress, but neither is she horrible. However when put up against acting heavy weights like Danny Huston and David Thelwis or seasoned professionals like Chris Pine, occasionally her limitations are almost exposed. However, Patty Jenkns knows how to much her lead shine and never look out of her depth. In fact, Diana's naivety at the "world of man" is entirely justified and understandable and plays well in throughout (much like Dave Bautista in Guardians of the Galaxy).

Overall, this movie is by far the best DC movie they have released so far and the current high score (at time of writing) on Rotten Tomatoes is entirely justified.

The Performances
Gal Gadot - Wonder Woman
Many people complained when she was first cast as WW in BvS (in the same way that fans complained about many other superhero casting news that has happened over the years). However, she was a standout in BvS and here she portrays Diana with enough amount of naivety, sweetness, charm and badassery to thoroughly embody and own the role. She is entirely convincing in the action scenes and has surprisingly good comic timing.

Chris Pine - Steve Trevor
He was great as Kirk in Abrams' Star Trek, he was excellent in last years Hell or Highwater and here Pine proves his acting chops once more. Great comic timing when needed, fantastic chemistry with Gadot and thoroughly believable as Steve Trevor, although once or twice I did think he want a little "Kirk" and "Steve Rogers", but only for the briefest of moments.

Connie Nielsen - Queen Hippolyta
Suitably strong and regal as the ruler of paradise island and mother of Diana. A little underused, but understandably so due to the pacing of the film.

Robin Wright - General Antiope
As with Connie Nielsen, a good performance for her limited screen time.

Danny Huston - General Erich Ludendorff
The latest of a long line of great actors to portray "evil high ranking German soldier guy". Not bad, but not memorable either. But it's hard to do something new or different in such a role.

David Thelwis - Sir Patrick
He is one of the most reliable character actors in the industry and here he gives a very dignified understated performance very similar to the one he gave in Harry Potter.

Elena Anaya - Doctor Maru/Doctor Poison
Suitably creepy and mysterious. Did a lot with the screen time she was given.

Lucy Davis - Etta Candy
We already knew she had great comedic timing and Lucy Davis once again gives a reliable performance in a small supporting role.

OTHER STUFF
The action -
Some of the best set-pieces I have seen in a DC movie yet. The standout would definitely have to be the no man's land sequence, closely followed by the Amazons vs soldiers on the beach. Not once did it stray into 300 territory, which it could have done easily as Zack Synder collaborated on the actions scenes. A couple of times slo-mo was used unnecessarily, but on the whole, great action. Final fight was not bad, but could have been better.

The effects -
As good as we have come to expect from big budget superhero movies these days.

Music -
The excellent Wonder Woman score (which is a cello, not a guitar as many people would believe) is surprisingly absent from the movie. It is not missed, but when it finally is heard you wished it had been used earlier.

Post Credit scenes -
There is no post credit scene.

Final verdict
Warner Bros have finally given us a great DC movie! We also finally have a great female-led superhero movie. Is it perfect? No. But it is hugely enjoyable. Gal Gadot totally owns the role; she simply IS Wonder Woman and I am looking forward to seeing her again in future DC movies, whether that is Justice League, her own sequel or even popping into other heroes movies (if WB can get their shell together and get other movies actually into production).

Score - 7.8/10

My Movie rating system
10- Citizen "F*%king" Kane (A+)
9- Bloody Great (A)
8- Really rather good (A-)
7- Pretty decent (B+)
6- Definitely above average (B)
5- Middle of the road average (C)
4- Mediocre (D)
3- Meh (E)
2- Crap (F)
1- Why the hell did I waste my my time and money of this abomination (unrated)

« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 11:48:35 PM by Darth Knox » Logged

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 11:42:58 PM »

Haven't seen it yet.

Will see it tomorrow evening.

I am happy that my unwavering support of Gal Gadot's casting since the first announcement has seemingly been justified.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 02:27:56 AM »

Personally I hate to hear this may actually be a film people see...since I was hoping it would nail the coffin shut and WB would finally consider a reboot.  Really makes me sad.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

The Mad Professor

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 11:43:55 AM »

Okay, I went to see it last night, and here's my own, not-quite-as-thorough-as-Darth-Knox, spoiler-free review.

If I only had one thing to say about this movie:

Every person in the world who complained about Gal Gadot being cast as Wonder Woman (I was a staunch supporter of it from the moment they announced it) needs to go see this movie ASAP. While BvS let us in on a little preview of her ability to play the role, this movie will sit you down, tie your asses up with the Lasso of Hestia, and MAKE you a believer.

I can only recall the tagline from Superman: The Movie that said "You will believe a man can fly." Well, folks, Wonder Woman brings that same sense of wonder (pun entirely intended) to the screen.

While Man of Steel was a complete waste of celluloid and Batman v Superman had unrealized potential, Wonder Woman knocks it clean out of the park. It had amazing action, wonderful acting all around, and good cinematography.

While there were a few issues with a few dodgy bits of CGI and the third act starting a bit wonkily, the movie overall was utterly fantastic. I went in with somewhat high expectations, and the movie exceeded them.

Solid 9/10

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 338

Fretful Instigator of the Prismatic Order

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 07:36:10 PM »

While Man of Steel was a complete waste of celluloid and Batman v Superman had unrealized potential, Wonder Woman knocks it clean out of the park. It had amazing action, wonderful acting all around, and good cinematography.

Seconded. It had the core that was hollow in MoS's writing and more focus than BvS's storytelling.

While there were a few issues with a few dodgy bits of CGI and the third act starting a bit wonkily, the movie overall was utterly fantastic. I went in with somewhat high expectations, and the movie exceeded them.

At one point, I  thought...confetti snow?!?

Lots of little girls in the theater. I'm not sure all of the film would be appropriate for their ages. But a worthy heroine story.

Selfish passion is unquenching.
What strength have you when you are a slave to your passions?
What power without strength of character?
To self centered rage, you will be chained.
The dark side is no victory.

The long path to peace is through balanced emotions.
The first step to gaining knowledge is recognizing your own ignorance.
Serenity is patient, not passionate satisfaction.
Find harmony by understanding chaos.
Become one with the force, which will never die.

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 10:06:19 PM »

I enjoyed it a lot, and the only thing I didn't like, was that it felt too safe. Other than that, top marks. My wife's only gripe was that there was no Superman.  Cheesy

Overall, I still prefer BvS to any of the other DCEU films, but I can't wait to add this one to my collection.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 10:16:45 PM »

I won't give anything away, but I didn't love the ending.  Over all I think it was very good.

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 473

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 04:04:33 AM »

I won't be seeing it for a while, but I am happy it's getting such positive reviews. It's actually doing better on Rotten Tomatoes than any of the MCU movies, which is mind-boggling. Well, except for the first Iron Man, that is. But it's close.

Aquaman is still the movie I'm looking forward to the most, however. James Wan directing? All my yes. And that cast is too good for words. I do have massive issues with the writer, however, as he's just... ugh. But cinema is far from a writer's medium, so it'll probably be script-doctored and edited by James several times over during production. These things happen all the time, but go uncredited because they're small touch-ups here and there.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 10:44:53 AM »

I have just done a quick search and since 2000 there have been 63 male-led comic book movies released (movies actually based on a comic book, not inspired by the genre). In that same time, including Wonder Woman, there have been TWO female-led comic book movies.

I am so glad that this movie is doing so well with critics and fans, is having great box office right now and has helped DC get their universe back on track. Hopefully studios will start green lighting more of the awesome female characters in comicdom, hire talented directors who know and respect the source material and give the directors all the tools they need to make a good movie.

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

The Mad Professor

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 12:31:16 PM »

I would say that this movie has been successful.

$149m budget, $223m opening weekend.

Well done, Patty Jenkins!

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2017, 01:00:15 AM »

My curiosity got the best of me and I watched it....and my opinion is......... its ok.   After the rage inducing Man of Steel, the eye rolling of BvS and Suicide Squad I can agree with the masses that this is indeed the best of the DCEU...but that bar is indeed very low.  It did feel like a bit more effort went into this than the others.  While I am still of the opinion there had to be better candidates for WW than Gal Gadot, I did enjoy her naivete and excitement at seeing the world and trying new things.  Chris Pine, as usual, was enjoyable to watch and I actually found myself  during the Lasso of Truth scene, where he tells of the events which lead him there,  wishing rather to see a WWI spy film with Pine in it devoid of Superheroes.  There a couple of more things I did like that my be giving too much away so I will refrain from those.  One of my main gripes was the action, I would have actually liked to seen less special effects flips and more down and dirty fighting...but again  thats me.     So, didn't love it..but didn't hate it either...this one I might be willing to give a second watch eventually.    But, again in my opinion. if you want to see what a WW film should be...watch the Animated film made a few years ago.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2017, 07:26:15 AM »

So I just got back from watching this, and while I haven't read all the comments in this thread, I feel like the general consensus was that it was okay, but not great. I however, absolutely loved it. While my rating scale is different that Knox's, on a scale from 1 to 10 with 10 being the highest, as of right now it has a firm 11. Everything about it was great IMO. I have a ton of feelings about this movie, all of them good. Definitely the best of the DCEU, and one I will most definitely be adding to my collection.

One of my main gripes was the action, I would have actually liked to seen less special effects flips and more down and dirty fighting...but again  thats me.  

While I respect your opinion, I have to disagree. That was one of the many things I loved about this movie. True, that is probably my favorite fighting style ever, but not only that, it also fit her character and portrayal incredibly.

From what I've seen and heard of you, you seem to be more of the Viking kind of person. I have a friend who is much the same, and while I like the vikings as well, and their way of fighting, I really like the agility style more.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2017, 01:13:21 PM »

While I respect your opinion, I have to disagree. That was one of the many things I loved about this movie. True, that is probably my favorite fighting style ever, but not only that, it also fit her character and portrayal incredibly.

From what I've seen and heard of you, you seem to be more of the Viking kind of person. I have a friend who is much the same, and while I like the vikings as well, and their way of fighting, I really like the agility style more.

It's not really a "viking" thing....   After the Matrix and the rise of popularity of "Wuxia" films (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) the over use of "Agility" fighting became the norm.  Of course this isn't how people fight...warriors were not on the battlefield flipping and soaring through the air.  Now of course when you bring superpowers into the mix it does give some leeway, but it still becomes an over used crutch.  Think back to Episode III, Anakin and Obi-Wan stand 2 feet from each other twirling their lightsabers...  what happens is the Choreography becomes less about the fight and more about the flash.  It's why the John Wick films were praised because of their realistic Choreography and non use of the "shaky Cam".  My dislike of the fighting in this film is more my feelings on the Action in films as a whole  rather than  solely focused on WW except in the vein that from my Experience, as a fan of WW from the comics, she is a pretty straight forward fighter, utilizing the "agility" fighting style very little if at all.  Quick Example, in this fight she is lightfooted and agile but not to the point it becomes about the agility and less about the fighting.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPlSdns_n1E" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPlSdns_n1E</a>

... as stated this is all opinion and I'm glad you enjoyed the film so much.  I've somewhat made my peace with the fact the DC films were not made with people like me in mind.

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 338

Fretful Instigator of the Prismatic Order

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2017, 08:54:04 PM »

...  what happens is the Choreography becomes less about the fight and more about the flash.  It's why the John Wick films were praised because of their realistic Choreography and non use of the "shaky Cam".

YES!!!

Selfish passion is unquenching.
What strength have you when you are a slave to your passions?
What power without strength of character?
To self centered rage, you will be chained.
The dark side is no victory.

The long path to peace is through balanced emotions.
The first step to gaining knowledge is recognizing your own ignorance.
Serenity is patient, not passionate satisfaction.
Find harmony by understanding chaos.
Become one with the force, which will never die.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: