Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Top 11 Favourite War Films of All Time  (Read 4225 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« on: June 17, 2017, 10:51:44 AM »

In honour of Nolan's new movie Dunkirk that is coming out this summer, I thought I should resurrect our favourite movie game, and look at war films.

Rules of the game:
- You are only allowed to pick 11 war movies (that's 10 with a bonus pick)
- Only THREE Honourable mentions are allowed
- Your choices DO NOT have to be in order of favourites
- All choices must feature wars that happened on earth (so no Star Wars or other sci-fi movies)

Please remember - That all opinions on war movies are subjective. There are no wrong or right answers for the war movies you love, so no putting down other peoples picks if they choose someone you disagree with.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 10:55:07 AM »

From John Wayne classics to modern depictions from directors like Spielberg, war movies have been a staple in Hollywood for generations.  Here are my choices for the top 11 best movies in this genre.

My picks:

1- Platoon - One of Oliver Stone's best movies and, arguably, the best Vietnam war movie ever.

2- Full Metal Jacket - Most memorable for the part that focuses of the soldier training it is just as captivating to watch now as always.

3- Ice Cold in Alex - An amazing black and white classic that will make your thirsty from just watching it, with an iconic bar scene towards the end.

4- Saving Private Ryan - There is a lot more to love about this movie than just the opening beach scene.

5- Good Morning Vietnam - This was the movie when I first realised what a talented actor Robin Williams was. He effortlessly walk the line between the hilarious comic scenes when he was on the radio and the real dramatic scenes. (RIP Robin. You are still missed).

6- The Great Escape - One of the greatest ensemble casts ever. Plus Steve McQueen on a motorcycle. And a (very) young Duckie from NCIS!

7- Inglorious Basterds - In my opinion this is Tarantino's magnum opus. Great performances, masterfully suspenseful, unexpectedly funny with Tarantino's trademark witty banter and hyper-violence.

8- Glory - A regiment of black soldiers in the American Civil War - check. Oscar winning performance from Denzel Washington - check. Morgan Freeman doing what Morgan Freeman does - check.

9- Schindler's List - This movie is made even greater when you realise Spielberg directed and released both this and Jurassic Park in the same year!

10- Lawrence of Arabia - It's a classic for a reason and is stunning to look at. The movie cinemascope was invented for (hyperbole before anyone starts spouting off dates and facts).

11- Dr Strangelove - Some of the finest comedy work in Peter Sellers' illustrious career.

Honourable mentions:
The Deer Hunter, Apocalypse Now, American Sniper

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 06:19:18 PM »

- All choices must feature wars that happened on earth (so no Star Wars or other sci-fi movies)

Just checking, but this means no Captain America or Wonder Woman? I don't know that I have actually watched a total of 14 war movies yet. I keep meaning to, but I haven't gotten to them yet.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 07:55:45 PM »

Just checking, but this means no Captain America or Wonder Woman? I don't know that I have actually watched a total of 14 war movies yet. I keep meaning to, but I haven't gotten to them yet.
Correct. Those are superhero movies that take place during a war, so are ineligible.

Darth Calon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -480

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 08:29:02 PM »

I haven't seen a single movie on your list Knox. Also in the same boat as Taegin.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 09:40:18 PM »

I haven't seen a single movie on your list Knox. Also in the same boat as Taegin.

At this point, I shouldn't be surprised anymore....

1.) To Hell and Back
2.) Sgt. York
3.) The Great Escape
4.) Kelly's Heroes
5.) The Dirty Dozen
6.) Inglorious Bastards
7.) We Were Soldiers
8.) The Patriot
9.) The Longest Day
10.) Saving Private Ryan
11.) All Quiet on the Western Front

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 01:07:05 AM »

Correct. Those are superhero movies that take place during a war, so are ineligible.

Figured.

I have seen a couple, and heard of most of the rest. Out of the two lists posted so far, I've watched The Great Escape, and Sgt. York. I need to watch Saving Private Ryan, and Schindler's List soon, but I highly recommend The Great Escape and Sgt. York. Two of my favorite movies.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 02:44:30 PM »

In honour of Nolan's new movie Dunkirk that is coming out this summer, I thought I should resurrect our favourite movie game, and look at war films.

Rules of the game:
- You are only allowed to pick 11 war movies (that's 10 with a bonus pick)
- Only THREE Honourable mentions are allowed
- Your choices DO NOT have to be in order of favourites

Please remember - That all opinions on war movies are subjective. There are no wrong or right answers for the war movies you love, so no putting down other peoples picks if they choose someone you disagree with.

a) Your rules say "feature". By that definition Cap and WW technically do feature the great wars as central to their plots.
b) by that same logic of exclusion, I think Schindler's list wouldn't necessarily be a war movie. It was about a separate atrocity taking place during WWII.
c) Does the Cold War count?

Please clarify.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 06:13:05 PM »

a) Your rules say "feature". By that definition Cap and WW technically do feature the great wars as central to their plots.
b) by that same logic of exclusion, I think Schindler's list wouldn't necessarily be a war movie. It was about a separate atrocity taking place during WWII.
c) Does the Cold War count?

Please clarify.
Geez. There's always one who takes a simple premise and tries to over-complicate it. However, in an attempt to offer some clarity....

And, according to a wikipedia the definition is thus:

War film is a film genre concerned with warfare, typically about naval, air, or land battles, with combat scenes central to the drama. It has been strongly associated with the 20th century. The fateful nature of battle scenes means that war films often end with them. Themes explored include combat, survival and escape, sacrifice, the futility and inhumanity of battle, the effects of war on society, and the moral and human issues raised by war.

I hppe that helps.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 08:49:12 PM »

Geez. There's always one who takes a simple premise and tries to over-complicate it. However, in an attempt to offer some clarity....

And, according to a wikipedia the definition is thus:

War film is a film genre concerned with warfare, typically about naval, air, or land battles, with combat scenes central to the drama. It has been strongly associated with the 20th century. The fateful nature of battle scenes means that war films often end with them. Themes explored include combat, survival and escape, sacrifice, the futility and inhumanity of battle, the effects of war on society, and the moral and human issues raised by war.

I hppe that helps.
Knox, I wouldn't give you $#!% if I didn't luv ya. Yes this helps a little.

1.) Fly Boys
2.) U-571
3.) The Hunt for Red October
4.) Fury
5.) Sgt. York
6.) The Patriot
7.) Kelly's Heroes
8.) Saving Private Ryan (not really a favorite, but a must see for all generations)
9.) The Last Samurai
10.) Glory (again not a favorite, but great)
11.) Top Gun

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 01:01:55 AM »

Knox, I wouldn't give you $#!% if I didn't luv ya. Yes this helps a little.

1.) Fly Boys
2.) U-571
4.) Fury
5.) Sgt. York
6.) The Patriot
7.) Kelly's Heroes
8.) Saving Private Ryan (not really a favorite, but a must see for all generations)
9.) The Last Samurai
10.) Glory (again not a favorite, but great)
11.) Top Gun

I almost put the Last Samurai as it is a favorite of mine... but it doesn't click as a war movie in my head (even though I know technically it is)

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2017, 01:40:15 AM »

1.) Fly Boys

Another great one that I have watched. Redtails is another one that would be on my list if I could think of 13.

Darth Calon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -480

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2017, 04:26:49 AM »

There's one I've seen. I remember thinking it was meh.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2017, 07:09:15 AM »

There's one I've seen. I remember thinking it was meh.

And here was me thinking, after not being on the forum for a while, that you would have grown out of "meh" anything you don't like. As a courtesy, I would advise you develop a larger vocabulary so you can articulate in a more descriptive way why you may not like something, as constantly using "meh" is a little immature and kinda disrespectful. It started off as a fun thing, but it's now become what you're known for.

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2017, 08:22:27 AM »

And here was me thinking, after not being on the forum for a while, that you would have grown out of "meh" anything you don't like. As a courtesy, I would advise you develop a larger vocabulary so you can articulate in a more descriptive way why you may not like something, as constantly using "meh" is a little immature and kinda disrespectful. It started off as a fun thing, but it's now become what you're known for.

Am seriously hoping that this is your attempt at making a back handed joke that went sour.  You have become known on the Forum as " I " and your inflated ego was fun for awhile... " but it's now become what you're known for ".

Why do you think that you need or have the right to criticize and tell Calon what is and is not grammatically word appropriate. For the record he likely learned the use of this meh expression from the member who " luv's ya " and whom he greatly admires and chooses to emulate.  Your response is not in any way a polite or caring courtesy but presents as more of an opinionated scolding.  Nor was any advice asked for by a really nice young teenager who also is a regular contributor to this Forum and was trying in his own way to support your post topic of discussion.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: