Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Grab bag saber.....thoughts on blade  (Read 3106 times)
brad81380
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 2

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2017, 07:56:30 PM »

Hi.  Be mindful of the actual cost once you add on the blade that doesn't come with the grab bag saber plus the cost of your LED color if customized.  Choosing a specific lower end saber might be slightly more cost effective and you can get exactly what you want.  The extra option of the non-illuminated av switch compared to the black guarded one is a worthwhile option.  Can't go wrong with the Aeon/Dominix and Sentinel lines in the v3 & 4 versions which also are MHS pommel swappable.  A grab bag blade is a more cost effective alternative as long as you don't care about possibly a few minor visual imperfections.  Get one of each mid-grade type ( MG/UE ).

My go to saber blade is the regular mid-grade blade with the MG silver foil versus the UE white film blade.  Some colors such as orange can look milky with the clear UE fuller illuminated blade.  The silver look is more attractive for displaying.  Once you make up your mind for a blade color, some members likely could post comparison photos of what the color looks like in either the MG and UE blades.  And don't forget to use the Search Function which will take you to a lot of photos of colors with different blades.

Regarding the hole for a covertec wheel... this is an extra cost option.  Depending upon the saber, you can decide where you want the hole to be placed, generally pommel end and usually at the 12/3/6/9 station on a clock.  Not many would request the covertec on the front side (12) of a saber.  Wheel with proper screw can be purchased at that time or later.

Choosing a saber rarely gets any easier... but it helps to weed out many options if you look at your budget, what you initially want to use the saber for and if there is a specific blade color that calls to you at this time.  Don't purchase a totally random grab bag if there is a blade color that you really don't like.  Sometimes getting a gb saber that you might not have originally considered turns out to be a pleasant surprise.  Smiley

I favor certain colors, but I am not overly picky about the color at this time.  My budget and time is tight, but I understand this will be a minimum $100 purchase, give or take, but definitely don't want to go over $150 for a first saber.  I know the minimum hilt I would get would run $65 normally, but there is a chance of getting something higher end as well, though not top tier.  I absolutely will need a covertec because I will have to carry it on me through the evening.  I am really looking at the grab bag as a beginner saber, though I was also looking at the Sentinel and Prophecy models straight out, but haven't really been able to decide if I would be better off with a straight out purchase yet.  Perhaps I should create a comparison spreadsheet to help me decide.

Dano
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 26

Light side points please!

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2017, 02:42:41 PM »

I favor certain colors, but I am not overly picky about the color at this time.  My budget and time is tight, but I understand this will be a minimum $100 purchase, give or take, but definitely don't want to go over $150 for a first saber.  I know the minimum hilt I would get would run $65 normally, but there is a chance of getting something higher end as well, though not top tier.  I absolutely will need a covertec because I will have to carry it on me through the evening.  I am really looking at the grab bag as a beginner saber, though I was also looking at the Sentinel and Prophecy models straight out, but haven't really been able to decide if I would be better off with a straight out purchase yet.  Perhaps I should create a comparison spreadsheet to help me decide.

If your budget is $100-$150 and therefore you would be probably purchasing a stunt saber even if you did a straight out purchase, I can vouch for the Sentinel V4. I got one as a grab bag about a month ago and couldn't be happier with it. It feels amazingly comfortable. I can't vouch for the Prophecy as mine has not arrived yet due to backordering, but I have heard great things about it. Both those purchases you would know you're getting something great, instead of just leaving it up to chance. Just a thought.

brad81380
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2017, 03:26:57 PM »

If your budget is $100-$150 and therefore you would be probably purchasing a stunt saber even if you did a straight out purchase, I can vouch for the Sentinel V4. I got one as a grab bag about a month ago and couldn't be happier with it. It feels amazingly comfortable. I can't vouch for the Prophecy as mine has not arrived yet due to backordering, but I have heard great things about it. Both those purchases you would know you're getting something great, instead of just leaving it up to chance. Just a thought.

I know it would be a stunt saber.  It is just for looks at the moment.  However, I think I am going to go ahead and order two sabers, with at least one being a grab bag.  It will help me determine things I like and things I don't, and also guarantee when I am having work done on one I will have a backup.

MavRick
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 600

May the force be with you! (give light side )

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2017, 12:42:39 AM »

Here is my 2 cents worth, get the blade when you order it, you will want to see it lit up.
 If you get a warm color like red,orange or yellow get a regular mid-grade blade cuz the ultra-edge blades will give them a creamsicle look.
Regular mid-grade blades also look better when your sabers are on display, IMO. 
If you are going to get more than one saber get one of each blade type to see for your self which one you like better.
Her is a pic of my Sentinel LE in SY with a regular mid-grade blade and one of my Prophecy in CG with an ultra-edge blade. Hope this helps.

Both pics during the day with lights on in the room. I love both of these sabers!  Grin  MYFBWY!!

Sabers I own:                                           
 Graflex Tri-cree AB w/sd & bronze buttons
 Consular CG w/sd an silver foc
 Archon CG w/sd an silver foc
 Prophecy CG w/sd an silver foc
 Dorinian SRD w/lite sd and AB foc
 Guardian in GB
 Aeon V3 in GB
 Dark Standard Issue BR w/vert grooves
 Dark Apprentice AB (Freebee!)
 Sentinel LE V4 w/windows in SY
 Dark Sentinel LE V5 in AB (raffle prize)
 Initiate LE V4 in GB
 Franken saber in VA
Wish list: Dark Prophecy BR w/sd, dark cat pommel; Azure Enigma AB; Exile CG w/sd; Dominix LE V2 in BR gift for a friend

brad81380
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2017, 02:10:21 AM »

Here is my 2 cents worth, get the blade when you order it, you will want to see it lit up.
 If you get a warm color like red,orange or yellow get a regular mid-grade blade cuz the ultra-edge blades will give them a creamsicle look.
Regular mid-grade blades also look better when your sabers are on display, IMO. 
If you are going to get more than one saber get one of each blade type to see for your self which one you like better.
Her is a pic of my Sentinel LE in SY with a regular mid-grade blade and one of my Prophecy in CG with an ultra-edge blade. Hope this helps.

Both pics during the day with lights on in the room. I love both of these sabers!  Grin  MYFBWY!!

I am, in fact, purchasing two but only one grab bag.  Looking at a few options for my other one.  Will be purchasing the one I select in Fire Orange, and getting the Grab Bag in Sunrider's Destiny.  Will get the standard midgrade on the FO and the Ultraedge Midgrade on the SD.  I plan to duel wield at some point, and my next one will be one I build myself, so am really looking to get a feel for different styles of hilts before I make my own.  I am skipping the covertec wheels in favor of a sort of holster(that I make myself) for the hilt....not canon really, but will work better for my purposes at this time.

brad81380
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2017, 03:58:49 AM »

Decided that my FO will be the Dark Standard Issue V3, with the Optional Vertical Grooves, and a Silver AV Switch.  Still debating on whether to buy another straight out or to buy a grab bag.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: