Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Anyone play piano?  (Read 3046 times)
James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« on: July 03, 2017, 11:42:38 AM »

We've been on a bit of a home improvement while recently at the Casey Casa, and one of the things we've accomplished is clearing our garage (Almost! Almost there!).

I won't say that we've unearthed our piano, because it takes a lot to bury one, but there's now actual space around it for people to move, put down chairs and things like that. As in, I could sit down and start playing. It's only been in there for 5 years or so, after all.

So, does anyone else play? Any good recommendations for online resources to help? I play guitar and bass and can sing, and quite fancy adding another string to my bow, and while I have long-term plans to learn drums and violin, it seems a shame to waste a piano Cheesy

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 08:26:54 PM »

I used to play. It's been a while, but both of my sisters play still. Now I just play the Violin (which is awesome), but I would love to learn Percussion and the Banjo. I don't have any good sources, because I always had private instructors. I'm sure YouTube has something though. It's a great instrument, and if done correctly, can sound amazing. One of my favorite Piano songs is All Of Me by the Piano Guys. Just so you know, the Violin is considered by most to be the hardest instrument to learn/play.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 09:11:15 PM »

I used to play. It's been a while, but both of my sisters play still. Now I just play the Violin (which is awesome), but I would love to learn Percussion and the Banjo. I don't have any good sources, because I always had private instructors. I'm sure YouTube has something though. It's a great instrument, and if done correctly, can sound amazing. One of my favorite Piano songs is All Of Me by the Piano Guys. Just so you know, the Violin is considered by most to be the hardest instrument to learn/play.

Wish I could play the violin.  Actually own one... gifted to me, but I'm a lefty ( bow in left hand ) so can't use it.  There are many " All of Me " songs but the Piano Guys are really talented and their name is misleading since so many more instruments are involved.  Their SW video is entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgAlQuqzl8o

I also wish I could play the piano so much better since I'm a singer but not professionally ( much ).  Had a keyboard but in an apartment I was always concerned about the volume.  Now my music is the sound from a dremel on saber lol.  Smiley

James... hope that you will really enjoy becoming acquainted with your piano again.  Sing alongs and other musical gatherings can be some of the best times... with a pint or two.   Wink

steadfastivory
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 8

“That's how I roll."

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 10:00:32 PM »

We've been on a bit of a home improvement while recently at the Casey Casa, and one of the things we've accomplished is clearing our garage (Almost! Almost there!).

I won't say that we've unearthed our piano, because it takes a lot to bury one, but there's now actual space around it for people to move, put down chairs and things like that. As in, I could sit down and start playing. It's only been in there for 5 years or so, after all.

An analogue Piano? With strings/springs? In a garage? Without temperature or humidity control? For 5 years?

I don't know which part of the world you live in, but where I come from, that's a recipe for a piano that's no longer anywhere near in-tune. I'm not saying you have to tune it, just that I'd want to see how far off it is before I played it too much.

I considered learning a few times, but never got very far.

I'd like to be a Jedi, if I have any choice in the matter.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 03:19:01 AM »

Wish I could play the violin.  Actually own one... gifted to me, but I'm a lefty ( bow in left hand ) so can't use it.  There are many " All of Me " songs but the Piano Guys are really talented and their name is misleading since so many more instruments are involved.  Their SW video is entertaining.

Actually, there are many left handed players. I don't know any personally, but I know they are there. Also, there are people who completely change their Violin around to make it so that they are using their left hand for the bow. My teacher knows at least one. As to the Piano Guys, it started out with just Piano, then they added the Cello in later, but never changed the name of the group. But for the most part, everything you hear is either Piano or Cello. The Cellist (Stephen) does a lot of percussion on his (many) Cellos, and even on the Piano some. They do occasionally use different drums, but that is not very often.

Also, fun fact. Stephen's daughter's middle name (or maybe first, but I'm pretty sure it is middle), is named after my sister.

Liked steadfastivory said, your piano could very well be out of tune, but it also may not be. Some instruments are made extremely well, and do not go out of tune easily. But I would definitely recommend getting it tuned if you decide to start playing.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 11:35:07 PM »

Thanks guys.

The piano is old and beaten up, and was just that when we got it. It wasn't in tune then (well...) as the frame was in such bad condition that tuning it would have turned it into shrapnel, so it was turned to half an octave down (or something...). As I can't really play by ear I can't tell whether or not hitting a C is giving me a C, an A or a D#... but the piano seems in tune with itself - hitting a higher C and a lower C gives the same note, and so on up and down the keyboard.

It'll do, for now. If one or more of us get good, then we can look into a decent electronic piano, but first I want at least one of us able to play with both hands at the same time Tongue

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

tomfoyle
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 47

Play that same song!

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 08:46:25 AM »

Hey James! I've been learning for a couple of years now, and have recently started recording some videos to put on YouTube. My latest one is a tribute to Chester Bennington Sad

In terms of resources, I generally just browse YouTube watching videos of people playing stuff. When I find something I like the sound of I just watch their hands and try to copy it. Occasionally people will post sheet music, but usually not, so I sometimes transcribe my own. Not that I can read sheet music particularly well! I'm trying to learn but usually end up having to play stuff mostly from memory.

I hope your playing goes well, it really is a beautiful instrument Smiley

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbT1_orDKcc" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbT1_orDKcc</a>

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 05:01:06 PM »

Hey James! I've been learning for a couple of years now, and have recently started recording some videos to put on YouTube. My latest one is a tribute to Chester Bennington Sad

This is really lovely Tom and a beautiful video tribute.  I am just becoming aware of who this person was and the impact that he and his band had on so many worldwide. Smiley

point  Cool

Dano
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 26

Light side points please!

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 02:21:24 PM »

That's an awesome instrument to have laying around (so to speak haha)! I've played for a little over 10 years. What brand is your piano?

Maestro Jones
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 181

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2019, 01:48:15 AM »

As a band director, I play,  though not as well as I'd like.  We had an old piano growing up, but I never really started to learn until college, and then I only learned enough to meet the requirements to graduate.  I don't know of any online resources for learning piano off the top of my head.  I always recommend lessons as there is nothing better that someone who knows what they are doing sitting next to you to help you learn.  It will not only help you to learn faster, it will cause less frustration. 

Household US Arsenal:
# = STUNT; % = OBSIDIAN LITE; ~ = OBSIDIAN V4; * = DIAMOND
Mine:
# Dark Apprentice LE v4: BR; # Dark Sentinel LE v4: TRI BR; # Dominix v3: PO; # Dorinian: TRI AB; # Frankensaber - BR; # Initiate v2: GB; # Liberator v3: TRI CG; % Archon 3.1: TRI CG; ~ Consular: TRI CG; ~ Dark Initiate LE v5: TRI FO; ~ Guardian: TRI GB; * Menace; * Monarch

Wife’s:
# Aeon V2: VA; # Dominix V2: BH; # Initiate V2: GB; # Prophecy v3: TRI GB; ~ Graflex SE: TRI GB; ~ Spectre: TRI GB; * Fulcrum; * Lost Grey

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: