Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Author Topic: Terra Prime Light Armory (Lightsaber Combat Training)  (Read 28895 times)
Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« on: July 05, 2017, 02:33:17 PM »

This thread is intended to give some general information about the organization I'm involved with, Terra Prime Light Armory (TPLA).  To give you some background, here's a rundown on some of our key members (many of which are Resident Masters on this forum).

Headmasters:
Darth Nonymous - Formerly a RM here, resigned when running TPLA kept him too busy to contribute here.  Founder and Director of TPLA, extensive background of multiple decades in training and teaching Chinese martial arts.
Nero Attoru - That's me of course!  Background in sport fencing, including coaching at the collegiate level for multiple years.
Artorius Vidnyl - My buddy and an actual walking weapon due to a few decades of training in multiple arts (TKD, BJJ, kenjutsu, etc).
Uilos (aka Craig Page) - Our Lore Master and founding member of the Rogue Alliance in NYC.  Also our expert in stage combat and choreography.
VorNach - Founded TPLA along with Darth Nonymous, extensive background in HEMA (German Longsword in particular).

Knights:
Darth Telos - Runs The Gathering of Sabers (TGOS) in Syracuse, and has decades of experience teaching Chinese and Filipino martial arts.
Harbinger (Jeff) - Runs a kenjutsu dojo, extensive background in Japanese swordsmanship.
Tanq (Rick) - Formed a saber group in Columbus, OH called Orbital Saber Arts.  Background is in various Chinese and Japanese sword styles.

Anyway, hopefully that gives you an idea of our qualifications.  As I mentioned briefly, we currently have a few different physical locations where you can learn lightsaber combat (Syracuse, Columbus, Ann Arbor), and outside of those locations we have many Learners in Exile who train with us online.  They start as Initiates and train Shii-Cho to completion, at which time they move into the Apprentice group to study the next three Forms.  This is accomplished largely via video submissions on our forum (PM me if you want details on joining).

Our use of the Seven Forms, as many of you know, is a progression from the absolute basics to the most advanced concepts.  Here's a basic rundown of how that works.

Form I (Shii-Cho):  Initiate level, teaches the essential core of lightsaber combat (cuts, parries, movement, etc).
Form II (Makashi):  Apprentice level, teaches elements of blade on blade interactions.
Form III (Soresu):  Apprentice level, teaches defensive concepts (orbits and more parries).
Form IV (Ataru): Apprentice level, teaches offensive concepts (power generation).
Form V (Shien and Djem So):  Knight level, brings together previous concepts into a cohesive combat method.
Form VI (Niman):  Headmaster level, takes Form V to a new level by incorporating advanced techniques.
Form VII (Juyo):  Headmaster level, breaks the structure to allow the swordsman true customization of combat techniques.

Any questions or interest, please feel free to contact me!  I'm essentially the most active of my TPLA colleagues on here, so I'd be happy to get anyone set up with our program.  I highly recommend at least checking it out, if you're interested in learning how to use the lightsaber (for any purpose).

Cang Snow
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 42

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 01:43:02 AM »

So Nero, does TPLA have its own competitive system or is it strictly martial (as in purely "realistic")?

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Suns of the Force

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 01:19:06 PM »

So Nero, does TPLA have its own competitive system or is it strictly martial (as in purely "realistic")?

We utilize sparring in addition to regular training, to test out the techniques learned.  I find that it's a good opportunity to give some added perspective to learners, so they have a better idea of why we do things certain ways.  Depending on what we're looking to train, we will use different rule sets.

We have several learners over in France, and they actually held a tournament not too long ago.  It was awesome to see!  Their leader is currently an Apprentice of ours, working quickly toward instructor status (Knight level).

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 05:54:35 PM »

Hey Nero!  How does the satellite training work?  I'd be interested in adding this to my martial arts training.  My form of karate is purely unarmed, but we are encouraged to seek additional training on our own.  I think this would make a nice complement to the bo training I'm doing.  :-)

Karmack

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

GregG124
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 436

There is only The Force.

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 06:20:47 PM »

Hey Master Nero, did TPLA have an official name change?

I thought that at one time the organization was called "Terra Prime Lightsaber Academy"... Mandela Effect??

Sabers I Own:
Dominix LE V4 (Obsidian V3) - Consular Green
Arbiter (Obsidian Lite) - Consular Green
Liberator V3 (Stunt) - Guardian Blue

Light Side Points Appreciated

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Suns of the Force

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 01:05:31 AM »

Hey Nero!  How does the satellite training work?  I'd be interested in adding this to my martial arts training.  My form of karate is purely unarmed, but we are encouraged to seek additional training on our own.  I think this would make a nice complement to the bo training I'm doing.  :-)

Karmack

I think it would likely provide a very interesting supplement to your training!  I'll PM you the info, but you basically submit video to earn Achievements for each Form.  They're reviewed by the certified TPLA instructors, and you're given feedback (and if appropriate, awarded the Achievement).  It's quite a bit of fun, I recommend taking a look.

Hey Master Nero, did TPLA have an official name change?

I thought that at one time the organization was called "Terra Prime Lightsaber Academy"... Mandela Effect??

The blanket organization is called Terra Prime Light Armory (for obvious copyright-related reasons among others).  We're still effectively a lightsaber academy though, it's our main focus!

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 03:58:41 AM »

Thanks Master Nero!  I will definitely take a look!

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Zyn
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 63

What do I see? Light... Darkness.... Balance

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 06:17:35 PM »

I'm tempted to come check out the Ann Arbor classes. Is it straight saber training? Or do you include staff training? I only ask because I have previous experience in Bojutsu, so I feel knocking the rust off would be easier than learning new technique.

"The protectors of the Balance must stand on the edge of two worlds, accepted by neither, masters of both."

Butcher (Diamond) | Emperor's Hand* (BR) | Lost Gray* (SD) | Sentinel v4* (BR) | Reaper (AB) | D. Initiate (AS) | D. Apprentice LE v4 (SY) | Aeon v4 (CG) (WILLING TO TRADE) | Dark Sentinel/Aeon Staff (FO) | D. Prophecy Build Project (Pending)

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Suns of the Force

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 01:07:11 AM »

I'm tempted to come check out the Ann Arbor classes. Is it straight saber training? Or do you include staff training? I only ask because I have previous experience in Bojutsu, so I feel knocking the rust off would be easier than learning new technique.

You may be able to train with a staff to a certain extent, I would contact Darth Nonymous about that aspect.

Zyn
Knight Templar

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 02:25:42 PM »

You may be able to train with a staff to a certain extent, I would contact Darth Nonymous about that aspect.

I will certainly do that. Thank you

"The protectors of the Balance must stand on the edge of two worlds, accepted by neither, masters of both."

Butcher (Diamond) | Emperor's Hand* (BR) | Lost Gray* (SD) | Sentinel v4* (BR) | Reaper (AB) | D. Initiate (AS) | D. Apprentice LE v4 (SY) | Aeon v4 (CG) (WILLING TO TRADE) | Dark Sentinel/Aeon Staff (FO) | D. Prophecy Build Project (Pending)

DadVader
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 04:35:29 PM »

Nero, can you talk about the helmets you suggest for sparing? I picked up lacrosse gloves for the family which work quite well.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Suns of the Force

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2017, 04:40:55 PM »

Nero, can you talk about the helmets you suggest for sparing? I picked up lacrosse gloves for the family which work quite well.

Good choice!  I tend to find that the most accessible and low cost option for head protection is a basic epee fencing mask.  For example, these are the ones I always used to buy for my team (when I was head coach):

https://www.absolutefencinggear.com/shopping/product_info.php/products_id/28/cPath/1

If you're able, I recommend trying to visit a nearby location (if there is one) and trying on one of these.  This particular mask runs a little on the large side, IMO.  I have a fairly large head, and I tend to wear a Medium (although it's a little small on me).  Truthfully, I'm between Medium and Large.  If you want any tips on what size might be good, just let me know and I'll chat with you about it.

Maj pain
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2017, 10:49:47 AM »

Nero... I'm day 1, saber is in the mail new!!! I'm 43 and I have an apt full of Star Wars, chicks get weirded out but stay anyways lol... how do i get started in training?? Anything in DVD??

Zyn
Knight Templar

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2017, 12:25:00 PM »

Hello again, Nero,

I haven't heard anything back from Nonymous. Would you be able to provide me with any more information on staff training?

DadVader
Force Sensitive

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2017, 12:45:08 PM »

Good choice!  I tend to find that the most accessible and low cost option for head protection is a basic epee fencing mask.  For example, these are the ones I always used to buy for my team (when I was head coach):

https://www.absolutefencinggear.com/shopping/product_info.php/products_id/28/cPath/1

If you're able, I recommend trying to visit a nearby location (if there is one) and trying on one of these.  This particular mask runs a little on the large side, IMO.  I have a fairly large head, and I tend to wear a Medium (although it's a little small on me).  Truthfully, I'm between Medium and Large.  If you want any tips on what size might be good, just let me know and I'll chat with you about it.

Thanks Nero! Something I'll note (that may be obvious to others): Having gloves enabled our casual sparing to get a little more spirited. Dad taking a saber to the head from my youngling has motivated us (me!) to get more safety gear.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: