Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Author Topic: Terra Prime Light Armory (Lightsaber Combat Training)  (Read 28897 times)
SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2021, 03:59:51 PM »

ok, I shouldn't mention in-universe case, agree, let's remove it from the plate as my interest is fully in real life combat. Hard to elaborate what should be done in imaginary world during imaginary cases.

But let me ask you then - do you have any real arguments against mine? you are constantly attacking person but not the argument, which is wrong imho
Ok, so you're talking "real life combat" that is focused on point sparring, which most sword/saber combat today is, of course. Because most things applicable to in-universe fighting would be at least somewhat relevant to real-life combat with the intention of incapacitating an opponent. If an opponent has a fair amount of protection/armor on, and your goal is to win a "fight/duel," not "just" to score points by making any level of contact, delivering a great deal of force and/or overpowering an opponent is a viable strategy. There's more than one way to  skin a cat. But this still doesn't mean that someone who trains for point sparring can't also train for techniques that would be useful for more "uncivilized" or "uncontrolled" duels, where more force can be useful.

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

Xiphos
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -6

Master the blade - master the self. Train hard.

« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2021, 04:46:22 PM »

SirLiftaLot and mrg149.... are you guys going to submit your videos for review this week? I'd love to see some new students welcomed into the clans!

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2021, 05:32:47 PM »

SirLiftaLot and mrg149.... are you guys going to submit your videos for review this week? I'd love to see some new students welcomed into the clans!
Yes I am! I just recorded it today actually, since I wanted to get something in broad daylight as opposed to a darker environment to better show more detail, even if the lightsaber itself doesn’t look as bright/real.

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

Xiphos
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2021, 05:46:43 PM »

Yes I am! I just recorded it today actually, since I wanted to get something in broad daylight as opposed to a darker environment to better show more detail, even if the lightsaber itself doesn’t look as bright/real.

Excellent! I hope I get a chance to see it.

Good call on the daytime video. I always record my videos in daylight, too. I think, for me, it's more important to display quality/understanding of movement rather than a glowy blade. My saber usually doesn't even have batteries in it.  Grin

Xiphos
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2021, 06:01:13 PM »

Have any masters to partner with in New Jersey?I'd love to work live

I don't know if there are any Instructors or Apprentices local to that area specifically, but NJ looks like it's right between NY and MI, which puts you somewhat in proximity to Ithaca Sabers (NY) and TPLA HQ (MI) so I wouldn't be surprised if you found somebody close by! But, that being said, the online material with the assistance from instructors, once you're accepted as a student (SUBMIT YOUR VIDEO!) and interaction with other students through the TPLA Clan structure, will give you plenty of material to train and progress with should you decide to take the plunge. I've been a distance learner with TPLA for about a year and a half and it's been a thoroughly enriching and enjoyable experience. I hope to see you in the clans!

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2021, 07:13:17 PM »

Excellent! I hope I get a chance to see it.

Good call on the daytime video. I always record my videos in daylight, too. I think, for me, it's more important to display quality/understanding of movement rather than a glowy blade. My saber usually doesn't even have batteries in it.  Grin

Haha. You raise some good points for sure. I tend to practice and film things in daylight when I'm learning and to check my form, and then when I want to share something, I usually do it in lower-light conditions to be more visually appealing to most people. My background is Taekwondo, but I'm admittedly years out of formal practice. Mostly just weapons practice the last few years. Lost some flexibility when I got more into lifting weights. But balance is coming to merge strength and flexibility.

Anyway, here's my video below. If you need me to upload and/or send it differently, just let me know. The first minute or so is the actual saberstaff practice/form/etc., and then the next thirty seconds or so is just some even more exotic lightsaber fun, and a little bit of an opportunity to use my TKD background with lightsabers that I made custom. The ground where the staff work was done is incredibly uneven, but that makes it a more dynamic experience I suppose.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5rO7iCwNCg" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5rO7iCwNCg</a>

Xiphos
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2021, 07:32:48 PM »

Haha. You raise some good points for sure. I tend to practice and film things in daylight when I'm learning and to check my form, and then when I want to share something, I usually do it in lower-light conditions to be more visually appealing to most people. My background is Taekwondo, but I'm admittedly years out of formal practice. Mostly just weapons practice the last few years. Lost some flexibility when I got more into lifting weights. But balance is coming to merge strength and flexibility.

Anyway, here's my video below. If you need me to upload and/or send it differently, just let me know. The first minute or so is the actual saberstaff practice/form/etc., and then the next thirty seconds or so is just some even more exotic lightsaber fun, and a little bit of an opportunity to use my TKD background with lightsabers that I made custom. The ground where the staff work was done is incredibly uneven, but that makes it a more dynamic experience I suppose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5rO7iCwNCg#

This looks great, SirLiftaLot! Please email this video to TPLA at terraprimelightsaberacademy@gmail.com between August 23rd and August 30th for consideration. I'm sure you'll be accepted as a student!

Xiphos
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2021, 07:46:36 PM »

Good luck and MTFBWY!!!!

mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2021, 01:55:31 AM »

looks like iI'll iss the deadline as I'm currently on vacay and when I get back it's back to teaching :-( So I won't have time to spare. I am not sure what I'd record anyhow besides me just holding my glowbat and randomly swinging it around like the noob I am. :-) I'm still just trying to figure out if I want tpla or just learn stage combat or flow art.

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

Darth Sabre
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: -216

TPLA Knight instructor

« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2021, 01:06:06 PM »

The best way for your submission is the following:

Register on our forum:

https://tplalxforum.boards.net

Comment in the 'student roster' in the general section of the forum and tell us why you want to join TPLA. We will then open your personal training thread where you can submit your videos.

Nameless
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2021, 07:23:46 PM »

ive done weapon martial arts for years, and ive been practicing forms VI and V the most, but I have a relative knowledge of the others too, however I'm not sure where to begin when it comes to dueling, as most people I've "dueled" with have been during kendo and Sai-mech (like dual wielding, but with kamas), so they haven't really been able to help me practice forms, since they didnt know them. Any advice for me?

Balance is all a blind man knows; when the world is dark and the night endless, one must look inwards and wield the light to stay on the path.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 807

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2023, 09:39:36 PM »

I've actually been wondering if this is still an active organization....

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: