Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: PhotoBucket Charging $399 For Third-Party Hosted Images!  (Read 5416 times)
Lord Raváge
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1453

Ki tsimsima tuti mazo Galactic, Nu qorit dudnims!

« on: July 06, 2017, 03:23:55 AM »

"Every" image I shared on this site (as of May 02, 2015) is now being held for ransom by PhotoBucket until I can find an alternate hosting option and hope Saber Forum helps those of us affected options to update our image links...Doh!  Angry

Please see Martin Brinkmann's full article for complete details below:
(https://www.ghacks.net/2017/06/30/photobucket-now-charges-399-for-third-party-hosted-images/)

Other forums I have been a part of since 2006 are also affected....Argh! (2x)  Angry

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2130

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 03:31:53 AM »

Thank you for posting this. I was just informed about the Photobucket issue last night and its good to know why our pictures are gone.

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 03:58:05 AM »

Photobucket charges?  I just use imgur

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 04:57:55 AM »

I've been using Photobucket since 2013 ... every pic I've posted since then is exactly that - held for ransom.

I've sent a very blunt email to them a few days ago expressing my many concerns and I have yet to hear back from them.

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 02:22:32 PM »

...and Imgur's laughing all the way to the ad revenue bank.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 04:59:12 PM »

I abandoned Photobucket a long time ago, been using Imgur lately with no issues.  Definitely give it a try.

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 12:12:33 AM »

That's my plan, I've started downloading my albums to my PC for the transition.

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Lord Raváge
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2017, 05:12:55 PM »

I abandoned Photobucket a long time ago, been using Imgur lately with no issues.  Definitely give it a try.
Thanks for the Imgur suggestion!

I've tested it on my avatar and signature which are now appearing here, so I will transfer/upload the rest of my images to Imgur.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 02:09:28 PM »

Thanks for the Imgur suggestion!

I've tested it on my avatar and signature which are now appearing here, so I will transfer/upload the rest of my images to Imgur.
Everything running smoothly with your transition?

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Seano
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: -229

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 04:08:49 AM »

Downloading my library, and closing my Photobucket account as we speak. What a bunch of b*stards, unbelievable!

Ramse Moade the Grey

Current Sabres - Graflex SE in GB & Obsidian V3, Shock in TRI BR (QD's) & Obsidian V3, Customised Dorinian with Diamond Controller, Dark Catalyst in Adegan Silver with Arctic Blue FOC and Obsidian V3 (Customisation WIP)

Lord Raváge
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 06:14:04 AM »

Thank you for posting this. I was just informed about the Photobucket issue last night and its good to know why our pictures are gone.

You're welcome. Figured it's the least I could do for those of us affected.

Everything running smoothly with your transition?

I think I got all of them uploaded, Lord Logos

Unfortunately, Master Nero Attoru recently informed me that the forum settings won't allow me to "modify" past posts links, so it appears that I'm SOL regarding them ever being seen again short of re-posting them...(sigh)  Cry

He did, however, offer to update links in a few threads himself, so I'll have to choose which thread(s) I'd like to provide the links to.
The downside is Imgur renames the images with random code names, so I'll have to create a list of every image as opposed to simply providing the host site URL just in front of the "actual" image name (i.e. http://i.imgur.com/actual_image_name.type).

Downloading my library, and closing my Photobucket account as we speak. What a bunch of b*stards, unbelievable!

Yup...SMH. Angry

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 01:24:55 PM »

Unfortunately, Master Nero Attoru recently informed me that the forum settings won't allow me to "modify" past posts links, so it appears that I'm SOL regarding them ever being seen again short of re-posting them...(sigh)  Cry

He did, however, offer to update links in a few threads himself, so I'll have to choose which thread(s) I'd like to provide the links to.
The downside is Imgur renames the images with random code names, so I'll have to create a list of every image as opposed to simply providing the host site URL just in front of the "actual" image name (i.e. http://i.imgur.com/actual_image_name.type).

Yup...SMH. Angry

Yup, I made a thread in the Commander's Quarters to offer my help.  For anyone unable to access that section, shoot me a PM if you're having difficulties updating your images, as the forum settings won't allow you to edit posts after a certain time limit.

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2017, 01:44:52 PM »

The reason for that is because Imgur is part image hosting site, part social media site. The images are able to be posted to the public for everyone to see if you want, and to do that efficiently, the images should not be pulled from individual subdirectories, but a single directory. Because everything is stored in a single directory, the unique, randomized name is essential, as you would have no end of people trying to upload a file called "awesome.gif" or "hottie.jpg" and either being told to rename it or worse, overwriting a file that already has that name, thereby screwing other people over.

In order to do this properly, the users do not have individual directories and subfolders like Photobucket, but instead your images are referenced on your page the same as they are in public. The reason for that is because having individual directories and the massive single repository would be redundant.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 02:25:23 PM »

I think I got all of them uploaded, Lord Logos

I hear that. Looks like I'm finally going to have to redo my arsenal thread and update it. (Which has been looonnnnngg overdue.) Roll Eyes

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Lord Raváge
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2017, 01:43:14 AM »

The reason for that is because Imgur is part image hosting site, part social media site. The images are able to be posted to the public for everyone to see if you want, and to do that efficiently, the images should not be pulled from individual subdirectories, but a single directory. Because everything is stored in a single directory, the unique, randomized name is essential, as you would have no end of people trying to upload a file called "awesome.gif" or "hottie.jpg" and either being told to rename it or worse, overwriting a file that already has that name, thereby screwing other people over.

In order to do this properly, the users do not have individual directories and subfolders like Photobucket, but instead your images are referenced on your page the same as they are in public. The reason for that is because having individual directories and the massive single repository would be redundant.
You explain this like you're an Imgur stockholder, Jev. Grin

I hear that. Looks like I'm finally going to have to redo my arsenal thread and update it. (Which has been looonnnnngg overdue.) Roll Eyes
The struggles of a Sith Lord is indeed real... Roll Eyes

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: