Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Single Blade Renegade Greatsaber  (Read 2907 times)
Hansrad
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -670

Jedi? Sith? I'm the one with the lightsaber.

« on: July 12, 2017, 02:00:16 AM »

Disclaimer - I'm probably going to ramble on for a bit so please feel free to skip to the pics.

So a while back I was inspired to do a mod to my Manticore that required parts from a Renegade to complete. To be more precise an emitter, pommel and extension. As we all know Renegade parts other than the pommel (even those can only be bought when buying certain of the more basic sabers) can only be attained one way, buy a Renegade. The Renegade while really nice wasn't really on my radar since I'm not really into the cross hilt blades thing (sorry to those that are). So back in May I was all prepared to buy something else and I was like what the heck I'll get the Renegade as a single blade and remove the cross guard section (which I'm pretty sure nullifies your warranty). I ordered it in Blazing Red with Sentinel Yellow flash (which looks amazing) with an Obsidian v4 board in it.

A few days later (actually 4 days) I got my boxes from Ultrasabers. Now here's where everything went awry. I pull the Renegade out of it's box and absolutely fell in love with the hilt. I love the feel and weight of it on top of it just looking mean. I started playing around it the MHS parts and when I removed the side extensions, which aren't necessary when you don't have side LEDs I was sold on leaving the cross guard intact, just slightly slimmer than before. I really like this because it reminds me of a regular sword that way. When I carry it around I usually grip it just under the cross guard. I also really love the gredade grip section.

So now my Manticore was no closer to having the parts I needed. Then Ultrasabers had a sale that had free shipping and I went ahead and ordered an empty Renegade to get my parts. After ordering it I got to thinking about what I was going to do with the extra parts and then a stroke of genius occurred. I decided to make the already decent sized saber into a great saber, since I'd have an additional hilt main section to use. The best part is that I'd now have two of the grenade grip sections. I also decided to use one of the additional side emitters as a pommel on the new saber. One warning I do have is that while the Renegade hilt is pretty easy to take apart there's one part where the main hilt section joins the cross part that is rather difficult ot remove. So with the additional parts and a MHS gender changer I got this.

The Renegade now measures 27"/68cm in length. And because I'm going for the greatsaber look I added a 40" blade to it bringing it to a length of 65"/165cm. Here's a pic next to a door to give some reference as to the size.

I took an elevator bolt (a type of bolt with a large flat head) and gave it a curve with a a hammer on a vise to make a way of covering the ignition switch hole on the second hilt section. I painted it black. I didn't get an exact match to the black of the saber but I'm pretty happy with the results.

Inside the side emitters I built some mini blade plugs out of some hard drive parts so I wouldn't be able to look straight through the saber and to keep stuff out of the hilt. Sorry the picture is pretty blurry.

A nice thing is that it gets some backlighting from the main LED. Another nice thing about not having the side LEDs is that it allows a ton of that great Obsidian sound out through there too.

So that's about it. Just wanted to share my new love with everyone and I hope everone enjoys the post. Thanks and have a great day!

Own: Emerald Overlord, BHManticore, BR Renegade,FO Dominix LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix LE V4 (stunt), GB Apprentice LE(stunt),BR Dark Initiate LE V4 (stunt), AS Apprentice LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix V3 (stunt), SRD Darkish Liberator (stunt) Emerald Lost Grey.

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 02:39:34 AM »

Definitely a unique mod here.
Not sure I'd want to wield this monster, though.

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2130

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 03:59:24 AM »

Beautiful mod

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 04:14:05 PM »

That's a beautiful beast !  What a clever idea using that elevator bolt and you have made it look like it was meant to be there.  Now to get the pommel to light up.  Your custom work is always so clean and darn near perfect !  Wink

point  Cool

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 06:05:50 PM »

I love it!  Too large for my comfort but I'm all for what you've configured.  This is essentially what i did with my Flamberge - a vision to make my own long sword style lightsaber.  Great share and points to you, Hansrad.

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Hansrad
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 09:04:06 PM »

Thanks everyone! It's definitely not something I'd want to do too many tricks with. I tried to do some spinning and maneuvers and almost clocked myself in the face with the pommel, so probably won't do too much along those lines anymore. Will just work on sword strokes mostly.  I just love carrying it around. Of all my sabers it's the one that truly feels Sith to me. I could see the weilder using the hilt alone as a serious weapon.

Own: Emerald Overlord, BHManticore, BR Renegade,FO Dominix LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix LE V4 (stunt), GB Apprentice LE(stunt),BR Dark Initiate LE V4 (stunt), AS Apprentice LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix V3 (stunt), SRD Darkish Liberator (stunt) Emerald Lost Grey.

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 03:07:18 AM »

I just love carrying it around. Of all my sabers it's the one that truly feels Sith to me. I could see the weilder using the hilt alone as a serious weapon.

Agreed, very imposing!

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 05:33:38 AM »

One of a kind beast! It deserves its own name! Time to come up with one.

MavRick
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 600

May the force be with you! (give light side )

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 08:35:15 PM »

I'm not a fan pf cross guard saber but i like this one. Point to you good sir. " the Beast Master"

Sabers I own:                                           
 Graflex Tri-cree AB w/sd & bronze buttons
 Consular CG w/sd an silver foc
 Archon CG w/sd an silver foc
 Prophecy CG w/sd an silver foc
 Dorinian SRD w/lite sd and AB foc
 Guardian in GB
 Aeon V3 in GB
 Dark Standard Issue BR w/vert grooves
 Dark Apprentice AB (Freebee!)
 Sentinel LE V4 w/windows in SY
 Dark Sentinel LE V5 in AB (raffle prize)
 Initiate LE V4 in GB
 Franken saber in VA
Wish list: Dark Prophecy BR w/sd, dark cat pommel; Azure Dorinian AB; Dominix LE V2 in BR gift for a friend

Hansrad
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 12:10:36 AM »

Thanks tx_tuff and MavRick. Yeah I've trying to think of a name too. I've batted around the idea of calling it "Malevolence"

Samhain138
Dark Lord of the Menace Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2171

Aw, crap.

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 01:52:58 AM »

Hmmm maybe I should put one together.  I should have the parts to make something similar.  Looks like it could be fun to use!  Very cool!

Hansrad
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 03:08:31 AM »

I could only imagine the spinning magic you could pull off with something like this. The balance point is just above the av switch.

Grindspine
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 21

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 07:26:32 PM »

Beastly!  Without a blade it looks like a mace.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: