Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Blade solutions - how to handle  (Read 4880 times)
brad81380
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 2

« on: July 16, 2017, 04:42:17 AM »

How do you handle carrying your blade for costume parties and conventions?  I have been thinking about either making a leather or cloth sheath to hang over my back, a hidden sheath under a shoulder cape(I have a family member who is a seamstress who could make this for me), or finding a sheath made for a kendo stick.  I would love to hear other ideas, since I just bought my first saber but am stuck on this one problem, having resolved the rest of the costume.

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 3214

You can't take the sky from me....

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 06:13:24 AM »

Some people build blade pockets into the inside of their cape/ cloak. Personally, i just carry the lightsaber. I usually have a double bladed lightsaber with quick coupler and blades in it that i carry, and if i need hands free i break it down to the two and stick them on my belt. I have cut the blades down to the right size that i can walk around without them hitting the ground while on my belt.

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

brad81380
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 08:42:48 AM »

Some people build blade pockets into the inside of their cape/ cloak. Personally, i just carry the lightsaber. I usually have a double bladed lightsaber with quick coupler and blades in it that i carry, and if i need hands free i break it down to the two and stick them on my belt. I have cut the blades down to the right size that i can walk around without them hitting the ground while on my belt.

In my particular case, I can't really let the blade dangle for the event I will be attending, due to safety restrictions.  Eventually I will dual wield, much like I prefer with regular steel swords(martial arts is another pass time, though I need to find a new master for that), so I get what you mean about cutting down to the right size.  I just ordered my first saber, a grab bag, tonight and will only have the one with me.  Going to personalize it a bit, and I am sure I will be showing it off some(getting a thumb screw to use in the place of the standard blade screw for this trip because of the need to set up and break down quickly and repeatedly).  My sheath idea, if I did it in leather, would have been a simple leather sheath using leather belt blanks to create two fasteners, one at the waist and another crossbody.  Could be more expensive than making a simpler cape with a sheath hidden within, unless I used a partially open design(like leather strips to hold the blade in place).  I haven't been able to work out any real alternatives to these options.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 08:54:46 PM »

Yes to both. A blade pocket is very easy and accommodating for a single blade, but if you're running a staff, it's far easier to leave it assembled for ease of pics. Unless you don't mind not showing off your saber in photo ops.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

brad81380
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 07:51:05 AM »

Yes to both. A blade pocket is very easy and accommodating for a single blade, but if you're running a staff, it's far easier to leave it assembled for ease of pics. Unless you don't mind not showing off your saber in photo ops.

Not doing a saber staff.  I will eventually have one just because everyone should have one in their collection, but I favor dual wield.  For the purpose of this trip, I will just have my Dominix LE V4 with me.  Only downside is they limit cape length to waist length max at this particular event(a costume party really, at a theme park, but hey, testing grounds).  Still, I did purchase a 32 inch blade, so it could work.  Going to swap out a thumb screw so I can quickly attach and detach the blade without worrying about losing an allen wrench.  Basically need to balance the ability to enjoy the park with a well designed costume(shame I couldn't have done full make up though.....was going to pain myself up like a Cathar).

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 05:01:42 PM »

Not doing a saber staff.  I will eventually have one just because everyone should have one in their collection, but I favor dual wield.  For the purpose of this trip, I will just have my Dominix LE V4 with me.  Only downside is they limit cape length to waist length max at this particular event(a costume party really, at a theme park, but hey, testing grounds).  Still, I did purchase a 32 inch blade, so it could work.  Going to swap out a thumb screw so I can quickly attach and detach the blade without worrying about losing an allen wrench.  Basically need to balance the ability to enjoy the park with a well designed costume(shame I couldn't have done full make up though.....was going to pain myself up like a Cathar).

Staff or duallies, both systems require two blades, and having to set-up/break-down 2 blades is tedious to say the least. Thumb-screws would help your cause for speed though.

What kind of stupid-@$$ reg is that. "Waist-length capes" <scoffs> more like waste of time.  Angry No makeup? What park is this. They suck. How are you "allowed to wear a costume" if not allowed to wear a proper costume?

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

brad81380
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 05:07:33 AM »

Staff or duallies, both systems require two blades, and having to set-up/break-down 2 blades is tedious to say the least. Thumb-screws would help your cause for speed though.

What kind of stupid-@$$ reg is that. "Waist-length capes" <scoffs> more like waste of time.  Angry No makeup? What park is this. They suck. How are you "allowed to wear a costume" if not allowed to wear a proper costume?

Disney...go figure.  Problem is they have had so security issues so last year their rules got revised.  Wanted to make sure I came up with a costume that worked for conventions as well, so a Jedi character was the easiest option, aside from the fact I am now flying and the airline charges per bag(a separate issue).  I thought about putting some kind of leather sling/sheath into the costume that attaches to the belt.

Star Killer
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: -10

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 11:26:07 AM »

I bought an arrow quiver, holds up to 36inch blades confortably;
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00IM3B67I/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1500895159&sr=8-9&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=arrow+quiver this works or something like it should serve you
You need to MacGyver a strap to attach to the cheap cord used by it's served me well I carry my blades to my saber fighting classes/combat school. I had to use black ducttape around the center to hold it in place (photos this afternoon, I used it also to transport my blades to Montreal Comicon with no problems.

As per using it in con it depends what your costume looks like, I simply attached the blades to my sabers attached the hilt(s) to my covertech and had a good time!

Proud servant of Lord Vader,
Lightsabers owned:
Apprentice LE V4 Red (Donated to poor kids)
Bellicose Obsidian Soundboard Red
Bellicose Stunt Red
Raven  Obsidian Soundboard RGB
Sentinel V4 Blue (Donated to poor kids)
Guardian Obsidian Blue

Want: Lost Grey and Fulcrum set

brad81380
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 04:17:03 PM »

I bought an arrow quiver, holds up to 36inch blades confortably;
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00IM3B67I/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1500895159&sr=8-9&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=arrow+quiver this works or something like it should serve you
You need to MacGyver a strap to attach to the cheap cord used by it's served me well I carry my blades to my saber fighting classes/combat school. I had to use black ducttape around the center to hold it in place (photos this afternoon, I used it also to transport my blades to Montreal Comicon with no problems.

As per using it in con it depends what your costume looks like, I simply attached the blades to my sabers attached the hilt(s) to my covertech and had a good time!

Thanks, that is a good idea I hadn't thought of.  For a carry on I had considered my shotgun case or guitar case, but hadn't quite worked out something for carrying it around while in use.  I do know quivers are allowed(though ironically, arrows, aside from toy ones, are not), so that may be a good solution.

Star Killer
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 04:32:25 PM »

My pleasure, like I said I'll post a photo of it this afternoon to show you what I did with it, enjoy the con!

Lightsabers owned:
Bellicose Stunt Red
Guardian Obsidian Blue

brad81380
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 04:44:28 PM »

My pleasure, like I said I'll post a photo of it this afternoon to show you what I did with it, enjoy the con!

Not really a con so much as a Halloween Party.  The cons will come later(especially considering San Diego Comic-Con is going to be a big thing for my career).  Still, gives me a chance to test out and adjust costumes.

Star Killer
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2017, 05:41:23 PM »

Fair enough anyways photos as promised:
As you can see you can probably fit 5-6 in it
https://imgur.com/a/QO19K

And I reinforced the mid section with ducttape to prevent any problems:
https://i.imgur.com/3SKmMAj.jpg

Mostly this is to transport them discretely as I mostly rely on public transport and keeps them clean/dry when it rains outside.

Lightsabers owned:
Bellicose Stunt Red
Guardian Obsidian Blue

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: