Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Yoda? Sidious? Dooku?  (Read 2999 times)
StarWarsForce
Knight Major

Force Alignment: -106

Light or Dark Points? You choose!

« on: July 16, 2017, 04:46:22 AM »

Grandmaster Yoda, Darth Sidious, and Count Dooku are arguably the most skilled lightsaber duelists from the Star Wars movies.

Does anybody know why none of the major custom lightsaber companies (as far as I know) haven't made replicas or their take on these characters' lightsabers, characters known for their lightsaber abilities? I know Yoda's and Sidious's lightsabers are small, and Count Dooku's is curved (which adds some challenges), but I think if done well, a company (oh, let's just say Ultrasabers Wink) could make a small fortune from these designs. Thoughts, and anybody want to join me for hoping this day will come (the Sidious saber in particular for me!)?

Sabers I own (in order of how I got them):
Dominix LE V4--AS--Stunt
Consular--Emerald RGBW--V4 Sound
Manticore CE--Emerald RGBW--V4 Sound
Crimson Reaper--Tri AS--V4 Sound (Free Premium GB)
Dark War Glaive Body/Crimson Reaper Emitter/Crimson Mantis Pommel Mix--BR--Stunt (Free Premium GB)
Dark Prophecy V3--DVA--V4 Sound
Initiate LE V4--CG--Lite Sound (2nd Summer Raffle Win, 4th Prize, 2016)

Isola815
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 594

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 04:48:18 AM »

US don't make replicas, but some people would tell you that some existing US models are "based on" those hilts, which I personally don't agree with. Anymore than that from US... well you'll just have to wait and see what they release over the years to come.

Other companies have done replicas. That's all I can say as per forum rules.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 03:18:59 PM »

The short answer for why you don't see those sabers:  Size and shape.

Yoda's lightsaber is tiny, easily the smallest lightsaber at around 5.5 inches long.  It would take extreme cram fu to get electronics in there, especially sound.  Sidious' lightsabers are short, around 7.5 inches long, but that's not the only issue.  The shape of the emitter would make attaching a dueling blade extremely difficult. With Dooku's saber, it's all about the shape.  It has a bend in the back and a more subtle curve up front, making electronics and inserting a dueling blade difficult.  It also can't be turned on a lathe, like most of the designs UltraSabers does.  (yes, they do other machining, but all of their sabers start on a lathe)

That's pretty much it, aside from the obvious answer of licensing, etc.  Plus, as Isola815 said, UltraSabers doesn't make replicas.  They make similar and inspired hilts, but not replicas.  I have a Consular, and it looks significantly different from Qui-Gon's lightsaber, but not in a bad way.  It's a wonderful hilt, but not a replica.

projectno253
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -88

There is no Peace...only Victory

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 03:58:39 PM »

Another reason is that there is only a small demand for high end replica dueling hilts. Most of US's sales are stunt sabers for mild Star Wars enthusiasts. There are already smaller companies that pump out occasional runs of Yoda's saber, Dooku's and Sidious', at relatively high prices for empty hilts. Most people looking for sabers just want a saber-esque aluminum tube that is duelable.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 06:12:14 PM »

Another reason is that there is only a small demand for high end replica dueling hilts. Most of US's sales are stunt sabers for mild Star Wars enthusiasts. There are already smaller companies that pump out occasional runs of Yoda's saber, Dooku's and Sidious', at relatively high prices for empty hilts. Most people looking for sabers just want a saber-esque aluminum tube that is duelable.

Yeah, definitely.  For straight heavy dueling, I'd be willing to bet UltraSabers sells way more of the lower end one piece designs, the "beaters" if you will, than they do the higher tier sabers.  Those are more for "cool, look at that."  But, you can still duel with them, which is a mandatory design point for US to release a hilt, it has to be dueling worthy.

BatMike90
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -793

Dark (Knight) Side Points.

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 09:32:18 PM »

Yeah, definitely.  For straight heavy dueling, I'd be willing to bet UltraSabers sells way more of the lower end one piece designs, the "beaters" if you will, than they do the higher tier sabers.  Those are more for "cool, look at that."  But, you can still duel with them, which is a mandatory design point for US to release a hilt, it has to be dueling worthy.

This. All of it.

Arsenel:
RGBW DIAMOND: Archon v3.1 / Dominicide / Graflex SE /  Guardian
V4 SOUND : Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Emperor's Hand
STUNT: Aeon v4 / Bellicose / Dark Apprentice v4 (x2) / Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Phantom Initiate V4 / Prophecy v3 / Renegade LE / Scorpion (x2)
Star Wars Cosplay Alias:
Merik Wolfe (Jedi Knight) / Darth Marcotus (Sith Warrior)
BatMike90's Soundfonts

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 04:04:20 AM »

Does anybody know why none of the major custom lightsaber companies (as far as I know) haven't made replicas or their take on these characters' lightsabers, characters known for their lightsaber abilities?

1) Because Disney hasn't licensed the rights to make replicas and US would rather stay in business than make a replica and get sued into oblivion.

2) Forum rules prevent me from telling you that they're out there if you know where to look, or who to talk to.

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

StarWarsForce
Knight Major

Force Alignment: -106

Light or Dark Points? You choose!

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 12:41:03 AM »

I would just like to clarify that I wrote replicas or their take on these characters lightsabers. What I meant by that was the inspired by hilts that US makes. Seems to be a lot of discussion about that, which wasn't the point of the thread, so just wanted to clear that up.

Sabers I own (in order of how I got them):
Dominix LE V4--AS--Stunt
Consular--Emerald RGBW--V4 Sound
Manticore CE--Emerald RGBW--V4 Sound
Crimson Reaper--Tri AS--V4 Sound (Free Premium GB)
Dark War Glaive Body/Crimson Reaper Emitter/Crimson Mantis Pommel Mix--BR--Stunt (Free Premium GB)
Dark Prophecy V3--DVA--V4 Sound
Initiate LE V4--CG--Lite Sound (2nd Summer Raffle Win, 4th Prize, 2016)

Darth Veilus
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -40

DARK SIDE POINTS ONLY PLEASE!

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 02:56:27 AM »

I'd love a Dookuish curved Hilt. Something better then the Mantis or Curved Reaper. I love curved hilts.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 03:08:29 PM »

I would just like to clarify that I wrote replicas or their take on these characters lightsabers. What I meant by that was the inspired by hilts that US makes. Seems to be a lot of discussion about that, which wasn't the point of the thread, so just wanted to clear that up.

Considering the replicas Ultrasabers has come out with (or at least "inspired by" hilts), such as the Chosen One and Electrum Wind, perhaps we'll see something in the future.  However, having been in this hobby a while now, I've noticed that for some reason, Yoda and Sidious seem to have the least popular lightsabers.  Perhaps this is because both characters are more well known for their other talents, rather than their swordsmanship... who knows.  At any rate, regarding the third, I can attest to the difficulty a curve provides for installation.  The unique shape of Dooku's hilt is certainly a difficult one to make producible.

lovetadraw
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: -175

Lawth VS Malice ~The End of Innocence

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 02:23:50 PM »

Otherguys have a very small compact Sidious saber, the issue is that there is no blade depth. Just like how Ahsoka's 6" offhand saber became 12", I don't see US doing smaller hilts like Yoda or Sidious particularly well. If nothing else, the boards that US uses are too big, plus many otherguys boards can be used with single 3.7v batteries which also frees up a LOT of space. I think US could do a Yoda saber, but it'd be Initate v4 sized at least.

"Somewhere between darkness and light I reside, seek not to save me, for I needn't rescue."

Emerald Consular Staff (PO and Gold)
Chimera (Custom with Maticore emitter)
Cyan Short Boi (Modified Dark IniV2Le)
Kylo Ren-egade (Custom with Renegade parts)
MHS Luke Hero (Archon emitter)
Mustafar's Wake (Modified Dark Prophecy)
MHS Skywalker Saber
MHS Darth Zannah

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: