Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Lightspeed Top 10 kills of the month  (Read 2972 times)
Cang Snow
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 42

« on: July 18, 2017, 05:03:09 AM »

Hi everybody. I'm trying out a Top 10 video series for my organization, Lightspeed Saber League! Please check it out and let me know what you think. I'd appreciate your feedback.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVClyihBE1U" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVClyihBE1U</a>

Logan Skywalker
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 6

Keeper of The Balance

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 09:30:38 PM »

Hello,
After a review of your rules, I must ask, do you consider this lightsaber combat? Your rules literally eliminate many of the basic strikes of shii cho, and completely removes the possibility of Ataru. Only semi circular strikes eliminates the Suma Rotations, thereby the entire foundation of Ataru. Personally, I don't see how this can be viewed by any legitimate saber duelist who practices the forms, any more than someone claiming to do Tae Kwon Do, but does not use any of the traditional Tae Kwon Do forms. Am I missing something? As a lightsaber duelist, I feel that we should all be working towards a sport that can be viewed as credible amongst practitioners and fans alike. As a Star Wars fan, I cant possibly consider this Lightsaber Combat, more just fighting with lightsabers. As a Lightsaber Duelist, I cannot consider any group credible that does not practice the 7 forms of lightsaber combat.

Logan "The Grey" Skywalker

Cang Snow
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 42

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 10:00:15 PM »

Hello,
After a review of your rules, I must ask, do you consider this lightsaber combat? Your rules literally eliminate many of the basic strikes of shii cho, and completely removes the possibility of Ataru. Only semi circular strikes eliminates the Suma Rotations, thereby the entire foundation of Ataru. Personally, I don't see how this can be viewed by any legitimate saber duelist who practices the forms, any more than someone claiming to do Tae Kwon Do, but does not use any of the traditional Tae Kwon Do forms. Am I missing something? As a lightsaber duelist, I feel that we should all be working towards a sport that can be viewed as credible amongst practitioners and fans alike. As a Star Wars fan, I cant possibly consider this Lightsaber Combat, more just fighting with lightsabers. As a Lightsaber Duelist, I cannot consider any group credible that does not practice the 7 forms of lightsaber combat.

Hello Logan. I am unable to locate anywhere in our rules in which we say that Shii-cho or Ataru movements are not allowed. We pride ourselves on the versatility that our system allows and the versatility that we instill in our trainees. We teach one and two-handed technique, semi- and full-sweeping cuts, spins, and jumps. All of which are legal.

So I'm afraid I don't know how best to answer your question as the information it is based on is wrong.

Logan Skywalker
Knight Apprentice

Keeper of The Balance

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 04:43:26 AM »

Hello Snow,
The very first movement of the quintessential Shii cho form General Suns Shii Cho, is an inline thrust. Ataru is based off of the Suma Rotations, every movement is literally a full sweeping circular, or minor orbit. Also these Suma rotations are used to attack the blade with enough force to send it out wide creating an opening for an attack by carrying that rotation around, I could be wrong but I am pretty sure one would be called for attacking the blade too hard by kinking it accidentally( this only pertains to the 3/4 inch blades you use, with a 1 in heavy grade this wouldn't be as much of a concern) So basically the rules limit ones ability to perform techniques trained in these forms. While I understand the need for safety, this is a combat sport. I have been told that people less experienced might not understand what is going on and might go too hard, my opinion on that is that, wouldn't it be better to teach the need for control, as opposed to limiting the more experienced duelists in this. It is my understanding that your organization is still in the fledgling stages and that you are still developing it. Would it not be more conducive to lightsaber dueling as a whole, to work towards a more unified set of rules that encompasses all aspects of saber dueling? Shii Cho and Ataru both use upward sweeping cuts below the waist. I get the need for control and any forceful thrust should be called out, but all point in line attacks. I feel that rather than removing a danger completely thereby limiting the forms, we should be teaching control and absence of ego or the desire to cause harm, after all none of this is meant to cause damage a light touch is a point. There is going to be a certain level of danger involved though, rather than seek to remove it completely we should strive to perfect technique and control. Maybe the rules don't completely rule out the forms but it really does limit them, in the name of safety, which LudoSport has proven is not that great of a concern. It seems to me that here in the states we like to limit and control rather than teach care and responsibility. Safety is very important yes, but why is it that the ludosport guys can use stabbing attacks without causing harm, yet we cant, I mean those guys don't even wear gear. All that said I may have come across a bit heavy handed in my comment. I apologize for that. I am irritated and concerned about the state of saber combat here in the USA. There really is no unified set of rules to go by(that aren't trying to be controlled by the owner and board members of an organization I won't name here). The other thing is this why limit everyone to a single saber, or segregate them to an exotics match? I read in a local light speed based group, that it is to avoid conflict because someone could say they lost cause they were using a staff, or vice versa, the single saber user lost because the disadvantage of the staff having two blades. My first thing would be to immediately nip that in the bud by saying, no you lost because you hadn't perfected your technique at a level that would defend against a saber staff, or the other way around, rather than limit ones progression by allowing them to place blame outside of themselves, thereby cutting off any possibility of correcting mistakes they don't believe they made, since it was the saber staffs fault. I truly admire what you are trying to do, and I hope that when I have the UFLC(United Federation of Lightsaber Combat) set up and the rules worked out, you will send duelists to participate in the tournaments. Ultimately, my goal as a saber duelist is for us all to unite under one accord for tournaments, while retaining the autonomy within our own organizations to set the rules for our organizational tournaments as we feel necessary. Mind you it was between the time of my last comment and now that I realized that rather than call every organization out on things, I should create a space in which all saberists may compete under a common rule set that doesn't unnecessarily limit the forms. Again I apologize for coming across too strong, I am Revanchist, but the rebellious crusader in me becomes revanite sith from time to time. MTFBWY.

Logan Skywalker
Knight Apprentice

Keeper of The Balance

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 05:00:35 AM »

Mr. Snow,
While I stand by some of what I have said, I am mortified to discover I misread some of your rules. My apologies sir, please forgive my hastiness. While I do feel somethings I have said are relevant, much of it is based on my own misreading of a violation in your rules regarding sweeps and full attacks below the knee(not waist as I read it). This is my fault and my mistake. With the utmost respect and humbleness I do apologize. Im an idiot lol. please forgive me.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: