• Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Travel  (Read 1100 times)
brad81380
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 2

« on: July 21, 2017, 07:29:07 AM »

I was wondering how everyone transports their saber when they need to take it with them when flying.  The hilt, obviously, will be fine(more so than my studio mic which looks just like an incendiary device with a speaker attached....thanks Blue Mics), but outside of a 24 inch blade, how do you transport your blades.  I will be flying Frontier to a costumed event, and it would probably be a good idea to take a blade with me, just in case anyone wants to see it lit up.  I just got my first saber today and have to figure out everything very quickly.  Don't want to pay for extra luggage if I don't have to, since I am already having to check a bag.

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 01:53:23 AM »

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=34847.0

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=26434.0

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=29868.0

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=30407.0

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

Deep
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 700

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 05:07:25 PM »

I was wondering how everyone transports their saber when they need to take it with them when flying.  The hilt, obviously, will be fine(more so than my studio mic which looks just like an incendiary device with a speaker attached....thanks Blue Mics), but outside of a 24 inch blade, how do you transport your blades.  I will be flying Frontier to a costumed event, and it would probably be a good idea to take a blade with me, just in case anyone wants to see it lit up.  I just got my first saber today and have to figure out everything very quickly.  Don't want to pay for extra luggage if I don't have to, since I am already having to check a bag.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/light-saber

Emory "Deep" Harris
www.ultrasabers.com

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 05:28:05 PM »

Well hilts also bear a striking resemblance to the tubular incendiary devices, so............

Thanks for the link, but says "toy". I'm not entirely convinced that they will consider an aluminum tube much of a toy, no matter how finely machined. Grin

I've considered 2 options for dealing with sabers and airlines:

1) Ask. It never hurts. Spell out what your are intending to the airline, and they might be accommodating to your needs. Offer to let them inspect it, and possibly secure it for the flight. I have found asking questions and keeping a flexible mindset opens countless doors. I've also found that although rules aren't necessarily for breaking, just keeping people from making wrong assumptions.

2) If you end up dealing with one of those Commie airlines that won't tolerate leggings, preemptively request if the address you will be staying at will accept and hold a package until your arrival. Then ship your sabers to your intended destination. Yes the cost might be way more than you wanted to deal with, but how bad do you want a saber with you?

If neither of these works, drive or accept defeat. Undecided

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Deep
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 700

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 05:36:09 PM »

Well hilts also bear a striking resemblance to the tubular incendiary devices, so............
Thanks for the link, but says "toy". I'm not entirely convinced that they will consider an aluminum tube much of a toy, no matter how finely machined. Grin

I've considered 2 options for dealing with sabers and airlines:

1) Ask. It never hurts. Spell out what your are intending to the airline, and they might be accommodating to your needs. Offer to let them inspect it, and possibly secure it for the flight. I have found asking questions and keeping a flexible mindset opens countless doors. I've also found that although rules aren't necessarily for breaking, just keeping people from making wrong assumptions.

2) If you end up dealing with one of those Commie airlines that won't tolerate leggings, preemptively request if the address you will be staying at will accept and hold a package until your arrival. Then ship your sabers to your intended destination. Yes the cost might be way more than you wanted to deal with, but how bad do you want a saber with you?

If neither of these works, drive or accept defeat. Undecided

I'll be a bit more clear then.  You can take your Ultrasaber on the plane in your carry on or you can check it. 

Emory "Deep" Harris
www.ultrasabers.com

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 05:39:43 PM »

I'll be a bit more clear then.  You can take your Ultrasaber on the plane in your carry on or you can check it. 
Sweet. Will they allow blades to be carried on as well? I have a bag that has elastic loops on the side that seem to be purpose built to carry saber blades. It is what I usually transport my costume in when travelling. I just haven't flown with it yet.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

brad81380
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 2

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 11:39:53 PM »

These lightsabers are essentially maglites with a tube attached, so it's proving it to security.  My studio equipment is more complicated than a lightsaber at least, so it does make me a little more prepared.  Can't really drive without a license though.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: