Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Clone Wars Jedi Holocron  (Read 6125 times)
Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« on: July 29, 2017, 10:20:48 PM »

So after slowly making my way through watching the Clone Wars I thought I'd like to make one of those nifty Holocrons from the series. It's currently a WIP but coming along nicely.

<a href="http://imgbox.com/UIU59N2p" target="_blank">image host[/url]

Super cool, easy, and inexpensive to make as well. I suppose I could post up a small tutorial after I complete it, like I said so easy to make.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 12:38:05 AM »

Look to be off to an excellent start there

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 02:37:22 AM »

I see art pieces like these and REALLY wish I was creative  Wink

Great job Saso^^

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 02:54:19 AM »

Thanks to you both, I appreciate it. Unlike the Sith Holocrons these aren't too difficult to make because the cube base is pre-made.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2027

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 04:09:21 AM »

Nice. I just talked to my brother about a Sith holocron idea build, like, on the 3 edges, have like an extra inner plate thing so you can have 3 extra leds on the side edges so it glows brighter. I might try and pull this one off. Where did you get this from and do they have Sith holocron kits too? So like, they'll be a shelf like thing under the 3 edges then the main led in the center of the base. I think that'll look sick Tongue

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG,
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 07:17:30 PM »

Nice. I just talked to my brother about a Sith holocron idea build, like, on the 3 edges, have like an extra inner plate thing so you can have 3 extra leds on the side edges so it glows brighter. I might try and pull this one off. Where did you get this from and do they have Sith holocron kits too? So like, they'll be a shelf like thing under the 3 edges then the main led in the center of the base. I think that'll look sick Tongue

I'm pleased that you thought it was a kit but this is just being made from scratch with several supplies I had on hand. Here's a brief rundown of what is there.

-Baseball display cube (4 inch cube)
-Craft foam painted gold that you get at any craft store for the sides
-Blue transparent film which is a file folder cut into squares (really optional since the LEDs are blue as well)
-4 blue floral LEDs from a craft store, 4 is a bit overkill but if you want it super bright then that is the way to go
-Either glazing spray or some sandpaper to make the cube more opaque, even balled up wax paper in the middle of the cube works better than it sounds

That's essentially it, I'll definitely post a few images as a sort of tutorial when I get it completed. Definitely much, much cheaper than some of those Holocron kits online. I mean, yikes, you could get a fully functional Ultrasaber for the price of some of those kits.

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 04:36:00 AM »

I was thinking about what you said regarding a Sith Holocron Zren and and I figured why not cut out some craft foam and see how to put one together. Here's the progress thus far...

image host

As you can see it's still a bit... hollow lol. The 4-sided triangle is certainly more complex than the Jedi Holocron's cube design. I'm thinking maybe plexiglass or something strong yet transparent for the Red LEDs to shine through. Oh well... another prototype to iron the kinks out of.  Undecided

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 02:31:43 AM »

That has promise, certainly

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 06:54:51 AM »

image host

Wow Saso, that is an awesome looking prototype for a Sith Holocron; you just might be cornering a lucrative niche market  Wink

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

sedstiskyfaller
Artisan of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 617

Blue is my color, it is who I am

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 04:11:22 PM »

Looks nice so far! Excited to see the finished product  Smiley

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2017, 05:18:52 AM »

Voila! It is finally completed. As promised I will be posting up pretty soon a brief picture tutorial on how to make it. Sith Holocron is next of course.  Grin

Of course here is the money shot, one thing to fix is how the light shines through a little on the seams but it's easy enough to remedy.

It is strangely hypnotic to look at. I can just imagine Jedi masters of old getting totally engulfed in the Force from staring too long into its essence.  Wink

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2017, 05:27:46 AM »

Ooh, that is beautiful. Strangely Hypnotic is correct. Looks like the real thing.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2017, 11:40:21 AM »

I have to agree with TR and Saso: "strangely hypnotic" indeed  Wink

But let us not forget "beautiful!" Outstanding work Saso!

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2017, 07:33:56 PM »

Annddd here we go. What follows below is a picture tutorial on how to construct the Jedi Holocron that I've shown in the pictures so far. We'll start with what supplies you need to get started.

-Baseball display cube (4 inch cube), you can get these online relatively inexpensively and they are pretty much essential to making this prop

-Craft foam painted gold that you get at any craft store for the sides, 2mm foam to be specific and regular metallic gold acrylic paint

-Blue transparent film which is a file folder cut into squares (really optional since the LEDs are blue as well but it does add a cool look to it)

-4 blue floral LEDs from a craft store, 4 is a bit overkill but if you want it super bright then that is the way to go. Many craft stores have good coupons every week so take advantage of those. This particular 4-pack set of floral lights costs around $7-8 but I got them for $4 with a 50% off coupon. It pays to check, trust me.

-Either glazing spray or some sandpaper to make the cube more opaque, even balled up wax paper in the middle of the cube works better than it sounds.

Here are the 3 main ways that you can help make your cube more opaque. Sand paper can be used to rough up the sides, glazing spray can be used to give it a nice look, or you can ignore both of those ways and just go with the wax paper inside the cube route (that is what I ended up doing.) Note that the cube in this photo is not the one I ended up using for the finished product, I had a brand new clear cube that I decided to use instead.

Now starts the more time consuming portion of this prop... cutting out and painting the sides. I freehanded the design from looking at an image of the Holocron on the Clone Wars show. It isn't 100% identical to the one on the cartoon but it is a very close relative. The far left is a cardboard template that is used to trace onto the foam to make sure every piece is the same. The middle is obviously unpainted foam and the far right is a completed piece. Painting can drive you nuts after a while because every edge and surface will need at least 3 coats of gold paint, possibly more. You can cut back on this a little by sealing the foam with white glue first. Then the paint won't soak into the foam as much.

The blue sides are an old blue file folder that I cut up. You can usually find something similar at a department store in the stationary section. As long as it is blue and partially see-through it will work here. In this picture I am making sure that the blue square and foam pieces match up well with the sides of the cube. If you are making this then you will notice how the cube slides together and that you won't be able to glue the entire side onto the cube because it needs to slide apart. Just glue everything you can and check routinely by sliding it apart to make sure everything lines up correctly.

Nothing fancy here, I used white glue and a chisel brush to smooth the glue over the sides of the cube and stuck the blue pieces on. Watch out for major air bubbles but you'll probably get a few small imperfections which is ok. Once this baby is lit up there is no way you are going to see them.

To glue on the gold pieces I used white glue that is a little thicker than the regular kind and is super tacky. I just painted it onto the foam with a paint brush to make sure it didn't run and carefully set the pieces onto the cube. You have some time before it sets so you can scoot the piece around to get the perfect spot before letting it dry. As always, it dries clear so don't worry about that too much.

LEDs are incoming. As I mentioned above these are floral LEDs and I glazed the domes a little with glazing spray to diffuse the light further (the wax paper does a better job).

Using some wax paper just ball up the LEDs inside and then fit it into your cube. This takes a little practice but you'll get it after a few tries. The wax paper gives the inside an amazing look because the folds of the paper catching the light makes it look like actual material moving around. It's hard to describe but the effect is pretty awesome.

That's it, please let me know if any of you out there decide to make one and I would LOVE to see pictures if you make on yourself. A word of warning, bounty hunter Cad Bane steals Holocrons, don't let him steal yours...

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2017, 07:41:29 PM »

I have to agree with TR and Saso: "strangely hypnotic" indeed  Wink

But let us not forget "beautiful!" Outstanding work Saso!

I appreciate that Dutchman, thank you so much!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: