Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Prizm sound board questions.  (Read 1098 times)
Odium_Hector
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 0

« on: August 05, 2017, 03:29:54 PM »

I'm planning to build a pair of custom sabers using the Prizm sound board.  This is the 1st time I've ever done anything like this so I'm trying to get as much information as I can before I start buying components.  A friend of mine with a lot of experience in wiring circuitry is helping me, but he doesn't have experience with this particular type of technology.  So if anyone else has experience with this, we'd love the extra input!

Here's a list of what features each saber will have:

Jedi sound bank with Jedi sound font, green blade color, and yellow FoC.
Sith sound bank with Sith sound font, red blade color, and yellow FoC.
Blaster deflection sounds triggered by secondary A/V switch (single, quick press).
Blade lockup sound triggered by main A/V switch (like Ultra Sabers products) or by secondary A/V switch (holding down).
Power indicator using an illuminated A/V switch and/or accent LED (lights up when kill key/charging port charger is removed).
Power on indicator using an illuminated A/V switch and/or accent LED (lights up when saber is activated).
Crystal chamber that lights up with saber is activated.
Illuminated pommel crystal.

Here are the questions I have at this point that he isn't 100% sure of either:

1. The Prizm manual has conflicting information on a power source.  The Introduction has a yellow highlighted section that says this board is, "...designed to run exclusively on a single li-ion cell (3.7V)." 
The Prizm Features & Maximum Ratings section says, "...SINGLE li-ion cells..."
However, the Wiring and Operating the Module section mentions using, "...li-ion battery packs made of 14500 18650 cells..."
My friend has advised me to go with the 18650 as it has triple the lifetim of the 14500, and it appears to handle more current so there's less risk of explosion.  However, we aren't sure if we'll need more than 1 cell to power everything for a decent amount of time.  He says that if we use more than 1 cell, then they should be wired in parallel and not series.  So does anyone have experience in successfully wiring multiple cells in parallel with this sound board, or will a single cell be enough for all of this?

2. To achieve the aforementioned blade color schemes would it be easier (better on the power supply) to get an LED module with a green, red, and yellow LEDs pre-installed so that each sound bank only ever uses 2 LEDs?  Or should we get a module with red, green, and blue LEDs, which we then program the color schemes (manual section Profiles vs. Standard Blade Color Definition)?
My friend says we can probably make it work either way.  He's worked with incandescent light and filter gels but never anything as narrow-bandwidth as LEDs.

Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 03:25:11 AM »

That's sounds like a great project, however that is a board not owned by US and probably will be frowned upon being discussed on this forum. This is a Ultrasabers Forum and discussion should be reserved for US products. TCSS parts are okay to be discussed is my understanding as long as they are incorporated on a US hilt.

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

Darth Xocni
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -48

The Dark Side gives me strength

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 11:14:48 AM »

Quick google search indicates the Prizm is sold by TCSS and a few others.

Nwûl tash.
Dzwol shâsotkun.
Shâsotjontû châtsatul nu tyûk.
Tyûkjontû châtsatul nu midwan.
Midwanjontû châtsatul nu asha.
Ashajontû kotswinot itsu nuyak.
Wonoksh Qyâsik nun.

"Failure and disobedience are one and the same... In the Sith tongue both translate as "treason". That is the wisdom of the ancients!"

Initiate LE V2 "Justice" - GB UEMG
Overlord "Ari iv Azinimas" - BR UEHG Obsidian V4

Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 02:32:42 PM »

Quick google search indicates the Prizm is sold by TCSS and a few others.

True, but it's a touchy area and I see no mention of US. Are you modifying a US hilt?

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 02:57:07 PM »

Seth is right, UltraSabers doesn't like discussions of non US parts that they make equivalents of.  They make and sell sound boards, so mentioning others is like mentioning a rival saber manufacturer.  Besides which, there are probably better places to ask for help with that board.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 07:51:06 PM »

Locking this thread, as it concerns references to potential competitors.  I'll PM you to explain, Odium_Hector.

Odium_Hector
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 04:47:35 AM »

Here's my previous post about using US hilts for this project.

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=35108.0

Also, I still can not get anyone from US to answer me about hilts with no switch holes drilled into them so that I can drill them myself where I want them.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: