Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Hello from Scotland, UK  (Read 1751 times)
c3p-oates
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 16

You may not recognize me because of the tartan arm

« on: August 08, 2017, 10:09:38 PM »

Hi Folks!

Many thanks for having me here on your excellent forum. I joined a couple of weeks ago and have been reading  nonstop. I am flabbergasted at not just the quantity but also the quality of information here. It's an absolute goldmine!

Long story - My friend likes playing games. He asked me when I turned 21 if I wanted a slab of beer (as he was a financially challenged student) or did I want to wait until my 40th and he'd buy me 'something amazing'. 19 years later I find $400 transferred into my account on the condition that I go to ultrasabers.com and buy a lightsaber. Best birthday ever!

His partner has a very nice little collection already so I was aware that it was possible to own a real saber. Unfortunately I have never managed to do things by halves. Hobbies become all consuming to the extent that I try and avoid doing anything new that will impact on my bank account, career or family life (exhibit A, your honor: my video gaming history). Now that my kids are a wee bit older and the green light on buying a saber has been given I feel OK about dipping my toe in the water so to speak.

I placed my first order a few days ago. I went for the Guardian in the end. I had initially hoped to look on the site and whittle it down to 1. In the end I gave up and just made a list that I'll work through, starting with said Guardian. With this being the first it will be polished and loved and then polished and loved some more. However the more I have explored the world of sabers the more I am drawn to the weathered look. I'm already planning the next saber (or 2) and will be experimenting with creating a more lived in feel to my future collection. I have been inspired, truly inspired by some of the work on here. This community is full of genuine artists. If I can even become half the craftsman that some members already are I would be happy.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you all again. Thanks for contributing, thanks for sharing creations, thanks for the advice, thanks for the humour. Thanks for forming a vibrant, lively community that has shown me that the fun doesn't stop when you buy your 1st saber. For once I've fallen down a rabbit hole that I'd be happy not to get out of.

Thank you especially to Ultra Sabers themselves. I'm sure it takes a very special kind of crazy to stand up and say "I think I'll start a business making light sabers" and then to actually make that work. This forum and it's ethos is a credit to you and I daresay a reflection of your own passions. Finally thank you to Emory who contacted me to let me know that I hadn't included my forum name in my order so was about to miss out on being entered into the summer raffle. I'm putting that down to excitement on the day I completed the order form. To then find out that I'm in a raffle with the chance of winning even more saberage...I must be dreaming!

I feel a little giddy. Excuse me while I go for a lie down!

Short story - Placed my first order. This isn't going to end well!  Smiley

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1557

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 12:02:31 AM »

Hello c3p-oates,

You have recently celebrated your Fortieth huh? Funny that, that's how I got my Jedi name..For Tyeth!
Anyway welcome to the forum and congratulations on having a very charitable friend. The Guardian is a real nice canon hilt from what I  have seen and I'm sure you'll love it.

Good luck in the raffle, though by the sounds of  your story you don't need much more luck!

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2130

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 01:05:16 AM »

Welcome!

Thats an awesome story! Your friend a a good guy/gal for following through on that promise and getting you stated on a great hobby. I agree that most everyone on the forum as well as at US are fantastic people and full of helpful knowledge. Enjoy the Guardian when it arrives  Grin

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

Lord Raváge
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1453

Ki tsimsima tuti mazo Galactic, Nu qorit dudnims!

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 01:12:11 AM »

Labintias sulig tave Jen' Garthaz iv SoCal, bustas iv tave Tsis!!! Cool
(Greetings from the Dark Side of SoCal, domicile of the Sith)

Ilsir geuj ne fanvake narys stai su zo plethora iv neyasli varsi ir uverei. Dary nenx dvejoti kia uzpra jok falykas j'us galez zinot ir kaiefas valia cali ax sorms j'us is tave status direction.
(There are so many helpful members here with a plethora of varied experience and opinions. Don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have and someone will answer or point you in the right direction.)

Zhelosa kia tu'iea kitok addiction! Grin
(Welcome to your new addiction!)

Galez Akuyi Buti Su J'us!
(May The Force Be With You!)

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 02:06:12 AM »

Welcome to the addiction.

Ah, 40. It seems such a short time ago. Has it really been 10 years?

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 11:54:25 AM »

Hello and welcome  Smiley

First off: that was a wonderful anecdote^^  Excellent choice for your first saber purchase!  Last (but certainly not least) we should all be so lucky to have such a great friend  Wink  Congratulations again C3  Cheesy

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 02:37:50 PM »

Hi Folks!

Many thanks for having me here on your excellent forum. I joined a couple of weeks ago and have been reading  nonstop. I am flabbergasted at not just the quantity but also the quality of information here. It's an absolute goldmine!

Long story - My friend likes playing games. He asked me when I turned 21 if I wanted a slab of beer (as he was a financially challenged student) or did I want to wait until my 40th and he'd buy me 'something amazing'. 19 years later I find $400 transferred into my account on the condition that I go to ultrasabers.com and buy a lightsaber. Best birthday ever!

His partner has a very nice little collection already so I was aware that it was possible to own a real saber. Unfortunately I have never managed to do things by halves. Hobbies become all consuming to the extent that I try and avoid doing anything new that will impact on my bank account, career or family life (exhibit A, your honor: my video gaming history). Now that my kids are a wee bit older and the green light on buying a saber has been given I feel OK about dipping my toe in the water so to speak.

I placed my first order a few days ago. I went for the Guardian in the end. I had initially hoped to look on the site and whittle it down to 1. In the end I gave up and just made a list that I'll work through, starting with said Guardian. With this being the first it will be polished and loved and then polished and loved some more. However the more I have explored the world of sabers the more I am drawn to the weathered look. I'm already planning the next saber (or 2) and will be experimenting with creating a more lived in feel to my future collection. I have been inspired, truly inspired by some of the work on here. This community is full of genuine artists. If I can even become half the craftsman that some members already are I would be happy.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you all again. Thanks for contributing, thanks for sharing creations, thanks for the advice, thanks for the humour. Thanks for forming a vibrant, lively community that has shown me that the fun doesn't stop when you buy your 1st saber. For once I've fallen down a rabbit hole that I'd be happy not to get out of.

Thank you especially to Ultra Sabers themselves. I'm sure it takes a very special kind of crazy to stand up and say "I think I'll start a business making light sabers" and then to actually make that work. This forum and it's ethos is a credit to you and I daresay a reflection of your own passions. Finally thank you to Emory who contacted me to let me know that I hadn't included my forum name in my order so was about to miss out on being entered into the summer raffle. I'm putting that down to excitement on the day I completed the order form. To then find out that I'm in a raffle with the chance of winning even more saberage...I must be dreaming!

I feel a little giddy. Excuse me while I go for a lie down!

Short story - Placed my first order. This isn't going to end well!  Smiley
WOW! I wish I had friends that cool. Be warned, it always starts off with the idea "I'm only going to get one." HA! I purchased 5 in the first five months, and had 10 after the first year. It has since declined, but the want is still very much there. So tread with caution in your ventures into your new obsession. It is very easy to spend a small fortune in a short time.

Welcome to the forum.

BTW, how do we award points to a droid?

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

skullsquadronx
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -183

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 07:05:23 PM »

Hello c3p-oates and Welcome to the Saber Forum family, from Northeast Pennsylvania.

11/15 (2)Ravens SS VA (ED&O4) 12/15 Mantis ce AB (ED&O4) 06/16 Flamberge v2 AS (ED&O4) 06/16 Initiate v4 CG 07/16 Mantis ce AB (ED&O4) 07/16 D Initiate v4 AB 09/16 Archon v3 EG (ED&O4) 09/16 Initiate le v2 CG 09/16 D Apprentice le v4 FO 09/16 Dominix v4 GB 10/16 Electrum Wind DVA (ED&O4) 10/16 Standard Issue Battle Saber v3 GB 10/16 Aeon v3 AB 11/16 Aeon v4 AB 04/17 Emperor's Hand DVA (DC) 04/17 Dark Standard Issue Battle Saber tri CG & O litell 04/17 Initiate le v2 GB

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 08:50:59 PM »

Welcome! Awesome story, and awesome first purchase Smiley Enjoy your lightsabre!

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

c3p-oates
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 02:55:02 PM »

Thanks all for such a warm welcome.

To everyone saying I have a great friend I couldn't agree more. I'm very lucky that our paths crossed, fate was smiling on me that day. It could have been very different...I tried to hold a door open for him but the fire-door swing arm thing was real strong, I only had the door by my finger tips and from his side it looked like I'd slammed it in his face. He still casts it up to me now and then lol.

You have recently celebrated your Fortieth huh? Funny that, that's how I got my Jedi name..For Tyeth!

That's an excellent way to get a Jedi name. I should have thought more Jedi-ish. Having said that maybe I need a saber first.

"Officer I'm a Jedi I swear...my saber? It's err...in the post!"

BTW, how do we award points to a droid?

I guess I'd settle for one of those big warm oil baths  Smiley

While I'm here are there any other Scottish dudes on the forum? Apart from Ewan McG is there such a thing as a Scots Jedi? It'd be interesting to see what kind of modifications could be done to create a Scottish themed hilt. I've so many ideas floating around I want to try first but if I run out of good ones I'll show you a tartan saber. Actually that came out a wee bit wrong.  Shocked

If I'm the only Scottish guy here I invite you to read my posts in Sean Connery's voice lol.

Thanksh again. I'll shee you all out there.

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1557

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 03:09:56 PM »

That's an excellent way to get a Jedi name. I should have thought more Jedi-ish. Having said that maybe I need a saber first.

"Officer I'm a Jedi I swear...my saber? It's err...in the post!"

I guess I'd settle for one of those big warm oil baths  Smiley

Thanks and may I suggest a Force point/reward system for you? Please accept this Force point as a voucher for the Droid Day Spa where you can soak in oil to your droid heart's content!

See you around the forum,
For

Foilfencer
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 2

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 09:34:21 PM »

Greetings c3p-oates, probably from not too far far away from the Kingdom of Fife.
Slightly your senior and turning 43 later this year, I started on this path during the Spring Raffle, supposedly just buying a lightsaber for my daughter. We were lucky enough to win a Guardian in that raffle. Great Saber.

And like yourselves I can be a tad consumed with hobbies lol, and with the friendly reminding nudge from US about the Summer Raffle I now find myself waiting on a delivery of 4 Mystery Boxes.

Doomed I tell you, but can't wait to see what we get.

So what's the next purchase?

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2017, 05:39:25 AM »

Welcome. I've seen you around, but hadn't had a chance to say hello.

Again, welcome.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

c3p-oates
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2017, 03:58:58 PM »

Greetings c3p-oates, probably from not too far far away from the Kingdom of Fife.
Slightly your senior and turning 43 later this year, I started on this path during the Spring Raffle, supposedly just buying a lightsaber for my daughter. We were lucky enough to win a Guardian in that raffle. Great Saber.

And like yourselves I can be a tad consumed with hobbies lol, and with the friendly reminding nudge from US about the Summer Raffle I now find myself waiting on a delivery of 4 Mystery Boxes.

Doomed I tell you, but can't wait to see what we get.

So what's the next purchase?

Hey! Nice to see I'm not the only nut round these parts. There's something quite reassuring about that. And the 4 mystery boxes thing has slowed the shaking of my own missus head slightly. If you're gonna look bad do it next to someone who looks really bad lol.

Glad to hear you liked the Guardian. I think some of your luck may have rubbed off onto me, I just won second prize in the draw! I'm over the moon regardless of what comes of it but I'm imagining the Ewan McGregor and the Alec Guinness hanging side by side. That'd be a sight!

As for my next purchase I wasn't sure to start with and this has thrown me right off. The Emperors Hand is an impressive beast, and of course there's the Chosen One/Graflex...I'll require both at some point before I die. The Menace is hot stuff and I'm developing feelings for the Manticore. I'm not sold on the sabers with protrusions ie the Reaper, still undecided on the azures and crimsons also. Dunno if that makes me boring or not. I prefer the word OldSkool, heh.

As you can see, I'm in complete agreement with you...DOOMED!!!

Foilfencer
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 2

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2017, 05:09:59 PM »

Congratulations on your Second Place Prize, that's what we won in the Spring Raffle, unfortunately I was surely cursed this time.
Your taste in Lightsabers is commendable sir, the Manticore is the hilt I've wanted since we stumbled across US,  and the Graflex and the Chosen One are others I will own - obviously after receiving approval.
Trust me I was forgiven for one order to enter the raffle, but the second order... Well I've a lot of chores to get on with lol.
I also must say I'm used to this shaking head you talk of, the better half caught me looking at Jedi robes the other day. It wasn't a complete No, just a "not this month you don't". So there may still be hope.

I'm not too bad as I don't stand alone, I've got my second youngest daughter who's Star Wars mad on my side.

I'll be posting pics of our collection once they all arrive, look forward to seeing your raffle prize.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: