Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
Author Topic: We are Gray...  (Read 23196 times)
Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« on: August 11, 2017, 07:58:17 PM »

Before I start: I've long been fascinated with the "gray" Jedi.  I may not be in-line with canon, but I wanted to lay out the "rules" as it were that I am using to write what follows.
First, I am looking at the force as a natural phenomenon, not unlike gravity, something we see the effects of and can even manipulate and use to some extent, but not really definable or visible in any real way.
Second, I am writing about characters that view Jedi and Sith as, well, idolaters.  They see both as groups that have personified and deified what is essentially a natural phenomenon. 
Third, I am writing in a time after Order 66 was implemented and before Return of the Jedi.  Beyond that...  ?  Yeah.  I don't have the extensive knowledge of the Star Wars universe I really need to do a really good fanfic, so please forgive continuity errors that might crop up.   I will endeavor to make all people and places totally unrelated to anything that has appeared in canon.
So, with that ... enjoy!

As soon as we broke through the door and charged into the warehouse, we knew we were in trouble.  The sense of the dark twisting through the space was ... sickening.  It dimmed the harmony and blunted the clear melody that sang through us.  That alone was bad.  But then the blades began to appear.

One.  Two.  Three.  Four...  FIVE!?!

I looked over an Arnor.  A glance, nothing more.  Like me, her hands were white-knuckled on her saber hilt.  The ... sith?  What were they?  I shook off the question.  It didn't matter at the moment.  Right now there was only survival or death.  We moved together, back-to-back but spaced far enough that we both had sufficient fighting room.  Our opponents slowly emerged from the shadows, still cloaked. 

"You are foolish to enter, Jedi.  Death awaits you here." croaked the one directly across from Arnor.  "The crystals are ours.  Did you not think we would fight for them?  You will not escape."

Crystals?  What was he talking about?  We were just looking for a way out...

There was another flare in the force, from above.  Melody and Harmony together, singing to me.  Even as I felt it I saw the path and merged my own melody to the newcomers: Counter-point in fugue, working together to reinforce rather than destroy the Melody.  As Master Chillum had taught us - the Jedi were arrogant and mistaken in their mis-guided worship of the force, but at least they heard the music.  The Sith were nothing but chaos and dischord.  We might not agree, but at least with the Jedi we could sing!

Arnor was already moving, vaulting over the ring of Sith (or whoever they were) to reach a better position.  The ring was falling apart as two more Jedi, blue blades already ablaze, landed to my left and front.  My own blade ignited in my hand as I followed Arnor and vaulted out of the circle.  I parried a strike from the sith before me, yellow flashing against red, and joined the duel.

And as always happened in battle, my heart began to sing. 

Song?  Even now, years after beginning my training with Master Chillum, it still amazed me.  How could something so vile as combat fill me with music?  It had taken me far to long to realize that the music was, in my mind, the force itself.  Master Chillum had fleshed the analogy out for me when I had finally found the courage to ask him about it.  The force was like music.  Music, when properly crafted and employed, is beautiful, a construct of melody, harmony and rhythm that reinforces itself.  Choose the wrong notes, the wrong path, and the harmony breaks down, the melody falters, the rhythm is lost.  But choose the right path, the right notes, and the melody soars, the harmony resonates and the rhythm thrives.  But there is no set right or wrong, specifically.  Two artists may start at the same point and find two totally different pathways, both of which will sing, both of which were "right", but which were in the end totally different from each other.  However, there was right and wrong.  Pick the wrong path, and the result was chaos, pain, confusion and death for the melody.  The trick was learning the principles that defined what was right and wrong.

And so, for years, training had been more like a theological debate as Master Chillum taught us the Source of morality, how to define good and evil, right and wrong, and then finally how to apply that to the use of the force, to what he called the Great Song.

And now, as my blade again engaged evil, my heart sang in harmony with my blade.

The man before me (I could now see that he was in fact a man) had only hate.  His eyes were yellow, the sign of one who embraced the Idol of Evil and sought only the hard rhythm of power.  I could feel the drumbeat hammering through him, his style a hard form of Niman as he rained blows on me.  My own flow faltered slightly, but my mind found the trace of the melody and as it usually went I was suddenly calm, the tune open before me, locked in step with Arnor, the two strangers weaving through our harmony in a complex counterpoint of their own.  My blade flashed through the arcs of Sorensu, my own prefrence for Niman subsumed by the Melody of the fight, and I parried blow after blow, always edgeing, always turning slightly, working my opponent toward...

There!  The melody soared and the drumbeat of my opponent suddenly merged with it.   He was furious, his rage rising, and his blows landed harder and harder until I sensed the moment.  The red blade swept down in a massive blow, all of the power of the darkness behind it, a bid to break my own blade or force me down ... and I simply wasn't there.  With a deft move I spun away, to the side, my own blade sweeping in a graceful double arc around me.  The sith had over-committed, and his attempt at a parry was late, resulting in the first sweep severing his sword arm above his elbow.  The second, fatal blow separated his head from his shoulders immediately afterward.

The fight was not over, however.  One of the Jedi was sorely pressed, with two opponents.  His blade moved furiously but he was losing ground steadily.  I could sense that Arnor was nearing the climax of her own melody, her own pure Sorensu driving her opponent to distraction in much the same way mine had, with a similar crescendo approaching.  My path was now with the counter-point.  I vaulted across the room, landing just behind the pair of sith.  A low sweep caught the blade arm of one just at the end of his own long, sweeping strike, severing his hand and disabling his saber in one stroke.  His companion turned and launched a blow at me, which I caught on my own blade.  My block held but the power of that blow staggered me.  I had not sensed how strongly the chaos flowed through this one!  How had I missed it?  And then I realized why: He was also singing.  His own melody was weaving around our counterpoint, opposing it, creating discord, but also strangely in focus none-the-less.  But as the powerful blow landed and drove me to my knees the melody shifted and his focused discord became pure chaos, just before the Jedi blade swept up, severing the Sith's arm at the elbow, then back down, taking his life.

I watched the saber before me fall from the lifeless hand, and reached out.  I felt the melody climax again as I caught the weapon.  It was important.  I did not know why, but these things tended to reveal themselves.  I tucked the saber away and turned to see a proffered hand.  "Thank you, friend."

I took it, rising.  "No, thank you."  I turned to Arnor standing over her opponent, the end of her duel mirroring my own first fight.  The second Jedi, a young man with the long braid of a padawan, was also standing over his opponent.  He was not, however, uninjured.  The senior Jedi was already moving toward him, withdrawing a medical kit.  "Do you require medical assistance?"

The Jedi reached his padawan, who was also looking at the saber burn on his arm.  "Its not deep, Master, just a graze.  My block was a tad slow, I'm afraid."

"So it was.  Here, apply antiseptic and a dressing.  We don't want it to become infected."  The Jedi turned back.  "I am Master Jokan, this is my padawan Illian.  I do not recognize you, are you part of the new Jedi Order?"

Arnor drifted back to my side, cutting a nervous glance my way, but while the counter-point was fading it was not falling into opposition or chaos, just settling into a peaceful harmony.  "We are not.  Our Master, Chillum, was long the guardian of this planet and has taught us the way of the force, but we are not Jedi."

"We are Gray."

More to come!

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 06:24:14 PM »

I like (and indeed enjoyed) this.  Interesting conceptualization of the Force (one I would never have thought of  Wink).  I like how your interpretation is less esoteric, more naturalism.  In fact, I felt you kept the mysticism of the Force while making it relatable^^  Arguably, the balance between serenity and passion...which is--and correct me if I am wrong--the spirit of Gray Jedi.  I would have to agree that both Jedi and Sith philosophies can be dogmatic (then again, any ideology can  Wink) and feel that Gray Jedi can span the disparities.  Of course, orders are made of individuals, and each person runs the gamut between tolerance, hate, passion, apathy, etc. 
Heh, sorry for that tangent; I am really looking forward to reading more Grin.  Thanks for sharing Karmack^^

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 04:24:55 AM »

Thanks Dutchman!  Hopefully I can bring you more soon, but I just lost a very long (and I thought good) second installment because i took to long to post.  :-(   So I will try to recreate and post again, but I don't have time right now!

Stay tuned!

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 06:41:29 AM »

Thanks Dutchman!  Hopefully I can bring you more soon, but I just lost a very long (and I thought good) second installment because i took to long to post.  :-(   So I will try to recreate and post again, but I don't have time right now!

Stay tuned!

Like TD said, great job. I really like the idea of music. I play the Violin, so this is something that I can really connect with and understand. Also it's a very unique way of describing the Force. Can't wait for more. I would suggest that you type out your posts like this in a Word or Google Docs document so that it can be saved. Then copy and paste it into the Forum box. Can't wait for more, I'm interested to see where it leads.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 07:18:15 PM »

Thanks Taegin!  I think you'll like the next couple of installments, especially as you play violin.  Unfortunately, by "battle axe" is the Trombone...  ;-)
Soon! Hopefully today....

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 08:26:46 PM »

OK, installment two - take two ... and ... ACTION.

Well, ok, NOT action, but you get the idea.  :-)  Enjoy!

The deep rumble of the freighter's engines merged with the deep, quiet harmony of the force and I feel myself relaxing and reviving.  I had learned as a very young student that sleep was vital, but of even more importance was the deep refreshing that came from meditation.  Not on the force, but on the Singer who supplied the force with melody, harmony and rhythm.  "The Song of the Universe" Master Chillum had called Him.  "The One who supplied the Song, who was the Song.  He is worthy of worship, and Him alone."

And so for some time I sat still and my heart sang, and I was content.

For a time.

But now the background of the Song and the freighter became a bed on which the sharp counter-point of the Sith weapon played.  It was ... curious.  As I focused on it and sketched it, I realized that the song had changed.  The discord and disharmony were fading, as was the ferocious, overpowering rhythm of Fury.  In its place was emerging a pure, clear harmony, a tone that I had learned years ago to associate with an undisturbed and unharvested crystal.  It was as if the fury and evil of the Sith were simply draining away, leaving the crystal to return to its pure, unspoiled form.

I was fascinated, enraptured by the rapid and total healing.  So focused, in fact, that I didn't notice the Jedi padawan enter the room and sit until he spoke.

"The Sith weapon ... it calls to you?"

I blinked as my eyes opened and snapped into focus on the young man's curious expression.  It wasn't a large move, but one Arnor would have recognized as a shocked reaction none-the-less.  Illian also sensed my surprise, and was unable to control his own blush of embarrassment.  "My apologies, I did not mean to disturb you."

"No apology needed, Illian."  I looked down at the weapon, this time with open eyes, and was again caught up for a moment in the transformation in its song.  "It does indeed sing to me."

"Arnor also mentioned a Song.  I don't understand what you mean.  Do you sing to the Force?"

I felt the smile come unbidden to my face.  "No, Illian, we don't sing to the force.  We listen to it's song and we shape our own melodies to follow it's pattern, much as you do.  We follow it, but also shape it, much as a musician follows and leads within a musical performance."

"So its an analogy, a way of looking at the Force.  But Master said you consider us as idolators, that your philosophy sees us and the Sith as the same, yet you fought them and allied with us.  Why?"

"Because we don't see you and the Sith as the same." I replied, squelching my grin as the confusion blossomed on his face.  "The Sith worship power and embrace Evil.  They see no moral limit outside of what is beneficial to themselves and the increase in their personal power and ambition.  Some of those who follow the Sith way can display some virtues but they are always corrupted and warped by that basic, never-changing drive to achieve maximum power for themselves.  To them, the force is the source of that power.  They make it an idol and turn it into a God because they see it as the ultimate source of power and that is what they want for themselves.  Not so the Jedi.  The Jedi recognize evil and fight against it.  They embrace the good and seek to serve it.  But you are like the Sith in one way - you incorrectly see the force as the source of that good. In fact, you see it as the source of both good and evil, light and dark.  But it is not.  The force is just ... the force.  It is the song that binds the universe.  We all hear it to some extent, but the Master Musician has gifted some of us with the ability to not just hear the music but to understand it, to feel it, to use it and manipulate it and shape it.  Some who are so gifted decide to use their gift for themselves and follow evil, selfish motivations.  The Sith are of this group but hardly alone.  Even some Jedi fall into this trap, as do many so-called "gray Jedi" or simply 'Grays'.  Master Chillum taught both Arnor and I that the Source of Good and Evil is the same as the Source of the Song - the Maker of all.  He determines good and evil, right and wrong.  He has given us the rules of the music as a guide, and we do our best to shape our melodies and harmonies to follow His ideal of what makes beautiful music."

"So, you're singers singing along to the song already laid down?"

I nodded.  "Sort of.  More like a ... stage musician improving over a cord bed."

Illian shook his head.  "You lost me..."

"Better to stay lost, young padawan, than to let this heretic fill your head with nonsense." Master Jokan said from the doorway.  His light tone was gauged to avoid giving offense, but his intent was clear to his padawan.

"Excuse me, Master Karmack.  I have work to do."

I watched him leave, embarrassment again coloring his melody, then turned my attention to Master Jokan, who folded himself into a lotus across from me.  "My apologies.  I was not trying to ... proselytize."

Jothan waved his hand dismissively.  "No apology necessary.  Unlike some of my fellows I do not necessarily disagree with you, but I feel the ... greater structure of the Jedi order provides a safeguard for younglings who may struggle with their association with the Force.  My Master may disagree, but as far as I am concerned you are what you do, and in you and your apprentice I see those who fight for good and against evil.  That is enough for me."

"Thank you.  However, I need to clarify: Arnor is not my apprentice."

"Oh?  You two are so close, I assumed you were training her.  Is she in fact the Master?"

I smiled.  "No.  She is my wife."

I couldn't help it.  I wanted to shock him, and I did.  Jothan's eyes went wide for a moment.  "Wife?  How do you reconcile the emotional attachment?  How do you prevent the strong emotion from overpowering you?  Is it not dangerous to flirt so strongly with the dark side?"

I could feel the glitter in my own eyes as I answered.  "No, I find nothing but good in the harmony and counter-point of our relationship.  Arnor is friend, lover, companion and fellow warrior.  I think the core of your error, however, is in the concept of 'love'.  Love, my Jedi friend, is not an emotion.  It is a choice.  We love each other and that brings us to choose to coil our own song around the song of the other.  It is true that it opens us to the risk of loss, but it also enriches us and strengthens us in ways that are far more rewarding than any risk."

Jothan rocked back a moment, clearly considering and then rejecting my argument before letting a smile onto his own face.  "You are more of a heretic than I thought!  I will need to keep a close eye on Illiium while we're together."

I laughed.  "As you wish.  This, though, I think we can agree is both fascinating and troubling."  I held up the hilt I had taken from the Sith.  "What do you sense?"

I watched Jothan close his eyes and focus, listening to the song for himself.   After a few moments his eyes opened again.  "Amazing...  It feels identical to your personal weapon.  How can that be?"

"What?"  I had lifted my focus from the weapon while we spoke but I realized that even as we spoke the crystal had continued to change.  Its song had now morphed from the clear crystaline chimes it had displayed earlier and was now singing in counterpoint to ... me. 

I lifted the weapon and awe filled me.  The counterpoint was perfect.  I had searched for over two years for my crystal to build my saber, seeking for a crystal with the right harmony, the right balance, the right counter-point and fugue.  When I had found it I had still faced more years of training, learning its quirks and characteristics, its small foibles, the places where the harmony would waver slightly.  Like any instrument, it had its little flaws, but in the end we were one - maestro and instrument.

But this!  I stood and snapped on the blade, and what had been evil, malevolent red was now the same sun-bright yellow of my own hilt!  I shifted the sith blade to my opposite hand and took out my blade, igniting it as well, and felt the counterpoint and harmony of the blades soar.  I wanted to dance, to jump, to fly!

With effort I managed to force my soaring spirit back down a bit and damped both blades.  My eyes met the shocked eyes of the Jedi Master.  "Well.  That was ... interesting."

"The crystal ... imprinted on you.  Completely." 

"Yes.  And if they'll all do that..."  Our eyes met.

"I need to take this to our Council immediately.  Will you come?"

I listened to the harmony for a moment.  Our melodies were still intertwined, a bright path through dark and troubled waters.  "Yes, we will come."

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 01:55:56 AM »

You are correct. I loved this installment as well. Some of the aspects that you added here that were not mentioned in the first one make it all the more interesting to me. I also like how you incorporated current crystal canon into the story. The more I read, the more interested I am to see where this leads. Can't wait for more.

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 02:37:37 AM »

More. Please.  Grin

Again, your prose and narration is enthralling; I feel as if I just started reading only to read the final sentence!  Great writing, Karmack  Smiley
One point that really rings true IMO was your distinction between Love as attachment vs. enrichment; I have always felt that such purity would negate adverse ramifications.  One of the main failings of the Jedi was to relegate ALL love towards the "attachment" end of the spectrum.  I really like how you addressed this^^ 

TR is right: great job including the crystal canon.  Out of curiosity, why yellow?  Looking forward to your next installment!

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Greywolf
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 100

Grey all the way ;)

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 02:27:11 PM »

More. Please.  Grin

Seconded, keep up the good work Grin !

Cake is a lie. There are only Cookies.
Through Cookies I gain Chocolate.
Through Chocolate I gain Energy.
Through Energy I gain Weight.
Through Weight my pants will burst.
The Force shall free me.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 08:45:02 PM »

More. Please.  Grin

Again, your prose and narration is enthralling; I feel as if I just started reading only to read the final sentence!  Great writing, Karmack  Smiley
One point that really rings true IMO was your distinction between Love as attachment vs. enrichment; I have always felt that such purity would negate adverse ramifications.  One of the main failings of the Jedi was to relegate ALL love towards the "attachment" end of the spectrum.  I really like how you addressed this^^ 

TR is right: great job including the crystal canon.  Out of curiosity, why yellow?  Looking forward to your next installment!

Thanks guys!  The next installment is coming very soon, I just need to decide on a plot-point...

Why yellow?  That's a good question.  There are three reasons.
First, my very first light-saber was when I was a kid.  The Star Wars movies were brand-new, and my mom and dad bought it for me for Christmas.  It was a flash-light with a cone-shaped attachment that held on an inflatable blade made of plastic, very much like a beach ball.

And it was yellow.

So, my first saber was yellow.  It was non-cannon and not a licensed toy (there were no star-wars references, I think it was called a "light sword" or something like that" hence the at that time unknown color.
And I totally loved it.  Until the blade popped, anyway.  I think that happened on, oh, December 28th or so.  ;-) 

Current Ultrasaber blades are FAR more durable!  LOL

Second, when I was a wee bit older I became a fan of a show called "BibleMan".  Bible Man is a cheesy Batman knockoff, a man who fights evil using the power of the Word of God.  But you have to have action, so he had his "Sword of the Spirit".  Which was ...
you guessed it.  A yellow lightsaber!

Strike two.  LOL

Third, as I developed my own character identity for this forum and for writing stories, I always wanted my character to be a sentinel.  Specifically - fights evil and becomes intimately familiar with the force but doesn't just use it to be a super-ninja warrior.  Karmack is primarily a fixer.  He fixes things, or tries to do so.  The force sings through his life, acting as both guide and servant, and he sees it the way you or I might see something like a GPS roadmap on our smartphone.  It gives us directions, but sometimes we have to go off the selected path and then there's a recalculation - but we can always get back on track.  The Song is like that.  Sour notes happen.  We learn to move on and tune up.

Arnor represents my wife in the story.  In RL she is not a fell warrior but she is one of the most steadfast people I know and I love her to death.  Literally, should that need arise.  And, honestly, there is a touch of the subdued love story from the recent movie "Assassin's Creed".  And no, that was NOT foreshadowing!  LOL

As for blade color...  My primary "weapon" in RL is an Aeon V4 with windows that has an Obsidian 4 sound card and the Emerald Driver installed.  I have painted the grooves a very dark gray to give what I call the "reverse" LE look, and it has an Archon pommel, non-lit AV switch (silver) and a covertec wheel installed.  And right now it is a very bright, brilliant ...

sky blue.

Ha!  Surprise!  LOL

In all seriousness, I actually like the light blue color better, but I keep coming back to yellow.  I'll put this one back eventually as well.  :-) 

So, enjoy!  There's more to come.  There's a mystery to solve!

Oh, one other author's note:  This is the first time I've engaged a story writing in first person.  I didn't do it consciously, but I like it.  I hope it continues to flow well.  But if you notice a break in that narrative format, please forgive me.  :-)

Karmack

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 10:34:53 PM »

Heh, Bibleman.  I remember that.  Didn't Willie Aames come out in that?  I vaguely recall...something about that  Tongue 

I can definitely see the correlation between your character and a Jedi Sentinel.  I always liked the three main "sects" (or ideologies, if you prefer) of Jedi: Consular, Guardian, and Sentinel.  Pity that there wasn't more about that in the movies. 

I like the analogue between your in-story & RL wife (I can relate: my wife is the strongest person that I know as well  Wink).  Besides: I've always felt that the Jedi (or force-users) SHOULD be able to marry. 

I'm REALLY looking forward to your continued writing (I hope that you can continue this for as long as your passion holds  Grin).  Thanks again Karmack^^

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2017, 02:22:36 AM »

Cool, I like the yellow saber, it gives him a distinction from the rest of SW. Can't wait for more. After you finish the story, you should get LucasFilms' approval and get it published. Grin I'd buy it.

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2017, 03:19:52 AM »

Cool, I like the yellow saber, it gives him a distinction from the rest of SW. Can't wait for more. After you finish the story, you should get LucasFilms' approval and get it published. Grin I'd buy it.
QFT and seconded  Cheesy

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2017, 01:33:55 PM »

*blushes* Thanks guys...  :-)

I think I have the next few plot-points resolved.  We'll see, these things tend to take on a life of their own sometimes.  Stay tuned... 

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2017, 03:29:19 PM »

Our ship arrived at its original destination with out incident but travelling incognito and in secret can have its own problems.  In our case, four companions with a fairly large cargo crate that we wished NO ONE to inspect plus a collection of highly illegal weapons meant the judicious use of bribes, some gentle force-aided persuasion, and a careful search for the right freighter captain to take us on the next leg of our journey.

I had put the time to good use.

Jothan secured us access to a flight bay with attached quarters.  It was small and had obviously seen better days but it was close to everything, had its own landing and service bay and had a fully equipped machine shop.  And while the landing bay would be primarily useful for our eventual departure it also provided us with open ground in which to train and spar away from any prying eyes.

I entered the space and shed my outer robe.  Arnor and I had adopted a "uniform" of sorts over the years not greatly different than many of the technical workers and military auxiliaries spread across the galaxy: Sturdy shirt and pants, lots of pockets, good heavy boots and smart-fabric under-shirt and shorts to keep us warm or cool, as needed.  Various tools in belt pouches and cargo pockets.  And in a long holster of sorts made from sturdy leather, my saber, carried inside a sleeve to disguise it from casual observation thanks to the ever-present threat of Order 66 and Empire enforcement.

Or, as was now the case, two holsters...

With practiced ease I withdrew my saber and ignited it, working through a warm-up and kata based largely on Sorensu that took my golden blade through a complicated series of blocks, parries, and sweeping cuts designed more to deflect and divert than to attack.  The goal as always was to move through the form with a continuous, unbroken flow, and my heart sang as the blade danced in my hands.  Since my fifteenth summer I had danced with this blade, and our long association made our song nearly seamless, almost perfect.

Nearly.  Almost.

The form ended, and I halted for a moment, my mind flowing back through the form, noting the slight tremors, the nearly indetectable hesitation at one turn as the blade had for an instant diverted slightly.  The pause to catch my own balance as I missed a note in the song.  As always, it was close, but never perfect.  I was content, but there was always room for more.

I put my old friend away and withdrew the new blade, snapping it to life and again marvelling at the purity of its song.  A few hours of work in the machine shop had easily produced a new outer case matching the other, which had also opened up some room for a more robust power pack.  This blade was now essentially identical to my first hilt.  Heart singing, I returned to the opening position and began the exercise again, sweeping through the same moves, the same blocks and parries and cuts.  In what seemed only seconds I found myself again ending the dance, breathless as the song rose briefly and then settled back into the soft background humming of rest.

My mind reviewed.  I had again struggled with my balance in the same turn that had plagued me since I had first learned the form years before.  Another slight hesitation there...  But the blade had been flawless.  Totally in tune to my movements.  Never straying for a moment.  The perfect instrument.

Again I reached out in the force, examining the crystal within the song.  As always the harmony was breath-taking.  Each time I used it, the harmony deepened, seemed to refine itself more closely to my own song.  It was an aspect I was utterly unfamiliar with.  My crystal had called to me during my apprenticeship.  It had taken me weeks to find it, homing on its clear song, screening the clutter of the other singers responding to my own melody.  I had learned more about listening in the force and reading the songs in those weeks than I had thought possible for a lifetime, but in the end I had built my saber and created an instrument of near perfection, in tune with me and my own song in a way that even Arnor could not match.  It was a nearly symbiotic relationship, but in all the years since the crystal had not changed.  It was not truly alive nor could it learn or adapt.  It simply was what it appeared: An instrument in the hands of a virtuoso.

But this crystal did adapt.  Did learn.  It appeared alive, consciously shaping its song to harmonize perfectly with my melody.   I did not know why it was happening, but Jothan had confirmed that all of the crystals in the crate, literally hundreds of them, would do the same thing.  And the imprinting appeared to be permanent as long as the person imprinted was alive.  Illian's saber had been damaged when he was wounded, the crystal burned out by a power surge.  Illian had therefore used one of the crystals to rebuild his own saber.  When he was done, Jothan had taken the weapon and attempted to encourage it to imprint on himself.  He had failed.  Unlike the weapon I had taken Illian's crystal had remained imprinted on him no matter what Jothan, Arnor or I had done to it.

Apparently the crystals imprinted for life - and reverted to their "default" state if or when their partner died.

Illian had also reported a greater ease of use with his new weapon.  He did not hear the song, but I had observed his practice session.  His crystal sang in complex counterpoint to the padawan, very different than with me, but equally beautiful.  And very much like the fugue between the padawan and his master, also unlike the harmony between Arnor and I but again, very beautiful.

I had one more thing to test today.  I shifted the blade to my left hand and again withdrew my first saber.  I had made one additional modification to both hilts: a simple electromagnetic coupler.  The switch was force-activated.  I turned it on and snapped the hilts together, forming a saber staff.

The blades ignited and I leaped into a new kata, a Djem So format of Sorensu with elements of Niman and Ataru blended in developed for use with a double-bladed saber.  Singing out loud now, I spun and leaped and swept my way around the landing area, abandoning myself to the form, continuing through several cycles and incorporating variations as it repeated, finally ending with a flourish.

I wiped sweat from my eyes and turned to acknowledge the applause coming from the edge of the bay.  "That was impressive."

I bowed to Master Jothan, damping the blades and separating them, returning the hilts to their places on my belt.  "Thank you, Master Jothan.  Perhaps we could spar later, see if I'm as good as I look?"

I felt a grin spread on my face as the Jedi Master smiled and bowed again.  The counter-point intensified, growing tighter, more intimate.  Jothan was more than an ally.  He was becoming a friend.

My grin turned into a genuine smile and I returned the bow.  "Later, then.  For now, breakfast?"

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: