Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
Author Topic: We are Gray...  (Read 23313 times)
TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2017, 04:55:29 AM »

Well you might get too. Wink

I am trying to write a story about him, (taking some inspiration from Karmack, [the "song"]), but all I have so far is the Prologue. Someday I will get the rest of it done, but for now, here is some info about him.

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=24042.msg539122#msg539122

There is a lot that you don't know about him from this sheet, and that is what I am telling in the story. But this is a fairly good intro to who he is.

Oh YES PLEASE!  I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the forum fan-fics  Cheesy. And, like you, I am feeling inspired (it's been years since I wrote about my  character but reading Karm's (and, soon, yours) I'm feeling inspired  Wink

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2017, 04:58:04 AM »

Well, I was planning on saving it till I had a little bit more of it done to start posting, but I may have to just give you a sampler, and post more as I write it. But I will start my own thread for it, rather than steal Karmack's.  Grin You guys are going to actually make me finish this story.  Roll Eyes

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2017, 05:22:07 AM »

Well, I was planning on saving it till I had a little bit more of it done to start posting, but I may have to just give you a sampler, and post more as I write it. But I will start my own thread for it, rather than steal Karmack's.  Grin You guys are going to actually make me finish this story.  Roll Eyes
I'd love to read it TR! 

Heh it's my hope to continue reading BOTH Karm's AND your stories  Smiley

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2017, 05:47:56 PM »

Thank you!  LOL

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2017, 06:26:04 PM »

I felt the song ripple and opened my eyes.  As I expected, Illian was sitting across from me again.  "Illian."

"Master." the youth replied.  "A question, if I may?"

I nodded.  This had become the pattern on our long voyage back to Jedda.  To maintain his cover, Captain Lars had been compelled to deliver the consignment he'd loaded on Naboo to Corusant.  From there a consignment had led to Sigmund, then from there to Dantoine, and then Kessel, and Jakku, and finally back to the core and Corellia where he'd finally picked up a shipment for Jedda.  As he had explained, the population on Jedda was small and shrinking since the damage done by the Empire.  It was getting harder and harder to find legitimate reasons to go there.  The result was a long time spent bouncing around until the right shipment came along.

The time had not been wasted.  Long healing trances had removed all but a faint pink scar from my left arm and restored all function.  Ilian had also healed from the blaster burn he'd suffered.  Arnor had spent long hours teaching him Soresu, a form he had neglected in favor of Ataru once he'd mastered the basics of Shii Cho.  And every evening he'd come about this time and asked questions, leading to long discussions of the force and the teachings Arnor and I followed and the contrasts between them and the Jedi Code.  Illian was bright and intelligent and the Song was strong within him, but in deference to my friend Jothan I tried very hard not to proselytize...

Well.  I tried....

As Illian settled I expected more of the same.  But the young padawan surprised me.  His eyes focused on the gauntlet on my right hand and forearm.  "Master Karmack, what happened to your arm?"

I followed his gaze and then laughed.  "I forget sometimes..."  I reached over and touched the seal, breaking the connection between the upper ring of the gauntlet and the control ring implanted within my arm and slid the device off.  Inside my hand was pail but generally looked normal.  I held it up.  "Many years ago, when I was still a young knight, I was involved in a fight that left my arm damaged and the nerves virtually destroyed.  The healing trance was able to save my hand and restore some function, but fine motor control was lost."  I moved my hand clumsily for him. "Over the years additional treatments and attempts at healing, via medical means as well as the force, have made small improvements but the damage was to extensive for even force-assisted healing to correct.  So a cybernetics engineer made this gauntlet for me.  There is an interface just at the point where the nerves are healthy that sends impulses to the glove, which then assists my natural hand."  I slid the gauntlet back on and reset the connection, then demonstrated the fine motor control now available to me.  "I keep working on the nerves, but for now this provides me with full function."

Illian nodded. "Thank you for explaining.  I've ... been curious."  I watched as he fidgeted and looked down at his hands, which he hastily folded in his lap.

"You've been curious about many things, Illian.  Ask your real question." 

I met his eyes as he looked back up at me.   "I ... um, I want to go with you.  You and Arnor.  I want to be a Jedi, but I want to be a Jedi like you."

I was not surprised.  Arnor and I had been wondering when he would ask.  Thankfully before we reached Jedda.  But there was one thing I needed to know.   Or more correctly, I needed to know that he knew: "Why?"

Illian's eyes remained steady as he replied to my question. "When I asked you, the other day, if it ... bothered you.  Killing.  Your explanation of morality ... it was so much more than anything Master Jothan or Master Uvell ever taught me...  For them, it was about keeping myself in line, following rules, staying on the Light side, avoiding the temptation of the Dark side.  There was no love, no grace, no forgiveness.  But I see now that we need those things.  I see the love you have for all, even as you confront and destroy evil.  The grace that made you risk failure to let as many of the innocent workers in that warehouse evacuate before you blew it up.  As much as I loved Master Jothan..."  He sighed.  "Your view and beliefs are right.  The Jedi are not."

I held his eyes for a long moment.  "We are still Jedi, Illian.  We serve the Light.  We just understand who the Light really is.  Do you understand?"

Illian hesitated, then slowly nodded.  "I think so.  Imperfectly."

"Well said, Illian.  As we all understand imperfectly."  I sat back and relaxed.  "We will be at Jedda in two more days.  I will speak with Master Uvell.  For myself, I have no objection.  But be warned!  You will be Arnor's padawan, not mine!  And she is a much harder task master than I am!"

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2017, 08:22:02 PM »

Oh, I like the inclusion of the cybernetics^^  I always considered Bacta to be a nano-med treatment but figured the cybernetics would be the answer for amputations.  But I REALLY like the supplementation of Force healing (which I--admittedly--tend to overlook  Tongue) with the cybernetics.  Also, good use of the "travel downtime:" Force trances and exposition(s) concerning the tenets of Gray Jedi ideology  Wink

Until next installment, friends  Smiley

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2017, 08:31:46 PM »

I liked how this one specifically was more story oriented, rather than action. I like action, but to me, story is way more important than action. Great job once again.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2017, 09:23:59 PM »

Thanks guys.  I've always liked the character development as well.

Though there's an element to stalling here.  I have to admit, I have to make a choice about the next plot point and I am torn...
Getting close to digital decision making.  (flipping a coin)

More soon!

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2017, 01:21:52 AM »

Well I vote...that your story continues for a LONG time  Wink

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2017, 06:59:08 AM »

Interesting story and concept of the force.  It makes me wonder to what extent Karmack preference for a ‘Song’ in the force is just that, his preference, that is he seems to look down on the sith ‘music’ at least…but is what he considers to be “a construct of melody, harmony and rhythm that reinforces itself” unique to him, that is would other Gray Jedi find his ‘song’ in the force just as repellent as he finds the Siths? Is Karmack making an ‘idol’ of his own Song ? Just a thought!

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2017, 12:03:14 PM »

Interesting story and concept of the force.  It makes me wonder to what extent Karmack preference for a ‘Song’ in the force is just that, his preference, that is he seems to look down on the sith ‘music’ at least…but is what he considers to be “a construct of melody, harmony and rhythm that reinforces itself” unique to him, that is would other Gray Jedi find his ‘song’ in the force just as repellent as he finds the Siths? Is Karmack making an ‘idol’ of his own Song ? Just a thought!
Intriguing thoughts, LSG^^  Myself: I interpret Karm's Song as a benevolent function of nature, one that would corroborate with Gray Jedi ideology (and even go so far as representative of the Order at large).  As I said earlier, I don't think of the Force as being esoteric but rather a more natural phenomenon... BUT I do believe that Karm's Song is representative of his interpretation of Gray doctrine: Life is important (bah, just not put so blandly as I just did  Tongue).
However, who's to say that the Sith don't have their own melody or Song?  Again: interesting thoughts  Smiley

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2017, 06:49:31 PM »

Intriguing.  :-)  These are definitely concepts I will have to think about.

In the context of this world-view, the ideas of Melody, Harmony and Rhythm working together in balance are reflections of the Gray philosophy that the force must be in balance.   But its not a rejection of Good vs Evil.  Karmack and others of his order still see themselves fighting for Good.  They just don't look to the force as a definition of what is good or evil.  I drew on my own musical training in part because I remember having long debates about what kinds of music are "good" and what kinds are "bad".  The conclusion I came to is that there are many different forms of music, some I like, some I don't, but in order to be "good" music it has to have a functional balance between the three basic elements.  If ANY one element gets inflated to the exclusion of the other two, that music is not good music.  So the view of the force.  While Karmack would generally agree with the Jedi on their ideas of what is right and what is wrong regarding Good vs Evil, they would find themselves VERY far apart on what is right vs wrong on how to live their lives, because the Jedi take one aspect - lets say, Melody - and they magnify it while trying to eradicate another element - lest say, Rhythm - from the expression of the force. 

From the canon, we know that Jedi eschew virtually all strong emotion.  The Sith seem to be the opposite, embracing emotions, particularly negative emotions like anger and hate.

The Gray would say that emotions are part of life.  Good or Evil can come from them.  Feel, but don't let feelings be the ruler of your decision-making.  Intellect is the moderator, the control on emotion.  Correct action comes when the other two are in balance.

Now, does Karmack "worship" the Song?  No.  He worships the Singer of the Song.  And that's really the difference.  But that's another discussion...  :-)

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2017, 07:50:26 PM »

I could feel Illian's nerves buzzing from across the room.  I met Arnor's eyes and she nodded slightly, then leaned over to whisper in her new apprentice' ear.

I didn't know the words, but the content was clear:  calm yourself!  And with an effort, the buzzing dimmed, though it did not entirely disappear.

I could not fault him on that.  I was also more than a bit nervous.   The cluster of strangers in the room was not an aid to my calm.  Especially not with the high number of concealed weapons among them.

I stepped forward and bowed to the table where the Jedi council were again seated.  "Master Jedi, we have returned.  I am sorrowful to report that Master Jothan fell during the course of our mission.  He died with great honor and sacrificed himself for our survival at a critical juncture.  His loss will be felt by all of us who owned him as a friend."

Master Uvell's eyes were unreadable, but the spike of emotion was clear in the force, and quickly suppressed.  Others around the table were not as quick to defeat their feelings, even though the news was hardly a surprise.  Why else would Master Jothan not be the one reporting? 

Uvell waited a few heartbeats to allow his comrades to collect themselves before speaking.  "Thank you for your consideration, Master Karmack.  What of the mission?"

"We found a processing center for these specialized crystals on Naboo, Master Uvell.  The Emperor had what I believe to be the last of his Inquisitorious there, using their force abilities to align the crystals, which were then being pieced into a larger construct.  That larger construct appeared to be the activation element of a super laser as big as or bigger than the one used by the Death Star.  Further, during a duel, one of the Inquisitorious bragged that the crystals would power a new Death Star's main weapon.  He gave the location of this new terror's construction as 'Endor'.  On the return trip we managed to find an Endor system in the Modell Sector on the Outer Rim.  I believe this to be the system the Inquisitor was referring to."

At the name "Endor" I noticed the attention of several of the strangers spike.  One of them stepped forward.  "Endor, you say?  The planet itself, or perhaps the Sanctuary Moon?"

I turned my attention to the new speaker.  "Perhaps, I honestly do not know, Master...?"

Uvell made the introduction.  "Jankor Vek, of Bothawui.  He is here on the behest of Koth Melan and is working to acquire intelligence for the Rebel Alliance.  He and I will be leading a team to ... inquire further on this matter."

I glanced back at Jankor.  The Bothan was clearly unhappy about Master Uvell's frankness.  "I understand."  I glanced at Illian and Arnor  "We wish you ... success, Master Uvell."

Uvell snorted in bitter laughter.  "Not likely.  You are to attuned to the force, Maenowan Karmack.  That is why you will not be accompanying us."  Uvell turned to Illian.  "Join them, Illian.  Learn the ways of the force.  Master Karmack and I do not agree on the particulars, but he will guide you to serve the Light, whatever he calls it himself."  Uvell smiled.  "You will go far, Illian.  Jothan would be proud."

I felt Illian's emotions spike and the tears were evident in his eyes, if unshed. "Thank you, Master Uvell."

Uvell rose and bowed.  "Go, now.  We have much to do, and I believe your 'song' is calling you elsewhere."

I returned his bow.  Indeed, the Song was rising, calling us away.  "May the force be with you, Master Uvell."

"And with you."

Uvell left us with one other parting gift: A CEC XS light freighter sat in the bay, waiting for us.  It wasn't as highly modified as Captain Lars' ship, but it was in good condition and had a working hyper drive.
And in the hold rode a familiar crate.

We left ahead of them and headed in a different direction.  They were bound for the Rim and Endor.  I could hear little of their song, but enough to know it was tragic.  Ours, however led elsewhere, and it was time to go.

The Jedi would tend to themselves for a bit.  We were Gray, and the Song beckoned...

* The End *

(for now)

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2017, 01:10:07 AM »

MASSIVE APPLAUSE!
Excellent Karm!  I have but one critique: MORE PLEASE  Grin

I'm hooked^^

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2017, 02:16:10 AM »

MASSIVE APPLAUSE!
Excellent Karm!  I have but one critique: MORE PLEASE  Grin

I'm hooked^^

Yes indeed. Very well done.

Intriguing.  :-)  These are definitely concepts I will have to think about.

In the context of this world-view, the ideas of Melody, Harmony and Rhythm working together in balance are reflections of the Gray philosophy that the force must be in balance.   But its not a rejection of Good vs Evil.  Karmack and others of his order still see themselves fighting for Good.  They just don't look to the force as a definition of what is good or evil.  I drew on my own musical training in part because I remember having long debates about what kinds of music are "good" and what kinds are "bad".  The conclusion I came to is that there are many different forms of music, some I like, some I don't, but in order to be "good" music it has to have a functional balance between the three basic elements.  If ANY one element gets inflated to the exclusion of the other two, that music is not good music.  So the view of the force.  While Karmack would generally agree with the Jedi on their ideas of what is right and what is wrong regarding Good vs Evil, they would find themselves VERY far apart on what is right vs wrong on how to live their lives, because the Jedi take one aspect - lets say, Melody - and they magnify it while trying to eradicate another element - lest say, Rhythm - from the expression of the force. 

From the canon, we know that Jedi eschew virtually all strong emotion.  The Sith seem to be the opposite, embracing emotions, particularly negative emotions like anger and hate.

The Gray would say that emotions are part of life.  Good or Evil can come from them.  Feel, but don't let feelings be the ruler of your decision-making.  Intellect is the moderator, the control on emotion.  Correct action comes when the other two are in balance.

Now, does Karmack "worship" the Song?  No.  He worships the Singer of the Song.  And that's really the difference.  But that's another discussion...  :-)

I like what you said here. You defined your thoughts well. The highlighted passage in particular. That, I believe was what caused to Jedi to fall. They completely ruled out emotion, thinking that following emotions was the way of the Sith. And while yes, following your emotions can lead to destruction, it doesn't always. I feel like you need to take emotions into consideration before making a decision, but don't act on impulse. While I feel like the Jedi were more right than the Sith, they were not perfect, and they definitely needed help. They needed to understand that emotions can make you strong. But you have to utilize them correctly. You must act, never react. Make calculated decisions, not just hop right in and hope everything goes your way, because it most likely wont. Again, very well written, as was the entire story. Thank you for sharing it.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: