Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Diamond Board Config curiosity  (Read 1921 times)
asrah
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -10

Feed me the Dark Side! Tastes like cookies!

« on: August 12, 2017, 11:46:40 AM »

Not sure if i should post this here, since this area seems like a sort of HQ for Diamond stuff, or in the technical section. I understand if the thread is moved.

http://imgur.com/a/JqNIK

R/G/B/W are all set to 700 mA. I notice that with colors like VA/DVA, the red shows through a good bit starting 6~ inches from the tip, and going to the tip. This is only noticeable when its sitting on my table and connected to my PC. But, it gave me a (likely dangerous) idea. Yes, i have read the manual for the LED module in my saber, i just dont understand what some of the things in there mean. Im not well versed in electrician stuffs. Is it safe to increase the mA on any of the LEDs by any amount? What about decreasing? I know decreasing gives a decrease in brightness, but also in power consumption. My fonts tend to use 3 or all 4 LEDs, to varying extents. If im able to take a little power from say red, and put it in white, my white would be a slight bight brighter and my red would be a bit dimmer. If i took 100mA off each LED, theyd all be a bit dimmer, but itd be a 1/7th reduction in mA usage at maximum brightness for each LED. I see that as a significant thing, since the batteries are 800mAh.

Im not sure what the mA curve is relative to 0-255 on the effects settings, but having 2 LEDs at 255, and one at 74, would equal about 1600mA if i presume an equal curve and equal drain from both batteries. Meaning one hour of battery life. Im aware it (likely) doesnt work like that, but since im unaware of the actual curve, all i can do is guess. Gaining 400mA by reducing power to each LED, would mean i could have a 3rd LED at a higher alpha and retain the same battery life, while still using the 4th for pulse. If i had the tools to do so, id write up a post on the power usage curves so all us Diamond owners can know the most efficient alpha settings for each LED.

Is it safe to straight up disable the accent LEDs? I have no need for them, and they just increase the amount of things i have to manually disable in each effect that i make. I imagine they dont use any discernible amount of power if nothing is connected to them, even if enabled in an effect by accident. But, since power of any amount on a Diamond saber, is akin to legendary loot in your favorite MMO, might as well disable it if i can.

RSX Engineering
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 54

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 01:03:06 PM »

Hi asrah,

In case you increase the mA on any of the LEDs, it might result in overheating as well as reduced LED life span.

We recommend to keep the LEDs at the nominal curent value supported by each one.

It's completely safe to disable the accent LEDs using the Diamond board config.

Cheers,

Adrian

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: