Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Battery drain when off  (Read 2001 times)
adskee
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: August 14, 2017, 09:08:54 AM »

Just ordered a Graflex CE Emerald with Obsidian Sound, starting the long wait for it to arrive! This might sound like a stupid question, but is there any significant battery drain when the unit is switched off? I don't have a light on the activation box, so would assume that there would be none. But I remember wathcing one or other of the videos that did talk about minor drain whilst switched off and was wondering whether fully charged batteries would drain within a few days or weeks even when the saber is off?

Thanks in advance.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 01:41:19 PM »

Yes, your batteries will drain over time when you leave them in the saber.  You can take them out to significantly slow the drain, or if you sprung for a recharge port, you can insert a kill key into the port to stop the flow of electricity.

adskee
Force Sensitive

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 01:49:50 PM »

Thanks. Are we talking just standard Li-Ion battery drain, or are you saying that the electronics are actually drawing a current?

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 06:59:52 PM »

No, the electronics also contribute to battery drain. Actually, that's the more important aspect - Li-Ions themselves have a significantly lower self-discharge, near to 0. It's mostly the electronics that drain them.

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

adskee
Force Sensitive

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 09:40:16 AM »

Understood. Is it possible to put a rough figure on this? Emerald driver, Obsidian sound board, full Li-Ion batteries. Are we talking days, weeks or months to discharge if switched off the whole time? Anyone have any idea of this?

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 10:52:02 AM »

Probably the only way to know for sure what you are asking is for someone to purposely test that exact scenario. Not sure if anybody has done that.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

StarWarsForce
Knight Major

Force Alignment: -106

Light or Dark Points? You choose!

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 04:39:57 PM »

I have two Emerald/Obsidian v4 Ultrasabers. If I only turn them on 1-2 times (usually for 20 minutes each time) during the life of the Li-on batteries and don't take the batteries out until they are fully discharged, the batteries last an additional 1-1.5 weeks in the saber.

You'll get a fairly good idea how long your batteries last when the saber is not turned on after a while. It won't be a couple days, but it won't be a month, either.

This is what US sends at the bottom of every single one of their emails:

"The best way to risk damaging your Li-Ion batteries is to leave them in your saber for an extended period without using the saber or charging the batteries.  Over a very long period of time your saber will eventually fully drain the batteries and if your batteries stay idle for an extended period after being completely depleted they will eventually forget how to charge and become "fully dead" battery cells and won't recharge again.  So if your saber is going to be sitting idle for an extended period of time, please remove the batteries and store them in the charger or if you have a recharge port just keep your saber plugged in until the next time you plan to use it.  This will help to preserve your Li-Ion batteries."

Because of this, once the batteries are completely drained, I try to get my batteries back in the charger as soon as I can.

Hope this helped!

Sabers I own (in order of how I got them):
Dominix LE V4--AS--Stunt
Consular--Emerald RGBW--V4 Sound
Manticore CE--Emerald RGBW--V4 Sound
Crimson Reaper--Tri AS--V4 Sound (Free Premium GB)
Dark War Glaive Body/Crimson Reaper Emitter/Crimson Mantis Pommel Mix--BR--Stunt (Free Premium GB)
Dark Prophecy V3--DVA--V4 Sound
Initiate LE V4--CG--Lite Sound (2nd Summer Raffle Win, 4th Prize, 2016)

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 09:28:11 PM »

This is the great thing about recharge ports and why I'm getting them on nearly all of my sabers now. Even if you don't charge them often, you can still use a kill key to cut the flow of current and prevent the batteries from depleting completely. I think I'll be getting some kill keys to help me in "battery management" of my growing collection.

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

adskee
Force Sensitive

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 06:38:54 AM »

Thanks guys

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: