Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Quick-disconnect troubles  (Read 593 times)
dobralov
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 9

All is as the Force wills it.

« on: August 15, 2017, 01:28:27 AM »

US wizards,

So I have a War Glaive with a tri-cree quick-disconnect in AB. Finally acquired a tri-cree in BR.

Unscrewed the emitter, lightly shook the hilt, and the LED barely moves. Carefully, I slowly try to pull it out. I manage to get it out far enough to look inside. I definitely see what *appears* to be a black quick-connector, but it appears to be buried or entangled in other wires near the AV switch. I've mostly been doing spins with a touch of light dueling against a toddler, so I doubt it's from use.

What are my options, other than ask US for a warranty repair (the saber is about 2 months old)? Tried taking a picture, but it's too far down the hilt and the LED won't come out far.

LIGHT Side points, if you would.

Collection:
War Glaive in tri-cree AB, Obsidian V4
Twin Apprentice v4 LEs in DVA for staff - one w/o sound, one Obsidian V4
Aeon V4 LE in SD, Obsidian LTE

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 01:56:48 PM »

If you don't want to void your warranty, you need to send it into UltraSabers for them to fix it.

So, here's what happened.  I've accidentally done this before when building.  Someone was building it in a hurry and wasn't mindful of where the wires were and that there was enough slack when they put the switch in, so stuff got trapped in there when they jammed that switch in.  It's actually not that difficult of a fix, but as I said disassembling the electronics yourself even a little voids your warranty.  All you have to do is heat up the glue to soften it (heat around the switch with a heat gun, don't directly heat the switch) until you can pull the switch out.  Then bring the LED module forward and have it "hanging out" the front of the body section with the quick connects easily accessible.  (obviously, have it laying on a table or something)  Also, make sure you have room to get your battery pack and all that back out the other end, it's a fine balance thing.  Heat your glue back up so that it's almost runny, then put the switch back in.  Lay the hilt on the table switch down and leave it a while so that the glue will pool back around the switch and harden around it as it cools.  Then you should be good to go, you should now be able to put the LED and other stuff back in and then you'll be able to pull your LED back out and disconnect/swap it when you need to.

Though, if you want to maintain your warranty and/or you're worried you'll mess something up, just start the process of sending it back in for them to do it.  That's probably what one of their techs will do, and it will still be warrantied.   Cool

dobralov
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 9

All is as the Force wills it.

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 02:26:22 PM »

scifidude79,

Yup, I was about 95 percent sure I'd end up just sending it in for warranty work, but wanted to be sure there wasn't some "easy" fix. Easy for you isn't easy for me because I don't have heat guns and a workshop and I definitely don't want to void my warranty.

Just figured I'd make sure before I poke them *again* about another saber issue. Bad luck lately, but their customer service has stepped into the breach every time.

Still, I appreciate the instructions, thank you!

LIGHT Side points, if you would.

Collection:
War Glaive in tri-cree AB, Obsidian V4
Twin Apprentice v4 LEs in DVA for staff - one w/o sound, one Obsidian V4
Aeon V4 LE in SD, Obsidian LTE

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 03:05:18 PM »

It's all good.  Not everyone wants to monkey around with the guts of a saber, or even has the equipment.  It's especially important, if you can't or aren't inclined to fix any mistakes that you may make, that you not void that warranty.  So, sending it in is the smart choice here.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: