Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Removing powder coating?  (Read 6093 times)
Darth Dragon
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -28

« on: August 16, 2017, 07:28:13 PM »

So I recently got a reaper as a grab bag and I am toying around with the idea of removing the powder coating and stripping it down to a raw unfinished look then doing the claws and pattern in black.  I was wondering if anybody has any experience doing something like this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 07:35:22 PM »

It's anodizing, not powder coating.  Powder coating is less durable.  There are several methods for removing it.  One would be to sand it, which could take a long time.  You want to start with a really abrasive grit, something like 60 grit, to remove the most anodizing at once, then go down to higher grit, up to 2000 or 3000, to smooth it out.

For a faster method, I've heard oven cleaner works too, though I have no firsthand experience with that.  If you use that method, be sure to wear protective gloves when working with it.

Isola815
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 594

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 08:25:37 PM »

I guess you could say that someone around here has SOME experience with such things...

If you mean something like this that is

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2027

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 10:36:18 PM »

A Reaper in a Grab Bag? That is a nice score Tongue The dark side of the force must've been on your side for that one then Tongue Pics though for before and after

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG,
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Darth Dragon
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 12:38:55 AM »

I guess you could say that someone around here has SOME experience with such things...

That is awesome can you explain your process.  You make me want to do it in red now so I am not completely stealing your design

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 12:40:45 AM »

Wow, Isola, that's really sharp looking.  Love that the claws are black with the silver body.  Would you maybe consider that to be more of a "Sithy" saber design?

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

Isola815
Knight Commander

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 01:45:18 AM »

That is awesome can you explain your process.  You make me want to do it in red now so I am not completely stealing your design

SFD pretty much nailed it in his post as he was in the loop while I was doing this one. How are your painting and sanding skills? I think all told it was somewhere around 10 hours of hand sanding after painting. Can post more detail and progress pics when I get home and am on the PC. Also check out the Customization Hilt Challenge thread, I posted a brief video about it.

Wow, Isola, that's really sharp looking.  Love that the claws are black with the silver body.  Would you maybe consider that to be more of a "Sithy" saber design?

Nope, this is my light side version of a Reaper.

Guardian blue with VA FoC. Some have called it The Reaper LE. But I call it The Reaper IE (Isola Edition) Wink

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 04:12:16 AM »

I just watched your video about this handsome devil in the other thread you posted before. Nice work - point for originality, that's for sure. I really like the concept.  

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 02:54:57 PM »

Apparently I'm not the only one that longs for more color options. That looks incredible. +1 (would give more, but y'know...forum programming)

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Dragon
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 02:36:04 AM »

So I am hoping I didn't screw up my reaper by trying to modify it.  I tried the oven cleaner method to remove the ano and it worked but I fear I maybe have damaged the  body as the aluminum is looking a little rough.  I am using some stainless steel brush bits to clean it up the best I can but I have a while to go before it's pretty again. 

Sean107
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -27

Peace Is A Lie!

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2017, 02:49:04 AM »

So I am hoping I didn't screw up my reaper by trying to modify it.  I tried the oven cleaner method to remove the ano and it worked but I fear I maybe have damaged the  body as the aluminum is looking a little rough.  I am using some stainless steel brush bits to clean it up the best I can but I have a while to go before it's pretty again. 
We have always used a sand blaster, to clean all kinds of metal without damaging them. Not sure if that could work, but a glass blaster would give a softer touch.

Blades:
Dark Initiate LE V4 - AS
Sentinel V4 - AS
Dark Shock - TRI BR/GB/CG
Overlord - TRI BR/GB/CG

Darth Dragon
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2017, 02:51:18 AM »

We have always used a sand blaster, to clean all kinds of metal without damaging them. Not sure if that could work, but a glass blaster would give a softer touch.
I wished I had assess to something like that but I was going off what I saw here on the forms the steel brushes are not doing any damage more the chemical reaction worst case I will make it a bad ass weathered saber and call it a day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isola815
Knight Commander

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2017, 05:08:41 AM »

I think all told it was somewhere around 10 hours of hand sanding after painting.

Keep going.

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2017, 06:00:33 AM »

Have any in progress pictures?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Darth Dragon
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2017, 11:41:12 AM »

Here are some pics so far