• Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Wassup  (Read 6159 times)
Mimiaga
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -26

« on: August 17, 2017, 02:06:17 PM »

How's it hanging.

My name's Sam. I've been studying swordplay/staff fighting since 1999, inspired the duel in Episode 1. Saber staff is my weapon of choice, I find that I'm better with staff than conventional sabers. My jarkai is also pretty on point. With a staff or jarkai I've taken on 2v1s and 3v1s and come out on top. Currently own 4 US and Darth Maul FX from forever ago. I'm here mainly to try and find some material I can learn from to further my staff abilities, and I'll be posting videos of my groups weekly meet ups. We don't do any choreographed routines, all our duels are authentic fights. As far as how we fight: torso/head shots are kills, limb shots just disable whatever was hit. Not sure if that's the "standard" rule set but that's what we practice.

So if there's any staff masters around I've love to talk. I've yet to find someone I can really learn from in terms of practical combat. I've looked to some TPLA videos, but *I* find that their mindset on the staff (at least that which is presented in their videos) is some what narrow minded and dogmatic. They kinda write it off. Anyway that's enough ranting, looking forward to learning!

I'm located in Ventura County, Southern California.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 02:15:20 PM »

How's it hanging.

My name's Sam. I've been studying swordplay/staff fighting since 1999, inspired the duel in Episode 1. Saber staff is my weapon of choice, I find that I'm better with staff than conventional sabers. My jarkai is also pretty on point. With a staff or jarkai I've taken on 2v1s and 3v1s and come out on top. Currently own 4 US and Darth Maul FX from forever ago. I'm here mainly to try and find some material I can learn from to further my staff abilities, and I'll be posting videos of my groups weekly meet ups. We don't do any choreographed routines, all our duels are authentic fights. As far as how we fight: torso/head shots are kills, limb shots just disable whatever was hit. Not sure if that's the "standard" rule set but that's what we practice.

So if there's any staff masters around I've love to talk. I've yet to find someone I can really learn from in terms of practical combat. I've looked to some TPLA videos, but *I* find that their mindset on the staff (at least that which is presented in their videos) is some what narrow minded and dogmatic. They kinda write it off. Anyway that's enough ranting, looking forward to learning!

I'm located in Ventura County, Southern California.
Sounds like you need a QR coupler. Then you can easily switch go staff to dualies and back. It's a shame you missed Nox. She was a staff practitioner, although jo staff.

Welcome to the forum.

Also, expect a Lord Raváge to pop in shortly. Grin

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Mimiaga
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 02:17:39 PM »

Sounds like you need a QR coupler. Then you can easily switch go staff to dualies and back.

Oh don't worry I got one lol

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 02:24:27 PM »

Oh don't worry I got one lol
Aren't they amazing?

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Mimiaga
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 02:28:49 PM »

They're pretty cool, and I certainly enjoy the convince of them, but I wish they had a little less play in them. While in use its not something you notice but it is something I can feel when I fist pick it up.

I've also had my opponent hit it mid-swing and have it decouple, sending the other blade flying away. It's a bad ass thing to happen but I lost that fight because of it lol.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 02:45:04 PM »

They're pretty cool, and I certainly enjoy the convince of them, but I wish they had a little less play in them. While in use its not something you notice but it is something I can feel when I fist pick it up.

I've also had my opponent hit it mid-swing and have it decouple, sending the other blade flying away. It's a bad ass thing to happen but I lost that fight because of it lol.
Well they can't be perfectly rigid, otherwise they would either be a) impossible to connect/disconnect or b) expensive as hell.

Sig by For Tyeth

bigBear
Council Elder of Shenanigans
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1538

a true warrior fights to protect

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 03:42:29 PM »

welcome to the forums.

as Logos said...expect Lord Ravage to pop in, he's got a large group in your area as well.

who's scruffy looking?
own: Dominix V4 GB, Sentinel V4 sunrider's, Aprentice LE V4 VA X2 (staff). Liberator SY, dark SI AB, dark initiate LE CG, dark initiate BR, dark apprentice LE AS and FO stunts. dark Sentinel LE in FO OB lite sound Malice w/ V4 sound, Emerald. Crimson curved Reaper AS OB lite. Diamond Raven, Chosen One V4 sound, emerald, Consular CG, V4 sound.

Mimiaga
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 04:46:25 PM »

Sounds awesome, we've got a group of 4, would be great to find more people.

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 05:07:29 PM »

Hello and welcome  Smiley

Always nice to see a fellow Californian^^

As far as saberstaves, I am not sure as to which focus you prefer (strict combat vs. showmanship vs. combination, etc.) but you also might want to check out some of Samhain's vids; they are particularly relevant since you both seem to share a fondness for Darth Maul  Wink

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

skullsquadronx
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -183

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 05:54:56 PM »

Hello and Welcome to the Saber Forum family, from Northeast Pennsylvania.

11/15 (2)Ravens SS VA (ED&O4) 12/15 Mantis ce AB (ED&O4) 06/16 Flamberge v2 AS (ED&O4) 06/16 Initiate v4 CG 07/16 Mantis ce AB (ED&O4) 07/16 D Initiate v4 AB 09/16 Archon v3 EG (ED&O4) 09/16 Initiate le v2 CG 09/16 D Apprentice le v4 FO 09/16 Dominix v4 GB 10/16 Electrum Wind DVA (ED&O4) 10/16 Standard Issue Battle Saber v3 GB 10/16 Aeon v3 AB 11/16 Aeon v4 AB 04/17 Emperor's Hand DVA (DC) 04/17 Dark Standard Issue Battle Saber tri CG & O litell 04/17 Initiate le v2 GB

Mimiaga
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 06:20:51 PM »

Hello and welcome  Smiley

Always nice to see a fellow Californian^^

As far as saberstaves, I am not sure as to which focus you prefer (strict combat vs. showmanship vs. combination, etc.) but you also might want to check out some of Samhain's vids; they are particularly relevant since you both seem to share a fondness for Darth Maul  Wink

I'm all about practical combat! And I'll be sure to have a look at his stuff. Smiley

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 07:01:13 PM »

Welcome to the family

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 07:09:03 PM »

Welcome to this great place, Mimiaga. I'm known more commonly around these parts as just "LB".  I'm from Box Elder County in Northern Utah, and have been here 11 months so far.  I'm a fan of, though not particularly skilled at, staff fighting. I own a short octagonal staff from my martial arts days, and my favorite staff-wielding character besides Darth Maul is Morgan on the Walking Dead. Like many, I'm also a fan of Bruce Lee, who believed in practical fighting. My favorite quote from Mr. Lee, "boards don't hit back", so I think it's so legit that you approach your training in a practical mode.

Curious, how did you come up with your forum name 'Mimiaga'?  It sounds pretty cool, almost like 'Mimyaga'.

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 07:10:46 PM »

Welcome to the forum!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Mimiaga
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2017, 07:16:03 PM »

Welcome to this great place, Mimiaga. I'm known more commonly around these parts as just "LB".  I'm from Box Elder County in Northern Utah, and have been here 11 months so far.  I'm a fan of, though not particularly skilled at, staff fighting. I own a short octagonal staff from my martial arts days, and my favorite staff-wielding character besides Darth Maul is Morgan on the Walking Dead. Like many, I'm also a fan of Bruce Lee, who believed in practical fighting. My favorite quote from Mr. Lee, "boards don't hit back", so I think it's so legit that you approach your training in a practical mode.

Curious, how did you come up with your forum name 'Mimiaga'?  It sounds pretty cool, almost like 'Mimyaga'.

Hey LB! Along with Maul my favorite staff fighter is Oberyn Martelll from Game of Thrones. And Mimiaga is actually my last name. Smiley

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: