Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Are you holding your saber correctly?  (Read 6857 times)
Cang Snow
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 42

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2017, 05:45:17 PM »

Interesting question, I'll contribute.
In LudoSport....

Thanks for giving us the Ludosport perspective! At the moment I only offer a short introductory program, but I start students in single-grip, then start to dabble a little in double-grip, and then finally begin to do switch-offs. I do agree that two-handed techniques are easier to learn. Though I find it stunts the students' abilities to get good sparring experience in the early stages.

Yarginshnarg
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 10

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2017, 10:46:57 PM »

In my saber group I'm having a bit of a dilemma of what's the best setup for me. I've been using an initiate hilt with a 32" blade trying for mostly one handed, but have been struggling to win most of my fights. When I started a year ago I was using an Aeon v2 with a 36" blade and seemed to be doing okay but wanted to learn doubles and that's why I started one handed with an initiate. Should I go back to a longer hilt and blade doing two handed until I'm better with that style, or continue using one handed to try to learn doubles down the road?

Aeon LE V2 GB
The Guardian CG
Dark Initiate SY

Draq
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 10

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2017, 02:58:43 AM »

My question is... Where should the activation button be? I always thought it should be facing upward so you can pres it with your thumb, but the Consular's grip looks as though it should be facing down so your fingers can use the grip.

Cang Snow
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 42

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2017, 06:48:49 PM »

In my saber group I'm having a bit of a dilemma of what's the best setup for me. I've been using an initiate hilt with a 32" blade trying for mostly one handed, but have been struggling to win most of my fights. When I started a year ago I was using an Aeon v2 with a 36" blade and seemed to be doing okay but wanted to learn doubles and that's why I started one handed with an initiate. Should I go back to a longer hilt and blade doing two handed until I'm better with that style, or continue using one handed to try to learn doubles down the road?

Well, you had a significant reach advantage with the 36" Aeon, and reach (or, more precisely, ranging) is the #1 factor in a duel. So that could be contributing to that. If you decide to plug on a 36" to your Initiate, you may want to try the "follow-through style" found in military saber-fencing.

IMHO, sticking to two-handed doesn't really prepare you for going one-handed.

URNOTSOBOSS
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 17

I am Sentinel.

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2017, 02:26:39 AM »

alright, ill join this discussion.
Keep in mind, I was self taught.
I favor a two handed style, though i do switch depending on my opponent and the sitiuation at hand. i prefer a two handed style because i use a lot of techniques from Soresu, the defence form. However, when I attack I use very Ataru techniques, focusing on my speed. it may also be due to the fact that i use an Aeon with a 36 inch heavy grade blade. the only problem that i have found with this style is reach as yoy stated.

Sentinel- A soldier or guard whose job is to stand and keep watch.

*Sabers I own:
Aeon V4 stunt In CG {Seren Arien}
Dark Arbiter Obsidian V4 in BR (Mystery Box)
Sentinel V4 in GB
Sentinel V4 in AB (Mystery box)
*Wishlist:
Shock

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2017, 12:10:01 PM »

If you want a serious, truthful answer, I would train extensively with two hands first.  After that, you can learn the one handed methods, and eventually down the line translate them to dual wielding.  Using two weapons in tandem is pretty advanced, and difficult to pull off effectively if you don't have a strong foundation.  Two handed usage of a saber will give you better stability overall, as well as more leverage on the weapon to perform quick strikes.

Keep in mind this is coming from someone who primarily uses one hand, so it's not like I'm biased in this matter Wink

Zyn
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 63

What do I see? Light... Darkness.... Balance

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2017, 12:33:22 PM »

I don't go on the offensive too much unfortunately cause I am worried about accidently hurting him.

On the flip side, however, accidentally hurting him will teach him a set of valuable lessons, such as "Don't attack someone who has you outmatched in size and strength".  Grin

"The protectors of the Balance must stand on the edge of two worlds, accepted by neither, masters of both."

Butcher (Diamond) | Emperor's Hand* (BR) | Lost Gray* (SD) | Sentinel v4* (BR) | Reaper (AB) | D. Initiate (AS) | D. Apprentice LE v4 (SY) | Aeon v4 (CG) (WILLING TO TRADE) | Dark Sentinel/Aeon Staff (FO) | D. Prophecy Build Project (Pending)

Master Althalus
Resident Master
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 39

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2017, 03:58:52 PM »

The reason why I teach two-handed use first is based on a totally different reason: footwork. Two hands on the hilt give you better leverage, so you don't have to rely so much on footwork to power your strikes, or keep you from being hit. Being a bit slow on the feet does not have so much of an impact with a two-handed grip (it still does, for experienced fencers, but not for beginners).
One-handed fighting requires a lot more moving around, voiding instead of parrying and powering attacks by using footwork. You have to be light on your feet, playing with distance and tempo.
The goal is to be able to use benefits from both ways, flowing between them as seems fitting.

Sabers
Emerald: Dark Mantis
Obsidian v4: Shock, Dark Initiate v4, Consular
Obsidian Lite: Aeon v4, Dominix LE v4
Stunt: Apprentice v4, Initiate LE v2, Aeon v4

Musashi Padawan
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 174

Warrior Poet

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2017, 09:23:56 PM »

I love this conversation everyone, great insights all around.  Exactly the reason I joined this forum.  At the AFA, we certainly begin all new students two-handed with Shii-Cho.  Even those with a fencing background.  This is done for many of the reasons already covered in this thread; mainly the development of footwork, striking methods and parries from a solid foundation.  Makashi and the one handed technique expands on those skills as the emphasis shifts to balance, movement, evasion and controlling of the center line of engagement. We also find it takes a while (even for those in good shape) to build up the arm strength and endurance required for one handed guards or extended sparring.
Personally, I enjoy the flexibility to switch between styles based on situation and opponent.  But in a serious duel against a equal or greater opponent, I always revert to my Kendo training and find comfort in the two-handed grip and footwork. 
Now as for one-handed VS two-handed in a duel, we find the two-handed practitioner to have a distinct advantage when skill levels are similar between opponents.  Even our quickest and most skilled have a tough time getting around the power and defense of a determined two-handed approach.  You can see from our matches (click my signature below), the AFAs style of dueling is a little different from some others in have seen. There are examples of several different styles and skill level at play in the latest video.  I would love any feedback!

On YouTube
“Perceive that which cannot be seen with the eye." ~ Miyamoto Musashi

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: