Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: A new season is coming ...  (Read 2393 times)
Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« on: August 27, 2017, 01:15:03 PM »

Hello everyone,

As september is coming, the summer break will end soon. Time to go back for training and time to think about objective Wink

Considering "Canne and French staff", i will try to complete the last technical level and become a federal instructor.

Considering lightsaber, i will continue to adapt "canne and french staff" but i will really try (depending on my free time) to study the forms as they are commonly defined (by TPLA or other association).

In fact, a pure adaptation of canne is fun and spectacular but not so efficient ... I will try to begin to define my own style Wink

So you saber addicts ?? What about your objectives for this coming season ??

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

KalSaj
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 7

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 06:28:51 PM »

Oh, that sounds interesting! I can imagine some opportunities for grapples and disarms if you were to put a curve handle on the end of the lightsaber (like some walking canes and "martial arts" canes have). Do you have any example videos or what you are thinking about adapting?

As for me, I am currently teaching some training-friends my take on Makashi. After that, I will start trying to figure out my own flavor of Soresu. Aiming to make its defense from the hip (i.e. more about rotation for speed and power instead of using the arms) to prolong sustainability. Should be fun!

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 07:28:47 PM »

Oh, that sounds interesting! I can imagine some opportunities for grapples and disarms if you were to put a curve handle on the end of the lightsaber (like some walking canes and "martial arts" canes have). Do you have any example videos or what you are thinking about adapting?

As for me, I am currently teaching some training-friends my take on Makashi. After that, I will start trying to figure out my own flavor of Soresu. Aiming to make its defense from the hip (i.e. more about rotation for speed and power instead of using the arms) to prolong sustainability. Should be fun!

No curve handle on canne for "combat" ... Here, curve handles are on canne for "self defense" Wink

I made a topic one year ago

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=30132.0

But you can have a quick look on this martial art by watching this vid:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYXW3QsG1zs" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYXW3QsG1zs</a>

I am not on this vid Wink

So, what about your own flavor of Soresu ??

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

KalSaj
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 10:48:34 PM »

Wow! That was a lot more dynamic than I was expecting! Looks like fun!

So, what about your own flavor of Soresu ??

Haha unfortunately I don't have any reference material to show off what I'm thinking. It only exists in my head, currently. But the idea is to share the "burden of movement" of blade between the arms and the body. Imagine blocking something on your left side, then get attacked on the right. As your blade moves to the right side, your body will also rotate to shift your centerline in that direction, giving your moving blade a "speedboost" without needing to move your arms faster. It is a really simple concept (sees a lot of use in martial arts) but most of the Soresu-esque defense blade work I see is either large swinging circles or heavy wrist work. I am aiming for a more conservative execution. This, of course, is subject to change as I work with it...but as I said, that is the idea. A lot of movement in the hips and bladework in "the chromosphere", as TPLA calls it.

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 03:31:41 PM »

Wow! That was a lot more dynamic than I was expecting! Looks like fun!

We use a 100 g wood stick ... When using a 600 g AEON V2, it is definitively "slower" LOL

Haha unfortunately I don't have any reference material to show off what I'm thinking. It only exists in my head, currently. But the idea is to share the "burden of movement" of blade between the arms and the body. Imagine blocking something on your left side, then get attacked on the right. As your blade moves to the right side, your body will also rotate to shift your centerline in that direction, giving your moving blade a "speedboost" without needing to move your arms faster. It is a really simple concept (sees a lot of use in martial arts) but most of the Soresu-esque defense blade work I see is either large swinging circles or heavy wrist work. I am aiming for a more conservative execution. This, of course, is subject to change as I work with it...but as I said, that is the idea. A lot of movement in the hips and bladework in "the chromosphere", as TPLA calls it.

Sounds interesting Wink

You are right, many martial art already propose what you imagine but it sounds fun to try to adapt to Soresu.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 05:59:36 PM »

"Core" Sorensu?  I like it! 

Personally, I think one reason Sorensu is so arm-heavy is simply because it is spin/swing heavy.  This is for visual effect.  A lot of the motion-heavy bladework you learn in martial arts is due primarily to the fact that you have a blade, usually heavy, with inertia.  It makes sense to maintain that inertia and use it rather than fight against it, and it adds weight to a blow you do land.

This does not apply to lightsabers.  At least not to "real" lightsabers.

ON the other hand, it DOES apply to "our" REAL dueling sabers.  So....  LOL

All that to say - keeping the blade fast without taxing the arms or extending them to far would be beneficial.  Involving the core to make movements faster and add "snap" to them is critical.  If you can adapt Sorensu to do this ... teach me!  :-)

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 07:16:57 PM »

So you saber addicts ?? What about your objectives for this coming season ??

I know virtually nothing about the different forms for saber fighting, but my objectives for this year are to learn to better spin my saber, and also to become a better dueler. This year I will actually have an opponent to duel with, so it will be easier to learn dueling. As it is, I stink. My spinning is okay, but if I were to duel someone, I would lose. I do the same thing over and over again, and it has now become a habit. I am trying to add in more random things when I fight, but still, I need a lot of work. I also cannot defend. At all. So I will be working on that as well. I hope some other people will jump in and tell of their objectives as well. It will be cool to see. I will try and keep you all updated on how things progress, but it most likely wont progress very far. I will try though. Grin

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 08:06:02 PM »

I know virtually nothing about the different forms for saber fighting, but my objectives for this year are to learn to better spin my saber, and also to become a better dueler. This year I will actually have an opponent to duel with, so it will be easier to learn dueling. As it is, I stink. My spinning is okay, but if I were to duel someone, I would lose. I do the same thing over and over again, and it has now become a habit. I am trying to add in more random things when I fight, but still, I need a lot of work. I also cannot defend. At all. So I will be working on that as well. I hope some other people will jump in and tell of their objectives as well. It will be cool to see. I will try and keep you all updated on how things progress, but it most likely wont progress very far. I will try though. Grin

Yes, keep us aware ... Having someone to duel with is very important and can make you doing wonderful progress with all the material you can find on the web Wink

KalSaj
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 10:51:04 PM »

I know virtually nothing about the different forms for saber fighting
...on how things progress, but it most likely wont progress very far.

Don't sell yourself short! If you work t it with passion (and especially with a partner), I am sure you will be amazed at how much you can grow. Folks are always here to help if you ask!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: