Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Archon v3.1 Review  (Read 3884 times)
GreenGuardian
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: September 03, 2017, 03:29:33 PM »

I was very impressed with the Archon v3.1. It was much smaller than I had expected, yet I find it a very comfortable hilt. The brightness and sound quality are more than adequate, and the blade is overall a good buy. It fits well on my hip, and the covertec clip holds it in place very well even when I am running. I am also very pleased with the gesture recognition, even if I went for the most basic soundboard. I can tell differences between mine and a friend’s (that has the “premium” Obsidian soundboard), but I honestly view the differences as the lightsaber’s “personality.”

However, there is one part of the lightsaber’s construction that I have a small problem with (that I cannot control; my placement of my covertec wheel wasn’t the best, but that’s on me): The blade retention screw. And there’s nothing wrong with the one on the hilt. It’s just the fact that there’s only one. Since the emitter is so shallow, the one retention screw does hold the blade in place, but it wobbles. Quite significantly. It seems to me that the best way to do it is to have another screw (or two, maybe) on the other side of the emitter off-set from the current one. That way, the blade would be held in place by two pressure points (or three), and thus not move nearly as much. Now, the blade holds up very nicely in duels (and my friend and I don’t really go easy on them either), and the wobble is very minor, but it is noticeable.

Overall, I would still rate the Archon v3.1 as a 5-star buy.

daxma
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -10

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 04:08:49 PM »

I have only one retention screw for my dominix le. I had to tighten it down to where the screw went into the blade for it to keep from being loose. It wont budge now unless i take the screw out. Sounds like you got a great hilt all the same.

11B Queen of battle.

Dominix LE V4
Dark Arbiter
Sentinel V4

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 07:14:39 PM »

Yeah I screwed my retention screw pretty much into the blade and the wobble goes away, but you still have to tighten it up from time to time.

Where are the pictures?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 07:24:49 AM »

One thing I never thought to do with my Archon 3.1, but now know do, is that you can ask US to tap in extra blade retention screw holes for $10 each. Saberforum member Corwyn VonBeck did this with his Catalyst, which seemed to need a similar stabilization, and it seemed to do the trick. I may send in my Archon 3.1 to have them do this, and I'll definitely have it done on my Catalyst, when I get one.

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=33384.http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=33384.0

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

GreenGuardian
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 07:16:50 PM »

I'm back. Sorry I don't have any pictures, but I had a recent development.

The neck broke. For real. I was dueling with my friend one night and it snapped. Nothing is damaged inside; the light and sound still work. It's just the brass neck is broken. I emailed Ultrasabers about it and they said the Archon 3.1 is more of a show piece, and they recommended that I switch to the 2.1 neck and emitter if I want to do some heavy dueling.

I amend my earlier rating to 3-stars, because the hilt still looks cool, and for light dueling and general nerd-things, it would be great, but it loses the two stars for not being truly battle-ready.

BatMike90
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -793

Dark (Knight) Side Points.

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 07:30:49 PM »

I'm back. Sorry I don't have any pictures, but I had a recent development.

The neck broke. For real. I was dueling with my friend one night and it snapped. Nothing is damaged inside; the light and sound still work. It's just the brass neck is broken. I emailed Ultrasabers about it and they said the Archon 3.1 is more of a show piece, and they recommended that I switch to the 2.1 neck and emitter if I want to do some heavy dueling.

I amend my earlier rating to 3-stars, because the hilt still looks cool, and for light dueling and general nerd-things, it would be great, but it loses the two stars for not being truly battle-ready.

I am sorry to hear that your neck broke. But US is right, use the V2.1 enitter for dueling of any kind. I only use the V3.1 emitter for cosplay and showing off to my friends who don't have any Ultrasabers.

Arsenel:
RGBW DIAMOND: Archon v3.1 / Dominicide / Graflex SE /  Guardian
V4 SOUND : Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Emperor's Hand
STUNT: Aeon v4 / Bellicose / Dark Apprentice v4 (x2) / Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Phantom Initiate V4 / Prophecy v3 / Renegade LE / Scorpion (x2)
Star Wars Cosplay Alias:
Merik Wolfe (Jedi Knight) / Darth Marcotus (Sith Warrior)
BatMike90's Soundfonts

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 05:44:47 AM »

I hope they replaced it for free.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Lord Sidious
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -644

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 11:01:36 PM »

Yeah the Archon v3.1 is a fine thin neck. The blade insertion depth is shallow hence care is needed during dueling, plus the threading design. It's a cool show saber more than anything else.

eladlala
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 57

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 11:29:49 AM »

Yeah the Archon v3.1 is a fine thin neck. The blade insertion depth is shallow hence care is needed during dueling, plus the threading design. It's a cool show saber more than anything else.
Same thing happan to me and thay send me a new amitter free even after a 11 months

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: