Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Dark Sentinel V4 customization tracker  (Read 4713 times)
Wahshiya
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 40

« on: September 06, 2017, 01:10:51 AM »

OK, so this is my first attempt at customization of a saber.

My choice for this attempt was one of my mystery saber pulls, a Dark Sentinel V4.  The production version is kind of plain, IMO, but has a ton of potential for dressing up.  Here is the first phase:

So far, I added red rubber to the grip and some accent color on the choke sections and window ring on the emitter.  I still have a lot of weathering and such to do on the outside, but that is the easy part.  However, the next major phase of customization is my first attempt at electronics mods!

Current Ultra Sabers arsenal:
Emperor's Hand - Menace emitter, Emerald controller and v4 Obsidian SB
Archon 3.1 - Diamond controller
Fulcrum - Emerald controller and v3 Obsidian SB
Dark War Glaive - RGB w/ v4 SB
Raven - BR w/ v4 SB
"Revanite Sentinel" (customized Dark Sentinel V4) - Red - stunt
"Revanite Sentinel Reforged" (customized Dark Sentinel V4 LE) - Obsidian V3 SB - Purple w/ QDs
Plus lots more stunt and project sabers
Next up: Scorpion, Malice, Flamberge V2

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2031

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 02:11:26 AM »

Nice. I'd add leather to that or something, would really make the saber pop out more I think Tongue

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 02:47:48 AM »

Liking what I'm seeing here

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 03:02:12 AM »

Great work, this looks really good so far.  Smiley

Isola815
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 594

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 07:33:00 AM »

Nice. I'd add leather to that or something, would really make the saber pop out more I think Tongue

Then do it with YOUR saber and stop putting down other people's work in this section. All too often I see you with a "would look better if..." ideas in people's custom threads, but never see YOUR custom builds, just pommel swaps.

More importantly though...
So far, I added red rubber to the grip and some accent color on the choke sections and window ring on the emitter.  I still have a lot of weathering and such to do on the outside, but that is the easy part.  However, the next major phase of customization is my first attempt at electronics mods!

That rubber looks so tidy! How did you manage to get it so well fitting? Is it a heated shrink wrap or something? I've always had trouble finding the sweet size that will slide on without tearing, but still still sit that tight over grooves without losing detail or being too lose and slipping all the time. I'm absolutely loving the red on the black too! I may have missed your original post about this saber in the MB threads, what color LED is installed?

That goldy/copper color you've used there is amazing too! You've got me picturing entire hilts covered in that now and loving the mental combos that are appearing  Grin

What are the electronic mods you're fixing to do on this one?

Seriously digging this so far and I'm keen to see where you take it from here  Grin

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 11:11:06 AM »

Then do it with YOUR saber and stop putting down other people's work in this section. All too often I see you with a "would look better if..." ideas in people's custom threads, but never see YOUR custom builds, just pommel swaps.

That rubber looks so tidy! How did you manage to get it so well fitting? Is it a heated shrink wrap or something? I've always had trouble finding the sweet size that will slide on without tearing, but still still sit that tight over grooves without losing detail or being too lose and slipping all the time. I'm absolutely loving the red on the black too! I may have missed your original post about this saber in the MB threads, what color LED is installed?

That goldy/copper color you've used there is amazing too! You've got me picturing entire hilts covered in that now and loving the mental combos that are appearing  Grin

Seriously digging this so far and I'm keen to see where you take it from here  Grin
I don't think he is putting down people's work. Just think he is trying add his 2 cents and have a conversation.

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 11:33:13 AM »

OK, so this is my first attempt at customization of a saber.

My choice for this attempt was one of my mystery saber pulls, a Dark Sentinel V4.  The production version is kind of plain, IMO, but has a ton of potential for dressing up.  Here is the first phase:

So far, I added red rubber to the grip and some accent color on the choke sections and window ring on the emitter.  I still have a lot of weathering and such to do on the outside, but that is the easy part.  However, the next major phase of customization is my first attempt at electronics mods!
First off: excellent design mods!  The Dark Sentinel is on my wish list (I have the Light Side version) and seeing what you have done opens up possibilities for customization^^  I only wish that I was as creative as you, Wahshiya  Cheesy

And I don't think your mods are plain; rather, you have a clean looking saber  Smiley. Nevertheless, I look forward to your next creation^^

That's the trouble with the internet: difficult to discern intent/motive behind text without visual/audio cues. 
Isola, I think it's laudable that you defend Wahshiya; testament to your character, sir  Smiley 
But I also think...
I don't think he is putting down people's work. Just think he is trying add his 2 cents and have a conversation.
Granted that I haven't been here as long as most of you, from what I have read/seen of Zren is a dedicated saber fan sharing in a mutual hobby, not someone who is denigrating another forum member^^

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

RevanReborn
Technomancer of the Graflex Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1086

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 05:21:16 PM »

Hey, great mods so far man!  this is looking wicked!

also this:

That rubber looks so tidy! How did you manage to get it so well fitting? Is it a heated shrink wrap or something?

I'd also like to know this lol. 

That's the trouble with the internet: difficult to discern intent/motive behind text without visual/audio cues. 

HAHA!  OMG that is truth right there, believe me lol!  I'm terrible for not knowing how to interpret written dialogue on forums etc. 

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 05:58:11 PM »

The copper looks great on the Dark Sentinel.  I'm also very curious about how the rubber grips were applied.  What's your secret?

Point for the share and lookin' forward to seeing the weathering.

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2130

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 08:50:26 PM »

Love the contrast of the bronze and black

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

Wahshiya
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 03:02:40 AM »

Thanks for encouragement and thumbs up.

The rubber was easy, it is just spray on flexi-dip (only thing I did was tape off the handle area to control where it went).  I started using it on the stock of my custom DLT-19c sniper rifle and it has held up well for that, so I am trying to apply it to other projects now.  I don't know how long it would stand up to heavy combat but for just swinging it and pictures it will be more than adequate.  It actually holds really well once you get down how to apply it.

As to the metallic, it is just stock "aged copper" Rustoleum metallic.  I did take those sections down to the bare aluminum though before painting them, but I haven't done the weathering/shading/highlighting on those areas yet.  

Other than painting, I am considering changing the emitter window shapes a bit, but I want to test out my technique first before I wreck this thing.  I may also try my hand at some chemical etching, but I may save that for the next project if this looks "good enough" without it.  

As to the electronics, this came as a stunt with an AB LED.  I am attempting an upgrade to sound (eventually drop the V3 that is in my fulcrum in here and upgrade that to a V4) and QD for the LEDs.  I will primarily run it in red (or red-orange), but I thought adding the option to change LEDs would be easy enough to make it worthwhile.  I will start a thread in the technical section for the electronics build because I will have a lot of questions.  I have done some initial attempts at soldering and building a function circuit for this rig (my first build worked, but the LED did not get enough power from the board connections, so I will have to re-work the set-up), but I have a long way to go and a lot to learn.

Raven - BR w/ v4 SB
"Revanite Sentinel Reforged" (customized Dark Sentinel V4 LE) - Obsidian V3 SB - Purple w/ QDs

Wahshiya
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 11:28:39 PM »

Outside work still isn't done, but I did wire it up:

I am finally happy with the LED (single Cree Luxeon XP-E2, Red) brightness.  I could not get it to look decent with only 3.7v so it is 7.4v.  Also I was surprised by how much different the lens made.  The ones I got with the LED did not give the blade much fullness, but I used the housing and lens that came with it and it was a whole 'nother story!  I need to figure what the lens that US uses is so I get some more to go with the other colors I might use.  The red is staying in for now though.

Raven - BR w/ v4 SB

Isola815
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 594

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2017, 01:54:51 AM »

Looking good!!!

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2017, 02:47:00 AM »

Very nice indeed

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2017, 11:44:09 AM »

Outside work still isn't done, but I did wire it up:

I am finally happy with the LED (single Cree Luxeon XP-E2, Red) brightness.  I could not get it to look decent with only 3.7v so it is 7.4v.  Also I was surprised by how much different the lens made.  The ones I got with the LED did not give the blade much fullness, but I used the housing and lens that came with it and it was a whole 'nother story!  I need to figure what the lens that US uses is so I get some more to go with the other colors I might use.  The red is staying in for now though.
Looks like a winner to me, Wahshiya^^  Beautiful saber indeed  Smiley

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: