Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Initiate V4 Size Questions  (Read 2576 times)
Darth Kanbis
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -14

...THE FORCE shall free me

« on: September 06, 2017, 01:13:43 AM »

Hey everyone, first post here on SaberForum  Grin

So, about a month ago I purchased a Consular with a 36" regular midgrade blade and I'm absolutely loving it. Been recently thinking about buying an Initiate V4 LE and I have some questions that involve sizing.

With my next order I want to buy an ultraedge midgrade blade because, honestly, I'm not in love with how the regualr midgrade looks. I want to be able to swap the ultraedge and regular blades back and forth between the Consular and the Initiate, but I'm concerned that a 36" blade may be a bit too long for a hilt as small as the Initiate. Can anyone with an Initiate and a 36" blade shed some light on the balance/feel of this combination?

Also, if anyone can provide a measurement from tip to tip of an Initiate with a 36" blade that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Initiate LE V4 Obsidian Lite Violet Amethyst Silver FoC
Consular Obsidian Lite Consular Green

GregG124
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 436

There is only The Force.

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 01:43:58 AM »

Hey Darth Kanbis?

My thoughts on that would be, a blade is only too long if you're too short for it.

If you have a consular with a 36, then the initiate should be fine. It won't look awkward either (at least I don't think so)

Sabers I Own:
Dominix LE V4 (Obsidian V3) - Consular Green
Arbiter (Obsidian Lite) - Consular Green
Liberator V3 (Stunt) - Guardian Blue

Light Side Points Appreciated

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 02:40:38 AM »

I'm more comfortable with 32" blades, myself. Only 36" blade i own is in my Guardian

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 03:00:52 AM »

I don't care for the 36" blade on my Apprentice or Initiate  hilts, but it isn't bad on the Dominixes. The 32's however, are perfect. I have both Mid-Grade and Heavy-Grade 32"s, and they both work great. I don't have any experience with anything shorter though.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 03:04:29 AM »

Length tip to tip with the blade fully seated is just under 44" (43.875). Blade socket depth is 2" if you were wondering. And that's with the standard pommel. Length will change if you put a different pommel on it.

My opinion:

The Initiate is a one handed hilt. If you're going to put a 36" blade on it, you may find that you'll want a different pommel that the standard one to move the balance back towards the hilt. Although you are only using midgrade so that might be less of an issue for you. I only have Heavy Grade in all of my sabers, although I've gotten a couple of midgrades from grab bags. And I'm also in the minority as I prefer the look of the regular blades over the ultraedge ones. Again, purely personal preference.

Despite both of the katanas I own having roughly 32" blades, I don't like that length on a light saber for some reason. It just feels weird to me. Maybe I just need to get used to it, I don't know, but it just feels like the length isn't right to me. That is just personal preference on my part though, I know a lot of people prefer the 32" blades on even the longer hilts, but I've always gotten 36" for mine, except for this last order where I got 32" for my two Dark Apprentices, and a 24" for my Initiate v4. I've swapped all the lengths around with all of the hilts just to get a feel for them.

The 24" is really short to me, but it works as a Wakazashi length blade.

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 03:12:37 AM »

Balance on a saber is all a matter of preference and intended use.  It will definitely be blade heavy with a 36 in an Initiate V4.  The Aeon/Dominix V4 is about perfectly balanced for me (right on the end of the emitter) with a 36-inch midgrade, and it's over two inches longer than the Initiate V4.  I got a 36 inch heavy grade with my Initiate V4 (Grab Bag pull) and absolutely hated that heavy of a blade.  Granted, midgrade won't be as heavy, but it will still be blade heavy. I also have a Consular and it's a bit hilt heavy with a 36, but not bad.  The balance point is on the ribbed section of the emitter.  Since that's the kind of balance you're used to, you probably won't like the balance of the Initiate with a 36.

I echo the others who have said the Initiate is better with a shorter blade.  Unfortunately, I don't have any midgrade 32 inch blades, but that would probably be a better balance for the Initiate.  With a 24 heavy grade, the balance is nice, but I think a 24 midgrade might be hilt heavy.  (I don't have a midgrade in that length either)

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 05:53:57 AM »

I'll add my two cents that I think for one handed use, the Initiates are best with a 24 heavy grade blade. That combination of blade and hilt lengths is juuuuuuuuust right. The balance feels really good. If it's a two handed grip you'll be using, I'd second the recommendation of a 32 inch midgrade blade to maintain that balance. A 36 inch will/does feel "blade heavy", and a thus a bit awkward. 

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

Darth Kanbis
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 06:01:44 PM »

Wow thanks for all the responses everyone. Quite a community we've got here..

Looks like I have some thinking to do. Really wanted to order a 36" ultraedge to switch between my Consular and Initiate but it seems like 32" is the way to go. Ill let you all know what I decide on once I make up my mind ( and my purchase  Wink )

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 07:06:57 PM »

Wow thanks for all the responses everyone. Quite a community we've got here..

Looks like I have some thinking to do. Really wanted to order a 36" ultraedge to switch between my Consular and Initiate but it seems like 32" is the way to go. Ill let you all know what I decide on once I make up my mind ( and my purchase  Wink )

Either way should be safe.  I tend to like the weighting of the 36" midgrade and 32" heavy grade blades for single handed usage (which is my primary method).  I find that the Initiate V3 is a good size for just about any blade, and can even be used with two hands in many cases.  Pretty versatile hilt overall!

Ganaa
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -26

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 02:25:22 PM »

You could always order the 36" blade, and if you don't like the way it looks or feels, cut the blade down to the size you want.

*give me Darkside points*

I may be Sith, but that does not make one a murderer, nor a barbarian.
Seek the knowledge of the Dark Side, bend it to your will, utilize the strength of your passion, but not be enslaved to it.
to be enslaved is the way of the undisciplined apprentice, but you desire to be a master.
Remember the goal of the Sith creed: "The Force Shall Free Me"

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 02:42:57 PM »

Hey everyone, first post here on SaberForum  Grin

So, about a month ago I purchased a Consular with a 36" regular midgrade blade and I'm absolutely loving it. Been recently thinking about buying an Initiate V4 LE and I have some questions that involve sizing.

With my next order I want to buy an ultraedge midgrade blade because, honestly, I'm not in love with how the regualr midgrade looks. I want to be able to swap the ultraedge and regular blades back and forth between the Consular and the Initiate, but I'm concerned that a 36" blade may be a bit too long for a hilt as small as the Initiate. Can anyone with an Initiate and a 36" blade shed some light on the balance/feel of this combination?

Also, if anyone can provide a measurement from tip to tip of an Initiate with a 36" blade that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
It has been my experience that the 36s are too long for a good balance on an Initiate length hilt. Not to say that it's not possible, it's just uncomfortable to me. However, 32s work very well. I know it's only a 4" difference, but the difference is noticeable.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2017, 05:04:53 PM »

It has been my experience that the 36s are too long for a good balance on an Initiate length hilt. Not to say that it's not possible, it's just uncomfortable to me. However, 32s work very well. I know it's only a 4" difference, but the difference is noticeable.

Yeah, it's definitely noticeable, but also pretty subjective.  For instance, I don't much like the 32" midgrades now, because I find them too light.  Personally, the 36" midgrade is generally the lightest I go with any hilt.

Darth Kanbis
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 12:42:54 AM »

Little follow up post..

Wound up ordering both a 36" as well as a 32" ultraedge blade for my Initiate V4 LE as I couldn't make up my mind! From what it sounds like I'll probably end up keeping the 32" UE in the Initiate and sticking the 36" UE in my Consular, as I wasn't thrilled with how the standard blade looked in Consular Green. The film also already began separating near the top of the blade so I figured having an extra blade wouldn't hurt either. I'll post some pics for you guys once it arrives!

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 02:07:21 AM »

Little follow up post..

Wound up ordering both a 36" as well as a 32" ultraedge blade for my Initiate V4 LE as I couldn't make up my mind! From what it sounds like I'll probably end up keeping the 32" UE in the Initiate and sticking the 36" UE in my Consular, as I wasn't thrilled with how the standard blade looked in Consular Green. The film also already began separating near the top of the blade so I figured having an extra blade wouldn't hurt either. I'll post some pics for you guys once it arrives!
Now that's what I'm talkin' about! Why choose? Both its always better.  I like the UE type blades better for most colors except for maybe orange. 

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2017, 01:21:57 PM »

Little follow up post..

And the dilemma is solved. Part of this hobby involves experimentation. I only have one MG blade and one HGUE, just to test each out. All the rest are MGUE. I love them.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: