Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down
Author Topic: Shadow of the Outcast  (Read 47827 times)
Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2017, 06:30:37 AM »

I just randomly found this thread and have really enjoyed what you’ve wrote so far. Nice work Taegin.

Thanks Calon. You should also check out the threads by TD, Karmack, LSG and HB1. Some great stuff there. Karmack has three so far, starting with "We Are Gray...", then "Hide and Seek", and he is just starting on "Wind Chimes" (they take place in that order). TD's "Tarnished night is very good too. He just finished it up. "Children of the Aether" but LSG is quite a bit different, but still very very good. I haven't yet finished HB1's "Rogue One: Resurrection", but so far it has been good too. Check them out, you will probably enjoy them as well. Thanks again. It's cool to see other people I hang out with (on here) reading my stories and enjoying them.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2017, 12:13:18 PM »

Thanks. I was hoping that you'd like it. Gaetana was kind of hard to write, because I knew she had to stay in character from/for your own story. I used the scene where she was talking to Zearic about him being a puppet kind of as my reference point as to her arrogance, and it seems like it worked. You might be surprised at what I have planned for Caedon. He will be an important character in this story, but you won't really know that much about him.

I tried to write this so that it took place at least 2 days before the scene in your story where it said Vader left 2 days ago. And I think it worked out there as well. I was going to make another reference to the Cortosis plant, but I wasn't sure how well it fit with the rest of the timeline.

Twith. Yes. I originally inteded to use Scipio, but then I saw that it was not in the Core, but the Outer Rim, so that kind of threw me off. I know as much about Twith as Rowahn did before he saw it. Virtually nothing. I Wookieepediad it as well, and there was not info on what it looked like, what kind of people lived there, atmosphere, environment, nothing. So I just made it up. I'm hoping that it works out, but who knows.

I thank you for the support, but I really think you should go back and reread your own story, so that you see how great it actually was.

Nice thing about these places - if there isn't already canon information, you can in fact just make it up.  :-)  I love using places like that when I need freedom to create something new.   And I loved the easter egg!  WOOT!  :-) 

I have to echo Dutchman on the readability and enjoyment of the plotline.  I've read books that were not as well laid out and enjoyable.  To bad its so hard to get SW fiction published.  LOL  They'd go ape over all of these new characters!  But if my daughter ever gets to the point of making an indi film, I know what I'm going to pitch - and where I'm getting my writing teammate!  ;-)

An excellent installment and I am greatly looking forward to more!  :-)

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Darth Calon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -480

« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2017, 01:06:49 PM »

Thanks Calon. You should also check out the threads by TD, Karmack, LSG and HB1. Some great stuff there. Karmack has three so far, starting with "We Are Gray...", then "Hide and Seek", and he is just starting on "Wind Chimes" (they take place in that order). TD's "Tarnished night is very good too. He just finished it up. "Children of the Aether" but LSG is quite a bit different, but still very very good. I haven't yet finished HB1's "Rogue One: Resurrection", but so far it has been good too. Check them out, you will probably enjoy them as well. Thanks again. It's cool to see other people I hang out with (on here) reading my stories and enjoying them.

Ok, I’ll check those out too. And await your next instalment.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2017, 09:10:58 PM »

Nice thing about these places - if there isn't already canon information, you can in fact just make it up.  :-)  I love using places like that when I need freedom to create something new.   And I loved the easter egg!  WOOT!  :-) 

I have to echo Dutchman on the readability and enjoyment of the plotline.  I've read books that were not as well laid out and enjoyable.  To bad its so hard to get SW fiction published.  LOL  They'd go ape over all of these new characters!  But if my daughter ever gets to the point of making an indi film, I know what I'm going to pitch - and where I'm getting my writing teammate!  ;-)

An excellent installment and I am greatly looking forward to more!  :-)

Thanks. I would love for Rowahn to be canon, though I doubt LucasFilms and Disney would go for it. Cry

I hadn't thought of it in this way, but I actually been giving Easter Eggs to your stories as well. My use of the Force as a "Song" is in it's own way an Easter Egg. So thank you.

Alright. I usually get one up about every week or two.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2017, 02:23:03 PM »

Welcome Calon!  Enjoy!  We've kicked out a fair bit of writing in the last few weeks.  :-)  Hopefully its worth reading!

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2017, 10:33:29 PM »

Welcome Calon!  Glad to see you here  Smiley

I completely agree with TR: please check out the other entries^^  The stories and writing are disparate but all are thoroughly enjoyable  Smiley. And, should you feel compelled, you could submit your own unique story  Wink

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Darth Calon
Knight Commander

« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2017, 04:43:16 AM »

Thanks guys. I’m not sure if I have the time or the skill to write my own right now. I’m not a bad writer, but I don’t know much about writing books. I’d have no idea where to start and I’d never come up with a good plot.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2017, 07:01:48 AM »

Thanks guys. I’m not sure if I have the time or the skill to write my own right now. I’m not a bad writer, but I don’t know much about writing books. I’d have no idea where to start and I’d never come up with a good plot.

This story literally came to me when I was out playing with my lightsaber. I had my Dominix V4 coupled to two Yari extensions, and the idea for Rowahn came to me. I have an ending, and know exactly where I am going with the story, but I had absolutely no idea how to get there. I wrote the prologue, and the first chapter, and then I was stuck. I had nothing. At all. Then my sister (who wants to be an author, and has started multiple books) gave me some information on how to get started, and mostly what I got from it was make an outline. I did, and even though I am changing stuff as I go, and studying each thing before I write it, and even though I don't have hardly any time to write, I still know what I am going for, and eventually will get there. Like I said in the first post in this thread, this is the first draft, and things are subject to change, but for now I am working, and hoping that it all works out. Other than the fact that I have read quite a few books, I know next to nothing about writing them, so this is completely new to me. As to where to start, think of a character, and then build an adventure around them. Then, develop that adventure into something grander, and finally, just write it. It doesn't have to be in book form. Karm's first two, and TD's weren't. Even LSG's is not completely chapter by chapter like mine is. If you want to write, do it on you own time, do it in a way that you can, and most importantly, have fun with it. I've seen you write, and I know you aren't a bad writer, so if you want to do it, just do it. However, if you don't want to, and you are content just reading what others have placed before you, that is just fine too. I did not originally intend to post this story here, that just kind of came when I started writing.  

Anyways, that was kind of a bit longer than I had planned. Oh well.  Roll Eyes

Darth Calon
Knight Commander

« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2017, 03:15:15 AM »

No no, I appreciate the advice. I may even save it. Thanks.

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2017, 11:57:15 AM »

This story literally came to me when I was out playing with my lightsaber. I had my Dominix V4 coupled to two Yari extensions, and the idea for Rowahn came to me. I have an ending, and know exactly where I am going with the story, but I had absolutely no idea how to get there. I wrote the prologue, and the first chapter, and then I was stuck. I had nothing. At all. Then my sister (who wants to be an author, and has started multiple books) gave me some information on how to get started, and mostly what I got from it was make an outline. I did, and even though I am changing stuff as I go, and studying each thing before I write it, and even though I don't have hardly any time to write, I still know what I am going for, and eventually will get there. Like I said in the first post in this thread, this is the first draft, and things are subject to change, but for now I am working, and hoping that it all works out. Other than the fact that I have read quite a few books, I know next to nothing about writing them, so this is completely new to me. As to where to start, think of a character, and then build an adventure around them. Then, develop that adventure into something grander, and finally, just write it. It doesn't have to be in book form. Karm's first two, and TD's weren't. Even LSG's is not completely chapter by chapter like mine is. If you want to write, do it on you own time, do it in a way that you can, and most importantly, have fun with it. I've seen you write, and I know you aren't a bad writer, so if you want to do it, just do it. However, if you don't want to, and you are content just reading what others have placed before you, that is just fine too. I did not originally intend to post this story here, that just kind of came when I started writing. 

Anyways, that was kind of a bit longer than I had planned. Oh well.  Roll Eyes
Calon, TR's advice is pitch-perfect.  And look what he was able to write!  He's produced an excellent narrative that has (and I feel confident in including my fellow writers Karmak and Lord_S_Gray as well as) me wanting to read more  Smiley

Speaking of Karmack, he got it started.  And every installment that I read, I couldn't wait for more!  Thankfully, he CONTINUED the narrative with his next story!  And then something incredible occurred: LSG submitted his story.  It's different than Karm's, TR's, and mine but by no means should that dissuade you from reading it: LSG's world building is top-notch and fantastic!  All three authors, disparate writing and truly enjoyable reading. 

I say this again, without hyperbole or embellishment: the writing here is better than most of the SW books published.

These three have opened a truly rich and entertaining window into the SW universe with completely unique characters, situations, and settings while flawlessly incorporating canon!  And it is inspiring.  Which brings me to my own writing.  Calon, like you I didn't know where to begin, who to write about, or even have a basic plot; I had only one character and a fascination with Gray Jedi.  So, I visited SWFanon and Wookiepedia and began reading.  Shortly afterwards, I had a beginning and an end, but nothing between.  I developed a mental roadmap with generalized plot points but really no details, not until I started typing each installment.  But I also got A LOT of help from the feedback of Karm, LSG, and TR!  On more than one occasion, I utilized what they had mentioned in a comment and it made my writing AND my story better!  Looking back, I am proud of my writing BUT more importantly because I had GREAT help along the way; I am humbled by my friends and fellow writers who were instrumental in me being able to pursue this passion of writing.

Now, I said ALL of that to say this: if you even THINK that you will enjoy writing about your hobby, respectfully: GO FOR IT!  Honestly, you're in the best of company with these writers and friends^^  Furthermore, it's exciting to have another unique perspective of the SW universe to read!  Frankly, I would invite the entire forum to read these most excellent stories; that's how good they are  Smiley

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2017, 01:30:29 PM »

I think y'all give me to much credit, but ... thank you. 

Calon: I just wanted to echo these guys.  GO FOR IT!  If nothing else, you're among friends here.  We don't care if you post every day, just toss out what you can when you can.  I think the only thing we'd as is that you finish!  As much as we hate coming to the end of a story, its better than getting 3/4 done and then never getting the end at all!  LOL

But no pressure.  Feel free to read and enjoy what's here now and toss out a comment or two.  If you really want to write ... you won't be able to resist.  EVENTUALLY you'll do it.  LOL

As for my own method...  Its actually pretty haphazard.  I usually have a specific scene in mind that kicks everything off and a general idea of where I want to go.  I've done more work on this last one than the others because ...  well, you'll see.  :-)   But I usually just sit down and write with a general idea of where I want to end up.  Its gotten me into a couple of interesting side-trails, actually.

Anyway, welcome (again) and feel free to jump in!  Even if its just to comment, we love the feedback!  Nothing encourages an author like knowing someone is reading his stuff and liking it!  :-)

*feels head inflating*  Uh oh....  *goes looking for a pin*

Darth Calon
Knight Commander

« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2017, 04:44:45 AM »

You guys are too encouraging. Tongue   I really appreciate all the advice, thanks. For writing my own, I’ll see what I think of it once I’ve read a bit more of your stuff.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2017, 05:10:15 AM »

You guys are too encouraging. Tongue   I really appreciate all the advice, thanks. For writing my own, I’ll see what I think of it once I’ve read a bit more of your stuff.

They really are. It is kind of annoying.  Cheesy Cheesy

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2017, 11:42:42 AM »

They really are. It is kind of annoying.  Cheesy Cheesy
Lol. That's us alright  Grin

BUT Calon: you really should give it a try  Wink

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2017, 09:07:00 PM »

Do, or do not.  There is no try....  ;-)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: