Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down
Author Topic: Shadow of the Outcast  (Read 47781 times)
Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2017, 07:24:08 AM »

Chapter 5

Rowahn stood looking over the data that the Twith man, who he now knew to be Lieutenant Koln, had provided him. Just like all data sheets, it was incredibly boring, but he could not do anything about that. He was not seeing anything resembling the Sheathepede-class transport that T’Risha flew, but there was a YT-2400 freighter that had landed a ways away from the city.

“Why has no one been sent out to see what this ship is doing?” He asked the lieutenant.

“Because that ship landed in an area we cannot get too.” Said the man.

“Why not? Surely you have craft that can maneuver around and through the gorges.”

“It’s not that my lord. Those are not simply pits and gorges. Nobody is allowed out there.” He replied.

“Why not? Aren’t they just old battle scars from you time fighting with Hyabb?”

“Heh, no. Those are the wildlands. Nobody goes out there, because nobody ever returns. They are inhabited by gorogs you see. Massive, highly dangerous creatures they are.”

“I have heard of them” Rowahn stated. “I didn’t know this was their planet of origin though. Why have you not found a way to deal with these . . . creatures?”

“Well, the last time someone tried, about three years ago I believe, they barely made it out alive, and that is only because they had a way to neutralize the beast.” Koln said

“Who was this person?” asked Rowahn.

“I’m not entirely sure. Someone had paid him to bring a gorog to Cato Neimoidia. I have no idea why.” Came the reply of the Twith man. “All I know is that they did capture one, but I have no information on how or why.”

“Do you have any form of a map of any of the territory out there that I may use?”

“Yes, we have some holomaps that should help. I do not recommend going out there though. The odds are very high against your survival.” Lieutenant Koln said.

“In my experience, odds and luck do not exist. Only training and strength.” Came Rowahns haughty reply “I am done here. Have the landing bay doors open and ready for my departure.”

“Yes my lord.” Koln said as he quickly left.

Rowahn piloted his ship towards the gorge supposedly concealing Caedon’s ship. Once he was near his location, he carefully set down and exited the ship. Slowly, he began walking towards the coordinates of the Jedi Hunters ship, being to stay out of sight, and not make too much noise. There had to be lookouts around the ship. If not for Rowahn, than definitely for gorogs.

After moving for about five minutes, he came over a rise. Quickly stopping and laying down, he felt his heart beat a little faster. A few meters away sat the ship. There was no one in sight, but he could hear work going on inside.

I should attack now. He thought as he watched the ship. They are unsuspecting, and will be easily dealt with. As he carefully stood up to begin moving towards the ship, he heard something, or maybe he had felt it. Something was coming. It sounded like two trumpets playing two single notes. Never changing, but ever present. Just a constant hum. Just then, he saw two men hurrying back towards the ship. Quickly going prone again, he watched as the men entered the ship, and it took off.

What was that?  He wondered. Just then he heard something else. A stronger, louder sound. Not by any means like what he had just heard. This one was dangerous. Full of fury and rage, but with no constraint. Then he felt it. The ground was trembling. It was coming from the direction of his ship. Then it registered. Gorog! He thought as he stood up, and began running back the way he came. As he ran, he removed his saber from his back. He could move faster with it in hand, and he also needed to be ready if he did not reach his ship in time.

As he rounded the final bend before his ship, he saw the beast coming. That thing is huge. He thought as he continued to run. Quickly opening the hatch with the Force, he leaped, and landed inside the cockpit. As fast as he could, he fired up the engines, and lifted off. The gorog had seen him now, and he had to get out fast. However, he had nearly blocked himself in. He could not go up because he was under an overhang. He could go back because of the gorog, and there were walls on either side of him. Of course the only way was forward, but even that was a tight fit. They saw me coming, and those two men were sent to attract a gorog to my position. He thought with annoyance. I should have realized Caedon would know I was following. Because of its size, the Gorog could not keep directly behind him. Even with that one advantage, Rowahn needed to hurry. It took all of his piloting skills to get him to a place where he could fly out of the gorge. As he quickly climbed to the top of the crevice, he checked his scanners. He realized too late that the monster was almost directly above him. As he shot out the opening, a massive hand came flying down at him. Spinning to avoid a head on collision, he thought he made it just out of reach of the thing. He had not been so lucky. As the titan swung its other hand at the ship. He was almost out of range, but not quite. The tip of his gigantic finger smashed into Rowahn’s ship sending him spinning towards the ground. Rowahn managed to keep himself from crashing and killing himself, but the damage done to the ship was considerable.

As he hit the ground, he could see that one wing had completely snapped off, while the other was dented and bent. He got the hatch open, and made it out of the ship. However, he was still disorientated from the crash. As his mind began to clear, he realized that he no longer had his saber. He didn’t have time to go back for it though. The gorog was nearly upon him. Quickly surveying his surroundings, he headed off in the opposite direction. He knew he couldn’t outrun the creature for long, but hopefully he could find something useful. He saw the shadow even before he sensed the danger. Force dashing to the side, he barely made it out of the way of the giant monsters hand as it came smashing down. The shock from the impact threw him forwards even more, but he managed to keep his balance, and stay upright when he landed. Quickly turning around and assessing the situation, he took off running back towards the gorog. There was no confusion in the creature, it was not that smart. All he saw was an annoyance that he could eat, and it was coming right towards him.

The gorog swept his hand down towards Rowahn, but just at the last moment, Rowahn jumped. Launching himself into the air, and landing on top of the gigantic creature’s hand. Then he proceeded to run up his arm. Once passing the creature’s immense elbow, he dropped to the lower section of his arm, and continued running. The creature’s skin was slick, but there was still enough traction to let Rowahn run. There was nothing the gorog could do other than bellow its rage. That alone was enough to knock Rowahn off though. As he fell towards the ground, the unleashed a massive blast of Force lighting towards the monster. It was something he had been practicing whenever he could train alone, and away from others. He could not really control it, so it just came out in an extremely powerful blast. It did hit the gorog, and even though it did not do hardly any damage, it was enough to slow it down for a few seconds. Just long enough for Rowahn to Force dash back towards his Starfighter. He knew he would never reach the ship before the gorog caught up to him again, let alone get inside and retrieve his saber. So as he approached the ship, he threw as powerful of a Force blast at the cockpit window as he could, creating a hairline fracture on the window. Then used the Force to activate his saber, and pull it to himself through the window. The crack, activated blade, and small diameter of the hilt working together was enough to completely shatter the window, and bring his saber to himself.

He quickly turned around, just in time to see the monster swinging both his hands together in a clapping motion, hoping to catch his prey in between. The beast was fast, but with the Force, Rowahn was faster. Leaping over one hand as it came near, and then landing on the other side, with his saber activated. As the two massive hands slammed together, Rowahn was running towards them. Before the gorog could respond, he swung his saber at the beast’s exposed hand, and cut a deep gash in it. As the gorog cried out in pain, he swung his hand back, and swatted Rowahn through the air. The hit itself had not broken any bones, but he was still flying, and falling fast towards the ground. Using the Force to strengthen his bones, he hit the ground. Rowahn groaned inside the small plume of dust that he had just raised. Again, there was no broken bones, just a large bruise. As he staggered to his feet, he realized that he no longer had his saber. Must have flown out of my hand. He thought as he looked around.

Searching the ground around him, he found it near the gorog. “Great” he mumbled as he looked at the beast. Slowly moving towards the creature, he took the time to quickly study it and look for any weaknesses it might have. It did not have scales, or any other type of armor other than its thick, leathery skin. For the most part, it was fairly simple. Humanoid except for its unusually short legs, just much, much bigger and uglier. The multiple tusks jutting out around its mouth were not a pleasant sight. He could see no particular strength nor weakness to the thing, he would just have to try multiple things till he got it to work.

By the time the gorog had found him again, he was almost close enough to get his lightsaber again. As soon as the beast had spotted him, it had begun to run towards Rowahn. Realizing quickly that he would not have enough time to reach his saber before the monstrosity was upon him, Rowahn called it too him with the Force. The blade was flying towards him fast, and the gorog was getting closer. Then the saber stopped, and Rowahn lurched towards it. It had hit the ankle of the colossus, causing it to freeze in place, and pull Rowahn towards both it and the gorog. Releasing his pull on the saber, Rowahn landed on the ground tumbling. Gaining his feet again quickly, he saw that the gorog was trying to reach for him, and pick him up. Waiting till the last second, Rowahn jumped. Clearing the gorog’s hand, and landing near its foot. Lifting his foot, the creature tried to stomp on Rowahn. With a quick dive roll, he made it out of range just as the foot smashed into the ground. As he rolled, he grabbed his saber, and then leapt up. The tremors from the impact of the gorog’s foot threw Rowahn higher into the sky than he had planned. However, he made the best of it, maneuvering himself so that he landed at about the giant’s, and plunging his saber in up to the emitter. The creature screamed in pain, and anger his palm towards Rowahn, like one would an annoying insect. Before it reached him however, Rowahn jumped up higher, and did it again. He quickly worked his way up the behemoth’s leg, and was soon stabbing his saber in between the ribs of the monster. The damage being caused was not great in comparison to the overall size of the beast, but it was enough to anger the thing.

Eventually, after many close calls with the gorog’s hand, he made it to his shoulder, from where he launched himself onto the head of the titan. Plunging his blade in deep, and pulling it backwards. Rowahn wasn’t even sure if his blade would penetrate the bone, but from to reaction the gorog gave him, he figured it must have. The beast shook his head furiously, causing Rowahn to lose his balance, and begin sliding down the monsters face. Carefully, Rowahn used the Force to angle his decent away from the gorog’s mouth, and onto one of its tusks. After a quick slice at the behemoth’s face, the monster began to roar, and stagger back away from the blow. The sudden movement and small diameter of the platform caused Rowahn to rock back and forth trying to regain his balance. When the rocking finally subsided enough for Rowahn to make a plan, he quickly saw how he could defeat the beast. He immediately jumped to another tusk, and as he flew, swung his saber in a crimson arc, slicing the tusk he had just been standing on off. Then, jumping back onto the head of the gorog, he threw his saber, cutting off another tusk. Once his saber was back in his hand, he slammed the pommel into the hole he had made earlier to provide him with support. Picking up the two fallen tusks off the ground with the Force, Rowahn raised them up in front of the massive head, and before the creature could swat them out of the air, Rowahn pulled the tusks into the two ebony black eyes of the gorog with all the strength and Force he could muster. Then, running and jumping off the front of the beast, he spun in midair, and then channeling all his rage, fury, and pain into two incredibly strong Force blasts, mingled with Force lightning, and a cry from the deepest part of the living Force, he hurled them at the tusks now protruding from the gorog’s gruesome face, lodging them even deeper into the giant’s eye sockets, and brain. The lightning frying organ and system in its body. As he fell to the ground, Rowahn maneuvered his body so that he could land and quickly roll out of the way of the falling colossus. The beasts teetered for a long moment, and then slowly began to fall. The sound of the wind rushing around the gorog’s body as he fell, and then the crash as his body connected with the earth was deafening.

It was dead. He, Darth Rowahn of the Inquisitorius, and apprentice to Darth Vader had defeated one of the most powerful creatures in the entire galaxy. As he walked towards the gorog to retrieve his saber still stuck inside the massive beasts head, he could feel the fatigue coming on. He needed to get back to his ship, and to the city if he could. He needed to rest, heal and meditate. For as he was fighting, he could feel and sense the Force much stronger than he ever had before. He had been hearing that strange song, but this time it was full of energy and anticipation as if it were some sort of song specifically for fighting. A battle song. While the power it had given him was enticing, he knew that it was the same type of thing he heard and felt whenever he was around Jord, and that was something he could not allow to flourish inside of himself.

Tugging the saber out, he used it as a crutch to support his increasingly tiring body, then stood back and surveyed his work. He had done well. This was no simple vorynx, this was something else entirely. Something bigger, and far deadlier. And he had killed it.

It was time for him to head back. He could feel the pain growing unbearable. Reaching inside himself, he felt for the Force. He needed it to dampen the pain, and strengthen his limbs. However, no matter how hard he searched. He could not find it. The Force was gone. He had used up every ounce of power he had trying to defeat this monstrosity, and now he had nothing left to pull from. Even the land around him felt empty of everything. He could still feel the presence of the Force, but there was no way for him to access it. It was as if he had a reserve of power inside of him, and once it was used up, there was no more. As he struggled to wrap his mind around this thought, he slowly drifted into unconsciousness. Everything went black.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2017, 07:25:15 AM »

Sorry it took so long for me to get this one up. I meant to have it up Sunday, but I didn't have a chance to finish writing it. Hope you enjoyed it.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2017, 07:59:04 AM »

Wow, his ... batteries died?  HE'S THE ENERGIZER BUNNY!  I KNEW IT!  SITH BUNNY FROM... 

Ahem.  Yeah.  Sorry....

Seriously, intense scene.  This guy has a real issue with being the biggest and baddest dude around.  Looks like it is going to cost him this time.  :-)  And the song is there... And he refuses it, because SHE apparently uses it.  LOL
Serious ego problem!  Again, costly...

Can't wait for more!  Keep going!  :-)

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2017, 05:45:18 PM »

He's back!

I never knew that a gorog existed (in the SW universe  Wink) but when I looked it up on Wookiepedia...that is one savage beast!  Speaks volumes that Rowahn was able to kill it.  However, I like that even in doing so, the endeavor exhausted him.  But now he's in hostile territory, surrounded by wildlife wanting to kill him, and a powerful adversary.  Oh, and his ship is so much scrap  Roll Eyes

And that was one intense battle!  The imperfect use of Force-Lightning brings up a point: knowing Palpatine and Vader like we do, we know that they keep the most powerful weapons in their personal arsenal to themselves.  It would figure that someone basically teaching themselves would have a bit of trouble with precision and fine tuning.  Reminds me of the "Strong but unskilled" trope...well, for the Force-Lightning that is  Wink. Can't wait for the next chapter!

Until next installment friends  Smiley

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2017, 10:35:39 PM »

I can only echo what Karmack and Dutchman have said, brutal combat and what a finish...it own tusks into its eyes...and great ending, he really pulled out everything he had to win that fight, and now has nothing left...such intense use of the force in such a small period of time in most of the EU seems to have two effect, into he short term it leaves them utterly drained, but when they recover they tend to be able to handle it better and go even further...its like a muscle for such intense use you should build up your strength/tolerance over time, otherwise if you push too hard it will break just like Rowahn has just found out. 

I wonder though, if someone were to find him now who would he be safer with, Jord, or Caedon?

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2017, 11:59:04 PM »

I wonder though, if someone were to find him now who would he be safer with, Jord, or Caedon?

*whispers* Caedon....  ;-)

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2017, 03:58:28 AM »

Wow, his ... batteries died?  HE'S THE ENERGIZER BUNNY!  I KNEW IT!  SITH BUNNY FROM...  

Ahem.  Yeah.  Sorry....

Seriously, intense scene.  This guy has a real issue with being the biggest and baddest dude around.  Looks like it is going to cost him this time.  :-)  And the song is there... And he refuses it, because SHE apparently uses it.  LOL
Serious ego problem!  Again, costly...

Can't wait for more!  Keep going!  :-)

He's back!

I never knew that a gorog existed (in the SW universe  Wink) but when I looked it up on Wookiepedia...that is one savage beast!  Speaks volumes that Rowahn was able to kill it.  However, I like that even in doing so, the endeavor exhausted him.  But now he's in hostile territory, surrounded by wildlife wanting to kill him, and a powerful adversary.  Oh, and his ship is so much scrap  Roll Eyes

And that was one intense battle!  The imperfect use of Force-Lightning brings up a point: knowing Palpatine and Vader like we do, we know that they keep the most powerful weapons in their personal arsenal to themselves.  It would figure that someone basically teaching themselves would have a bit of trouble with precision and fine tuning.  Reminds me of the "Strong but unskilled" trope...well, for the Force-Lightning that is  Wink. Can't wait for the next chapter!

Until next installment friends  Smiley
I can only echo what Karmack and Dutchman have said, brutal combat and what a finish...it own tusks into its eyes...and great ending, he really pulled out everything he had to win that fight, and now has nothing left...such intense use of the force in such a small period of time in most of the EU seems to have two effect, into he short term it leaves them utterly drained, but when they recover they tend to be able to handle it better and go even further...its like a muscle for such intense use you should build up your strength/tolerance over time, otherwise if you push too hard it will break just like Rowahn has just found out.  

Thanks guys. I wasn't sure how you'd take this entry. It is a little different, but worked out way better than I had originally planned (for Caedon to disable the ship, and that's all. So much better getting smashed by a gorog.). Then I started thinking about Force Unleashed II, and I remembered fighting the Gorog in there. Looking at Wookieepedia, I saw that their origin planet was unknown, so I figured hey, why not, I already did a lot of other stuff with Twith, so why not just add one more thing. I am still trying to decide it Hyabb sent them there as war machines during the war between them, or if Twith sent them to Hyabb. Anyways, that is just a tangent for me to explore sometime.

*whispers* Caedon....  ;-)

A good question, but the answer is definitely not Caedon. He'd kill him in a heartbeat, then pretend he had never been alive. But Jord is a Jedi (of sorts). They (generally) don't kill unless they have too. Whether or not she would help him heal, I'm not sure, but she definitely would not kill him.

You guys have given me an idea for a possible interlude. Might have to explore it, though I don't know how well it would work. The more I think about it, the more I think it would work. I guess I may have to work on that next. We'll see.

Again, thanks for the comments. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

EDIT: Did any of you catch my attempt at a nod to Obi-Wan in ANH, or did I completely fail with it?

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2017, 12:57:42 AM »

Chapter 6

It was dark. No light could be seen. All Rowahn could think of was how blind and vulnerable he is. As he waded through the murky blackness, he could felt as though he himself was starting to fade. To turn into the black nothingness that surrounded him. Then he saw it. A brightly lit corridor, clean, and beautiful. Absolutely pristine in every way shape and form. The massive pillars, the brown and purple carpet, even the men and women of many different races that walked the hall. Their robes flapping behind them as they walked, their conversations about training and control. Every one of the many young children were well behaved, and everyone seemed to be kind. He recognized some of them. Obi-Wan Kenobi and his apprentice Anakin Skywalker. Luminara Unduli and her padawan Barris Offee. Depa Billaba and her apprentice Caleb Dume. Dume was one of the few people to ever think to include him. He was always nice to him, even with the age difference between them. This was how he remembered it. The Jedi Temple. That was before the Clone Wars. Before Order 66. Before the men and women who were once peace keepers became something else. It was a time when he was weak. A time when he could feel pain. A time before the Empire.

Those days where gone. As was the memory. Once again in the deep blackness, he wandered. Looking around, he once again saw a light, though this time it was not the halls of the Jedi Temple. It was a planet. Why it was lit he couldn’t say, because though he knew there was life on the surface, there was no star to be seen. As he watched, the planet began to move. Not as a normal planet would, orbiting around a star, but in a straight line. Off into space. It wasn’t getting any further away from him though, so he decided to get a closer look. Swimming freely through the darkness now, he quickly came into easy view of the surface. Beams of like dancing around. Blue, green, yellow, orange, purple, pink, and even a few red. He instantly knew what they were. Lightsabers. These were no Jedi, but neither were they Sith. They were something else, something in the middle. As he watched, he saw that they were not fighting, they were practicing. It was beautiful to watch them practice. Some, he saw, acted like water. Always on the move, yet nothing ever happening, until they built themselves up enough, and crashed like a wave into a beach. Others would summon flames through the Force, and they acted just like the flame. Dancing playfully around, all the while wheedling away at their opponent until they were entirely consumed. He could here strange music, but it was not audible. Not even music really. He did not know what it was, but he had heard it before. Heard it recently, felt it recently. He wanted to see more of these people, but before long, this vision too faded, and the darkness returned.

Once more he began to wander. The darkness pressing against him until he thought he could no longer stand it. He was suffocating, there was nothing he could do to bring himself out of it. He was dying, he knew it now. He had spent everything he had to kill that beast, and now there was nothing left. He could feel himself floating now. Just floating, no longer even trying to struggle. He caught random glimpses of people, strong in the Force. A whole society of them, yet their view of the galaxy was disturbed. They only saw themselves as people, no one else mattered, only themselves. Then he saw her. It was a women dressed in red, with fiery red hair. Flawless she seemed to her people, but to him he could see only pain. The vision started to fade, he could hear someone or something around him. No! He thought, I must get back! I must find out what the source of her pain is! She seemed so lonely. All she needed was a friend, someone to stay with her, talk to her. He began to sink back down into the darkness. He was getting closer to her, then she saw him. “No, this is not your place. I must exist here alone. Only one other is allowed, and it is not you. I must wait for him.” That was all she said, but he instantly knew she was right. There was nothing for him there. If he went, he could never come back, and Caedon would win.

Caedon would win.

Caedon would win.

No! He could not let that happen. Jord was a Jedi, and one much too powerful for Caedon to deal with. Even if he could, Rowahn would not let him. Besides that, there was something he needed to know from her. He began to see cracks in the darkness. Everything was leading to a single point, Rowahn touched it, and the darkness shattered. He could see again, he could feel again. All his senses were working, and he could feel a fire within. It was like having a song in his heart. He could hear it clear as day, and he could feel it strengthening his bones. It was power, and it was his. Focusing the Force on the gash on his chest that he could feel was just barely starting to heal, he waited. Waited as the listened to the sounds of healing. Not a song like when he had fought Jord, but still something similar. He did not know what it was, but he saw now that it was nothing to be afraid of.

As he slowly began to rise, he looked around him for the first time. Standing off to the side with a blaster pointed at his head was a man. The man was tall, wearing random pieces of armor from various eras and groups. The blaster was something akin to the E-22 double barreled blaster rifle that was most commonly used by the Imperial Shoretroopers.

“Hello there!” He said before moving again. “Don’t worry, I won’t try anything.”

“Who are you?” The man asked.

“No one of consequence.” He said joking smirk on his face. After the man relaxed a little, he spoke again. “My name is Rowahn.”

“Ethan Playn.” The man replied. "Sorry about the. . . rude awakening.” He added with a bit of sarcasm in his voice. “I didn’t know who you were, or what you would do when you woke up.”

Rowahn started to stand, but grunted, and let himself back down.

“The wound on your chest has just barely started to heal. Be careful or you will open it up again.”

“Thanks for the advice, but I don’t have time to rest.” Rowahn said as he slowly began to rise again, grimacing at the pain. “Ti-Rell isn’t going to stop and give me time to recov--”

“Ti-Rell? Like Caedon Ti-Rell?” The other man interrupted.

“Yes. He has contract with the Empire you hunt a young Jedi name T’Risha Jord. He stole the job from me, lured me here, than unleashed a gorog on me.” Rowahn said with disgust. “I’m gonna find him, and when I do, I’m going to kill him.”

“So you’re Imperial. I figured you might be after seeing your gear and outfit. What are you, some sort of Special Forces?

“Something like that. We are specialized in hunting remaining Jedi, and any other Force wielders who defy the Empire.” He replied. “My ship crashed and is in need of repairs. But I don’t have the mechanical knowledge to work on it myself. You think you could help me back into the city?”

“Sure thing. After that though I’m going to go after Caedon for you. You’re not the only one who has a score to settle with him. I haven’t heard a word about him in the past few years, so I gave up following him.” He said, then after a few moments started again. “He killed my sister a few years back. I wasn’t anything more than a simple scholar back then. I was teaching at the University of Bar’leth at the time, and for some reason Caedon killed her. He had no reason, no contract, he just wanted to. I followed him for a while after that, but still never caught up with him. They wouldn’t take me back at the university, so I became a bounty hunter. Nothing else would pay enough for me to live on. Eventually I made enough to get my own ship, but I’ve been searching for traces or rumors of Caedon since. Never found anything until today when you talked about him. I’ll help you get back to the city, but then I’m going after Ti-Rell. Any information you can give me would be appreciated.”

“There is not too much I can tell you, other than that he is flying a Corillian YT-2400 light freighter, and has at least two other crew members, probably more. He is following the same person as I am, and using the same tracking beacon. I can get that to you before you leave if you want it.” Rowahn replied after thinking about what this Ethan had said. “I’ll gladly accept your help. I’m going to need a few days to repair my ship and heal.” Then as an afterthought he said “Thank you. I probably would not have made it if it weren’t for you.”

“No problem. I wouldn’t have gotten a lead on Ti-Rell if I hadn’t helped, so I should be the one thanking you.” Playn replied. “But enough of this talk, we should probably get you and your ship to the city.”

It had taken them a while to gather the pieces that were scattered around, but eventually they had most of the salvageable parts, and were headed back to the city. It was a short flight, and they were soon docked. As soon as the pieces of the ship were unloaded, and Rowahn had given Ethan the transponder codes, he had taken off heading in the direction of the planet Belassar. It was another small planet that Rowahn did not know much about, other than it was just off the Namadii Corridor. Jord tracking beacon had been on the planet since Rowahn woke up, and hadn’t moved yet. Assuming that Caedon had followed her there, Playn had left seeking revenge for his sister. While Rowahn wanted to kill Caedon himself, he was okay with Ethan doing it. It would save him time and frustration. He needed to be able to completely focus on Jord. He needed to know what she was doing that made her be able to beat him so easily each time they had fought. It wasn’t that she was a better warrior or Force wielder, she just knew something that he didn’t, and it was that something that was a weakness within himself. He needed to discover what it was so he could be prepared during the next battle.

After Ethan had left, Rowahn quickly went and found Lieutenant Koln, telling him to order his best mechanics to get to work putting his ship back together. He needed to leave as soon as possible, but he also needed some rest. While he had been unconscious for nearly a 24 hours, it had not been restful. He hadn’t realized how long he’d be asleep, or how close he’d come to death on multiple occasions until Playn had told him. Playn had asked him how he killed the gorog, but Rowahn had wheedled his way around the question. He did not want Playn to know who or what he really was. It was enough that he knew he was Imperial. The Inquisitors, though they had been sent of multiple missions, were a well-guarded secret of the Empire. He did not want to make Yiaso, Vader and the Emperor even angrier with him by letting the secret about the Inquisitorious out to the rest of the galaxy. So instead he had just lead Ethan to believe that he was some sort of elite Special Forces. Which was true, just not in the way Playn was thinking.

After a few hours, Rowahn was awoken by the sound of his comlink. When he answered it, it was Koln saying that his ships repairs were just about finished. They had not been as extensive as they looked, and all they really had to do to get it operational again was install a new hyperdrive, and reattach the wing. These had both taken several hours apiece, but the repairs were nearly complete.

“Good, I’ll be down to the landing bay in a few minutes.” Rowahn replied before leaving. On the way to the landing bay he stopped at a fast food diner. He hadn’t eaten since before his fight with the gorog, and it was beginning to catch up to him. The food wasn’t great, but it was better than his standard issued imperial rations.

They hyperdrive that had been installed was not as powerful as the original, but it would do for now. As he took off, he checked the beacon from Jord’s ship, noting that it was still on Belassar. Strange. He thought. I’d have thought she would have fled by now if Caedon had caught up to her. Setting the coordinates for the Belassar system, he entered lightspeed.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2017, 12:58:28 AM »

Sorry, I just couldn't resist those two little references Grin Roll Eyes.

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2017, 03:25:49 AM »

Hatred makes for unusual allies...interesting to see how Playn fits into the Inquisitors battle in the future.
Interesting comparing this vision to Jorya's witht he night sister in Shadow Etude...this has a darker...sinking feel no doubt as Rowahn is on the edge of death, but similar in that there are echoes of things out in the force that intrude on their dying visions.

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2017, 07:57:12 AM »

Hatred makes for unusual allies...interesting to see how Playn fits into the Inquisitors battle in the future.
Interesting comparing this vision to Jorya's witht he night sister in Shadow Etude...this has a darker...sinking feel no doubt as Rowahn is on the edge of death, but similar in that there are echoes of things out in the force that intrude on their dying visions.

The first part was very fun to write. Very different than what I'm used to, (partly because it is so much darker, which in an of itself is different), but also because I've never done a "dream" scene like this. But it also gave me a chance to do a few references to you guys' stories that I don't know how I could have done without it. Maybe now you can see what I meant when I said that you did successfully did something similar in your last interlude to what I was trying to do here. Also glad I got that sinking feeling across. That was a big part of what I was trying to do. Get a bit of a look into what goes on in the head of what is essentially one of the darkest, evilest kind of person in the SW universe. Not quite as twisted as that of maybe Vader or Palpatine, but still one who thinks evil is good. It was different, but I think it was good to tone it down a little, even though there was quite a bit of playfulness when he woke up. I think much of that was due to the fact that he had just survived something most people would not have, and was extremely thankful. It also gives a bit of a segway into the future of SotO.

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2017, 12:17:01 PM »

TR I think that this was your best chapter yet!  You took a chance getting out of your comfort zone with something new...and hit it out of the park!  You really had the duality in Rowahn take the stage: he hears the (S)ong but intentionally ignores it.  That pathos makes GOOD writing!  You really gave us a good look into Rowahn's head.

And I LOVE the references to the Gray Jedi, Zonama Sekot, and especially the Water & Fire Warrior sects!  Sorry, fanboy moment  Grin. Then tying it in to Rebels (Kanen->Caleb) and even Playn's past at Bar'leth; THIS is what makes writing so much fun  Smiley

And Caedon's a busy guy...I think we'll see more of him...

Keep it up TR!  Great chapter   Cheesy

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2017, 03:52:31 PM »

Echoing!  I caught the nod.  :-)  And the rebuttal!  LOL

Nicely written.  "The enemy of my enemy is my friend."  Ethan will be showing up again, I think.  Nice character!  :-)  I am finding that some of the peripheral characters can be the most fun, and occasionally take on a life of their own.

*cough* Coleson *cough*  ;-)

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2017, 03:44:09 AM »

TR I think that this was your best chapter yet!  You took a chance getting out of your comfort zone with something new...and hit it out of the park!  You really had the duality in Rowahn take the stage: he hears the (S)ong but intentionally ignores it.  That pathos makes GOOD writing!  You really gave us a good look into Rowahn's head.

And I LOVE the references to the Gray Jedi, Zonama Sekot, and especially the Water & Fire Warrior sects!  Sorry, fanboy moment  Grin. Then tying it in to Rebels (Kanen->Caleb) and even Playn's past at Bar'leth; THIS is what makes writing so much fun  Smiley

And Caedon's a busy guy...I think we'll see more of him...

Keep it up TR!  Great chapter   Cheesy

Thanks TD. I tried to use this chapter as a bridge between our multiple stories, more so just as a way to solidify them into one universe than to actually crossover, but it was fun to work out the details of how to fit them in. I really hope I portrayed the two different sect of grays right. I basically just used what I knew of the Water Warriors from Zearic, and put it into the perspective of someone watching with no knowledge of what it was, but the Fire Warriors was different. You hadn't really touched on that much, so I kind of just deducted what they might(?) be like, based on how the WW are like water, so I assumed the FW would be like fire. Anyways, it was fun to do.

I don't know if you all caught it, but in the Interlude, the things that Rowahn was mumbling were all important parts of this in some way or another.

And Bar'leth, all the credit for that goes to TD. I needed a past for Playn, and when TD posted about the University, I knew that it would be perfect, especially seeing that Playn's ship is called the Scholar's Revenge. So thanks for that.

Echoing!  I caught the nod.  :-)  And the rebuttal!  LOL

Nicely written.  "The enemy of my enemy is my friend."  Ethan will be showing up again, I think.  Nice character!  :-)  I am finding that some of the peripheral characters can be the most fun, and occasionally take on a life of their own.

*cough* Coleson *cough*  ;-)

Thanks Karm. I agree. peripheral characters are awesome, because you have so many places you can go with them. Coleson is a great example, as is Boba Fett.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #74 on: December 24, 2017, 09:54:19 PM »

Hey guys, this is my Christmas present to you all.

Chapter 7

As Rowahn came out of hyperspace, he checked again the tracker. It was still on the planet. Over the course of the flight, he had checked it multiple times, and is still said it was in the same place. It had been over three days, and the tracker had not moved off the planet. Something’s not right. I’m sure she knows by now that she is being followed, and even if she doesn’t, there is no way I made it here before Caedon did. She has to be gone by now. Rowahn thought to himself as he surveyed the planet below him. It was a sub-arctic planet covered in thick evergreen forests. There was a stretch of forest that looked to have been bombed fairly recently, all the trees were burnt, and many were laying down or completely destroyed. He didn’t need a large area to land his ship in, so he set it down in a little nook away from the bomb site.

As he exited the ship, and began walking towards the site, he noticed other signs of battle. Blaster fire, explosions, and more. It looks like Ethan made it here. I wonder if he succeeded. As he continued to walk, he gradually came to suspect that Playn had failed. He could see visions of battle. Hear the shots being fired, and grenades exploding. Finally he came to the edge of the destroyed swath, and saw a charred body. He instantly knew it was Playn’s.

“So Caedon killed him.” He muttered with a shake of his head. Ethan Playn had been a good man. Angry, full of hate, but many were these days.

Suddenly he heard some sounds. They sounded like they came from an astromech droid. Spinning around, he saw an R4 unit back in the trees. Quickly moving towards it, he saw that there was a ship in a clearing back behind it a little ways. Soon he was close enough to get a good look at it, and he saw that it was Caedon’s Lancer-Class pursuit craft.

Once he caught up to the little droid, he asked, “Were you Ethan’s droid?”

The droid beeped his reply.

“Yes, I knew Ethan, he helped me recover from my wounds a few days ago.”

More beeps and whistles.

“Ethan is dead. Can I use his ship?”

Angry and annoyed beeps came this time.

“No, I didn’t kill Ethan, a bounty hunter named Caedon did. If you allow me to use your ship, you can help me get revenge on him.”

The droid seemed to like this idea, and replied in the affirmative.

“Good, I have to check something else out first, but you can have the ship ready for me when I get back.” Rowahn said. Once the droid went back into the ship, he returned to his search of Jord’s ship.

As he continued in the direction of the tracker’s signal, he slowly began to notice a bit of change in the landscape. Soon it was a very steep incline, and led down into a valley. As soon as he saw this, he knew then exactly what had happened. Caedon had removed the tracker, and thrown it into the valley. Probably replaced it with his own as well. So now Rowahn had no way of following Jord. His anger was growing, but he knew he still needed to remain in control for the moment. Walking around, he soon located the tracker. Caedon was far too good at this game, and he knew exactly how to beat Rowahn. As his anger and frustration began to boil over, he sensed a presence. At first he thought it was Jord, but then he noticed something. There was no song. It was as if they did not know about it, or could not access it. They? How did I know it was a they? Rowahn thought as he stood up. They were coming behind him. He could feel their presence in the Force now. They were powerful, and he was sure they could feel him. They were coming.

He heard the whoosh of blades as they activated, and the two people jumped towards him. Waiting till the last second, and then quickly reaching over his shoulder, and grabbed his saber. Snapping the crimson blade into existence, and spun. The blue and silver blades of the large man connected with my own. I could see the surprise in his face as he must have realized I was not who, or what, he thought. Quickly, the smaller women tried to flank me, her purple blade coming towards me at the same time as the man’s two sabers attacked. With a smile on my face invisible because of my mask, I simultaneously blocked both of the man’s blades, and quickly back flipped out of the way of the woman’s saber.

Landing on an upturned tree root, Rowahn pulled on the ground. The dirt came flying up into the eyes of the two attackers. Just as I was swinging towards them, the woman recovered, and leapt in front of the man, deflecting my strike as she did so. These two were good, and Rowahn liked a challenge, but he would see just how good they really were. As Rowahn swung his blade in a high arc, coming down towards the small woman, he saw the man reignite his silver blade. The flash of light momentarily distracted him, and allowed for the woman to knock his blade out of the way. Neither of them was close enough to get in under his guard soon enough, but out of seemingly nowhere, a Force blast threw Rowahn back against a tree. As he slumped to the ground, and landed on one knee with his hand placed on the ground for balance, he looked up, and his smile broadened. This was fun. It had been a while since he had faced multiple highly trained Jedi.

Before they had even made it up to where he had landed, Rowahn was already recovered, and he could see the uncertainty and disbelief in their faces at his speedy recovery. As they both simultaneously attacked, the large man came barreling towards him, while the woman went off to try and set up a pincer. These two have worked together for a while. Rowahn thought. They are too coordinated not to have.

The man attacked fast, but not fast enough. Rowahn quickly blocked them, and then swiftly kicked the woman. It was a surprise more than anything else, and gave Rowahn a chance to move. Spinning his saber to keep both sides protected, Rowahn moved forwards. He could sense the man moving into position to attack again. Rowahn headed deeper into the valley. It would give the man the high ground, but Rowahn liked a challenge. The man attacked again with renewed vigor, but Rowahn blocked all the attacks coming his direction. After blocking a high strike, Rowahn flipped his saber over his back, and brought the blade out in front, thrusting at the man. He avoided it, but it caused him to break off his attack.

Rowahn had taken his eye off the women for a split second, and she had managed to get in under his guard. She quickly kneed Rowahn in the ribs, causing him to stumble backwards. Before Rowahn could recover, she once again attacked with her blade. Rowahn barely raised his saber in time to block the woman’s blade. Though he successfully kept it from decapitating him, it did strike his shoulder. The one place that they had not put the cortosis weave, though it was a little bit thicker material. Rowahn felt the pain, but it was so dimmed from the adrenaline coursing through his vanes he barely noticed it.

Trying to take advantage of the wound, the man struck out. The three blades spun in beautiful arcs and clashes. Reminds me of a Wookiee Life-Day tree. Rowahn thought as he watched the colors. Every strike Rowahn made, the man parried or blocked. Every strike the man made, Rowahn parried or blocked. There was not flaw in either of their guards. No opening, no way to take the other down without being wounded themselves. The woman was trying to attack again, but Rowahn was smart enough to keep some obstacle between him and either the man or the woman, so they would not have the advantage of numbers.

The woman tried to strike, but Rowahn’s blade parried it easily. Using the momentum from the swing, Rowahn reached out, and Force blasted the man a ways away. He didn’t see where he landed, but he knew he would be out of the fight for a little bit. The thought saddened Rowahn a bit, it wasn’t often that someone, or some two rather, could successfully keep him engaged in battle for this long.

Rowahn could sense the despair in the woman as she saw the man fly away, but she recovered quickly, and began a fierce attack. She was much better than the man was, and the attack was strong enough to give Rowahn a good challenge. She fought hard, and then with an opening he had not noticed in himself, she lunged. Quickly sidestepping, he parried the blow. However, he realized his mistake too late. There were many things saberpikes were good for, but close range was not one of them.

Quickly punching him twice in the stomach, the Force lending strength to her blows, Rowahn bent forwards, causing the woman’s hand to brush his skin. Instantly he could feel memories being pulled to the surface. It was as if she were stealing them from him. Pulling back away from her, Rowahn stumbled back. He could hear her speaking to him, but he couldn’t tell what she was saying. All he could hear was a single word out of everything. “Song”.

The song? What about the song? Do others know of it? Can she hear it? Can she sing is? WHAT DOES SHE KNOW? The thoughts echoed through his mind, deafening him to everything else. As he again took a step back, he struggled to clear his mind.

“What . . . the . . . Song?” He stammered. Then his mind began to clear. “No. NO!” he shouted.

His anger, and hate, and fury, and distrust, and fear, and every other emotion suddenly filling his heart, he attacked. Before he had just been fighting for the challenge, and because it was fun. Now, it was for another reason. His strikes were strength themselves, his swings were almost faster than the eye could perceive, and in his eyes, though unseen through his mask were on fire. The hate, the rage, burning within them. He was unstoppable.

Around them the air grew hot, the snow melting where their feet had touched. Swinging wide, his blade grazed her thigh, and her defense began to fail. There was no longer a smile on his face. This battle was no longer something ‘fun’ or ‘challenging’, he no longer had a challenger worthy of his skill. There was nothing that could defeat the berserker now.

Stopping now and raising his hands, a flurry of dirt and stones flew towards the woman. Some she knocked away or did little damage, but they were a distraction. Rowahn unleashed a powerful blast of Force lightning towards the blade of his saber, and then slamming the tip of the blade into the ground, he mingled the energy with a powerful Force blast, and released the shockwave outward.

The ground around him erupted. The once living plants now dissolved, and the woman was thrown back into the air with such force that when she hit a tree, there were sounds of breaking. Whether it was bones or branches, Rowahn didn’t know, but he didn’t care. Slowly walking towards her slumped body, Rowahn reached out his hand, ready to snap the neck of the woman.

Then Rowahn felt it. It was a disturbance in the Force unlike any he had ever felt before. He could almost feel the waves of anger coming off the large man as he wordlessly barreled towards him in an attack. So fierce was his wrath that Rowahn was driven backwards. Within moments, Rowahn could feel his arm burning from where the man had scored a hit, and there was a hole in his helmet where he had nearly taken off Rowahn’s head.

The attack had been raging for a while now, never breaking off, and still the brutal strikes struck hard. As their blades connected in a clash, Rowahn found himself staring into the eyes of the man. This is when he realized that he would not defeat this man with anger, for the man’s fury was greater even than his own. While it could be a useful force if controlled, this man did not have the experience or practice channeling his anger, and this made it a weakness. He could see the man struggling under his newfound determination. He was big, bigger by far than Rowahn was, but Rowahn had something the man didn’t. He had the song. Reaching into it, he could feel power coming through it. He could feel it lending strength to his limbs. Soon the man made a mistake. Jumping backwards, he left himself open to a kick from Rowahn. As Rowahn channeled strength and speed into his kick, he let it fly. The kick connected with the man’s hip, causing him to stumble backwards, and his silver saber to fly into the brush.

As he took on a defensive stance, Rowahn attacked. The man held his own, but only enough to keep himself from losing any limbs. Slowly, gradually, the man began to accumulate nicks and cuts. Then he seemed to realize something, and jumped in close, once again locking blades with Rowahn. As Rowahn again stared into the man’s eyes, he noticed something. A thin line. He didn’t know what it was, but he followed it down, and then saw that there were others. All leading to a single spot on the man’s cybernetic gauntlet. Letting go of his hilt with one hand, Rowahn reached up and grasped the gauntlet, applying pressure and the Force to the space where the cracks came together. As he did so, the gauntlet crumbled. As soon as it did, Rowahn saw something else. It was as if a memory from the man had come to him. He saw the planet. The one that seemed to fly on its own. He saw the warriors, and he saw a girl. A young togruta, the name flashed into his mind. Jorya! Who was she, and what connection did she have to this man. Looking into the man’s eyes, Rowahn knew then and there that she was something special to him. Then the pieces of hand completely crumbled, and fell to the ground.

When the other man saw this, the terror was evident in his eyes. He quickly stepped away, and repositioned himself into a left-hand defensive stance. But as soon as Rowahn attacked, he knew that the battle was almost over. This man was good with his left, but not nearly good enough.

Rowahn saw that though the man was concentrating on keeping himself alive, his mind was also elsewhere. And as he watched, he once again saw the man’s anger flare, tears threatened to fall as the man stood there, then he charged. Straight towards Rowahn as fast and hard as he could. He saw the strike coming, and effortlessly knocked it out of the way. Again and again he tried to strike Rowahn, until finally Rowahn parried a strike, and quickly spun, planting the pommel of his lengthy hilt in to stomach of the man. As the man stumbled backwards, two things happened at once. Rowahn quickly lunged at the man, but because of the hastily aimed strike, the blade to almost miss the man, and barely hit him in the eye, while at the same time the man launched a Force attack at Rowahn. One Rowahn had never seen before. It was like a mixture of solid Lighting and Force blast, but had different properties. Once again, cracks appeared in Rowahn’s vision, and out of something akin to instinct, he filled the cracks with the Force. And the attack exploded throwing both Rowahn and the man backwards.

After a fairly quick recovery, Rowahn rose walked forward towards the man, it was then that he noticed that the man had been impaled by a branch. However, he didn’t care, he just wanted to know.

“Why did you attack me?” his voice sounded weird. Almost as if his breathing filter had been damaged, and was causing his voice to sound more like that of the Dark Lord himself. However, Rowahn was no longer angry. He genuinely wanted to know what reason they had for attacking him.

“. . . Thought you . . . were . . . Gaeta . . . someone else.” The man replied in a pained voice.

“Gaetana.” Rowahn mumbled quietly. It all made sense now. Gaetana had hired Caedon to set a trap for both these people and himself. She was scared of him, and she knew he could easily take her place as High Inquisitor, making her expendable.

As these thoughts went through his head, another one also came. The song.

“. . . What, do you know . . . of the . . . Song?” he asked. Than thinking differently, he raised his saberpike over the man’s head. Jorya. He thought. Then standing there for a few moments more, battling within himself as to what to do, he deactivated his saber, turned and began to walk away. Then almost without thinking, he stopped. Turning, Rowahn realized what it was that had cause the man to let loose to his anger, then once again beginning to speak, “. . . I . . . I’m sorry. About your . . . woman. But she’s alive.” Than after a brief pause, he continued. “. . . Tell her . . . that Rowahn sends his apologize . . .” And in a quieter voice, but still loud enough to be heard by the man he added, “. . . and go home to Jorya.”

Then turning, Rowahn walked away, back towards Ethan’s ship.

Wordlessly, he made his journey, only stopping once to tell the R4 unit to get the ship flying. After making his way to the ships cabin, he flopped down. He needed to think. There had been so much that had just happened. So much that was revealed.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: