Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down
Author Topic: Shadow of the Outcast  (Read 48142 times)
TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #75 on: December 25, 2017, 01:27:57 AM »

I just wanted to say, TR contacted me awhile ago and had this great idea: disparate POVs from the the same scene.  So after some back-and-forth, we both came up with what follows.  Hope you all enjoy reading as much as it was to write  Smiley.  And special props to TR for suggesting this  Grin

BTW, this takes place immediately after my "Misdirection" Interlude.
****************************************************************************************************************************************

Interlude-Conflagration in the Snow

With the information given to us by Caedon that Gaetana was on Belessar, supposedly looking for a Sith artifact, we’d made the most direct jump there.  And while D’Aylanna and I didn’t trust Caedon, he knew things about Gaetana that most did not.  Still, we also knew that Gaetana was probably expecting us…or at least something.  So, instead of confronting her at the Sith Temple in the Viridias Forest, I had planned to scout out the landscape, looking for the best route.  And my diligence had paid off: D’Aylanna and I had found a part of the woodlands that would work to funnel Gaetana into a shallow-sloped valley with fewer trees and less snowfall.  Well, fewer relative to the rest of the forest.  For the most part, the entire canopy was as dense as ground below.  Still: D’Aylanna and I were able to find an excellent ambush site.

And as the time approached, I went over my mental checklist for the hundredth time.  My lightsaber and shoto were ready, my cortosis glove already on my left hand.  I had been practicing first primarily left-handed saber combat and then Jar’Kai.  I was now as good with both hands as I had been previously with only my right.  I also had several concussive discs in my belt.  This time, I would not fall to Gaetana.  Especially not with D’Aylanna at my side.

Soon, our vigilance was rewarded and we could sense a…dark-side presence.  Even though the underbrush was thick, she had made very little noise.  Interesting.  This…felt…different.  Granted, it had been sometime since I’d last seen Gaetana but… My contemplations were cut short.

Gaetana had stopped.  Peering from my vantage, I could see a tall, cloaked figure all in black, head cocked slightly to the side.  I knew that the time was now.  While Gaetana’s head was turned away, I leapt, surrounding myself in the Force, igniting both of my lightsabers.  Simultaneously, D’Aylanna nimbly somersaulted opposite me, flanking Gaetana, her purple blade springing into existence.

With speed that defied description, Gaetana reached over her shoulder.  But what happened next caused me to pause.  Expecting Gaetana’s signature orange lightsaber, the dark figure instead wielded a red saberpike, black metal extending several feet below where a normal lightsaber hilt would end in a pommel.  It was a large weapon; its presence usually meant one of two things: the user was going to hunt large game or—more likely—the practitioner was a master.

I had my answer as soon as my lightsaber connected with the saberpike blade.  D’Aylanna and I were facing a master.  Thinking I’d see Gaetana’s face looking back at me underneath the black hood, I had my second shock: a black and red mask covered the face of a man.  What the hell…?  I saw that D’Aylanna had the same realization.  Instantly, we both responded accordingly.  

Circling around his flank, D’Aylanna attacked while I went in for a two-bladed assault to distract.  Incredibly, the man not only blocked both of my sabers, but then he backflipped out of D’Aylanna’s strike.  Coming to rest on an upturned ancient tree root, the man called forth a great gust of dirt, momentarily blinding us.

D’Aylanna recovered first, jumping in front of me while I was still trying to clean my eyes.  Her purple blade intercepted the red saberpike just in time.  Falling to the side while D’Aylanna began a ferocious attack, I reignited my shoto.  Looking for any opening to exploit, I saw an opportunity before I could get into saber range.  Instead, I projected a powerful Force Push just as D’Aylanna’s saber knocked the man’s saberpike aside.  Before he could properly defend, my Force Push battered at him, knocking him back against another tree and down to a knee.  Incredibly, he had already recovered as D’Aylanna and I both re-engaged him.  How..?

Using the unspoken rapport that we’d had for years, D’Aylanna and I pressed our attack.  This time I engaged while my wife set up for a pincer.  But even my lightning-quick double attack was parried, setting up the man’s defense against D’Aylanna.  Before she could get into position, he shot a quick kick that halted her.  While it did little damage, it caught her off guard, forcing her to retreat as the man followed up with a spinning defense that covered him on both sides.  But, it did allow me to find a strong position.

As the man had spun out to kick, he’d been slowly heading towards the trough of the forest floor, giving me the high ground.  Using my advantage, I renewed my attack.  After a flurry of swings, first low then high and each one parried, the man responded.  Somehow he was able to riposte from his high parry.  Again, I was forced to break off.  However, D’Aylanna had been busy.  Before the man could recover from his attack at me, she was within close-quarters to him.  Kneeing his ribs, my wife knocked him back.  Simultaneously, she attacked with her blade.  But even as he was reeling from D’Aylanna’s kick, he was able to get his saberpike up, intercepting my wife’s blade.  And while it struck, hitting his shoulder, it did little damage.  Still, I could see that D’Aylanna couldn’t believe it either.  

Trying to take advantage of the man’s pain and—at least I hoped—his preoccupation, I re-engaged him.  Our blades made a flurry of color: blue, red, silver; a plasma cloud that was as beautiful as it was dangerous.  But even as I met him strike for strike, I could not find any hole in his defense.  Worse, he’d been maneuvering deliberately, keeping a tree between himself and either D’Aylanna or myself, mitigating our numerical advantage.  Damn he’s good, I thought.

Then, as his saberpike turned D’Aylanna’s blade away, he used his physical momentum to project a powerful Force Push at me.  Unprepared, it hit me full force, throwing me several meters into the air…and right into the cavernous hole of a taiga cenote.  Landing hard on my back, I momentarily had the wind knocked out of me.  I was out of the fight, at least for a short time.

<<<<< >>>>>

Seeing her husband fall, D’Aylanna felt her heart in her throat.  Reaching out with the Force, she was able to immediately determine that he was alive, if slightly injured.  She knew that she could not afford any distractions, and D’Aylanna was up to the task.  Switching from Ataru to Juyo, she attacked fiercely.  Even the man in black seemed taken aback, so intense was her assault.  And as she pressed, she saw an opening…but it was risky.  Calculating the risks, she committed.  Lunging forward, her blade targeted the man’s leg.  And a split-second before she impaled it, he parried, knocking both blades wide also causing a shallow cut on D’Aylanna’s arm.  But it was costly…for the man in black.  D’Aylanna was now inside his defenses, the saberpike too long at such close quarters.  She threw two quick strikes with her knuckles, connecting both times, causing the man to bow forward.  And in doing so, his skin touched D’Aylanna’s fingers.

Instantly, her Gift—her curse—took hold of her.  Through the Force, she could see within him the inner conflict.  Fragmented visions flew past, a deluge threatening to overwhelm her.  But, she was a master at Force Precognition.  Compartmentalizing, she was able to scrutinize the individual visions without being distracted.  And she knew that that was the key to this fight: she had to distract the man in black.  Even when her husband was with her, the man was a superior saber practitioner.  What was it that she had seen…music?  No, not music.  A…song?  No, the Song.  She knew what she had to do.

“Why do you reject the Song?  What makes you abjure it?” Her lightsaber was a purple defense against the man’s powerful saberpike strikes.  “I can sense the conflict within you.”  Quickly, she had an insightful thought.  “Do you even know why you fight the Song?”  But even as she asked the questions, she could tell that they hit their target, and hard.  The man stopped momentarily, literally stepping back.

“What…the…Song?”  However even as he spoke, he shook his head.  “No.  NO!”  And with renewed vigor, he attacked.  And if his assault had been assertive before, it was savage now.  D’Aylanna was a master at Juyo but even her defenses were being tested.  Losing ground, she kept retreating before the onslaught of the man’s violent strikes.  Working her saber hard, steam began to rise from her shoulders, the cold of the forest banished with the literal heat of battle.  He was able to score another shallow cut on her thigh but, worse, she knew that her defense was beginning to falter.

Before she could spare another thought concerning her retreat, the man called forth with the Force a gale of stones that struck D’Aylanna.  One cut her chin bad enough that blood ran freely while the others only caused a momentary distraction.  But it was enough for the man in black.  Lightning, bright as a star, began to coalesce around his red blade, flowing downward, arcing with the black metal of his saberpike.  Simultaneously, the man stabbed the tip of his weapon into the forest floor, an enormous shockwave detonating outward in an expansive electric surge, destroying much of the surrounding fauna as well as propelling D’Aylanna into the air.   With a bone-crunching hit, she connected with a tree, sliding down onto the ground unconscious.

Slowly, the man in black walked towards her.  He reached a hand out tentatively towards her…

<<<<< >>>>>

Shaking my head to clear the cobwebs, I was finally able to stand without any vertigo.  Using a Force technique to augment my injured body, I felt better.  Somewhat.

It took me a few moments to find a solid platform in the cenote.  From there, it still took me two Force Jumps before I was able to escape the cenote.  Quickly regaining my footing, I ignited both of my lightsabers, opening myself to the Force, searching for D’Aylanna.  That way... Running, I closed the distance quickly.

I felt it before I saw anything.  D’Aylanna’s presence in the Force erupted with pain.  Almost hitting me like a physical blow, I staggered.  Panic began to well up.  Run.  RUN!

And as I crested a hill, I saw the man in black towering over D’Aylanna’s prone body, his hand stretched out to her…

And something…snapped.  I saw red; anger, no FURY that I hadn’t felt in awhile washed over me like a collapsing avalanche.  Wordlessly, I attacked.

My offensive was brutal, ferocious.  The man in black lost ground as he retreated before my assault.  Within a minute, I’d scored two hits; one on the back of his forearm and a more serious strike that cut into his helmet, exposing his brown (hazel?) eye.  And still, I attacked.  The fury of my assault was such that I was able to drive him back, the snow on the ground steaming from the heat in the air.

Sadly, heart can only take one so far.  In a battle such as this one, power was the only capital that mattered.  The man in black was able to recover enough that he stalled out my attack.  Once again, we locked blades.  He was slightly taller than me but I outweighed him by almost 40 kilograms.  And he was overpowering me.  Soon, I was forced to jump back.

That was a mistake.  Faster than anyone I’d ever seen, the man’s leg kicked out connecting just above my hip, causing my shoto to go spinning off into the entangled underbrush of the forest floor, lost.  Grabbing my lightsaber with both hands, I fell into a defensive posture as I adopted Soresu.  And it was all that I could do to keep the man’s red blade from striking home.  Time and again I was able to parry…only to realize that he’d found another miniscule opening to exploit.  He was working away at me and in this war of attrition, it would be a death by 1000 cuts.

Breathing heavily, I forced myself into close quarters, locking blades with him.  For a moment, we stared at one another, his brown eye (so close in color to my own…) and my hazel.  Suddenly, with speed born of Force-enhanced reflexes, he grabbed my cybernetic right hand.  And—somehow—his hand clamped down on it, shattering the servos, positronics, and biomechanical components.  

Once again bereft of my right hand, I fell into a left-handed defensive posture, one that I’d been practicing since Gaetana had taken my right hand before.  But I knew that it was a futile attempt.  If I could not best the man in black with all of my faculties about me and D’Aylanna’s help, what chance did I have now?  Thinking about my wife, my anger flared again.  Fighting back tears of loss, I charged.  But even with my rage fueling me, it was only a matter of time.

On one of my passes, the man followed up his parry with a quick, spinning lunge, the butt of his saberpike connecting solidly to my solar plexus.  Using his momentum, his red blade knocked my blue blade low, leaving me substantially open.  I knew that I had a split second.  I called forth Kinetite, hoping to hit my opponent before he could strike.  But he was too quick.

A searing pain drilled into my head as his saberpike stabbed into my left eye, while at the same time I released the Kinetite.  Exploding prematurely, I was thrown back several meters.  Feeling as if I were swimming in mud, I fought to regain my senses.  Looking down, I noticed—with almost detached interest—that I had been impaled by the tree branch that I’d landed on.  Pain was a constant.  But all that really mattered was D’Aylanna.  My Ereneda.  Looking up, I saw the man approach.

“Why did you attack me?”  The man’s voice sounded…off.  Almost as if I was hearing it through a mechanical filter.  The lone brown (…hazel...) eye that I could see was…inquisitive.  Not angry.  Not contemptuous.  Merely curious.

“…Thought you…were…Gaeta…someone else.”  My right eye was able to focus on the man, even if the rest of my body was…distant.  Almost as if it were happening to someone else.

I thought I heard him grimly mutter “Gaetana” under his breath, but I was probably wrong.  Instead, he raised his eyes, saying “…What,” he began, barely audible, “...do you know of the…Song?”

I wasn’t sure if I’d heard correctly.  The…Song?

But even as I contemplated what he’d asked, I could tell that the man had disregarded his own question.  

Standing, the man raised his saberpike, looking like the executioner that I thought him to be.  But as I sat unblinking, impaled upon the branch, he stood, motionless.  And then he did something that I couldn’t believe: he extinguished his saberpike, calmly replacing the weapon in the holster on his back.  His eyes met mine once more, looking as if he was going to speak.  But then his face hardened and he turned to walk away.

Suddenly, slowly, he stopped.  Without facing me, he cocked his head to the side.  “…I…I’m sorry.  About your…woman.  But, she’s alive.”  He paused.  “…Tell her…that Rowahn sends his apologies…”  He was quiet for a length of time.  And just when I thought he was going to walk away, he spoke in a quiet voice, just loud enough for me to hear, “…and go home to Jorya.”  As he walked away, part of my mind thought Jorya?...But…how?

And beyond everything else, the pain, the sorrow, the exhaustion, one item rang through my head like a clarion bell.

ROWAHN.

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

txdarkjedi
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -2

« Reply #76 on: December 27, 2017, 07:32:00 PM »

Great story so far. Keep up the good work. You have me wanting more.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #77 on: December 27, 2017, 09:06:37 PM »

Great story so far. Keep up the good work. You have me wanting more.

Thanks. You should (if you haven't already) check out some of the other stories here. Karmack, TheDutchman and Lord_S_Gray all have great stories.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #78 on: December 29, 2017, 08:48:19 AM »

Great Stuff Guys! 

TR loved the little Christmas Reference with Wookie Tree Day and the sabre colours, and yikes Rowahn is powerful, integrating a shattepoint like technique whilst also 'siphoning' (for want of a better word) memories of Jorya from Zearic.  And most interesting the distinction between Zearics use of his anger becoming a weakness in the battle but Rowahn who is more used to using such emotions not only sensing this but using his own far better loved this sentence
- "He could see the man struggling under his newfound determination. " so ironic to be so determined yet so unable to use that feeling to do anything effective.

Dutchman good alternate view too...for both of them to get beaten up like that by one man...that gonna dent the pride especially considering one of the opening sentences - "This time, I would not fall to Gaetana.  Especially not with D’Aylanna at my side." umm yeah...a little over confident there...

I think if i were doing it i might have just had one fight scene alternating perspectives paragraph by paragraph rather than a repeat, but yeah good cross over overall in terms of story. 

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2017, 12:55:46 PM »

Great Stuff Guys! 

TR loved the little Christmas Reference with Wookie Tree Day and the sabre colours, and yikes Rowahn is powerful, integrating a shattepoint like technique whilst also 'siphoning' (for want of a better word) memories of Jorya from Zearic.  And most interesting the distinction between Zearics use of his anger becoming a weakness in the battle but Rowahn who is more used to using such emotions not only sensing this but using his own far better loved this sentence
- "He could see the man struggling under his newfound determination. " so ironic to be so determined yet so unable to use that feeling to do anything effective.

Dutchman good alternate view too...for both of them to get beaten up like that by one man...that gonna dent the pride especially considering one of the opening sentences - "This time, I would not fall to Gaetana.  Especially not with D’Aylanna at my side." umm yeah...a little over confident there...

I think if i were doing it i might have just had one fight scene alternating perspectives paragraph by paragraph rather than a repeat, but yeah good cross over overall in terms of story. 

Yes, you got it LSG!  From the Shatterpoint (which is what Rowahn did) to Zearic's overconfidence to the impotence of his anger, those were key elements that TR and I had incorporated to influence both characters' trajectories.

Special mention: that last bit with Jorya was all TR.  When he wrote that, I knew that he'd hit on a key development for Zearic and just loved it. Again: this fantastic idea was TR's and it was a blast writing it  Cheesy

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2017, 09:45:50 PM »

Great Stuff Guys! 

Thanks LSG. Like TD said, you hit it just right. Originally I had not intended Rowahn to be as powerful as he has become, but in A Tarnished Knight TD had Gaetana talk about how even Yiaso wasn't as powerful as Rowahn even though he was the Grand Inquisitor, and I figured I'd run with it. That Easter Egg was really what got us started on this crossover. But I will say that Zearic and D'Aylanna held their own quite well against him, even getting quite a few hits in on him.

Glad you caught the Wookiee Life Day Tree thing. That was the only way I could think of to include Christmas in this chapter.

Another point that I was trying to get across was that even though Rowahn is powerful, he does not have the experience or practice to use some technique. I touched on this in the gorog chapter, but I really tried hard to flesh it out here.

I definitely get you on the how you would have worked the battle, but part of the reason we did it this was was so that you could see some things that one side noticed but the other didn't. Things like how Zearic found a connection when seeing that Rowahn's eyes were almost the same color as his own. That type thing. The other reason I wanted to do it this way was because if anyone ever reads my story without TD's interlude, it will still make sense. They won't need to know the history behind Zearic and D'Aylanna, or Jorya or Gaetana. They are just characters that fought Rowahn and successfully held their own for a while, but in the end lost, but still taught Rowahn a lesson he needed to learn.

But yeah, this was an extremely fun chapter to write, and I hope that I'll get to do more of this type of thing with the rest of you guys.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2018, 02:35:08 AM »

Chapter 8

Rowahn sat as the ship flew through space with no specific destination, he had failed to deal with Caedon, he had no way of following Jord, and he hadn’t even been able to perform a simple execution. There were only two Jedi, and he had beaten them both. But he had just left them there. True, they were wounded, and helpless, but they were also Jedi. Strange Jedi to be sure, but still Jedi. They needed to die, but he had left them alive. Why? Why would he leave them alive? What was it about them that had left him feeling so lonely and helpless? What had happened to him since he began this search for Jord? It have been a long time since he had felt pain like this. It wasn’t physical, he didn’t know how to handle it. For the past 13 years, he had been merciless. Nothing could phase him. But then Jord and these two Jedi had. They had done something to him that he couldn’t understand.

As these thoughts tortured him, Rowahn suddenly had an idea. The tracker! It was a long shot, but he needed something to distract him from what had happened. Rising and finding R4-T3, he spoke.

“Forty-Three, see if there are any signals on this frequency.” He said as he handed to droid the tracker from Jord’s ship. After plugging into the ships computer and searching for a few moments, the droid blipped excitedly. There was a signal. It still seemed to be on the Namadii Corridor, at least for now.

“Plot a course for the signals last transmitted coordinates.” Rowahn said, the excitement noticeable in his voice. Within minutes, they were flying through hyperspace. It was a fairly short jump till reached their destination, but it would still be a while before they emerged from lightspeed. While he waited, Rowahn went through the ship, learning where or what everything was. He needed to keep his mind on something else if he was going to be able to find Caedon or Jord. Eventually he found a closet with some medical supplies, and when he saw them, the pain from his wounds began to come to the surface. He hadn't even remembered that he had been wounded for a while, but now that he had seen the supplies, the pain grew evident.

As he cleaned and dressed his wounds, he thought about his helmet. There was a hole in it now, defeating the purpose of wearing one. He either needed to find a way to fix it, or else get another one. After he finished dressing his wound, he went and found his helmet, noticing for the first time how much damage had been done to it. The saber had taken a pretty good chunk out of it, completely revealing one eye, and part of his face. It’s a wonder I managed to avoid losing my head with that strike. He thought as he looked it over. I probably won’t be able to repair it, but I might be able to modify it a bit. Then thinking about the different supplies and objects he had seen in the ship, he remembered a storage cabinet that was full of armor from all different periods and people. He needed something the same color as his own, maybe a Deathtrooper or TIE Fighter pilot helmet.

Going back and searching through the mess of armor, he found many helmets. None of them were right, but a few had the correct style he needed for it to fit. He finally found an Imperial combat driver helmet that had been darkened quite a bit to be a dark gray rather than the normal white. It wasn’t perfect, but it would be better than nothing. Soon he had switched the visors, and had put the helmet back on. It didn’t fit right, but he would have to make due.

Just then, the ship came out of hyperspace. The coordinates had led them to the planet Dorin, but the signal from the ship was no longer coming from these coordinates. After plotting a new course, the once again make the jump to lightspeed. They emerged twice more before catching up to the tracking beacon. Once at Vaced, and then the second time at Glee Anselm, which is where Rowahn located the beacon.

After gaining permission to land, Rowahn piloted the shuttle down. Putting his rebuilt helmet on, he walked down the ramp, and out onto the one of the few land masses on the planet. Even through the helmets filters, he could smell the air. It was fresh and smelled like saltwater. R4-T3 quickly located the beacon, and after a few blips, headed off in the direction of it. Rowahn followed cautiously. Caedon had most likely just come to fuel up, and then be on his way, but he would still be posting lookouts. If he had the beacon going, then he probably knew that Rowahn hadn’t been killed on Belassar, and was expecting him to show up again.

As he walked, he noticed many of the natives staring at him. There were other off-worlders, but a man in dressed almost completely in black following a droid from a light freighter didn’t look at all suspicious. For the most part he ignored them, even when the women would grab their children, and run off, he still didn’t pay any attention. If they got in his way, he would do what needed to be done, but for the most part he didn’t care. Soon he found the landing pad he was looking for. It was on the outskirts of the city, and it was empty.

The beacon was no longer here, and neither were the mercenaries. Looking around, he stared at the empty platform.

“Come on Forty-Three, let’s get back to the ship and see where the beacon is now.” Rowahn said as he began to turn around. Something didn’t feel right, but he could feel no presence whatsoever in the Force. All he could hear was the stupid song. It was always ringing in his head now. It was becoming more than a simple annoyance. It was becoming a distraction. Even through that, Rowahn could tell that Caedon wasn’t here.

“Blip blip bloop, squee-bleep” the droid spoke frantically.

“Wait? Why? There isn’t anything here.” Rowahn replied getting annoyed.

After another series of tweets and whistles, the droid turned and droved as fast as he could towards some crates over in the corner. Before Rowahn had time to responds, the platform erupted. There were explosions everywhere. Rowahn was launched backwards into the air as one went off nearby. They quickly subsided, and though dazed, Rowahn slowly got up and looked around. Warry of what else might be waiting for him. There didn’t seem to be any other surprises at the moment, but the explosions had completely destroyed the entrance. He would have to find another way out. Carefully he began to look around for a way out. There wasn’t much, but he might be able to climb over the top of the bay walls.

“There!” he shouted to the droid, pointing to a lower portion of the wall. He could probably get up there fairly easily, but he didn’t know what type of rocket boosters the droid had. As soon as the droid figured out what Rowahn wanted, he displayed that he did indeed have rockets capable of doing what he needed done. After flying up to the top of the wall, he turned around and looked back down at Rowahn, his beeps making it clear that he didn’t know what Rowahn was waiting for. Shaking his head in disbelief, Rowahn backed up, and then ran. When he reached the wall, he clambered up a few meters, and then leaped, using the Force to launch himself far further than he should have been able to jump.

As he easily cleared the lip, he adjusted himself so that he would fall back towards the ledge, rather than the ground. His landing was a bit off due to the explosions, but he made it to the top without hurting himself too bad. However, his landing was the least of his worries at the moment. Before he had looked up, he sensed the danger, and then heard the blasters going off in the song a split second before they happened. It was weird, the song was constantly battering at him, causing him to lose focus, yet at the same time, he was much more adept to his surroundings, and none of the blasters bolts came near him. Dodging the first few volleys, and reaching for his saber, he hit the activation button. It didn’t work. Pressing it again to make sure as he continued to dodge. Must’ve been damaged in the explosions. He thought as he focused on the incoming blaster fire. Still holding it in his hand, he ran towards the nearest source of incoming fire. It was hiding behind some boxes, and when he jumped over, the automated turret followed his path of trajectory, and continued firing right until Rowahn ripped it apart with the Force.

Looking for the location of the next turret, he spotted it, this time sitting on top of the boxes. He was still pinned down by two different locations. Reaching out and finding the remaining gun, Rowahn lifted a crate with the Force, and threw it at the first one. Then grabbing the final gun, he reached inside himself, and fueled by the song, he squeezed. The turret crumpled under his power, twisted and crushed far more than it should have been.

Standing up and looking around, he spotted Forty-Three driving down a ramp a little ways off, acting as though nothing had happened. Taking one more look around, Rowahn headed off after him. He sensed the shot too late. Dropping and rolling to the side as the blast flew into his shoulder. Again, he found himself thanking the song, if not for it, the blast would have found his heart, and he’d have been dead instantly. Even so, his should flared with pain as he flopped out of his roll. Three more blasts followed as he crawled into cover, but they were hastily aimed, and none of them hit Rowahn.

After a few minutes, Rowahn heard something moving towards him. Calming himself, he waited, gathering the Force and trying to push away the music so he could actually focus, readying himself for whoever or whatever it was. Then he heard the beeping, and Forty-Three came around the corner.

“I’m alright.” Rowahn said grunting as he stood, leaning on the droid for support. He didn’t want to move so Forty-Three pulled out his electro-shock prod, and zapped Rowahn.

“Ouch! What was that for?” he asked angrily.

The droid just made some laughing tweets, and threatened to zap Rowahn again.

“If you do, I will dismantle you and remove your electro shock, and wipe your memory.” Rowahn threatened, completely serious. The droid stopped after this, but continued beeping grumpily.

They were soon back to the freighter, and Forty-Three was searching for the tracking beacon. They had intentionally set a trap for Rowahn, and this made him angry. Angry that he hadn’t sensed it, and angry that it had nearly succeeded. Caedon was good. He was ruthless and experienced, and this made him dangerous. Rowahn was finally starting to understand some of the titles he had been given. ‘Jedi Hunter’ wasn’t surprising, but the ‘Empire’s Vornskr’ and some of the others he was starting to realize that there was good reason for them.

Rowahn’s shoulder was throbbing from the shot. It had only grazed him, and it had not done a lot of damage, but it still hurt. After applying some bacta and bandages to the wound, Rowahn sat down to meditate. The sounds were once again becoming too great. He couldn’t ignore them any longer, he had to completely banish them if he were to have any control while fighting. Calming his body, and opening his mind. He could feel the pulsing, unlike anything he was used too. The crescendoing scales and chords wound together into a melodic tune. It was immaculate. The power, the majesty, the beauty that could be seen in it, yet at the same time, it was slow, methodical, and gentle. A mixture of brillante* and risoluto.*

It was unacceptable.

Taking one last look, hearing for the last time, Rowahn pounded. He beat the song back. He couldn’t listen any longer. If he did, there would be no coming back. He would immerse himself so deeply that nothing could draw him out again. As he beat against the various threads of the song, eventually beating them back down into a constant hammering. The beating was what he needed. It helped him focus. Reminded him of where he came from. Thud, thud, thud, thud, thud. They were heavy blows. Martellato* and simple. None of the complexity from before was left over. It was a simple constant. Nothing changing, nothing fluctuating. Always the same, but always powerful.

As he brought himself back out of his meditation, he realized that the ship was again flying through hyperspace.

“How long has it been?” he asked the droid, which replied in a series of beeps and whistles. Four hours. Rowahn thought. Has it really been that long? R4-T3 had already calculated and repositioned the ship twice. In a few minutes they would again emerge and then recalculate once again, this time heading up the Celanon Spur. Rising, Rowahn went over and picked up his lightsaber. It was dented up pretty bad, and still wasn’t working. Slowly he began deconstructing it. Many of the outer pieces were dented beyond repair, and would need completely replaced. Once it was finally completely deconstructed, he could see that the crystal chamber and emitter matrix both had minor damage to them. It took very little time to repair them, and he quickly had them operational once again.

Moving on to the casing of the hilt, he removed the dented pieces. Most of them were on the lower half of the hilt, but there was one right below the primary power cell that had it been any higher would have made the saber self-destruct. Removing that piece as well, he replaced it with a coupler. It would give him a nice advantage, and allow him to deflect blaster bolts easier, yet remain the strength and sturdiness of a solid piece of metal. The hilt extension was then rebuilt, and ready to be installed.

Shutting his eyes and opening himself to the Force, he channeled it into the saber. Lifting the various parts and pieces off the ground, and slowly fitting them together. Everything was going great until it was time to install the crystal. Raising it from where he had left it on the ground, he opened and prepared the crystal chamber. Slowly guiding the crystal inside, he could see in his mind the first time he had done it. He had returned from the Gathering, but still hadn’t figured out how to properly install all of the pieces. The wiring was extremely hard to see how it went together. Huyang had told him that he would get it soon enough, and the various masters had just encouraged him and told him he was doing great. He had needed someone else to help him, but no one ever would. It had been days before he figured it out. Caleb had come in and helped him out. He had taken his own saber apart, and showed him how to put it together. Caleb hadn’t actually done anything other than show him what needed done from the perspective of a friend, rather than a teacher. It wasn’t anything that he didn’t already know, but he was able to connect better because of who taught him. After it was done he had run out to show his friends and Huyang. Thinking back to that day, he could remember seeing Jord as he ran through the hallways of the temple. He hadn’t paid any attention to her now, but the fact that she was there at such an important moment of his life obviously made an impression somehow.

The crystal fell into place, and he closed the hilt. Standing up, Rowahn took the hilt in his hand and pressed the activation switch. The crimson blade snapped open as he stared at it. There was something about it. It seemed to be pulsing more steadily than normal. Almost . . . almost as if it were beating in time with his heartbeat. Not only that, but the blade seemed lighter than before. A bit more pink than it had previously been. That’s odd. He thought as he sheathed the rebuilt saber, and headed towards the cockpit.

Brillante, risoluto and martellato are terms in music used to describe the emotion you are supposed to give a section in a piece of music.

brillante - "sparkling, brightly", or brilliant
risoluto - "resolutely, decisively"
martellato - "literally 'hammered'; a heavily accented staccato"

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2018, 03:51:25 AM »

YES!  He's back! 

I really enjoyed this chapter.  In fact, this was my favorite: you really revealed a lot concerning Rowahn but still have that air of mystery to him!  And the nods to earlier characters: wonderful  Wink  But the best part was the conflict within him and the song (or is it the "Song?").  This was excellent writing my friend!  And is Rowahn's saber crystal pontite?!  I LIKE that development  Wink. And the..."lightening" of the blade...beating in time... A Vitreous weapon perhaps?

Lol Don't keep us in suspense TR!  Can't wait for the next chapter!

Oh, I was asking my wife for the definitions to "brilliante" and "risoluto" before seeing them at the bottom; my wife plays the flute and piano. I LOVE the musical references!  My wife tried to teach me but...easier for a rock to fly  Wink

I like this trajectory that you have Rowahn on.  Looking forward to the destination as well as the journey  Cheesy

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2018, 02:19:32 AM »

Rowahn is just getting angrier and angrier...not just at Caedon but at himself i think, failing to sense a fairly obvious trap, his temptation to yield to the song is getting stronger and his resistance more violent..At some point i think he's going to go off at someone or something!

Lord_S_Gray

Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2018, 05:32:42 AM »

YES!  He's back! 

I really enjoyed this chapter.  In fact, this was my favorite: you really revealed a lot concerning Rowahn but still have that air of mystery to him!  And the nods to earlier characters: wonderful  Wink  But the best part was the conflict within him and the song (or is it the "Song?").  This was excellent writing my friend!  And is Rowahn's saber crystal pontite?!  I LIKE that development  Wink. And the..."lightening" of the blade...beating in time... A Vitreous weapon perhaps?

Lol Don't keep us in suspense TR!  Can't wait for the next chapter!

Oh, I was asking my wife for the definitions to "brilliante" and "risoluto" before seeing them at the bottom; my wife plays the flute and piano. I LOVE the musical references!  My wife tried to teach me but...easier for a rock to fly  Wink

I like this trajectory that you have Rowahn on.  Looking forward to the destination as well as the journey  Cheesy

We will see. Lots of things happened in this chapter, and I'm not sure what is going to happen because of it. Honestly, this chapter was a pain to write. I had no idea how to get everything in that I wanted in, and I don't think it is exactly like I wanted it to be, but I am okay with the final product. I'm glad you liked it. One thing I did want to do was bring it a little more towards Karm's part of the universe, and I think that I succeeded in doing that.

Rowahn is just getting angrier and angrier...not just at Caedon but at himself i think, failing to sense a fairly obvious trap, his temptation to yield to the song is getting stronger and his resistance more violent..At some point i think he's going to go off at someone or something!

You are so right, but I think you might be surprised at who or what he goes off on.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #85 on: January 16, 2018, 03:21:26 PM »

Rowahn's immersion into the Song is very interesting.  Particularly the way he's only hearing and being drawn to the Light.  Its just me, but that would seem to indicate that at his very core that's really where he wants to be, or he would seek out a darker melody.

Very interesting.  And I loved your inclusion of the musical terms!  I've avoided that because they don't tend to be "common knowledge"...  But maybe I can be more descriptive using your model...

Nice entry!  Don't fret about the speed of the postings my friend.  I suspect that Dutchman and I are just endowed at the moment with more free time.  :-)  As my sensei reminds me when I fret about lack of progress on my ranking - its a journey, not a race.  And its a long walk, not a sprint.  Thank you for being faithful!

Karm

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #86 on: January 17, 2018, 08:33:23 AM »

Rowahn's immersion into the Song is very interesting.  Particularly the way he's only hearing and being drawn to the Light.  Its just me, but that would seem to indicate that at his very core that's really where he wants to be, or he would seek out a darker melody.

Very interesting.  And I loved your inclusion of the musical terms!  I've avoided that because they don't tend to be "common knowledge"...  But maybe I can be more descriptive using your model...

Nice entry!  Don't fret about the speed of the postings my friend.  I suspect that Dutchman and I are just endowed at the moment with more free time.  :-)  As my sensei reminds me when I fret about lack of progress on my ranking - its a journey, not a race.  And its a long walk, not a sprint.  Thank you for being faithful!

Karm

Thanks. I was going to comment on this earlier, but I forgot too.

I think, because of your own use of the Song, that you have picked up on something that is kind of important, but not really something I had thought about. I think subconsciously it has always been there, but I just didn't realize it till now. I also think that though at his core he want the light as you suggested, he also doesn't realize that there is a darker faction of the song. Which is why if it came down to a battle between Rowahn and any other singer, he would lose. He still denies to song, and because he is fighting against it, it can't help him. He isn't a "Dark Singer" mostly because he doesn't realize that he could be one.

I was just looking through one of my music books, and saw those three words, and knew I had to find a way to include them. You are most welcome to do something similar in your own story if you wish.

Anyways, thanks to all you who have commented. It has been a fun journey for me so far, and I hope it has for you as well.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2018, 12:42:53 AM »

Chapter 9

“How’s it going Forty-Three?” he asked the droid as he came in. The beeps and whistles again told him that he had been out for longer than he thought. They were now well down the Celanon Spur, and were nearing the planet Myomar.

“Good, do you think we have almost caught them?” Again, the beeps were very positive. They should be caught up with them by the time they reached the planet. If Caedon had come down this way, than it was safe to assume that Jord had as well. Of course it could just be another trap, but even if it was, Rowahn was close enough that Caedon wouldn’t be able to escape.

Rowahn changed the bandage, and applied more bacta as he waited. He needed a plan of some sort, more so than just “find and kill Caedon, then find Jord”. He needed a way to disable Caedon’s ship while he went and personally dealt with Caedon. Ethan’s ship had been modified with proton torpedoes, as well as some heavy guns. He could easily use them to deal with the ship, and then after the ship was disabled, kill Caedon. He was done worrying about what would happen to any bystanders. Caedon didn’t care about them, and the only way to beat someone who didn’t care was to be like them. Rowahn was strange. He had always been different than any other Imperial soldier. None of them cared what happened to the people, but to Rowahn, if there was a way to do something without hurting innocent people, than he would find it. Not anymore. Or not now at least. He had to be ruthless. As ruthless as Caedon.

The ship came out of hyperspace, and they were instantly headed for the planet. It was a bad choice for Caedon. Rowahn assumed that he knew how much of a presence the Empire had on Myomar, they even had an academy there. It was a perfect planet for Rowahn, because his status as Inquisitor would allow him to do just about anything, including bombing Caedon. Caedon’s signal was coming from the planet’s surface. Like many planets controlled by the Empire, Myomar had been strip mined, and was now pretty much desert. There were some mountainous regions with a bit of snow, but for the most part it was flatlands covered in a thick haze. The Imperial facilities were located at the base of one of the mountain ranges, quite a ways away from the landing zone that Caedon had chosen.

Readying the torpedoes, Rowahn took aim, and prepared to fire. The ship hadn’t landed yet, but Rowahn was locked on. Forty-Three was piloting, and they were quickly gaining on the YT-2400. As soon as they were in range, Rowahn fired. The torpedoes hit their mark, but the deflector shields must have been significantly upgraded, because all they did was rock the ship. No damage had been done whatsoever. The freighter was now taking evasive action, keeping Rowahn from getting another lock on it. As the ship came around, it made its own attack run on Rowahn’s ship. It was just turrets, but they would still do damage if they hit. Forty-Three bleeped excitedly as he dodge the blasts, and rerouted the power to the forward deflector shields.

In the meantime, Rowahn returned fire. The blasts still didn’t do anything, but Rowahn was just stalling till the torpedoes were ready to fire again.

“Get ready” Rowahn said to the droid who beeped back in annoyance. A second later the missiles were ready, and Rowahn fired. Just as he did so Caedon pulled up, and the missiles flew past their target. Caedon kept climbing, up and into the haze, and Forty-Three followed him all the while firing the turrets at his ship. Caedon was an exceptional pilot, and even though he had shields, he still managed to avoid most of the lasers. Almost immediately, Caedon’s ship could no longer be seen. The Scholar’s’ sensors were still picking up the signal from the other ship, but Forty-Three was flying virtually blind.

They still couldn’t see anything, but Rowahn could hear the Song getting faster, and more dramatic, and he knew something was about to happen. Just before the barrage hit, Rowahn sensed the incoming lasers. Too late to do anything about it, Rowahn hoped the deflector shields would be able to stop all the blasts. It did, but the beeping in the cockpit told him that the shield generators were just about fried. They could not withstand another bombardment like that. Somehow, Rowahn would have to get Caedon to the ground, and deal with him there.

“Fly as if our ship has been severely damaged, and set a course towards the Imperial facility.” Rowahn said to the droid. “I am going to try and get Caedon to the ground.”

After a series of acknowledging beeps, the astromech slowed the ship, and headed towards the facility and out of the haze. Luckily their ship was smoking a bit, so it added to the appearance of a ship damaged and in need of repair. Soon enough they were out of the haze, and Rowahn took over control. They were still keeping an eye on the sensor, making sure they had a location on Caedon. Soon his ship was directly above theirs, and he began to dive. Just as the blasts began flying, Rowahn hit the thrusters, and pulled up sharp. The result was that he was now above Caedon, and as he headed back towards the ground, he was not on Caedon’s tail. Firing the turrets, he watched as they again dissipated harmlessly against the ship’s deflectors. Caedon was too close to the ground now to successfully maneuver out of the way. Rowahn quickly fired the torpedoes, and though he tried to evade them, he was unsuccessful. The torpedoes hit the shields, again doing minimal damage, but the impact hurled the ship downwards, until it hit the ground.

The ship hadn’t moved again, so Rowahn set the Scholar’s Revenge down a little way away, and exited the ship. Quickly but cautiously, Rowahn moved across the open ground towards Caedon’s ship. He could see Caedon and his crew standing outside the ship. There were five of them total, and the only one Rowahn even slightly worried about was Caedon. Four others? Rowahn thought. He must have picked up some more crew on one of his stops. Still, even for him, five on one wasn’t great odds. He was still a ways away, and the mercenaries were tense. He would enjoy this battle.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2018, 12:44:50 AM »

Sorry for such a long wait between chapters. I was having a hard time trying to get this to work. It is also relatively short in comparison to the rest of my chapters, but I couldn't find a way to prolong it without stealing from the next chapter. Hopefully it wont be quite as long for my next chapter. Roll Eyes

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #89 on: March 12, 2018, 02:42:44 AM »

Sorry for such a long wait between chapters. I was having a hard time trying to get this to work. It is also relatively short in comparison to the rest of my chapters, but I couldn't find a way to prolong it without stealing from the next chapter. Hopefully it wont be quite as long for my next chapter. Roll Eyes

Its the appetizer...down on the ground in the haze of the Empires abuse of the environment...two Imperials vying for prestige and power...can't wait but take your time so you're happy with it.

Lord_S_Gray

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: