Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down
Author Topic: Shadow of the Outcast  (Read 47788 times)
Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2018, 05:20:28 AM »

Its the appetizer...down on the ground in the haze of the Empires abuse of the environment...two Imperials vying for prestige and power...can't wait but take your time so you're happy with it.

Well when you put it like that, I actually really like it. This is why I love having you guys comment. It gives me hope and confidence. Thank you.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #91 on: March 12, 2018, 11:11:54 AM »

LSG is right; you can't rush quality  Wink

And what you've given us was a tightly-packed, action-oriented, whirlwind chapter that started strong, delivered as promised, leaving us wanting more!  THAT'S good writing TR! 

And I've got to admit, Caedon is such a great villain, I hope that you do keep him around  Smiley.  Although...given Rowahn's propensities, we might have to be ready to send flowers  Cheesy

Looking forward to your next chapter!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #92 on: March 12, 2018, 12:52:29 PM »

Ditto!  Loved the chapter, its a nice entry into the next phase of this scene - down in the haze of the surface.  :-)

As LSG told me once - a short but well-written entry can be very effective.  This selection told its piece of the story vividly and well.  That's all you can ask.  And good to see you back in action!  WOOT!

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #93 on: March 12, 2018, 07:00:11 PM »

Thanks guys. I have big plans for the next chapter, so I hope I can do it justice. I've got some twists in mind that I hope will keep you guys interested. We will have to see. Thanks again for all the encouraging words.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #94 on: April 25, 2018, 04:50:41 AM »

Just so you know that I am still working on this, and that I haven't forgotten about it, here is something to (hopefully) keep you interesting for the moment being.

Sneak-peak for Chapter 10 of Shadow of the Outcast

Looking up, he saw the grinning face of Caedon Ti-Rell, as well as the angry faces of the kiffar, the iktotchi, and the remaining human. Caedon had his sword tip at Rowahn’s throat, but instead of killing him instantly, he spoke.

“I had every intention for you not to make it this far.” He said in his silky, dangerous voice, “but now that you’re here, I thought, he’s done well so far, let’s see if he is really as powerful as they say he is.” Sheathing his sword, he turned and walked a few paces away, signaling for men to help Rowahn up. Leaving the human to guard Rowahn with his electrostaff, the other two went and began to set up crates around in a fairly large circle. It was an arena.

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #95 on: April 25, 2018, 05:34:24 AM »

Sheathing his sword, he turned and walked a few paces away, signaling for men to help Rowahn up. Leaving the human to guard Rowahn with his electrostaff, the other two went and began to set up crates around in a fairly large circle. It was an arena.

Has this guy never seen a James Bond Film!!! Looking forward to it TR.

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #96 on: April 25, 2018, 11:38:42 AM »

Just so you know that I am still working on this, and that I haven't forgotten about it, here is something to (hopefully) keep you interesting for the moment being.

Sneak-peak for Chapter 10 of Shadow of the Outcast

Looking up, he saw the grinning face of Caedon Ti-Rell, as well as the angry faces of the kiffar, the iktotchi, and the remaining human. Caedon had his sword tip at Rowahn’s throat, but instead of killing him instantly, he spoke.

“I had every intention for you not to make it this far.” He said in his silky, dangerous voice, “but now that you’re here, I thought, he’s done well so far, let’s see if he is really as powerful as they say he is.” Sheathing his sword, he turned and walked a few paces away, signaling for men to help Rowahn up. Leaving the human to guard Rowahn with his electrostaff, the other two went and began to set up crates around in a fairly large circle. It was an arena.
Have you ever had an appetizer that was so delicious it was over too soon, leaving you wanting more?

THIS is like THAT

Good to see Rowahn (and you, TR) back!  Can't wait for the full installment!

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #97 on: April 25, 2018, 01:19:59 PM »

LOL   Oh my....

CAN'T YOU HEAR THE MUSIC?Huh   

Or, referencing one of my all-time favorite films...

"He's got me on a platter and what does he do?  He starts monologing!"

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #98 on: May 25, 2018, 06:51:00 AM »

For the sake of understanding, I recommend rereading the ending of Chapter 9 due to length of time between chapters being posted.

Chapter 10
Part 1

Before attacking, Rowahn took the time to observe what his opponents were wielding. Caedon had his A280-CFE rifle configured as an Assault Rifle, along with a sword Rowahn assumed was made from either phrik or songsteel. Three of the crewmen wielded electrostaffs as well as a various assortment of blaster pistols. Rowahn could see at least three DH-17s, a SE-14C, and a X-8 Night Sniper. Besides the blaster pistols, the remaining two had both had vibro-blades, and one had a SWS-1013 projectile launcher. These men knew what they were about to fight, and had come prepared.

Too bad. Rowahn thought with a smile. All those fancy weapons, and it ain’t gonna do ‘em any good.

Slowly, Rowahn strode out of the shadows, and into the view of the mercenaries. As soon as they noticed him, they all moved into a battle stance, except Caedon. Caedon just stood there looking at Rowahn. Had he not had his helmet on, Caedon would have been able to see that their eyes were locked in a death stare. As it was, Rowahn could feel the anxiety start to rise as he continued to stalk towards them. Rowahn felt it before he saw anything. The mercenary with the projectile launcher – who he could now distinguish as a kiffar – gave in to his fear, and launched a missile at him. As soon as the other mercenaries saw this, they too began firing. Rowahn easily caught the projectile with the Force, and threw it away. Still walking towards them, though his speed was growing, Rowahn drew his saber, and began deflecting the bolts. There was no reason to deflect them back at the men directly, so Rowahn let them go wherever. Still, Caedon just stood there, waiting.

Rowahn barely heard the beeping over the sounds of blaster fire, and as it was, it was too late. The proximity mine went off. Shielding himself from the blast with the Force, he successfully avoided taking any damage, though he was still thrown to the side a ways. As he began moving once again, he reached out with the Force, and ripped the projectile launcher away from the man before he had a chance to fire it again. Finally Caedon moved. As Rowahn brought his saber up in from of his face to block a bolt, Caedon disappeared. Rowahn could still sense his presence, but he could no longer see the pantoran.

Still keeping an eye out for Caedon, Rowahn moved. Quickly closing the space through the Force between him and an iktotchi with an electrostaff. As the alien spun his staff, Rowahn swung his own saber. He wasn’t trying to kill the alien instantly, he wanted to lure at least one of the other two humans with an electrostaff closer. Unfortunately, the iktotchi was far more skilled with the staff than one would think, causing Rowahn to have to change tactics. Pressing the attack, Rowahn soon had the upper hand. After parrying a high strike from the mercenary, Rowahn used to momentum to continue the spin over his head, clipping the left cranial horn from the iktotchi’s head. As the alien staggered back in shock and pain, Rowahn began to advance. But in his overconfidence, he had failed to notice the human sneaking up behind him. Sensing him too late, Rowahn tried to spin, but the man had already struck. The electricity coursed through Rowahn’s body, and he let out a grunt of pain. However, Rowahn remained standing, and quickly moved out of the way.

Rowahn quickly checked the positions of the rest of the mercs, but still could not get a visual on Caedon. Turning his attention back to the three enemies advancing towards him warily. One pulled out his blaster and fired towards Rowahn. The blasts were hastily aimed, and easily deflected, but it allowed for the mercenaries to get closer to Rowahn. On a whim, Rowahn jumped, using the Force to push himself farther and higher than should be possible, landing in between the two remaining mercenaries, the kiffar and a cerean, the kiffar had already pulled out his vibro-blade in one hand, with his blaster in the other. The cerean now did the same, and they both began blasting at Rowahn. The other three mercenaries were still a ways away, so Rowahn began deflecting shots in their direction. The dodged them easily, but it did cause them to slow down.

Continuing to spin and deflect the fire, Rowahn slowly moved towards the kiffar. He noticed, and tried to fire more shots faster. Unfortunately for him, the blasts could not penetrate Rowahn’s saber wall, and Rowahn quickly reached out with the Force, and pulled the blaster away, knocking the man off balance, and providing the opening for Rowahn to come in for the kill. The merc made a wild slash that Rowahn easily sidestepped before lifting the man with the Force, and hurling him towards the cerean. Then jumping towards them both, Rowahn began swinging his saber in wide arcs, still avoiding or deflecting blaster fire. The cerean had managed to mostly avoid the flying kiffar, but Rowahn’s blade was now forcing him to retreat.

Suddenly, the cerean changed tactics, rolling forward under Rowahn’s swing, he came up close, and lashed out at Rowahn’s legs. Rowahn jumped back, right into the staff of one of the humans. Again, he felt the electricity coursing through him as he struggle to stay up. Leaping forward to get away from the electrostaff, he landed in the center of the two humans and the cerean. Beginning a series of spins, eclipsing his whole body, and keeping the mercenaries from getting too close. Standing now in the center of a whirling blade of death, he advanced towards the nearest human. The human tried to break the wall, but he could find no opening to exploit. Soon Rowahn stopped his blade, and swung towards the mercenary. He raised his staff to block, but Rowahn did the unexpected. He deactivated his saber, and once it passed the staff he activated it again, the blade emerging and neatly decapitated the man. Before the human even hit the ground, Rowahn was running towards the cerean. The cerean dropped his blaster, and raised his vibro-blade into a middle guard, and prepared for my attack. He didn’t however prepare for what I did next. He had no way too.

Reaching out, with the Force, I grabbed his blaster off the ground where he had just dropped it, and turned it on him. Gripping it with the Force as Rowahn was, it had no chance of recoil, and all five blasts flew into his chest. Looking down in shock at his blaster, and then at his chest, then backup towards Rowahn he finally fell forward face first onto the ground.

Spinning, Rowahn advanced on the remaining trio. However, the kiffar had picked his fallen SWS-1013 back up, and fired another projectile at Rowahn. The missile hit the ground in front of him, and as it exploded, Rowahn was thrown backwards. He lay on the ground stunned from the explosion. His ears ringing, the wound in his shoulder throbbing, even the wounds from his battles on Belassar and Twith were throbbing again.

Slowly his vision began to clear, as he channeled the Force for healing. It sounded different. Not the intense, dramatic music while battling, this was more along the lines of a slow and relaxed, but incredibly beautiful dance. It was strange seeing – or rather, hearing – the song in such a different manner. Who knew that it could be so beautiful, it was so similar to something he’d seen before. Something. . . Synyps! Rowahn thought with surprise, but his mind did not have the opportunity to dwell on the strange creatures, for he was brought back to reality with a jolt of electricity.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #99 on: May 25, 2018, 06:52:14 AM »

Chapter 10
Part 2

“What’s in the crates?” Rowahn asked, his new mask no longer had a voice changer, but his voice was still garbled as it came through the speaker. Man, he hated the new helmet. It was just annoying.

“You’ll find out soon enough.” Caedon said, then continued, “We know you have some skills with a Lightsaber, and with the “Force”, but how are you without the Force?” Just as he asked the question, the two mercenaries fired up the machines they had taken from the crates, creating a null-zone. Or “Force-Void” as he had heard some call it. Rowahn immediately tensed up. His wounds stopped healing, the pain was no longer being suppressed, and returned in full force. The intensity of pain’s return cleared his mind, and though it hurt, Rowahn channeled the pain into focus. He understood what Caedon was doing. He was challenging Rowahn to a duel, and thought that by taking away Rowahn’s connection to the Force, he would take away any advantage that Rowahn might have. Hah! Rowahn thought. Caedon couldn’t know that Rowahn had trained for this type of situation. He had deliberately practiced in rooms designed to negate any Force powers. While Rowahn did trust the Force with his life, he didn’t rely on it.

Rowahn’s saber had already been confiscated, and it didn’t seem that Caedon had any intention of letting him use it. Instead Caedon brought him the vibro-blade of the fallen cerean. “If you are really as powerful as they all say, you might stand a chance against me.” Caedon said confidant in his own abilities, and with that, Caedon attacked.

Caedon’s sword had the advantage of reach, and he used that advantage to keep Rowahn from getting too close. He swung diagonal, low to high, and Rowahn pretended to barely dodge the strike. He was smiling as he led Caedon on. The next swing came from the right, just below the shoulder. Again, Rowahn hopped backwards, barely avoiding the blade. Caedon moved quickly, never allowing an opening for Rowahn to exploit.

The battle continued with Rowahn occasionally blocking, but usually dodging the swings. He knew in order for him to actually beat Caedon, he would have to make him extremely overconfident. After a powerful downwards strike towards Rowahn’s head that Rowahn blocked as he sidestepped out of the way, Caedon spun around, and went for a series of blows. High left, low left, midriff right, right shoulder, neck, then just above the ankles. Rowahn dodged or parried them all until the swipe towards his legs. Caedon had overextended himself just slightly, and Rowahn threw himself into a dive roll, over the blade, and coming up behind Caedon. Rowahn was already up when Caedon spun around, dealing him a kick to the chest, and knocking him backwards. Caedon, though off balance, kept himself standing, and renewed his attack.

Another series of strikes came as Rowahn slowly began turning the battle against Caedon. Caedon was still winning, but he was having a much harder time of it. As with most things Caedon did, he was a master swordsman, never keeping the same rhythm, constantly changing and never developing a pattern. He did not want to become predictable, and thus changed styles and forms often. Sometimes going only for shoulder and higher strikes, sometimes varying heights. This time he went for the right shoulder, the neck, the right shoulder again, then switched and struck at Rowahn’s left hip twice. The final strike in the series Rowahn parried, turning the blade outwards. Using the opportunity, Rowahn spun inside Caedon’s guard, elbowing him in the face, and then kneed him in the stomach, and kicked him backwards. This time Caedon fell.

Rowahn backed up and let Caedon rise. Blood dripped from the blue man’s nose, and he quickly wiped it away. Caedon was angry now, but he didn’t allow it to take control of himself. Moving back towards Rowahn he swung. Rowahn sidestepped, letting the blade fly past him. He was baiting Caedon, trying to make him lose control. Caedon swung again, and Rowahn sidestepped once more. The third swing from Caedon, Rowahn blocked out of the way as he sidestepped, grabbing Caedon’s arm, and throwing him away from himself, and into one of the Force dampening generators. The blade of Caedon’s sword pierced into the generator, causing it to sputter and crackle before dying. As Caedon extracted the blade from the now destroyed generator, he turned around to face Rowahn once again, but instead of charging Rowahn, he stopped. Taking a deep breath, he looked at Rowahn and said.

“Let’s try this again.”

Rowahn didn’t know what he was talking about until Caedon attacked. He channeled his fury into his blows, though he did not succumb to it. The speed of the attacks caught Rowahn off guard, and he was hard pressed for a few moments while trying to recover. In that time, Caedon managed to successfully strike Rowahn, though it was just a glancing blow to the shoulder. Same shoulder as that women hit the other day! Rowahn thought with a grimace of pain. As Caedon swung, both hands on the sword, Rowahn did a backwards roll, coming up a little ways away, and completely avoiding the strike. However, Caedon was back on him almost faster than Rowahn could recover. Barely bringing his blade up to block fast enough, he was sent reeling backwards again trying to regain his balance. Rowahn stumbled into another of the generators, allowing him to balance against it.

Rowahn crouched waiting for Caedon’s next strike. When Caedon swung, Rowahn dove to the side, out of the reach of Caedon’s blade. The blade struck the generator, and it sputtered and sparked before finally dying. That’s two. Rowahn thought as he stood. He waited till Caedon had extracted his sword from the generator before he attacked. Caedon was off balance, and he had a hard time recovering as Rowahn struck. However, Caedon’s swordsmanship prowess once again shone through, as he quickly turned the battle back against Rowahn. Their blades clashed, but instead of holding it there, Caedon instantly took a step back, causeing Rowahn to stumble forwards, and then kicked him in the face. The helmet protected his face, but still Rowahn stumbled backwards, reeling from the kick until he lost his balance and landed on his back. Rowahn tried to crawl away, but he couldn’t move fast enough to get far enough away from Caedon to stand back up. As Caedon began swinging his blade at Rowahn, he was forced to dodge as best as he could. He tried to block a strike, but Caedon twisted the blade out of his hands. It landed behind Caedon, out of reach of Rowahn. Rowahn rolled bacwards, coming up on his feet, then when Caedon swung, Rowahn dove over the top of the blade, rolling behind Caedon, and grabbing the vibro-blade as he came back up.

“Nicely done.” Caedon said,  “I can honestly say I did not expect that.”

The he attacked again. Again, he showed his mastery as he constantly changed his technique. The battle had been going for long enough now that Rowahn could see some weaknesses in his skill. Ceadon favored powerful torso strikes from the left, but was much more delicate when attacking from the right. And even though he rarely used flourishes, whenever Rowahn was off balance, he would do either a full body spin to add some momentum to his swing, or else reposition his blade with an eclipse spin. Rowahn would have to be careful about exploiting these weaknesses, because he would probably only get one chance to do so with each, before Caedon caught on, and modified his attacks.

Rowahn let himself be pushed back till they were almost near the edge of the arena, then started attacking, and turning Caedon towards the third generator. He did want to beat Caedon without the Force, but he did want to be able to access it should something go wrong. Slowly he gained some ground against Caedon, but then the culmination of his wounds, and the extended battle caused him to miss a step. As he stumbled forward he reached his hand out to catch himself as he fell towards the ground. Caedon took the opportunity to sidestep, and grab Rowahn’s arm, throwing him to the ground. Rowahn rolled with the fall, but could not get up instantly. As he climbed to his feet, he noticed the generator on his right. Slowly he raised his vibro-blade into a defensive stance. Caedon charged forwards, and swung from the left. Here we go. Rowahn thought as the wide, powerful blow came towards him. stepping backwards and dodging the blade, he also caught it with his own blade, then redirected it right into the generator.

The generator turned the blade aside with only minimal damage, but Rowahn left it as it was trying not to look like he was purposely destroying the generators. As the battle continued, he could see that even Caedon was beginning to tire. Slowly the fought back and forth around the arena until they were near the final generator. Then with a burst of reserve energy, Rowahn  turned and slammed his blade into the forth generator. Then quickly wrenching it free, he didn’t wait to make sure that the generator died. He instantly used his adrenaline to disarm Caedon, striking him across the face with the hilt of his own vibro-blade as Caedon’s sword flew out of his hands. Caedon fell backwards, and tried to scramble for his sword. Rowahn let him recover it, and stand up again, but then he attacked again. Quickly Caedon lost ground. His strength and energy rapidly depleting against the Inquisitor’s onslaught. All he could really do was retreat and try and stay out of Rowahn’s reach.

Nothing he could do was enough, and Rowahn just kept pushing him back until he finally tripped and fell to the ground. Again he tried to crawl away, but he was too slow. Rowahn ran forward, and  kicked Caedon in the chest. Picking up Caedon fallen sword, he was about to kill Caedon. However, he stopped. Staring at Caedon, he looked into his eyes and saw the fear, but also the anger and defiance at being treated so terribly all his life. Beyond that, he saw the hate. The unquenchable rage of a man who thought himself the best, but had just been beaten. It was a disgrace worse than death. A punishment worse than anything the Empire could inflict. He had ruined his life forever.

Stepping backwards, Rowahn began to laugh. Not a laugh of joyfulness, but rather one of mockery. “All you wanted to do was prove that you could best one of the Empire’s greatest warriors, yet you failed. I could kill you now, but that would be a mercy. And you don’t understand mercy do you. You don’t understand the idea that it is okay for someone to not get what they deserve. And because of that, this moment will haunt you the rest of your miserable life.” Turning, Rowahn began to walk away, but then turned once more and said “The funny thing is, I still feel like I should kill you, if only so you don't keep following me.” Then he stabbed Caedon’s sword into the ground and started walking away.

Caedon’s men saw what was happening, and per instruction, they quickly raised their weapons about to fire. Rowahn spun, and threw his vibro-blade at the final Force Dampening Generator. The blade flew true, and hit the generator. At the same time, Rowahn began to run, barreling straight towards the mercenaries. As the generator began to sputter and the field began to drop. Rowahn immediately felt the pain of his wounds begin to heal as the Force flowed back through him. He could once again hear the song of battle flowing through and around him.

Caedon’s men began to fire, and with Force augmented speed and instincts, Rowahn easily began to dodge the flying plasma. Picking one of the mercenaries up with the Force, Rowahn threw him at the other two. They all collapsed in a heap, and laid there moaning. Rowahn stopped running, and looked back at Caedon as he lay upon the ground, considering one last time whether he should finish him off or not. As the song of battle faded in his mind, a more peaceful tune rose. A song of mercy this time. Turning away, Rowahn walked towards his ships landing zone.

It was a short walk back to the ship, and Rowahn was soon exiting Myomar’s atmosphere. Turning to Forty-Three, Rowahn asked, “have you been able to keep following Jord’s tracker?” After the droid blipped his reply, Rowahn continued, “Good. Plot a course for her last known location then.”

Soon the droid had entered the coordinates, and was engaging the hyperdrive. As the ship entered lightspeed, the blue walls spiraled around outside the cockpit. It was a bit disorientating sometimes, but after enough trips, you get used to the dizziness, and it no longer affects you. Or so they said. Rowahn still occasionally felt a bit queasy, but he didn’t always know what caused it.

Then he felt it. First in the Force, then in the ship itself. The ship shuddered, he felt an explosion. The blue walls where quickly torn away, and the ship hurled into real space. The ship was smoking, and barely controllable as it hurtled through the emptiness. Then they started picking up speed. The ship was caught in the gravitational pull of a planet they they had emerged next too. The ship’s engines had been damaged in the blast and did not have enough power to control their decent, so the Lancer-class pursuit craft freighter plummeted planetward almost without resistance.

R4-T3 was already trying to repair the damage enough to stabilize the thrusters, and get some power back to the engines, but they still wouldn’t have nearly enough time to get control of the ship before it hit the ground. The ship was about 150 meters above the surface when the engines came back online, and they were still falling fast. Rowahn quickly yanked up on the controls but he knew he wouldn’t be able to pull out of the dive fast enough. With the ground quickly approaching, Rowahn knew he would somehow have to soften the crash, but there was no way he would be able to prevent it.

“Prepare for impact!” he yelled back to the droid, then the dirt and debris covered the cockpit window.

A few minutes later Rowahn awoke. His ears were ringing, and his head was pounding. He tried to rise, but the dizziness almost kept him off his feet. Finally, he was able to stand enough to head to the rear of the ship looking for Forty-Three. He found him tangled in a mess of wires and parts. After he hadicked the droid up and removed him from his entanglements, Rowahn and Forty-Three headed for the entry ramp. It was jammed shut.

“We won’t be getting out that way” Rowahn commented offhandedly to which the droid replied with some fairly weak expletives -- for an Astromech anyways.

“Of course we’re gonna see if the docking hatch will open, but you don’t have to talk to me like that.” Rowahn replied a bit annoyed. They quickly made their way to the docking bay, but it too had been damaged by the crash.

“Blip blip squee bloop” R4-T3 stated.

“No, that’s a terrible idea.” Rowahn replied. “If you want to be ejected with that much force, you are free to go into an escape pod by yourself. But I already hit the ground hard enough once today.” The droid whined dejectedly, but didn’t push the matter any further.

After a moment Rowahn spoke, “I’ll cut the cockpit window out, and we can get out that way. We are going to have to go find a city or something to get repairs done. Are there even any cities nearby?” Then turning to the droid, “What planet are we even on?”

The droid quickly answered, and then headed for an escape pod. “Vicondor. I guess we didn’t end up too far out of the way then. Wait, why are you still going to the escape pod?” Rowahn said. Another series of beeps and whistles, then a grunt of satisfaction. “Cut our way out of an escape pod rather than waste the cockpit window. Good thinking droid. Or should I say processing.” He added for insult.

Soon they were outside the ship. The first things they noticed where the higher-than-standard gravity, and the fairly intense heat. “This is not going to be a fun walk.” Rowahn stated. Just then they heard the engines of another ship overhead. Looking up, Rowahn saw a YT-2400 light freighter. Caedon Ti-Rell’s freighter.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #100 on: May 25, 2018, 02:20:08 PM »

Wow...    Caedon just will NOT give up!   Rowahn's confusion about his motives, injecting mercy into a fight, are so un-Inquisitorious like.  He's obviously going through a weather-change in his own views and practices and doesn't quite realize it yet, but those changes are affecting his decision-making. 

And someone sabotaged his freighter.  Hmm.  Wonder who might have done that?  Maybe the guy who just showed up at the crash site?

"Wait a minute, there....  We're not done yet..."  LOL

Worth the wait, Taegin!  Looking forward to Ch11!  :-)

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #101 on: May 26, 2018, 02:37:49 AM »

This chapter was a real treat!  Doubly long, it was the fight that you've been setting up for quite some time.  And you didn't disappoint!  Love the switch back from Rowahn vs. multiple targets, then Rowahn vs. Caedon, then back again  Smiley.  And talk about "determinator:" both Rowahn and Caedon do NOT give up!!

What I like most is just how close the skills of both compare; there was real tension, not just the expectation that "Rowahn wins, Caedon dies."  Well done!

Besides, Caedon is almost OK good a bad guy to kill  Grin

And, amazingly, we still haven't caught up to Jord!

P.S. Love the reference to D'Aylanna  Wink

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #102 on: May 27, 2018, 05:02:14 AM »

Started in hubris and eneded in disaster on both sides - Caedon though the had him caught, Rowhan thought he was too strong.  They both had good plans, but born of their confidence, Rowahn simply seemed to adapt to the situation better taking out the generators. The question is will Rowhans mercy come back to haunt him...well 'mercy' might not be the right word - and i think that was the best part of this, he spares him "Not a laugh of joyfulness, but rather one of mockery"  again that pride, mingled with budding feeling of mercy, its like he's justifying his 'good' actions with bad mocking reasons...or maybe he is performing mocking actions with a 'good' glaze?  either way it is a fascinating uncertain emotional state he's in...in between these competing feelings which we've seen in earlier chapters - perhaps that is the real battle of the series, not Rowahn vs Caedon but Rowahn vs. Rowahn.

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #103 on: May 27, 2018, 05:51:09 AM »

You guys are good. I have subtly been trying to add in little themes, some of which are never even stated, but are kind of visible through actions, and you guys have caught on to them. I'm pretty sure that I am more excited to read you guys' replies than I am to read/write the story. I love the encouragement, but also reading your interpretations of what is happening. So far none of you are wrong, but (until this one anyways) you also haven't been completely right either. I am glad that you all picked up on the Mercy theme in this one. And the fact that even though he called it mercy that his intentions may not have been merciful, but rather prideful. I think you will see this come in to play starting in the next chapter. Again, thanks for reading, and I will definitely try and get Chapter 11 written faster than I have these last two. I look forward to getting to a point where I can maybe do some collaborations with you guys.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #104 on: May 28, 2018, 04:55:00 PM »

You guys are good. I have subtly been trying to add in little themes, some of which are never even stated, but are kind of visible through actions, and you guys have caught on to them. I'm pretty sure that I am more excited to read you guys' replies than I am to read/write the story. I love the encouragement, but also reading your interpretations of what is happening. So far none of you are wrong, but (until this one anyways) you also haven't been completely right either. I am glad that you all picked up on the Mercy theme in this one. And the fact that even though he called it mercy that his intentions may not have been merciful, but rather prideful. I think you will see this come in to play starting in the next chapter. Again, thanks for reading, and I will definitely try and get Chapter 11 written faster than I have these last two. I look forward to getting to a point where I can maybe do some collaborations with you guys.

The subtle themes and character development are the best part!  And if we ever DO guess right ... just change the story.  ;-)  LOL

You're doing great, my friend.  And if you're anything like me you've grown from the feedback here.  Every writer really needs a group to work with to develop and grown and sometimes just to finish.  Just ask J.R.R. Tolkien and the "Inklings".  :-)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: